PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Revisited

Terry
05-30-2003, 05:12 PM
OK, so Party is messing around with hand histories, the games on True have been kind of flat, the super tight super aggressives on Stars make it unattractive, and I’m not interested in being a guinea pig with the new sites. Bingo! Paradise offers a bonus; they want to give me $100 for free. Well, I used to play on Paradise. I played there for a year and did quite well but that’s been a couple of years ago so let’s start out with $2/$4 and build up.

A few days of win a little, lose a little, but something feels different. I’m eating Rolaids and rubbing my neck a lot... something stressful here... the games are... strange... too many total maniacs... playing over 40% of their hands and raising 15 to 20 per cent... and there are two, three, even four of them in every game.

And then it happens. Nice couple of rushes. $500 deposit up to $1125 after 3,500 hands. Alright.

And then... and then... can’t win a hand... down $50 to $150 every day. Can’t play many hands because of the preflop raising going on, and getting big pairs and big suited connectors brutalized by the preflop raiser’s 93s when the turn and river are 3 and 9, or a runner runner flush, of course.

Can’t make a correct decision... check it down and win a tiny pot... bet it and get raised, reraised, check raised... the constant bluffer has the nuts when I take him on, but let me lay down top pair to a river raise and I find out the guy who called the raise cold won the pot with an underpair to the board... always wrong. Arg... gut wrenching.

The maniacs that I have played a few hundred hands against are all losing, just like they’re supposed to, but I just can’t connect for any of the good sized pots. I’ve only connected pocket pairs for a set on the flop 4% of the time instead of the expected 11.5%.

The beats come faster and faster. My sessions get shorter and shorter, until I log on, sit down, and whack, whack, two hands. Flop top two with AQ in big blind, beat by J5s (yes, he cold called a preflop raise) when he makes runner runner flush... finally connect my pocket TT in small blind for top set... beat by runner runner gutshot (yes, he cold called a preflop raise with 87o)... stuck $60 in two hands and, no, no, no more.

My hands will stop shaking. But I’m telling you, these games are different. I remember now. The bad beats come fast and furious. I don’t “yank the plug” anywhere near as often on other sites. I think it has to do with the number of maniacs. The games probably are still as profitable as they always were, but the swings are huge. I remember now... grind, grind, grind, grind, rush... grind, grind, grind, grind, rush. I just don’t like those 200 big bet downturns. Pass the Rolaids.

After 6,500 hands, in a little over 100 hours, I cash out $360, down from a high of $1,125. I’m done now. Thanks for listening.

rigoletto
05-30-2003, 06:10 PM
I realize that you are posting to vent your frustration, but have you considered looking at your own game?

Terry
05-30-2003, 09:30 PM
>> “have you considered looking at your own game?”

Oh yeah. Most every day. Believe me, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I could have done anything differently.

Notice that although I was suffering a pretty bad case of farfalonis of the blowhole when I made that post, there was no ranting about colluders, crooked deals, or anything like that. Just frustration over what maniacal players can do to variance. When the pots get big sometimes you just have to stay in them (with proper odds, of course), but when your draws miss and / or their miracle cards come in, well, that can happen a lot, and for quite a long time. Maniacs don’t necessarily mean a good game and I think Paradise has an unusually large supply of maniacs.

Long term, I do just fine at poker, thank you -- both live and online, including a couple thousand hours at Paradise back when they were pretty much the only place to play. My version of tilt is to leave the game before the blind comes around, and it hurts me to give up those hands I’ve paid for. S&M’s comment on my play during the True Poker tutorial session a couple months ago: “A winning 10/20 player, for sure”, and that I am. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

As you realized, I just needed to spout off a bit. If there’s any moral to the story, it’s probably: Sometimes the best choice may be to find a better game.

Anyway, you’re very kind to take the time to respond to a blatant bad beat story.