PDA

View Full Version : OT: Which poker discipline requires the greatest skill?

stanzee
10-15-2005, 02:20 PM
This is probably in the wrong forum, but i'll post it here anyway since i mainly only visit 1 table-tourny section.

In my opinion NL Texas holdem requires more skill then limit, but in your opinion which of the other poker disciplines requires the MOST skill?

I got into texas holdem mainly because it's the game they all play on TV and is undoubtedly the most popular form of online poker. Now i want to find a game that has a larger "skill" element for me to try my hand at. In your opinion which of the other games actually involve more skill (if any)? And a side question is, do you play any other games then Texas holdem? If not, do you intend to play any other games?

EDIT: I realise it is impossible to define which game requires the most skill, but just interested in your opinion on which requires the most skill

microbet
10-15-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is probably in the wrong forum, but i'll post it here anyway since i mainly only visit 1 table-tourny section.

In my opinion NL Texas holdem requires more skill then (should be "than") limit, but in your opinion which of the other poker disciplines requires the MOST skill?

I got into texas holdem mainly because it's the game they all play on TV and is undoubtedly the most popular form of online poker. Now i want to find a game that has a larger "skill" element for me to try my hand at. In your opinion which of the other games actually involve more skill (if any)? And a side question is, do you play any other games then Texas holdem? If not, do you intend to play any other games?

EDIT: I realise it is impossible to define which game requires the most skill, but just interested in your opinion on which requires the most skill

[/ QUOTE ]

Stanzee, this is not directed at you. The confusion between when you use "then" or "than" is rampant. This is just a public service announcement. It does not bother me in the least that people don't know which one to use and I don't think any less of anyone's poker analysis because of it.

"than" is used for comparison.

"then" has to do with ordering.

1C5
10-15-2005, 02:58 PM
He don't need no grammer lessens, he is The One.

Irieguy
10-15-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Stanzee, this is not directed at you. The confusion between when you use "then" or "than" is rampant. This is just a public service announcement. It does not bother me in the least that people don't know which one to use and I don't think any less of anyone's poker analysis because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, microbet... you rule.

Also, the word ridiculous has two i's, just like the word ridicule. The misspelling of that word may be even more common on this forum than then or than.

To round off the top 3, I would like to mention that you're using the word "your" incorrectly if you're adding apostrophes to your possessive pronouns or omitting them from your contractions. (nb: Daliman's use of the word "yer" is an acceptable idiomatic replacement for either the possessive pronoun, or the contraction. Therefore, if you can't spell you should probably just always use "yer" like Daliman does.)

Irieguy

PS- This is the first time one of Stanzee's threads may actually be useful.

Oluwafemi
10-15-2005, 03:13 PM
probably Stud, especially at the highest levels. i've read before that a $75-$150 Stud player is more skillful than a $75-$150 Holdem player. i've also read that Pot Limit Holdem is also more skillful than No Limit.

lacky
10-15-2005, 03:28 PM
ok, we've learned that if I demoralize Irie enough at poker that he has to quit and no longer has the confidence to practice medicine do the the low self-esteme side effect, he could always be that anal english teacher we all hated in high school (we'll, except the kids like Irie).

Did we learn anything else useful here? We don't suck cause we aint heard it, we suck cause we dont care.

Steve

splashpot
10-15-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To round off the top 3, I would like to mention that you're using the word "your" incorrectly if you're adding apostrophes to your possessive pronouns or omitting them from your contractions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would also like to add that I frequently see people type into the chat box "Your an idiot" after suffering from a bad beat. This strikes me as ironic and humorous. I once pointed out this error to a player and he responded by saying I was stupid to not realize he was abbreviating.

Another misused phrase that comes to mind is "literally". This is one that annoys me greatly. "I was so late, I literally flew to work". If you are not being literal, don't use that word.

microbet
10-15-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
probably Stud,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is confusing, since Stanzee is such a stud.

10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, the word ridiculous has two i's, just like the word ridicule. The misspelling of that word may be even more common on this forum than then or than.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is often intentionally misspelled.

diebitter
10-15-2005, 04:29 PM
If sticking with holdem, pot-limit is trickier still than Limit/No-limit.

You need to try and build a pot whilst not giving it all away too quickly.

Irieguy
10-15-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, we've learned that if I demoralize Irie enough at poker that he has to quit and no longer has the confidence to practice medicine do the the low self-esteme side effect, he could always be that anal english teacher we all hated in high school (we'll, except the kids like Irie).

Did we learn anything else useful here? We don't suck cause we aint heard it, we suck cause we dont care.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you better as Lacy.

Irieguy

Oluwafemi
10-15-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
probably Stud,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is confusing, since Stanzee is such a stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

it may be to a guy thinking another guy is a Stud, but to me, i'm strictly hetero.

valenzuela
10-15-2005, 04:45 PM
We need to define skill.
I can think of at least 4 variables.
Tilt.
Stamina.
Balls.
Actual poker knowledge.

DrPhysic
10-15-2005, 05:15 PM
IMO, 7 Stud HiLo seems to require the most poker knowledge, memory of cards, ability to read both hands and players, etc.

Doc

(pretty silly offering a straight answer to a thread that has degenerated into a bunch of degenerates playing spelling lessons.)

fisherman112
10-15-2005, 05:56 PM
blind man's bluff

Oluwafemi
10-15-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, 7 Stud HiLo seems to require the most poker knowledge, memory of cards, ability to read both hands and players, etc.

Doc

(pretty silly offering a straight answer to a thread that has degenerated into a bunch of degenerates playing spelling lessons.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Stud 8 is easier when you already know how to play regular Stud.

ilikeaces
10-15-2005, 08:36 PM
5 card draw

Isura
10-15-2005, 08:37 PM
No limit holdem. Stud Hi/Lo is a close second imo. A lot of people will argue that Pot limit requires more skill than no-limit, but I tend to disagree. Very deep stacked no-limit is a very difficult game.

EricW
10-15-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion NL Texas holdem requires more skill then limit, but in your opinion which of the other poker disciplines requires the MOST skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very various things poker disciplines, the two that rank at the top are:

1. Folding AA to a short stack when ITM

2. Opening with K8s UTG in round one of a sit n go

DrPhysic
10-16-2005, 05:16 AM
I agree, but i would list Stud as second on the list behind stud8. I may be wrong. I would listen to an argument that Omaha is more difficult than stud, but imo stud8 and stud are the top of the list.

One reason for that being the requirement that the player memorize every card that is dead from probably 6 hands over 4 streets when betting on 7th street. In order to properly calculate the odds of an opponent having a straight or a flush one must KNOW what cards have been shown in all the hands that are now dead. That is up to 24 cards in every hand. That factor does not exist in Omaha or Hold-em.

Doc

Oluwafemi
10-16-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No limit holdem. Stud Hi/Lo is a close second imo. A lot of people will argue that Pot limit requires more skill than no-limit, but I tend to disagree. Very deep stacked no-limit is a very difficult game.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and that can't be countered by very deep stacked PLH.

Maulik
10-16-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...and that can't be countered by very deep stacked PLH.

[/ QUOTE ]

these games rarely run on the eastcoast.

TheNoodleMan
10-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Stud8 might require the most skill to master, but it actually takes very little time to learn to beat the low limit games.

10-16-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello, There!

I have limited experience (3,025 SNG's NL, 300 SNG's PL, 300 SNG's L). With that understood, for whatever it is worth, my current opinion is that Pot Limit requires the most skill.

Have a great day!

*Smile!* -Geri.

Scuba Chuck
10-16-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is just a public service announcement.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Micro & Irie, just to add: The one word that irks me the most is the misuse of the non-word "irregardless." Folks, regardless IS the word.

10-16-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is just a public service announcement.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Micro & Irie, just to add: The one word that irks me the most is the misuse of the non-word "irregardless." Folks, regardless IS the word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another amusing example is the word "bloviation", which is an example of what it purports to impugn.

stanzee
10-16-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Microbet, this is not directed just at you. But where the fck do some of you get off hijacking Stanzee's posts?

And you know what really gets me? the need for idiots to point out spelling and grammar errors! Is it because your poker skills are so inadequate, that you have to resort to fcking english lessons? Get a fcking life! Honestly!!

It's about time some of you started treating Stanzee's threads with the respect that they deserve!

stupidsucker
10-16-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get this one right every time. I was corrected on it 2 years ago , and I never forgot. I do try...

MegaBet
10-16-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's about time some of you started treating Stanzee's threads with the respect that they deserve!

[/ QUOTE ]

You just don't get it, do you?

Alex/Mugaaz
10-16-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5 card draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Is fairly easy

10-16-2005, 10:15 PM
And while we're talking, how bout this one, as a PSA:

The idiom is, "I COULD'NT care less". If you oculd care less, then you do indeed care.

By the way, the reason that people wish other people would learn grammar was best stated by Gigabet in his famous response to Irie (paraphrased): "If I have to correct your english, then you aren't paying attention to detail. Few if any poker professionals are the type to ignore the small details."

Anyone catch the grammatical mistake in the post? I would like it to be known as 'creative license'.

Scuba Chuck
10-17-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did trolling not pan out for you?

Daliman
10-17-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, if you can't spell you should probably just always use "yer" like daliman does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speling prop bet? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Skipbidder
10-17-2005, 04:23 AM
HORSE

10-17-2005, 05:49 AM
I remember reading some article or whatever where the author described the needed skills in relation to the amount of information available. In 5 card stud you have the game with the most information, that is close to full information. In 5 card draw you have no information about cards, this is close to no information. The author's oppinion was that both of these games depends too much on the cards dealt and you had to find the most skill-demanding game somewhere inbetween these to extremes.
Sorry bout my crammar, english isn't my native thong.

Hendricks433
10-17-2005, 06:43 AM
I agree that HORSE cause you need to be well rounded in all games. RAZZ is just a fricken headache at times in my opinion. I like PL a lot. Im starting to warm up to limit and starting to like it but I think limits kind of easy to play personally.

Cactus Jack
10-17-2005, 09:45 AM
This is such an easy push, I'm stunned no one has submitted it.

The greatest skill is required to get a bad beat post past the average 2+2 member. It is perhaps impossible, as no one has ever successfully pulled it off.

Dragons and unicorns and "this is not a bad beat post"--oh my.

CJ

tourneyplayer
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
irregardless actually IS a word. look it up

10-26-2005, 08:27 PM
How about "unthaw"?

Not a word, thaw should be used.

Scuba Chuck
10-26-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to love trolls on the internet. Before you post, perhaps you should spend some time looking it up. If you want to argue that irregardless is sort of like slang, or ebonics, then there's an argument. One that I will continue to take the opposite position than yours - due to its absurdity.

From Dictionary.com

[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so .

[/ QUOTE ]

TheNoodleMan
10-27-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to love trolls on the internet. Before you post, perhaps you should spend some time looking it up. If you want to argue that irregardless is sort of like slang, or ebonics, then there's an argument. One that I will continue to take the opposite position than yours - due to its absurdity.

From Dictionary.com

[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
and here I thought nothin goot could cum outta discussin grammah on tha interweb...

The Yugoslavian
10-27-2005, 03:09 AM
I can assure you that irregardless is not considered ebonics. Or in a dictionary that covers ebonics.

Hell, I don't even think E40 attempts to pass that off as a word.

Yugoslav

Scuba Chuck
10-27-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can assure you that irregardless is not considered ebonics. Or in a dictionary that covers ebonics.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Irregardless, he's wrong!

10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Off topic (even if it is on the topic, but eh.)

I feel you can't really single one poker game as being the toughest or requiring the most skill. Since it requires such an eclectic array of skills (Odds calculations, betting, "reading" players, and bankroll management to name a few) I don't think you could find a game that every player would agree requires the most skill.

If I had to pick one, for me, would be heads-up NL Hold 'Em, deep stacked, with antes and one blind. Either that or Omaha Hi/Lo. That game is nuts.

pooh74
10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Irregardless, he's wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

So he's right?

pooh74
10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about "unthaw"?

Not a word, thaw should be used.

[/ QUOTE ]

It means "to freeze"