PDA

View Full Version : ATo go all in

AZK
10-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Button ($2099.50)</font>
SB ($1980)
BB ($2000)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($1160)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($2543)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG+2 ($2473)</font>
<font color="#C00000">MP1 ($4637)</font>
MP2 ($1813.50)
MP3 ($1024)
CO ($1820)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $10.
UTG calls $20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, UTG+2 calls $100, MP1 calls $100, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $1140 (All-In), Hero calls $2443 (All-In).

Final Pot: $4033

UTG is loose bad, sometimes gets funky, I regularly isolate his limps with hands such as these, the problem is the rest of the table has caught on I think, I mean they probably don't realize I'm isolating, they probably just view me as pretty active preflop, hence the row of cold calls. I thought this was fun. Thoughts?

kagame
10-15-2005, 05:56 PM
against someone this bad, why cant you find a better spot?

there isnt THAT much dead money

iceman5
10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Isoloating him is fine, but do you really want to call his all in with AT? Do you really think youre ahead? Or even a coinflip?

If youve been isolating him alot, he may have limped waiting for you to raise so he could push with a big pair or big ace. I dont like it.

gol4pro
10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Unless he does this with A2-A9 a large chunk of the time, I hate it.

baronzeus
10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
i dont like it but im a limit player whos learning. UTG+1 9 handed is this a standard raise?

gol4pro
10-15-2005, 06:08 PM
For a TAG, ATo is a fold UTG+1 in most games. Some bad ones it's a call/raise, but usually a fold.

For a LAG, it's probably a raise.

Ulysses
10-15-2005, 06:39 PM
When you isolate him, does he usually call or re-raise? If call, then I don't like your play at all.

iceman5
10-15-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you isolate him, does he usually call or re-raise? If call, then I don't like your play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you dont like it if the guy reraises alot either do you?

Popinjay
10-15-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you dont like it if the guy reraises alot either do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? His hand range is larger thus making this play perhaps sensible. I don't like it though as ATo is not going to dominate as much as it will be dominated here.

AZK
10-15-2005, 08:18 PM
I normally muck ATo, but this person plays a lot of hands and likes to call raises so I that is why I raised. He raises a fair amount too, so when he limps UTG I know it's not a big ace or AA-JJ. TT is borderline. Given his stack size and the # of cold callers after me I was pretty confident he was making a play for the pot...I don't know, I thought this was easy...he had a small pair and I hit.

flawless_victory
10-15-2005, 08:20 PM
yeah, i like it... seems like he is almost always gonna have 55-99 here... ive seen this behavior before. it is also good for your image (especially when you win) and its fun.

iceman5
10-16-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I normally muck ATo, but this person plays a lot of hands and likes to call raises so I that is why I raised. He raises a fair amount too, so when he limps UTG I know it's not a big ace or AA-JJ. TT is borderline. Given his stack size and the # of cold callers after me I was pretty confident he was making a play for the pot...I don't know, I thought this was easy...he had a small pair and I hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were 100% sure he has a pair below tens then I would say its ok, because of the dead money, but do you really want to just take a coin flip for a full stack against a guy who you have a big edge over? Without doing the math, it seems that even if he has a bigger ace than you only 10% of the time and TT or higher 10% of the time, I think its got to be -EV.

I dont like gambling with a guy I can outplay. Also, if your $100 raise got called that many times, I would think youve probably been raising too much to try to isloate that guy from that close to UTG it with a hand like AT that will be dominated way too often by someone behind you.

AZK
10-16-2005, 01:12 AM
1) he only had 1000, 2) yes someone may have me dominated behind but they aren't going to stick their neck out for 2k to find out (i.e. I doubt JJ,AQ/AJ are going to), AK/QQ/AA/KK I would have expected to raise somewhere along the line..

iceman5
10-16-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) he only had 1000, 2) yes someone may have me dominated behind but they aren't going to stick their neck out for 2k to find out (i.e. I doubt JJ,AQ/AJ are going to), AK/QQ/AA/KK I would have expected to raise somewhere along the line..

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I was thinking it was 5/10..not 10/20
2) I meant that the initial $100 raise might not be a good idea because if that many people called it, youve must be raising preflop alot before this hand. The idea of the raise was to isolate UTG, but do you really want to play AT multiway out of position in a big pot? I have no problem reraising all in if youre going to continue. I doubt anyone is going to call your all in behind you.

edge
10-16-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont like gambling with a guy I can outplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I'm not a fan of. I'd love to take 0EV gambles with players that are worse than me. It helps your image and changes the texture of the game, and that's vastly underappreciated on this board. The way I play, if I can get the table gambling, I feel I can outplay my opponents to a greater extent than in a rock garden.

creedofhubris
10-16-2005, 03:21 AM
If the preflop isolation raises aren't working, then you have to stop making them. No point jacking up the pot out of position with a crap trap hand like ATo.

As to the all-in call, it's obviously super read dependent and your default should be to fold. High variance to boot.

outdrwn
10-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I would think AZK should be smarter than to play A10 UTG+1 at a full table. But then again, fish are delicious(especially for bankroll), and especially those who make these kinds of plays. Patience, AZK, patience. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

outdrwn
10-16-2005, 12:38 PM
and also he'll call a maniac with AQs but not raise, yet he'll raise here with A10 UTG+1....counter intuitive? These plays from someone who's supposed to be a good player sicken me.

mgsimpleton
10-16-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and also he'll call a maniac with AQs but not raise, yet he'll raise here with A10 UTG+1....counter intuitive? These plays from someone who's supposed to be a good player sicken me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. i can't put into words why i find this statement hilarious, but i do.

you do realize these were 2 different hands, right?

outdrwn
10-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, 2 different hands, one ended up in a HUGE variance coinflip, and one ending up with letting a maniac in with any 2, liable to break him, while letting him(maniac) fold cheaply on the flop if he misses.. Funny, maybe, but only if you think good, +EV plays are funny...suckaaaaaa