PDA

View Full Version : Short-Handed Play Continued

10-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Should I act more aggressive at a single table when it is down to 4-5 players? I think, acting in this manner you could steal many of the Blinds, but I believe you have to raise at least 3xBB to steal from the BB b/c 2xBB is just offering to much for the sake of pot odds. For instance if my stack is 6-10XBB, what range of hands should I open raise (3xBB) with?

10-15-2005, 03:41 PM
I know you'd like a simple precise answer to this, and also to the other question you just posted, but sorry my friend. When you start talking about hand ranges, the answer is almost always going to be "it depends." It depends on the stacks, and on the size of the blinds relative to the stacks, and on your position, and on their calling ranges, and on your image, and even a little bit on your hand.

It's a dynamic game, and there aren't many easy answers. But actually the second part of your question is kind of answerable: If you have only 6BB, then if you're going to raise, your best bet is usually all-in. If you bet less, then the only betting option you're going to have on the flop is all-in, and since most flops will miss you, you'll likely be in a tough spot. There are no concrete rules to winning SNG play, but lots of people believe that once you get down to 8-10BB, then if you're going to bet, it's best to just push.

For more information about when to push and when to call when you get shorthanded, you might want to learn about ICM, and you might want to search for information about Eastbay's SNG power tools program. Both of these are linked to in the forum FAQ.