PDA

View Full Version : new house: wiring

surfdoc
10-15-2005, 02:08 PM
I will be moving soon into a new house that is just framed currently. It is for the most part pimped out with stereo and internet wiring but I want to make sure it is optimized for the fastest/best internet possible. It has that cat5 wiring or whatever in addition to cable. Is there anything else I need?

Thanks.

Chief911
10-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Cat6e instead of Cat5.

Nick

surfdoc
10-15-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cat6e instead of Cat5.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the difference. Is this for DSL type of connection and is that better than cable which I currently use?

stabn
10-15-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cat6e instead of Cat5.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the difference. Is this for DSL type of connection and is that better than cable which I currently use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cat5 is going to fit your needs. You don't really need gigabit. Cat5 supports up to 100M which most likely is all your network cards support anyway. Cat5 is not the latest and greatest but will definitely suit any home users needs.

PassiveCaller
10-15-2005, 03:09 PM
As the other poster mentioned. Anything faster then Cat 5 isn't going to be necessary. Your high speed internet (DSL, Cable, etc) won't even get close to maxing out Cat 5.

Chief911
10-15-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will be moving soon into a new house that is just framed currently. It is for the most part pimped out with stereo and internet wiring but I want to make sure it is optimized for the fastest/best internet possible. It has that cat5 wiring or whatever in addition to cable. Is there anything else I need?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I threw in Cat6e, is because this is afterall a house. And therefore could be there for 30+ years. Who knows what will change, but having something that allows for higher capacity isn't all bad. =)

That said, they have finalized the technology to run gigabit internet connectivity over power lines, so meh.

Nick

10-15-2005, 06:03 PM
In 20 years + I'll be damn if cat6e isn't a things of the pass and if we still use cables for Internet in our houses. But yeah I definitly would invest in cat6e instead of cat5 just for the increased bandwidth for a LAN.

If you don't have/need/use a LAN well yeah as others said Cat5 will be fine, but it's almost the same price anyway.

Why not SM optic cables now /images/graemlins/wink.gif

surfdoc
10-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry for th super noobie questions but if the house is wired in cat5 (and my current house is not) will that mean better performance with the cable TV and internet or just the phone, etc? In other words will i have to switch to dsl or can I still use my cable modem?

TheIrishThug
10-16-2005, 04:42 PM
i helped put an addition on a house 2 yrs ago, when it was still being framed, they put in these cheap plastic tubes that would make future wiring much easier and didn't make the owners guess where technology would be going in the future.

Nomad84
10-16-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for th super noobie questions but if the house is wired in cat5 (and my current house is not) will that mean better performance with the cable TV and internet or just the phone, etc? In other words will i have to switch to dsl or can I still use my cable modem?

[/ QUOTE ]

The cat5 only comes into play after the modem, so it will make no difference to the phone, tv, etc. Just internet stuff. Cat5 is the stuff that a normal ethernet cable is typically made of.

Ray Zee
10-16-2005, 10:34 PM
you should be more worried over where the electricain puts the light switches and lights. also think about three ways and four ways. and outside lights. wiring for heat to the gargae. and future needs for plugins and outside plugins.
sane with plumbling stuff. mark my words i have built a bunch of places and if you dont make thedecisions they make what is easiest and cheapest for them.

Guthrie
10-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Run double cat5 wire. If you want to stay fully in spec, you need a splitter on each end of the wire run to separate out telecom and data. You can't just peel back the outer jacket a couple of inches further and hook up two connectors. A splitter on each end costs more than a second wire run.

The4Aces
10-17-2005, 08:30 AM
run fiber optics.

surfdoc
10-17-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you should be more worried over where the electricain puts the light switches and lights. also think about three ways and four ways. and outside lights. wiring for heat to the gargae. and future needs for plugins and outside plugins.
sane with plumbling stuff. mark my words i have built a bunch of places and if you dont make thedecisions they make what is easiest and cheapest for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty far from some random track house with crappy building materials and a goofball contactor. The builder is a neighbor of mine and clearly obscessed with perfection on so many levels it goes well beyond what I could ever think of not being in the home building business. (which is great except for the cost) I appeciate your input though and agree that how the house is wired for internet poker should not be a major concern but I am just trying to confirm that it is done correctly before the dry wall goes up this week.