PDA

View Full Version : Automatically tipping servers via Interac or Credit Card?

DavidC
10-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Inspired by the "I just got not-tipped" thread (sorry, can't remember the title):

---

When you get your bill at a restaurant now, they always have a spot for you to write a tip in. I always write zero and tip in cash. However, I never tip until I leave, and if I'm paying by a card, they have to bring me back the bill, in which case I'm sitting there and my tip isn't on the table yet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So it's awkward (I hope I spelled that correctly) when you get this option on your bill.

The reasons that I don't tip electronically are:

-turnaround time: I want the server to get their tip immediately
-potential costs to the server (i.e. house takes x% of tip to cover visa fees or whatever).
-I'd prefer that the server be allowed to get this tip in cash, for tax purposes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, please discuss your thoughts on electronic tipping, and if you're a server, please let us know some of the positives / negatives of this method.

Thanks,
Dave.

scotty34
10-15-2005, 08:02 PM
At least at my restaurant, we did get all our tips in cash. At our end of the day cashout, we count up what we owe, pay that to the float and keep the rest.

10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Don't they usually just give the server cash out of the register when you leave a tip via card?

dblgutshot
10-15-2005, 08:16 PM
I was a waiter for a while and the whether the tip was cash or electronic made absolutely zero difference for me.

Claunchy
10-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Most of this stuff does not matter to waiters at all. When they check out, they are required to turn in a certain amount of cash that already has accounted for their tips on charge, so they receive the money that same day. The only reason tipping with cash is slightly more advantageous for the server is that there's no physical evidence as to how much they were tipped; therefore, they can claim less and pay slightly less tax.

bravos1
10-15-2005, 08:38 PM
just write "cash" on the tip line and duplicate the pre-tip amount in the total line. Problem solved.

Claunchy
10-15-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just write "cash" on the tip line and duplicate the pre-tip amount in the total line. Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]
I always thought those people were kinda dorky. Nothing big though, at least they're tipping.

peachy
10-15-2005, 08:58 PM
all the places ive worked...even the credit card tips we get in cash when we leave...is it not the same everywhere?

DavidC
10-15-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
10-15-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all the places ive worked...even the credit card tips we get in cash when we leave...is it not the same everywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing that: two sources are better than one... I'd always assumed that it would run up a weekly tab or whatever and be added to your paycheque... I was wrong, though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. It's awesome that you got a pink name! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

STLantny
10-15-2005, 10:05 PM
OP is right, most places, well, at least most higher end places that do 75%+ in Credit, tip out at the end of the week in check form, most places also take 3-5% out of the tips for processing fees. Pay by credit, write cash on the line, tip in cash. Best way imo.

10-15-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OP is right, most places, well, at least most higher end places that do 75%+ in Credit, tip out at the end of the week in check form, most places also take 3-5% out of the tips for processing fees. Pay by credit, write cash on the line, tip in cash. Best way imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I worked in a large 5 star resort chain for a while, they never paid cash. Credit card or room charge tips were paid fortnightly with your regular pay, and of course taxed. The [censored] also limited a single tip to $100, so if someone offered an excellent waiter a $500 tip (which happened from time to time), they would pay you $100 out of it. Rumor from the finance guys was that they kept the rest, but I'm not 100% on that. Oh and the wage was $13/hour, so we didn't rely on them or anything.

OP: Thanks for being thoughtful about this, I'm sure many waiters appreciate it.