PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day or Just Bad game ?? seeking some wisdom

10-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Trying to move up the table limits and play while learning and understanding the game. started off at .50 - $1 tables did 10,219 hands with a 2.17 BB/100. So moved up to 1-2 tables and after 4877 hands had a 1.81 BB/100.

Have read about finding the loose games and attack those. well yesterday on Pokerstars found a 1-2 game that was avg pot $34 and had a 68% players seeing flop. So here i go.

Well needless to say I quickly lost the most of my 1-2 profits in this game. River cards cost me dearly. Was in lead till then. Played 9 hands and lost dealy, 7 on river, 1 on turn and one i lost set over set on flop that I guess i should of recognized.

I left the game demorlized and upset. In my heart I truly think I played the hands correctly except for one and just had a bad day. My question is should I have stayed at this table of loose players and tried to regain the losses? I was not tired, but more along the lines of upset. That is why i initially left the game, I thought i was not mentally in the game anymore and thus most likely not play my best. but later on I began to rethink that the table was one that should have been beaten easily, and thus maybe walked away from a great game.

For those who have played in those type games and taken a beating, is it better to play or leave ?

Thank you for any wisdom and guidance

Colonel

Warren Whitmore
10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
You need a bit more data. What you need to do is correlate your win rate in BB per hour vs % people seeing the flop. In a seperate analysis you need to record your anxiety level. Correlate this with BB per hour vs anxiety level (I suggest a rating of 1 to 10 for this variable). Using regression analysis correlate ev for the game. If the win rate is acceptable play if not don't.

Bez
10-15-2005, 08:18 PM
If you're upset then leave. Tilt kills bankrolls.

gildwulf
10-15-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trying to move up the table limits and play while learning and understanding the game. started off at .50 - $1 tables did 10,219 hands with a 2.17 BB/100. So moved up to 1-2 tables and after 4877 hands had a 1.81 BB/100.

Have read about finding the loose games and attack those. well yesterday on Pokerstars found a 1-2 game that was avg pot $34 and had a 68% players seeing flop. So here i go.

Well needless to say I quickly lost the most of my 1-2 profits in this game. River cards cost me dearly. Was in lead till then. Played 9 hands and lost dealy, 7 on river, 1 on turn and one i lost set over set on flop that I guess i should of recognized.

I left the game demorlized and upset. In my heart I truly think I played the hands correctly except for one and just had a bad day. My question is should I have stayed at this table of loose players and tried to regain the losses? I was not tired, but more along the lines of upset. That is why i initially left the game, I thought i was not mentally in the game anymore and thus most likely not play my best. but later on I began to rethink that the table was one that should have been beaten easily, and thus maybe walked away from a great game.

For those who have played in those type games and taken a beating, is it better to play or leave ?

Thank you for any wisdom and guidance

Colonel

[/ QUOTE ]

Focus on making the correct decisions (post and review hands) and playing within your bankroll. That's basically all the advice you need.

Pog0
10-16-2005, 06:19 AM
If your vision becomes emotionally clouded during a great game because you're losing, you're in trouble. I don't want to recommend leaving the game, but rather GETTING OVER IT because these vastly profitable situations do not come up all the time and you need to be in a proper state of mind to exploit it.

If you let your emotions get the best of you, leave with what money you have left, when you come back to the game, you'll have a tougher field to go through.

Tilting is a leak and it is typically fixed through experience and practice. I used to have to cut my sessions short between 1 and 2 hours because if I were up or down significantly, I would get emotionally involved (excited if I'm winning, start playing too many hands, depressed if I'm losing, not able to carry on). A few months and 70k hands later, this no longer happens to me. I think of the game objectively, make sure it's profitable, and if I'm losing, so be it, I'll come on top in the end. Started my session today down about 30BB in a few minutes, smirked it off because I was losing to extremely unprofitable plays. Stuck it out, didn't leave the tables, and ended far ahead because I let the donkeys experience their inevitable losses.

I'm less inclined to look at my results during a session as well. Several times I've finished, checked my balance and was surprised at how much I was up. Knowing this while playing can't help you in any way, it just encourages you to drop your objective view of the situation.

Sakuraba
10-16-2005, 10:26 PM
At those limits, there are great games going all the time. If you are getting killed and it might be impacting your play, just take a break. Don't worry about missing out on the game. There are plenty of other great games.

10-18-2005, 11:02 PM
To me, 68% of people seeing flops in a live game is a blessing. On-line is just too dangerous. It seems like the most aggressive take down pots. Example calling a raise with a 2-3 off tends to flop you 2 pair trips or a straight. The tighter the game online, the better your odds of making a profit.

Tilt
10-19-2005, 10:20 AM
In limit, the "better" the game, the higher the variance. Very loose games make for both big paydays and big hits to your bankroll. If you can't accept that without it affecting your play, then you are setting yourself up for failure in those games.

Some players are more effective in tighter games. They play better in heads up situations. You should evaluate whether that fits you.

felix83
10-19-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is should I have stayed at this table of loose players and tried to regain the losses? I was not tired, but more along the lines of upset. That is why i initially left the game, I thought i was not mentally in the game anymore and thus most likely not play my best.

[/ QUOTE ]
You answered your own question. The only way staying could be justified is if you knew that even when playing on tilt you still had +EV for this game, which you couldn't really know until you played many, many more hands than these. Once your level of tilt reaches that point where your EV drops to close to zero, then walk and take out your emotions elsewhere.