PDA

View Full Version : Got stiffed on a tip tonight

Pages : [1] 2

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:08 AM
For all you people out there that "don't believe" in tipping servers, I wish you were all dead. No, seriously.

I was at work tonight, and was basically getting my ass handed to me by constant "big tops" of 8+ people. Normally I can handle these, but I had 2 of these types of tables going constantly for about 4 hours, plus the rest of my section was full. To top it all off, all of my tables were demanding as all [censored]. Typical friday night I guess.

So, as the dinner rush was winding down around 8pm, I get a group of 7 cowboys. No really, they were cowboys. This is northern AZ, afterall.

So, they rack up a pretty decent tab. They all got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102. I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job. Well, I did do a good job, and I didn't make $10. In fact, I got to the table, opened up the check presenter, and found nothing. I looked around the table (people oftentimes leave cash on the table), but found nothing there.

Literally, they left me $0 on a $102 ticket. It's not like I didn't give them good service. The service was fine. I consistently make 18-20% myself, so I know that I'm not a terrible server.

Well, this pissed me off to the point that I wanted to rush out to the parking lot and beat their asses. Really, it cost me $2 to work that table (I have to tip 2% of my sales to the hosts every night). What a bunch of fucktards. And as always, I have no recourse.

Oh, and it pissed me off so much that I found it necessary to post on OOT about it.

TheMainEvent
10-15-2005, 04:11 AM
Shitty tipper Database (http://www.bitterwaitress.com/std/)

JihadOnTheRiver
10-15-2005, 04:11 AM
I had a pretty good dinner date set up with my father and The Governator. I got a call earlier from the opso of my squadron telling me my leave papers got pulled, and I have 48 hours of duty that require me to be in San Diego. He did not send me 15%. STFU. I'm sick and tired of tipping posts. I'll tip you when I want. You shut up and let the world revolve until then.

private joker
10-15-2005, 04:13 AM
I've never waited tables, or worked in any tipping industry, but I really hate guys like this. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat, you goddam jackals.

What often contributes to this is large parties. You ever been with like 10 people, and everyone chips in for what they think they owe, and you collect everyone's cash and count the money, and you have like $98 total for a $110 tab? Not only is there not enough to tip, but there isn't even enough to cover the check. So everyone has to cough up even more dough, and you always have those two cumstains who don't throw in enough and someone gets stuck paying double what they owe just so the server doesn't get jacked.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll tip you when I want. You shut up and let the world revolve until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you make $2.13/hr where you work? Thought not. Don't be a cheapass.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not our responsibility to pay your bills, nor our fault you make a [censored]*y wage. You knew the score when you became a waiter - tipping is discretionary.

Besides, what cheap-azz place do you work where 7 men can all get steaks for $100??? And why doesn't your place of business automatically place a tip surcharge on all parties over 7, like most restaurants do?

Seriously, Sparky....I understand your pissed-off and you work hard - but if it bothers you that much, get a better job.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there's no "should" have gotten X amount even if you didn't do your job well. It's a gratuity -- not required. It must be earned. Service comes with the meal, and it's free. Good service is optional, but so is a good tip. It's a relationship thingy.

I'm a really laid back, informal, mild-mannered guy, but still find poor service very common. I tip well accordingly when it's not. But I have zero guilt about leaving little or even no tip if a server has shown me that they really couldn't care less about my comfort or concerns.

A restaurant usually only has one or two shots at me as a customer, and I have great loyalty to places I like, coming back for years on end and tipping well every time. I wouldn't be surprised if many restaurants and bars lose enormous potential profits and if some even go out of business just from the cumulative effects of having poor quality wait staff.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never waited tables, or worked in any tipping industry, but I really hate guys like this. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat, you goddam jackals.

What often contributes to this is large parties. You ever been with like 10 people, and everyone chips in for what they think they owe, and you collect everyone's cash and count the money, and you have like $98 total for a $110 tab? Not only is there not enough to tip, but there isn't even enough to cover the check. So everyone has to cough up even more dough, and you always have those two cumstains who don't throw in enough and someone gets stuck paying double what they owe just so the server doesn't get jacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

This always happens and I hate the bejesus out of it. There are some people who are known for doing it every time, and we all are aware in advance that they'll be paying only half their tab. Even when everyone knows, they aren't ashamed to do it again.

TheMainEvent
10-15-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, there's no "should" have gotten X amount even if you didn't do your job well. It's a gratuity -- not required. It must be earned. Service comes with the meal, and it's free. Good service is optional, but so is a good tip. It's a relationship thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this argument is BS because if everyone decided that they just weren't going to tip they would have to pay a lot more for the food. So by not tipping you are just freeloading off of the good tippers.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not our responsibility to pay your bills, nor our fault you make a [censored]*y wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's exactly your fault, whether or not you choose to believe it. The federal government classifies me as a tipped employee, and thus can pay me $2.13/hr, considering tipping servers is customary.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, what cheap-azz place do you work where 7 men can all get steaks for $100???

[/ QUOTE ]

Applebee's. Not exactly a steakhouse.

[ QUOTE ]
And why doesn't your place of business automatically place a tip surcharge on all parties over 7, like most restaurants do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only parties 8+.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, Sparky....I understand your pissed-off and you work hard - but if it bothers you that much, get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I make good enough money where I work. How? 99% of people that come in realize that they need to tip the waitstaff. You're apparently the 1% that hasn't been taught proper restaurant etiquette.

Oh, and do you know what happens when someone comes in and doesn't tip, even though the service was good? Our general manager comes out and bans them from the restaurant.

Don't be a tool. Tip your servers.

DougShrapnel
10-15-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For all you people out there that "don't believe" in tipping servers, I wish you were all dead. No, seriously.

I was at work tonight, and was basically getting my ass handed to me by constant "big tops" of 8+ people. Normally I can handle these, but I had 2 of these types of tables going constantly for about 4 hours, plus the rest of my section was full. To top it all off, all of my tables were demanding as all [censored]. Typical friday night I guess.

So, as the dinner rush was winding down around 8pm, I get a group of 7 cowboys. No really, they were cowboys. This is northern AZ, afterall.

So, they rack up a pretty decent tab. They all got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102. I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job. Well, I did do a good job, and I didn't make $10. In fact, I got to the table, opened up the check presenter, and found nothing. I looked around the table (people oftentimes leave cash on the table), but found nothing there.

Literally, they left me $0 on a $102 ticket. It's not like I didn't give them good service. The service was fine. I consistently make 18-20% myself, so I know that I'm not a terrible server.

Well, this pissed me off to the point that I wanted to rush out to the parking lot and beat their asses. Really, it cost me $2 to work that table (I have to tip 2% of my sales to the hosts every night). What a bunch of fucktards. And as always, I have no recourse.

Oh, and it pissed me off so much that I found it necessary to post on OOT about it.

[/ QUOTE ]Get your place of employment to include a mandatory 15% gratuity on parties of 6 or more.

10-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Why are you still working for tips? A bit of advice: Quit your crappy job, play poker online full time and make MAD loot.

SCfuji
10-15-2005, 04:41 AM
this is terrible. is there anything you can do? have you seen these guys before?

Blarg
10-15-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this argument is BS because if everyone decided that they just weren't going to tip they would have to pay a lot more for the food. So by not tipping you are just freeloading off of the good tippers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mistake it for an argument, which is the problem in the first place. It is not an argument. It is a fact.

It's simply not up to the waitperson what he gets tipped. That decision gets made either by management or the customer, or both. On a side note, I'd suggest not working at a place that pays $2.13 an hour, if you're sensitive about it. It's the very essence of the job that it's a gamble, and you shouldn't play at stakes that don't appeal to you.

The best thing for a waitperson to do is drop the attitude and give good service. It's not a job with a guarantee, at least not at every establishment, but the best way to tilt the odds in your favor is to concentrate on your part of the deal, providing the good service, not walking around with a chip on your shoulder or thoughts of what you're "owed."

Doing a poor job in other professions gets you fired. Doing a poor job as a waitperson just gets you stiffed. Consider yourself lucky.

Jules22
10-15-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not our responsibility to pay your bills, nor our fault you make a [censored]*y wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's exactly your fault, whether or not you choose to believe it. The federal government classifies me as a tipped employee, and thus can pay me $2.13/hr, considering tipping servers is customary.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, what cheap-azz place do you work where 7 men can all get steaks for $100???

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And why doesn't your place of business automatically place a tip surcharge on all parties over 7, like most restaurants do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only parties 8+.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I make good enough money where I work. How? 99% of people that come in realize that they need to tip the waitstaff. You're apparently the 1% that hasn't been taught proper restaurant etiquette.

Oh, and do you know what happens when someone comes in and doesn't tip, even though the service was good? Our general manager comes out and bans them from the restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to be a server, this guy doesnt speak for most tipped employees. i definitely cannot envision a manager coming out and banning someone for not tipping, that sounds like a total garbage made up lie.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i used to be a server, this guy doesnt speak for most tipped employees. i definitely cannot envision a manager coming out and banning someone for not tipping, that sounds like a total garbage made up lie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this wasn't policy where you worked, but hey, there are more restaurants out there than where you worked. Most of them have differing policies. Yes, our managers WILL ban people from the restaurant if they come in and repeatedly (I should have clarified) do not tip the waitstaff.

And what's this about me "not speaking for most tipped employees"? I'd like to hear from other servers and get their take on things. I'd be willing to bet that most here would side with what I've said.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 04:50 AM
I'd welcome the chance to speak with a manager about why his waitperson was not worth tipping.

whiskeytown
10-15-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, our managers WILL ban people from the restaurant if they come in and repeatedly (I should have clarified) do not tip the waitstaff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta ask my applebee's bartender/manager friend if this is true -

I was always at least 15% - and it came back to me in the form or longer pours and the occasional freebie.

and SINCE we're on the topic - since apparently it is discretionary to tip, I would certainly say it's discretionary for the place to serve them - [censored] em. -

until State Legislatures stop the mandatory taxing of tips whether received or not, I'd say every server is totally within their right to refuse service to a cheapskate. -

like Jihadontheriver.

RB

Boris
10-15-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They all [7 cowboys] got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy smokes that's a cheap restaurant. sucks you got stiffed. effin cowboys man.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Dude, I waited for 13 years on and off (starting when I was 14). This sucks.

The only advice I can give is for you to take a mental picture and hope and pray you get the chance to wait on them again. It's got nothing to do with you.

Notorious G.O.B.
10-15-2005, 05:11 AM
It's just not worth it to get super pissed about something like this. Let it slide and be happy.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 05:12 AM
That, unfortunately, we don't know. Das Leben sounds like a reasonable enough guy, but the idea that you should get tipped even if you don't do a good job isn't the kind of idea that comes out of someone who's motivated to do his best. I expect everybody I give money to to do a good job. That's what paying money is for.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 05:18 AM
You are entirely right. It is natural for a server to take a stiff personally whether it was his fault or not (not that it was Das Leben's fault). I know what it feels like to be tipped inappropriately, and I think I assumed that Das was as well.

You are right, though, and at the end of the day I think it probably evens out.

Shillx
10-15-2005, 05:23 AM
My two best friends both serve and we talk about this kind of thing all the time. The problem isn't so much that they stiffed you rather that you can't really do anything to figure out why. Some people will stiff b/c they don't know that tipping is ettiquite. Some people will stiff due to crappy service. The thing they get pissed at is when the manager bitches them out for asking why they got stiffed (via a comment card). I would like to know from the patrons if I'm doing a shitty job or if they didn't tip for some other reason. Anyways there are times that you get double gratted to make up for these types of things, so it all works out in the end.

Brad

private joker
10-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Hmm, Brad brings up a good point -- it's very very rare that I don't tip, but when I do stiff, I should leave a card in the leather bill-holder with prepared type that says "I'm not tipping you because you sucked as a waiter." Then maybe I can leave some space blank on the card to add in any specifics like "it took forever to get a water refill; I was thirsty the whole meal."

That card would really help waiters understand why they were stiffed.

But I doubt I'd use it much. I don't expect to have my dick sucked when I eat out -- I just want to have things brought to me swiftly and then be left alone. Do the basics and you get at least 15%.

goofball
10-15-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I make good enough money where I work

[/ QUOTE ]

The shut the [censored] up and stop complaining. Jesus christ people we live in a free market economy. Most of you live in at will employment states (employment can be terminated by either party, at any time, for any reason). If feel you can do better somewhere else do it. If not stop complaining. If I were [censored] I would ban you.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, Brad brings up a good point -- it's very very rare that I don't tip, but when I do stiff, I should leave a card in the leather bill-holder with prepared type that says "I'm not tipping you because you sucked as a waiter." Then maybe I can leave some space blank on the card to add in any specifics like "it took forever to get a water refill; I was thirsty the whole meal."

That card would really help waiters understand why they were stiffed.

But I doubt I'd use it much. I don't expect to have my dick sucked when I eat out -- I just want to have things brought to me swiftly and then be left alone. Do the basics and you get at least 15%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point but I disagree entirely. My feeling is that you can either criticize a waiter or stiff him, but not both. To leave a card explaining why the waiter sucked at his job(or even worse to explain why somebody else ruined his tip) while leaving him no money is to do nothing more than to rub salt in the wound.

If he gets stiffed he will know why 95% of the time.

siccjay
10-15-2005, 05:47 AM
This is why I couldn't wait on people. I would have followed them outside and probably got my ass kicked.

2+2 wannabe
10-15-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This site is great - people bitching about 12% tips. Girls complaing that flirting is only getting them 10%. [censored] I hate some servers.

I was a damn good server, and it pissed me off when people left zero (I admit it). When someone left 5% or 10% it didn't piss me off at all - it's the customer's choice. 0% is unacceptable.

[censored]
10-15-2005, 05:59 AM
I can understand being disappointed about not getting a tip on a check like but it seems like stuff like this comes with the territory of waiting tables at a place like Applebees. If you are a good waiter like you say then you should be able to find employment at a much better establishment where the customers are more likely to tip.

Also just a note- them note tipping you doesnt prove that they don't tip. It only proves they didn't tip you. For all we know you could have had a poor attitude or provided a low level of service. If your desires were to really follow them into the parking lot, I would suggest that this is at the very least possible.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only parties 8+.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I never said I don't tip. But a good tip is earned, not a right.

2. Again, it ain't my fault you make $2.13 an hour. How is it my problem? As Mr.Pink once said, "You don't feel it necessary to tip the servers at McDonalds, do you?" Why not?

3. A tool is someone who takes a service job, expecting to be tipped by everyone, and whines when he realizes that some people do not tip. Them's the breaks, Sparky.

2+2 wannabe
10-15-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I make good enough money where I work

[/ QUOTE ]

The shut the [censored] up and stop complaining. Jesus christ people we live in a free market economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does a free market economy have to do with anything being talked about? This isn't international trade we're talking about - it's tipping. People use capitalism as an excuse for everything, when it's actually the cause for this problem.

Getting left 0 is brutal - you have to be a super douchebag to tip nothing, or the service has to be utterly non-existent. I'd bet it's the former in this case, as it usually is.

I can't believe how cheap some people are - seriously

Matt Williams
10-15-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd welcome the chance to speak with a manager about why his waitperson was not worth tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a manager at a restaurant. The waitresses made $2.50/hr and depended on tips. As a manager, I would know who my good and bad waitresses were. Most of the time, they were tipped. The only group of people who regularly did not tip were Indian people.(big surprise, huh?) If I knew my server was doing a good job and did not get a tip, I would do a paid out of the register. I would do about 10% of the bill. It made my servers happy.
I've noticed that when people don't leave a tip, it's usually because of bad service like not getting drinks on time, food being cold and late, not having napkins on the table. That's a big one, not having napkins. People go apeshit if they don't have enough napkins. Another reason is not having toys or crayons for kids to play with. Also, a lot of times with big parties, people assume someone else got the tip when in reality no one did.
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck. Most paychecks are $0.00. You have to work about 50 hours a week to get a check over $5.00. If the service is so bad you don't think a tip is worthy, you should be complaining to the manager anyway. It pisses me off when people who have never worked in the food service industry criticize those who do. Ask anyone who has spent a day serving food and they will tell you how hard it is.

goofball
10-15-2005, 06:12 AM
i base my tipping policy on courtesy and efficiency. I tip all the time. I've probably competely not tipped a server 2-3 times ever, and I certainly reserve the right to do that if, like in those cases, they really suck. Just because I think a server is being a retard by getting all bent out of shape fro lack of tip doesn't mean I don't tip myself.

The free market is totally relevant. He agreed to do a job based on an agreed upon wage and other conditions. If he feels this isn't enough his recourse is to leave. That's a free market economy.

Nick B.
10-15-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no [censored]! So that means if i don't leave a tip, that I help the waiter save on taxes!

Roybert
10-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Have you ever waited before?

TheTROLL
10-15-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I make good enough money where I work.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet here you are whining about someone not tipping. The idea that you're entitled to a gratuity is hilarious; while I do understand that it's customary there, YOU need to understand that "customary" is very different from "mandatory". Someone who studies [card game] shouldn't need variance explained to them.

As suggested elsewhere, get a proper job or just swallow it. Stop whining, you're only upsetting yourself.

Matt Williams
10-15-2005, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no [censored]! So that means if i don't leave a tip, that I help the waiter save on taxes!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he pays taxes. When you ring in a meal, it gets tallied. So lets say that at the end of the work week, you have $1000 in meals. You have to declare at least 8% or the IRS comes looking for you. So that means you need to declare at least $80 in tips. Whether or not you get tipped, you need to declare $80. So when you are a cheap bastard and don't tip, you cost your server money.
BTW-If you continually only declare 8%, the IRS WILL come looking for you. Most do 10%.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Please define a 'proper' job. You know, I mean by your standards.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I've done it all. My family has owned restaurants, and I've worked in theirs and others, as wait staff, cashier, dishwasher, food prep, etc. And worked in lots of other customer service jobs too.

I always approach the customer positively and do my best no matter how trying it is. I never blame customers for my moods, and I never keep them in the dark as to why anything might be going wrong or when they should expect their meal, etc. I try to make them feel at home, but a little better. I never feel the customer is there for me; I feel I represent the restaurant on the one hand and my own good standards on the other. If I do my job well, both will be well represented. If I'm unwilling to do the job well, I definitely should be fired or quit ASAP. The customer has nothing to do with any of that.

You meet all kinds. And unless you're a lousy employee, you give good service to all kinds. Unless they're lousy customers, they give you a good tip back. Sometimes you won't get tipped. That's life. You do your job and hope for the best -- and try to earn it.

What I usually see in discussions like this is the amazing sense of entitlement so many waitpersons have. You don't have to know many people to get endless earfuls of stories about bad service, if you ask. Bad service is not uncommon. Mediocre service is usually the best you can hope for unless you go to a more expensive place, and even then, you're still just hoping, and can expect to be waited on better if your clothes are more expensive and less if they're not.

I've been on both sides of the fence plenty, and am actually a very good tipper whenever possible. But it's not uncommon that wait staff make giving a good tip simply impossible, and even ruin the meal. Wait staff can be as much of an advertisement for the place as the food itself, and I'm sure, as I noted in another post, that many restaurants lose as many customers over the service as they do over the food. One or two bad experiences and I'm outta there, and my huge loyalty to places I like and normally great tipping is just something that never got a chance to happen.

Frankly, I feel more sorry for the owners in some respects than for the wait staff when a dining experience has gone wrong. And of course for the customers, who paid restaurant prices for an unpleasant meal.

goofball
10-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Nope.

[censored]
10-15-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he pays taxes. When you ring in a meal, it gets tallied. So lets say that at the end of the work week, you have $1000 in meals. You have to declare at least 8% or the IRS comes looking for you. So that means you need to declare at least $80 in tips. Whether or not you get tipped, you need to declare $80. So when you are a cheap bastard and don't tip, you cost your server money.
BTW-If you continually only declare 8%, the IRS WILL come looking for you. Most do 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is right. the 8% only applies as substitute for keeping records. That is in the absence of records they would declare 8&. However if the person kept records of their tips and it totaled below 8% they would be able to declare the actual amount of income they recieved. There is no tax law that could require you to pay tax on income you did not earn. I'm not 100% certain as I worked in audit and not tax but I am fairly sure.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 06:39 AM
This is not at all the right answer.

TheTROLL
10-15-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please define a 'proper' job. You know, I mean by your standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

By MY standards? I don't get out of bed for <$100/hr.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Oh [censored]! you're the one!

Matt Williams
10-15-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've done it all. My family has owned restaurants, and I've worked in theirs and others, as wait staff, cashier, dishwasher, food prep, etc. And worked in lots of other customer service jobs too.

I always approach the customer positively and do my best no matter how trying it is. I never blame customers for my moods, and I never keep them in the dark as to why anything might be going wrong or when they should expect their meal, etc. I try to make them feel at home, but a little better. I never feel the customer is there for me; I feel I represent the restaurant on the one hand and my own good standards on the other. If I do my job well, both will be well represented. If I'm unwilling to do the job well, I definitely should be fired or quit ASAP. The customer has nothing to do with any of that.

You meet all kinds. And unless you're a lousy employee, you give good service to all kinds. Unless they're lousy customers, they give you a good tip back. Sometimes you won't get tipped. That's life. You do your job and hope for the best -- and try to earn it.

What I usually see in discussions like this is the amazing sense of entitlement so many waitpersons have. You don't have to know many people to get endless earfuls of stories about bad service, if you ask. Bad service is not uncommon. Mediocre service is usually the best you can hope for unless you go to a more expensive place, and even then, you're still just hoping, and can expect to be waited on better if your clothes are more expensive and less if they're not.

I've been on both sides of the fence plenty, and am actually a very good tipper whenever possible. But it's not uncommon that wait staff make giving a good tip simply impossible, and even ruin the meal. Wait staff can be as much of an advertisement for the place as the food itself, and I'm sure, as I noted in another post, that many restaurants lose as many customers over the service as they do over the food. One or two bad experiences and I'm outta there, and my huge loyalty to places I like and normally great tipping is just something that never got a chance to happened.

Frankly, I feel more sorry for the owners in some respects than for the wait staff when a dining experience has gone wrong. And of course for the customers, who paid restaurant prices for an unpleasant meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand, if the service is bad enough where you are thinking about not leaving a tip; why wouldn't you complain to the manager? I've had bad service and I didn't leave a tip but I spoke to the manager and explained why I wasn't tipping. He understood. But it's wrong to just be like "Screw him, I'm not tipping." If the service is bad, speak up.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not at all the right answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only have I not made a wrong answer, I haven't provided any useless one-liners. You're either in the discussion or you're out; make up your mind.

Matt Williams
10-15-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is right. the 8% only applies as substitute for keeping records. That is in the absence of records they would declare 8&. However if the person kept records of their tips and it totaled below 8% they would be able to declare the actual amount of income they recieved. There is no tax law that could require you to pay tax on income you did earn. I'm not 100% certain as I worked in audit and not tax but I am fairly sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are probably right, but I have never met a server who kept a record of all the tips recieved. They just declare 10 to 12% of the money.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a manager at a restaurant. The waitresses made $2.50/hr and depended on tips. As a manager, I would know who my good and bad waitresses were. Most of the time, they were tipped. The only group of people who regularly did not tip were Indian people.(big surprise, huh?) If I knew my server was doing a good job and did not get a tip, I would do a paid out of the register. I would do about 10% of the bill. It made my servers happy.
I've noticed that when people don't leave a tip, it's usually because of bad service like not getting drinks on time, food being cold and late, not having napkins on the table. That's a big one, not having napkins. People go apeshit if they don't have enough napkins. Another reason is not having toys or crayons for kids to play with. Also, a lot of times with big parties, people assume someone else got the tip when in reality no one did.
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck. Most paychecks are $0.00. You have to work about 50 hours a week to get a check over $5.00. If the service is so bad you don't think a tip is worthy, you should be complaining to the manager anyway. It pisses me off when people who have never worked in the food service industry criticize those who do. Ask anyone who has spent a day serving food and they will tell you how hard it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one said it's not hard. But once again, how servers get paid or not paid is not my friggen problem. You want your servers to make more money? Pay them more. Charge a little more for the food, I don't care.

But I will not tip if I feel the service was subpar. And yes, I'll complain to the manager.

Once again, tipping is discretionary. Period.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a YP, not an MP.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is right. the 8% only applies as substitute for keeping records. That is in the absence of records they would declare 8&. However if the person kept records of their tips and it totaled below 8% they would be able to declare the actual amount of income they recieved. There is no tax law that could require you to pay tax on income you did earn. I'm not 100% certain as I worked in audit and not tax but I am fairly sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are probably right, but I have never met a server who kept a record of all the tips recieved. They just declare 10 to 12% of the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, that's rather stupid, isn't it?

Blarg
10-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Who said I wouldn't? I'm not sure why you would assume that. I have done so in the past and I would do it again. In a line you yourself quoted, I noted that I would be happy to speak to the manager.

However, you can't force the wait staff to produce a manager, and you don't owe the restaurant the undertaking of the unpleasant task, after an unpleasant meal, of extending the matter further.

Few people think of a confrontation as a desirable thing, especially when out for a meal with the family, a date, etc. I view it as a courtesy to the manager when I do make a complaint, because no business owner needs to have his own people undermining him. And I may actually like the food and the atmosphere quite a lot, except for the waitperson.

However, it is no more an obligation of the customer to help the manager run his business than it is for him to help keep the wait staff happy when they give bad service. Again, it would be a courtesy. And I have sometimes extended it. But most of the time, like most other people, if I don't like a place I simply don't come back. The invisible effect of bad service, to the owner. The waitperson probably loses the least out of the whole transaction.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 06:58 AM
How many posts does it take to be apart of this conversation?

Blarg
10-15-2005, 07:00 AM
If you've decided to just get into gain-saying and one liners, please pick someone else. That kind of competition can have no winners and no interest to anyone.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 07:03 AM
do you feel the need to give back the tips that are overly generous or when you feel you did not give service good enough to warrant the tip given?

Didn't think so. Can't have it both ways.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 07:10 AM
This isn't at all what I'm saying and if you would take the time to read my other posts, you'd see that. I disagree with (what I see to be) your main contention that the reason Das Leben got stiffed was due to his poor service when all I've seen in this whole thread is a hell of a lot of people bend over backwards to justify the times when they haven't tipped.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Why you didn't say something intelligible like that instead of saying something useless like "You're wrong" is beyond me.

That said, "all I've seen"? You've still drifted away from speaking frankly and usefully. There's not a person who has read this thread, yourself included, that does not know that that's not all you've seen. What you are is off on a tear. Leave me out. Come back to the subject when you want to discuss it and not just be pissed and use hyperbole.

Roybert
10-15-2005, 07:25 AM
I honestly don't know what your motivations are or why you decided to mess with me, but I assure you I am totally calm. As much as I would love to discuss this matter further I am starting to think that the two of us ignoring each other is definitely the right decision. I wish you the best, and I wish you a pleasant evening.

Brian.

p.s. At the risk of sounding like an ass kisser, I really do respect your posts in the Politics forum. I truly wish you nothing but the best.

uw_madtown
10-15-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm amazed that no one else has proposed that, perhaps, they just FORGOT to leave a tip before leaving?

I'm a pretty decent tipper - 20-25% for good to great service, 15% for slightly disappointing service. The wait staff would have to be pretty atrocious for me to not tip (in fact, I can't remember doing it). But I know I've forgotten a few times and kicked myself when I realized it later.

It's certainly possible they were just cheap, or had some problem with Leben's service. But I'd imagine a lot of the time, customers aren't stiffing you -- they just forgot.

BoxTree
10-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Many of my friends are waiters/waitresses (or have been at some point). Every single one of them refused to work at any restaurant that did not automatically include gratuity on the tab for parties of 6 or more (okay, sometimes 8 or more).

If you can, try to find a restaurant that has a similar policy.

You simply cannot afford to work your ass off for a party of ten people and not get paid for it. There are plenty of restaurants out there. Find one that isn't a lottery for large parties.

MelK
10-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I had something like this happen to me last night. I had AA and I worked an worked the pot. Yet some goober sucked out on me at the river. I did all the work, but I didn't get paid! Life sucks. I sympathize with you entirely.

I have conveniently forgotten all the times I sucked out on someone else. They deserved it, for thinking their AA could beat my 54o. I notice you too have conveniently forgotten all the times you were overtipped. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MarkL444
10-15-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I consistently make 18-20%

[/ QUOTE ]

then this is just variance. in the long run youll make 18-20%. sometimes more, sometimes less. but it doesnt really matter.

MelK
10-15-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I consistently make 18-20% myself

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this typical for Applebees?

If so, I think I should reduce my average tip from 17% to 13%. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

10-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Do you know what this is?
http://www.cornelschneider.ch/images/Geige03.jpg
It’s the world’s smallest violin, playing just for the waiters.

toddw8
10-15-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I consistently make 18-20%

[/ QUOTE ]

then this is just variance. in the long run youll make 18-20%. sometimes more, sometimes less. but it doesnt really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This post is the equivalent of a bad beat post. You didn't get tipped. It sucks. Get over it.

TheTROLL
10-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Class.

10-15-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] all that. I mean, I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips. That's [censored] up but that ain't my fault. I mean, it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups that the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. I mean, if you show me a piece of paper that says the government shouldn't do that I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. I've got two words for that: learn to [censored] type. 'Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big [censored] surprise.

Indiana
10-15-2005, 10:39 AM
That is absolutely wrong what they did. I always tip 20% regardless of the service. Tell you what, give me ur pokerstars id and I'll send u $10.

Indy

Los Feliz Slim
10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
DasLeben, that blows. I waited tables for two years in college and one after. While I don't think anyone left me literally NOTHING like in this situation, I would've been livid. I absolutely would've walked outside to ask someone what the F? Like, "Hey, guys, was there a problem with the service?"

Those of you who are blaming it on the waiters for having crappy jobs, or going the whole "it's disctretionary" route, are completely full of crap. I only hope you're doing the internet big-talking and don't actually do this ever, because if you do you are a douchebag of epic proportions. I don't care what your [censored] "rights" are, if the go to a restaurant and the waiter doesn't take a [censored] in your food and you don't tip ANYTHING, you are a cockhole.

Los Feliz Slim
10-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Waaaaaaaaaay too easy.

TheTROLL
10-15-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips. That's [censored] up but that ain't my fault. I mean, it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups that the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. I mean, if you show me a piece of paper that says the government shouldn't do that I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. I've got two words for that: learn to [censored] type. 'Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big [censored] surprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly right. Stupid system, don't blame the customers who choose not to go along with it. If you can't live with the way the job pays, it's not the job for you. Get over it, or move on.

Indiana
10-15-2005, 10:55 AM
I know this is OOT, and I know u guys don't mean any harm but this guy was truly wronged. As americans we take pride in tipping and it has become something that tipped employees depend on. Personally I am happy that I have the option to tip what I want. I just got back from the EU and let me tell you, those people have no class. Not only do they force tips into the price but they even charge you to use the toilet. Think about it, you pay $100 for your dinner, go to the bathroom, and there's a street thug lady in there asking u for 50 cents to wash your hands. Treat people right, and let's keep our country great, lest we become like those classes europeans:)

Indy

Pirc Defense
10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate tipping. I do it, but on some occassions, I don't. What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

woodguy
10-15-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They all got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Lobster?

Regards,
Woodguy

HopeydaFish
10-15-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They all got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Lobster?

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently it was Appleby's. It's shocking that someone wouldn't tip at such a high-class establishment. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

10-15-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Getting left 0 is brutal - you have to be a super douchebag to tip nothing, or the service has to be utterly non-existent. I'd bet it's the former in this case, as it usually is.

I can't believe how cheap some people are - seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I was taught by my parents to always tip generously. They instilled in me that it was good manners. It's something that they taught all their children.

I know people will say I'm a chump but even to this day I cannot stiff a waiter because I can envision my mom's disapproving scowl if I were to do so.

15-20% people. have a heart.

Action Scott
10-15-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Couple comments on this...first, wow, what a sense of entitlement...
1. Evidently a good tip is SOLELY based on percentage. I saw many $1000 dinner bills w/ $100 tips listed as shitty, really? It may not be 17%, but, maybe you should look at it as "WOW a $100 TIP!!!", not the %
2. Also, evidently celebrities are required to tip a much higher percentage than anyone else. Are they expecting a $100 tip on a $10 bill just because the person is a celeb?
3. Lastly, maybe these servers arent' telling the whole story (big surprise), I saw many $250 dinner bills w/ a 25cent tip. Do you think they really sat there and gave you 25cents because they are cheap?, no way, that was meant to be a statement, they probably received crappy service and it's there way of telling you so. They didn't want to not tip at all because then you might think they just forgot, you were supposed to notice the 25cents.

That is all

Phoenix1010
10-15-2005, 11:53 AM
People are assholes. Such is life. The privledged and selfish aren't going to cry for you, Sparky.

daryn
10-15-2005, 12:31 PM
why does this always turn into a stupid argument and calling people cheap? this has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING CHEAP.

if you're cheap, are you likely to tip less? well, sure. but you're also likely to not want to spend money in other ways. if you get stiffed on a tip though, it DOES NOT mean that the people are "cheap". it's about service.

i don't think i've ever stiffed someone. i usually just give around 15% all the time, more for better service. but i hate that i do that. it's gotten to the point where it's expected, and servers have gotten lazy. face the facts! the whole purpose of a tip is to show you appreciated the service. it IS NOT OR SHOULD NEVER BECOME CUSTOMARY.

that website is horrible too.. some whiner in an ice cream parlor complaining that tom hanks ONLY DROPPED A DOLLAR IN THE TIP JAR FOR HIS $10 ICE CREAM ORDER! i'd like that slap that bitch in the face! the tip jar is the most bogus thing i've ever seen. people tip WAY TOO MUCH in the united states. europe has it right baby.

man, if you are gonna start tipping morons in ice cream parlors and starbucks, where is it going to end? why not just tip everyone? you're an engineer? you designed this bridge downtown? put a jar outside and every time i drive over it i'll give you a buck. how [censored] dumb.

RacersEdge
10-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm sure you have had 30% tips on similar bills before, so stop complaining. It's called variance.

jakethebake
10-15-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the responses so I'm sure I'm just repeating, but this is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. The world doesn't owe you anything. If you do a crappy job you don't deserve anything. Also, this will happen in your line of work. If you're going to whine about it everytime it happens, I suggest you find another job. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

crookedhat99
10-15-2005, 01:06 PM
web page (http://www.bitterwaitress.com/std/index.html?page=7)

David Cosiou = David Cossio from mtt forum? (9 down from the top)

Homer
10-15-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some fucker on that site bitched about getting only 13%. What a joke.

Homer
10-15-2005, 01:12 PM

I would want to be banned from a restaurant that would ban me for not tipping.

captZEEbo1
10-15-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that website is horrible too.. some whiner in an ice cream parlor complaining that tom hanks ONLY DROPPED A DOLLAR IN THE TIP JAR FOR HIS $10 ICE CREAM ORDER! i'd like that slap that bitch in the face!

[/ QUOTE ]I thought the exact same thing. I mean cmon, ANY tip at an ice cream parlor is pretty effin generous, b/c it's not expected at all. What a dumb c*nt

cokehead
10-15-2005, 01:20 PM
I went to a nice dinner last night with my girl friend for our anniversary, we were having a nice time, enjoying ourself, until the check came. the waitstaff overcharged us for multiple items, changed a couple things we ordered, essentially attempted to rip us off by jacking the price of the meal up 15%, which course they then wanted a tip on top of.

so much tip did they get? $0.

essentially i hate waiters. greedy bastards.

Homer
10-15-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, this site is pissing me off more and more.

Someone bitched about getting a $75.00 tip on a $750 bill. Even if that's your only table and they sat there for 5 hours, you're getting a decent wage. No waiter should complain about only making $30K/year.

Voltron87
10-15-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that website is horrible too.. some whiner in an ice cream parlor complaining that tom hanks ONLY DROPPED A DOLLAR IN THE TIP JAR FOR HIS $10 ICE CREAM ORDER! i'd like that slap that bitch in the face!

[/ QUOTE ]I thought the exact same thing. I mean cmon, ANY tip at an ice cream parlor is pretty effin generous, b/c it's not expected at all. What a dumb c*nt

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah tipping at delis/ ice cream places/ etc should not be anywhere close to expected. i do tip a dollar each time on a 5-10$ order when i go to this one place, a bakery/deli where the guys know me and there is consistenly very good service. but i never tip at another other comparable places.

canis582
10-15-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't get why servers, people with no skills and no degree think they deserve to make $20+ dollars an hour. Then they bitch all the time! Ohhhh that table made me fill their water aahhhh they were mad their food was cold.

Allow me to quote a great song "get a hair cut and get a real job"

Yes I do tip. But only female waitresses. I don't want some dude serving me.

Rev. Good Will
10-15-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[censored] all that. I mean, I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips. That's [censored] up but that ain't my fault. I mean, it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups that the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. I mean, if you show me a piece of paper that says the government shouldn't do that I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. I've got two words for that: learn to [censored] type. 'Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big [censored] surprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

I'm disappointed the other replies to this don't recognize it

Guy Incognito
10-15-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate tipping. I do it, but on some occassions, I don't. What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 02:04 PM
this thread is pathetic. boo freakity hoo, what did you expect at appleby's as you served some cowboys? no sympathy here, some people do not believe in tipping, leave them be. do not expect tips every time, that's pathetic. nobody leaves me a tip at my desk when i do a good job, stop your whining.

*edit* i'm not a cheap person by the way. i leave a minimum 15% if the service was par, 20%+ if i felt like the waiter/waitress did above average, kept my drinks filled, checked in with me more than once or twice, smiled, all of that [censored].

phage
10-15-2005, 02:07 PM
What is your average net hourly wage when tips are included?

10-15-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. Again, it ain't my fault you make $2.13 an hour. How is it my problem? As Mr.Pink once said, "You don't feel it necessary to tip the servers at McDonalds, do you?" Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

the "servers" at McDonald's receive at least the minimum wage, don't come to your table and bring you more food, refill your drinks, etc.

eviljeff
10-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I like all these posts that say tipping is completely optional followed by "oh, but I'm not one of those scumbag bad tippers. I always leave 15%."

Dex
10-15-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Applebee's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. That explains it, then. Here's what happened: it took an hour and a half for them to get their food, like it always does at Applebee's, and they took it out on you by not leaving a tip.

goofball
10-15-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Don
10-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Here's my theory. These "cowboys" are probably pussies who get raped by their bosses all day at work. They show up at the restaurant and relish a situation where THEY are in charge. They then proceed to screw you over and feel good about themselves for it. I personally will almost never give less than 20% and I always treat servers with respect. Maybe it is because I am a pro gambler and don't take [censored] from anyone.... just a theory I have come up with after years of viewing these scenarios with disgust.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why servers, people with no skills and no degree think they deserve to make $20+ dollars an hour. Then they bitch all the time! Ohhhh that table made me fill their water aahhhh they were mad their food was cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read this entire thread (74 new posts since I went to sleep last night), and this was the only post that pissed me off.

Really, "people with no skills and no degree"? Well, let me fill you in then. My qualifications:

-Bachelor of Science: Aeronautical Science
-Commercial Pilot: Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane
-Flight Instructor: Airplane Single and Multiengine, Instrument Airplane

Good enough skills for ya? Oh yeah, there's a degree there too. I work with at least 2 other people with the same qualifications that I have. Another server has a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics. Yep, we're all idiots.

[censored] tool.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the responses so I'm sure I'm just repeating, but this is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. The world doesn't owe you anything. If you do a crappy job you don't deserve anything. Also, this will happen in your line of work. If you're going to whine about it everytime it happens, I suggest you find another job. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

[/ QUOTE ]

So easy to say if you've never been a server at a restaurant before. Go wait tables for your main source of income, and watch your attitude change.

I do expect at least $10 from a $102 tab with good service, no matter how much you think that I suck for thinking that the "world owes me something" in the way of tips. Again, if you haven't served before, then you will not understand where I'm coming from.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't excuse you from being courteous to the person that catered to your every whim during your dinner. When I'm at work, I'm doing you a service, so I expect to get fairly compensated for it.

jakethebake
10-15-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So easy to say if you've never been a server at a restaurant before. Go wait tables for your main source of income, and watch your attitude change.

I do expect at least $10 from a $102 tab with good service, no matter how much you think that I suck for thinking that the "world owes me something" in the way of tips. Again, if you haven't served before, then you will not understand where I'm coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I have. I waited tables and bartended for several years. The people that you wait on don't owe you anything. And automatically expecting them to throw money at you regardless of the service you provide is just pathetic. Some will tip a lot. Some won't tip at all. You can either accept that or spend all your time pissed off. The latter is just stupid.

[censored]
10-15-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you completely missing the point that infact many of us have chosen not wait tables because of issues like this? I'm not advocating stiffing a waiter but you chose a profession where your main source of income would be at the complete discretion of those you serve. No one made you do this.

Seriously you sound like someone who has become a pro poker player and now wants to bitch about variance. You're coming off ridiculous.

If this is your attitude then I think considerable weight has to be given to the possibility that you could be completely oblivious to whether of not you provided good service.

jakethebake
10-15-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't excuse you from being courteous to the person that catered to your every whim during your dinner. When I'm at work, I'm doing you a service, so I expect to get fairly compensated for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you expect compensation, you should speak with your employer. However, in your op you stated you expect compensation whether you provide good service or not. This is not the same as catering to someone's every whim. You really need to get your story straight before you start whining like this.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I have. I waited tables and bartended for several years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected then.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this is your attitude then I think considerable weight has to be given to the possibility that you could be completely oblivious to whether of not you provided good service.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how exactly you divined this. The service I gave was fine, and there's not much else that I can say.

daryn
10-15-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like all these posts that say tipping is completely optional followed by "oh, but I'm not one of those scumbag bad tippers. I always leave 15%."

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you don't leave that disclaimer people will always just accuse you of being cheap. makes no sense to me, like i've already stated, this whole issue has nothing to do with being cheap.

it's sad that people think that just because you argue for what's right (tipping being optional and a way to show you appreciate good service) you have to be somehow against tipping.

[censored]
10-15-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how exactly you divined this. The service I gave was fine, and there's not much else that I can say.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was fine according to you.

Most people tip especially when there is a large check. Therefore when no tip has been left there is a much higher chance that the service was poor.

We can't know whether your service was indeed "fine". What we know is this.

There was a large check

most people tip unless they were not happy with the service

you seem to be displaying an attitude where your customers owe you a tip, as oppossed to you needing to earn a tip.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, in your op you stated you expect compensation whether you provide good service or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just being realistic here. Since you've done this job, what was the usual tip if you didn't do such a hot job on a table for one reason or another? For me, it's somewhere around 10%. Most servers where I work would agree.

Also, when I say "a not so hot job," I don't mean disappearing into the kitchen for an hour and a half while they try to track me down to get refills. No, I mean getting refills a little late, forgetting about something like tabasco sauce, etc. The former server probably doesn't deserve to get fairly compensated, considering he's not even doing his job. If I AM doing my job, then I do expect to make some money on a table.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Well again, there's not much that I can say that'll make you believe me one way or another. You can sit there and assume that my service was poor, but nobody besides myself was there. The fact that I'm an 18-20% server should tell you that I'm not half bad at the job.

Again, there's nothing else to say here.

Sponger15SB
10-15-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that I'm an 18-20% server should tell you that I'm not half bad at the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and we're all really impressed. I'm sure you've got the most flair out of all the applebee's servers and you've been employee of the month since july.

Yeti
10-15-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this was the only post that pissed me off.

Really, "people with no skills and no degree"? Well, let me fill you in then. My qualifications:

Good enough skills for ya? Oh yeah, there's a degree there too. I work with at least 2 other people with the same qualifications that I have. Another server has a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics. Yep, we're all idiots.

[censored] tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a proper job then.

Clarkmeister
10-15-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this was the only post that pissed me off.

[censored] tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a proper job then.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does beg the question of "why the [censored] aren't you flying a plane", doesn't it?

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It does beg the question of "why the [censored] aren't you flying a plane", doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually going back to school in January to become an air traffic controller. The market for pilots right now sucks. As of right now, I'm hanging out and paying bills.

Yeti
10-15-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It does beg the question...

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful man, they'll be all over you.

miajag81
10-15-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that I'm an 18-20% server should tell you that I'm not half bad at the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and we're all really impressed. I'm sure you've got the most flair out of all the applebee's servers and you've been employee of the month since july.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh. nh.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, you sure told me. Considering I know servers making 20%+ on a daily basis, I'm not the "shining star" of my restaurant. I'm simply pointing out that I'm not half bad at what I do. Say, what's your ROI?

Manque
10-15-2005, 03:52 PM
So what should you do about crap service?

Manque
10-15-2005, 03:57 PM
So you are willing to pay more regardless of the service?

chesspain
10-15-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These servers would not have to go onto the internet to bitch to interested parties about thier tips if they knew how to share their cocaine.

Manque
10-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I also can't believe how poor service can be.

Manque
10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I do my bit. 20% of average service 25% for good service and 30% for excellent service. If the service is terrible I won't tip.

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
10-15-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what should you do about crap service?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should leave a small tip, so there is no question about whether you just forgot the tip.

mmbt0ne
10-15-2005, 04:13 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, you sure told me. Considering I know servers making 20%+ on a daily basis, I'm not the "shining star" of my restaurant. I'm simply pointing out that I'm not half bad at what I do. Say, what's your ROI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently high enough that he doesn't have to go to work at Appleby's to pay his bills.

Manque
10-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Sometimes I've had to sneak extra money onto the table when I've been with someone who has left a poor tip.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you're out of your mind! It's you're freakin' JOB to cater to my every whim. If you don't get fairly compensated by the person you work for, NOT MY PROBLEM. I will tip when and where I want - not because you say I have to.

You're not entitled to a tip just because you're a server. So get over it and either realize that sometimes you are going to get stiffed, or GET OUT OF THE SERVICE INDUSTRY.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, in your op you stated you expect compensation whether you provide good service or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just being realistic here. Since you've done this job, what was the usual tip if you didn't do such a hot job on a table for one reason or another? For me, it's somewhere around 10%. Most servers where I work would agree.

Also, when I say "a not so hot job," I don't mean disappearing into the kitchen for an hour and a half while they try to track me down to get refills. No, I mean getting refills a little late, forgetting about something like tabasco sauce, etc. The former server probably doesn't deserve to get fairly compensated, considering he's not even doing his job. If I AM doing my job, then I do expect to make some money on a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got serious problems when it comes to feeling entitled.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the "servers" at McDonald's receive at least the minimum wage, don't come to your table and bring you more food, refill your drinks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know - and again - NOT MY PROBLEM.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read this entire thread (74 new posts since I went to sleep last night), and this was the only post that pissed me off.

[censored] tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

with all those freakin' skills and education, GO GET A REAL JOB AND STOP WHINING ABOUT TIPS, YOU FREAKIN' NUMBSKULL.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not entitled to a tip just because you're a server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why does the federal government allow restaurants to pay their waitstaff $2.13/hr? Because I'm classified as a tipped employee. In this state, that's $3.02 below minimum wage for non-tipped employees.

If I didn't expect to make any tips "just because I'm a server," my restaurant would pay me much more per hour, and the government would make my $2.13/hr illegal.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently high enough that he doesn't have to go to work at Appleby's to pay his bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, but I like to make money everyday. Plus, I'm going to have to go through a full FAA security clearance in about a year. Do you think they're going to just pass me through if they see that I was a professional gambler?

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but I actually do this job. I don't just post on webboards about how I think I know what doing the job is like.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with all those freakin' skills and education, GO GET A REAL JOB AND STOP WHINING ABOUT TIPS, YOU FREAKIN' NUMBSKULL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I addressed this about an hour ago. Please read the thread.

pauliewalnuts
10-15-2005, 04:42 PM
For me, tipping is all about refills. If you leave me with an empty glass of beer or coke for a long time, youre not likely to get a good tip from me. Maybe you didnt bring them another Budweiser quick enough, or perhaps they were pissed off that Applebee's didnt have PBR on tap.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're not entitled to a tip just because you're a server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why does the federal government allow restaurants to pay their waitstaff $2.13/hr? Because I'm classified as a tipped employee. In this state, that's $3.02 below minimum wage for non-tipped employees.

If I didn't expect to make any tips "just because I'm a server," my restaurant would pay me much more per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, the gov't CANNOT TAX YOU ON INCOME YOU HAVEN'T EARNED. so stop crying! MOST people leave a decent tip, right??

So stop crying about the 1% who don't. You're seriously delusional if you think I'm going to help pay your bills just 'cause you'd CHOSEN to wait tables at a crap establishment like Applebys.

BradleyT
10-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Anyone with an IQ over 100 (which is about 40% of OOT) isn't going to sympathize with someone who chooses to work for $2.13/hr and then complains about tips - no matter how many paper degrees you have.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
perhaps they were pissed off that Applebee's didnt have PBR on tap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, that's quite true actually. They seemed irritated that we didn't have Dr. Pepper or any kind of orange soda. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

private joker
10-15-2005, 04:45 PM
What's the difference between a server and a waiter? Are they synonymous? Does it depend on the restaurant? Do they have slightly different duties?

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but I actually do this job. I don't just post on webboards about how I think I know what doing the job is like.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, I bartended all the way through college, so stop feeling so superior. My guess is, this sh*t job has rightly brought you down afew notches. Now maybe you'll go use that training and education instead of whining.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone with an IQ over 100 (which is about 40% of OOT) isn't going to sympathize with someone who chooses to work for $2.13/hr and then complains about tips - no matter how many paper degrees you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just put it this way: I make less than $100 every two weeks on paychecks. And that's working 40-45 hours per week. My paychecks really don't mean a whole lot to me, since the vast majority of my income comes from tips. That is why I (and every other server on this board) complain, or have complained, about tips.

Dominic
10-15-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, but I like to make money everyday. Plus, I'm going to have to go through a full FAA security clearance in about a year. Do you think they're going to just pass me through if they see that I was a professional gambler?

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, it's up to us to pay your bills. my apologies.

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, I bartended all the way through college

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should understand that the tipping public is what pays our bills (unless of course, you DID make a decent hourly wage where you worked). Your previous posts don't show that you understand that at all.

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is, this sh*t job has rightly brought you down afew notches.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is that supposed to mean? I've worked so many [censored] jobs in the past, and this one is actually better than some of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Now maybe you'll go use that training and education instead of whining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh...Right. I already told you that I addressed this a little more than an hour ago.

HopeydaFish
10-15-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can get ahold of one of your old contacts and get him work as a fluffer? His experience kissing ass at Appleby's should make him qualified.

mmbt0ne
10-15-2005, 05:01 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, since only terrorists gamble. Plus, with all the relevant job experience you'll gain from waiting tables, how can they pass on you now!?

ddubois
10-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Maybe one of the cowboys was driving the Explorer (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3339029&amp;Fo rum=,f20,&amp;Words=road&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=33 39029&amp;Search=true&amp;where=sub&amp;Name=29328&amp;daterange=1 &amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=y&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyp rev=#Post3339029).

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe one of the cowboys was driving the Explorer (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3339029&amp;Fo rum=,f20,&amp;Words=road&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=33 39029&amp;Search=true&amp;where=sub&amp;Name=29328&amp;daterange=1 &amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=y&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyp rev=#Post3339029).

[/ QUOTE ]

That matters here...how?

Indiana
10-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Ah chit, I just saw Reggie Miller on the list. I'm goin over to his house to kick his ass right now.

Indy

Sponger15SB
10-15-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its true, unlike some people (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3580683&amp;Fo rum=,,,f20,,,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=3&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=35 80683&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=29328&amp;dateran ge=1&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bod yprev=#Post3580683) I can afford to pay my bills.

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[censored] tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, the min requirements for working at applebee's has gone up eh? all that for a $2/hour job? dude you are getting leased FO CHEEP

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its true, unlike some people (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3580683&amp;Fo rum=,,,f20,,,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=3&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=35 80683&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=29328&amp;dateran ge=1&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bod yprev=#Post3580683) I can afford to pay my bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, my post asking your ROI was to show the relation between my nightly tip percentage and ROI, but you just had to take it to the next level. I hope to god you don't have the balls to say these kinds of things to people's faces.

phage
10-15-2005, 05:32 PM
When you factor in tips how much more or less are you making than the kitchen staff?

imported_anacardo
10-15-2005, 05:41 PM
It's cool the way like 75% of you geeks start piling onto the OP after he's been arguing with a couple guys for an extended period &amp; is losing ground.

I don't care much for his position, but I'm not gonna be the douchebag hating on "the guy who works at Applebee's," either. Life's tough, things don't work out immediately sometimes. I've worked some [censored] jobs in my time too, and feel lucky that I'm a good enough Go Fish player to make a living.

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's cool the way like 75% of you geeks start piling onto the OP after he's been arguing with a couple guys for an extended period &amp; is losing ground.

I don't care much for his position, but I'm not gonna be the douchebag hating on "the guy who works at Applebee's," either. Life's tough, things don't work out immediately sometimes. I've worked some [censored] jobs in my time too, and feel lucky that I'm a good enough Go Fish player to make a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

all of us have had [censored] jobs before, but if something goes bad one day, don't come and bitch to OOTiots expecting sympathy. After my education I did not get a magical job right away, I had to work [censored] jobs before I landed something in the field, did I bitch about it? No, I wasn't lucky enough to score a [censored] job that society deemed tip-worthy.

CD56
10-15-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So...I would have to go to the other Applebees 2 miles away? Or take my chances on the Chilis/TGIF/Ruby Tuesdays/Other cheesy restaurant across the street?

Rough

Sponger15SB
10-15-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope to god you don't have the balls to say these kinds of things to people's faces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I ever said it to your face, hopefully you wouldn't be open carrying your gun at that time.

Seriously dude, your posts in OOT are lame and they get thrown back in your face every time. I suggest you try and gauge what the reaction from OOT is going to be the next time you try and complain about something.

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 05:56 PM
i nominate this guy for the first OOT survivor

DasLeben
10-15-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope to god you don't have the balls to say these kinds of things to people's faces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I ever said it to your face, hopefully you wouldn't be open carrying your gun at that time.

Seriously dude, your posts in OOT are lame and they get thrown back in your face every time. I suggest you try and gauge what the reaction from OOT is going to be the next time you try and complain about something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering you're getting personal (even though I didn't say anything to provoke you personally), I think that your posts aren't any better than mine.

JackWilson
10-15-2005, 07:18 PM
20% minimum on all bills. When the bill is a bit smaller I would definitely consider giving more than 20%. These people don't make [censored] for hard work but at least they are working, unlike the millions of unemployed people in South Africa. I like to help them out.

Yeah, this means I tip even for bad service. So what? Bad service might be a factor in whether I'm going back there or not, but I'm not gonna "make a stand" over a lousy few bucks.

mmbt0ne
10-15-2005, 07:23 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering you're getting personal (even though I didn't say anything to provoke you personally), I think that your posts aren't any better than mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

One STT poster attacking another's ROI isn't personal? Bullshit.

beernutz
10-15-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this a big secret when you started your job? They hire you and then tell you how much you make?

Grow up. People [censored] people over all the time. The difference between them and you is that they are men enough to deal with it and move on without crying about it.

Ulysses
10-15-2005, 07:50 PM
DasLeben,

You said you average 18-20%, right? How much are you going to report as income? 12%?

gobboboy
10-15-2005, 08:46 PM
http://www.bitterwaitress.com/std/index.html?detail=1&amp;id=849
Someone's got some splainin to do.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't know what your motivations are or why you decided to mess with me, but I assure you I am totally calm. As much as I would love to discuss this matter further I am starting to think that the two of us ignoring each other is definitely the right decision. I wish you the best, and I wish you a pleasant evening.

Brian.

p.s. At the risk of sounding like an ass kisser, I really do respect your posts in the Politics forum. I truly wish you nothing but the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I came back and saw this thread boomed from six pages to a monster overnight and over the course of the day. I still feel your post should be addressed, as it really doesn't make sense and turns reality upside down. So here goes.

I can assure you that the "going after" appears to me to be coming entirely from your side, as I've done nothing but stick to the subject and remark that saying things like "you're wrong" without elaborating constitute simple gainsaying, not participating in a discussion, and therefore are by definition not productive. This is not "going after" you, but acknowledging that you seem to have lost your way in the discussion. If this has seemed to you like an attack, I apologize, but I think it's clear that you're misinterpreting.

As you say of me, I don't wish you ill, but simply wish that you had stuck to a productive discussion.

I have made perhaps one post in politics, and it was months ago. I wish I could accept your compliment on my posts in that forum, but you have me confused with someone else.

And now I have to decide if I want to read 11 pages more of this. I went to sleep when the discussion, surprisingly coherent though some emotions seemed to run high, started to degenerate, and it seems like the kind where people can be very tempted to speak without thinking, and certainly without listening. I wonder if it's worth trudging through.

miajag81
10-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Why don't you call the
http://jakee.shackspace.com/waaahmbulance.jpg

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you call the
http://jakee.shackspace.com/waaahmbulance.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

Brad22
10-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Dude, it just sucks, and you have to move on. It's not to lessen your anger or make it go away magically, but that's the best solution. Some people just suck like that.

My friend served a party of 12 people for 2.5 hrs. once on a $300 tab all night long and he ended up getting $10 at the end of the night. He was angry about the ordeal, but he was confident that he was good server and that the people were rude.

cbfair
10-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Since you asked for input... I've worked in restaurants for years (not currently) in both tipped and untipped positions. Due to my empathy for those in the industry, my standard tip is 20%+ up to around 30% depending on various factors.

That said, sometimes service sucks. Sometimes its the server's fault and sometimes it's not; I can usually tell the difference. If a server fucks up and admits it, the tip is saved. If a server fucks up and tries to blame the kitchen or any one else when its clearly the server's fault, I will stiff.

My stiffs are unique, though, since I know that customers sometimes legitamately forget. I'm not at all above leaving a few dimes on the table and nothing else to ensure that the message is crystal clear. This is extraodinarily rare but I have done it a couple of times, I can't remember the last time.

I empathize with servers and know the demands of the job. It is a very difficult one and deserves compensation when I recieve fair to excellent service. Serving is also a meritocracy, crappy servers will not last long in most restaurants worth frequenting. Perhaps I'm doing everyone a service by hastening their exit before a line cook rips them a new one and they leave in tears in the middle of a weekend rush.

edited to add: DasLeben, I'm not suggesting you gave poor service or that they simply forgot. Regardless of the validity of the various points of view in this thread, some people are just shitty tippers.

Blarg
10-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Seems like a good outlook to me.

10-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Working in a restaurant makes you racist. The sad sad truth. The majority of people who leave shitty tips are minorities. Of course there are always exceptions, but ask any server if he'd rather have a 4 top of white men or a 4 top of mexican woman.

I've worked as a server for many many years. You shouldn't complain about tips if you work at Applebee's, Chili's, etc... Work at a fine dining restaurant, where a table of 2 can ring up a tab over 100 dollars. You rarely get stiffed in this environment.

Also, some people just don't have the money to go out to eat very often and just don't understand that 15% is customary. They often thing throwing down a 5 will due no matter what that bill is.

TheCroShow
10-16-2005, 01:21 AM
were the cowboys white? just curious, now it's getting all racial up in this muh'

10-16-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously you sound like someone who has become a pro poker player and now wants to bitch about variance. You're coming off ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an excellent point

Bad tips come with the job.

But us servers still like to bitch about them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One STT poster attacking another's ROI isn't personal? Bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who attacked his ROI? I haven't even played STTs for like 4 months. Note my total lack of posts there. All I was doing was comparing my tip percentage to ROI. I really don't know or care about his ROI.

But, you'll undoubtedly dismiss that as BS too.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Grow up. People [censored] people over all the time. The difference between them and you is that they are men enough to deal with it and move on without crying about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is "them" in this case? I don't get it.

Anyways, I worked tonight and had a very good night. I'm over it. I hope you guys are over your "bash DasLeben" mood too. I doubt it though. You guys always need some chum in the waters.

Blarg
10-16-2005, 02:02 AM
A lot of people got hyped up and took disagreements in this thread way too seriously, and from your last post, it looks like you did too.

Oh well, we're all human, and OOT is not exactly an important place to be flawless in.

10-16-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Working in a restaurant makes you racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, being a racist makes you racist.

When I was around 17, a friend and I went to a Denny’s or something similar to that. We thought each other covered the tip and left. The waiter comes outside, “YO? DID YOU NOT LIKE MY SERVICE?” We replied that was not the case, “Then how come you left me [censored]?” We questioned each other about the tip, and yes, we left nothing. We rectified the situation and pulled some money out, but it was kind of a strange situation.

Years later, I took my mother out for Mother’s Day to a nice restaurant. The service was good (and the food for that matter)- the bill came to $199.xx. I pulled out 2 $100 bills and 1 $50 bill. I put the money in the billfold and left.

As we approach the car:

“HEY, [censored]? WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR SERVICE?”

“Excuse me?”

“YOU HEARD ME”

“What are you talking about?”

“YOU KNOW WHAT- YOU STIFFED ME YOU CHEAP [censored]”

I looked in my wallet and sure enough, I pulled two $50’s and one $100.

He was a very nice guy when he was serving us, but this mistake saved me $50.

In conclusion, should I form an opinion about servers from this?

HopeydaFish
10-16-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Working in a restaurant makes you racist. The sad sad truth. The majority of people who leave shitty tips are minorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working in any industry where you serve the public is liable to help make you racist. I felt it happening to me when I worked in sales. I worked in a furniture store and we'd get a lot of new immigrants to the country who didn't have a firm grip of the language or culture, and didn't have a lot of money to spend so they'd all be looking at the cheapest items and would all want to bargain.

The thing is that there were also MANY annoying and ignorant white people as well. But they all blend together. It's the minorities that you remember, because they're different than you and stick out more because of it. It's like only remembering the particularly bad beats in *that game*, but forgetting all of the times you gave bad beats to others, and then concluding that the site is rigged.

If you kept track of all the times that white people stiffed you on tips and compared it to all the times that non-whites stiffed you, you'd probably find that there isn't as much difference in tipping between the races as you thought.

TheCroShow
10-16-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Working in any industry where you serve the public is liable to help make you racist. I felt it happening to me when I worked in sales. I worked in a furniture store and we'd get a lot of new immigrants to the country who didn't have a firm grip of the language or culture, and didn't have a lot of money to spend so they'd all be looking at the cheapest items and would all want to bargain.

The thing is that there were also MANY annoying and ignorant white people as well. But they all blend together. It's the minorities that you remember, because they're different than you and stick out more because of it. It's like only remembering the particularly bad beats in *that game*, but forgetting all of the times you gave bad beats to others, and then concluding that the site is rigged.

If you kept track of all the times that white people stiffed you on tips and compared it to all the times that non-whites stiffed you, you'd probably find that there isn't as much difference in tipping between the races as you thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD you're speaking the truth brother, good point

austinpowers
10-16-2005, 04:03 AM
I am sure I will make comments already said but I don't have time to read everyone's and I really want to say this.
1)You took the job knowing full well what your wages were and what your duties were so don't complain that you only make x amount an hour for running your ass off.... you applied and took the job
2)Just because a bill is for example $300 doesn't mean a server should get $30-$45 in tips..... because for all we know, there could have only been two customers who happened to order $75 steak and lobster dinners and ordered two bottles of the nicest wine..... meaning that you didn't have to work as hard as you would if it were 20 people ordering cheeseburgers and pop.
3) I almost always tip and I think I am a good tipper but I have grown to hate the expected tip and to hate the fact that a lot of servers think it is a guarantee and therefor don't "earn" it.... and when they behave this way I leave them NOTHING.... and I LOVE it
4) You cannot say that people who feel the same as I don't know what it is like because I used to work in a restaurant and I always felt really awkward getting tipped... I mean, I am only doing my job... the job that I am getting paid a wage for.
5) I am a teacher now and nobody tips me for doing my job which I am certain I work a hell of a lot harder at than you do and I work longer hours and I had to get two degrees to do.... and I don't make a great wage either

So, if you don't like it then quit because I am sooooooo sick of hearing whiny b itch es like you compalin about how hard you have it..... it is my money and I will do with it as I please. And it pleases me to deny tipping you!!!

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure I will make comments already said but I don't have time to read everyone's and I really want to say this.
1)You took the job knowing full well what your wages were and what your duties were so don't complain that you only make x amount an hour for running your ass off.... you applied and took the job

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Already covered. And y'know what, I made $14/hr tonight, not including my base wage. You can go suck it.

[ QUOTE ]
2)Just because a bill is for example $300 doesn't mean a server should get $30-$45 in tips..... because for all we know, there could have only been two customers who happened to order $75 steak and lobster dinners and ordered two bottles of the nicest wine..... meaning that you didn't have to work as hard as you would if it were 20 people ordering cheeseburgers and pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how much should I make? You seem to be the resident expert and authority here. $5? $10? C'mon. Throw out some numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
3) I almost always tip and I think I am a good tipper but I have grown to hate the expected tip and to hate the fact that a lot of servers think it is a guarantee and therefor don't "earn" it.... and when they behave this way I leave them NOTHING.... and I LOVE it

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're welcome to come into my restaurant and watch me work my ass off. I definitely work for my tips.

[ QUOTE ]
4) You cannot say that people who feel the same as I don't know what it is like because I used to work in a restaurant and I always felt really awkward getting tipped... I mean, I am only doing my job... the job that I am getting paid a wage for.

[/ QUOTE ]

You felt awkward making tips? You are the first server/ex-server I've met that's ever felt like that. When tips are what pay your bills, you can't think like that. Actually, it's not even possible to think like that and keep your electricity on at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
5) I am a teacher now and nobody tips me for doing my job which I am certain I work a hell of a lot harder at than you do and I work longer hours and I had to get two degrees to do.... and I don't make a great wage either

[/ QUOTE ]

"You took the job knowing full well what your wages were and what your duties were so don't complain that you only make x amount an hour for running your ass off."

Look familiar?

[ QUOTE ]
So, if you don't like it then quit because I am sooooooo sick of hearing whiny b itch es like you compalin about how hard you have it..... it is my money and I will do with it as I please. And it pleases me to deny tipping you!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So...you expect me to come into work and make nothing? I've already mentioned that at the end of the night, I'm required to "tip out" 2% of my sales to the hosts, regardless of how much I made in tips. I actually lost money working that $102 table. And no, my base wage didn't make up for that, considering my checks every two weeks are meaningless (and some people don't even get checks).

Let me just repeat that for effect: When you don't tip for decent service, not only are you not fairly compensating your server, you're costing him/her money. If I don't get tipped, I have to come up with that "tip out" money out of my own pocket. Do you consider this at all fair or courteous to other people?

Oh, maybe you could also fill me in as to how you're a teacher (with two degrees, even), yet your post is rife with grammatical/spelling errors.

[censored]
10-16-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try STlantny but no means no.

Dominic
10-16-2005, 11:18 AM
DasLeben is a tool.

That is all.

Clarkmeister
10-16-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DasLeben,

You said you average 18-20%, right? How much are you going to report as income?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somehow not surprised that this hasn't been answered.

canis582
10-16-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

then fly a plane. my dad made great money with twa. he only needed a two year degree to be a pilot.

TheMainEvent
10-16-2005, 01:31 PM
This one (http://www.bitterwaitress.com/std/index.html?detail=1&amp;id=2646) made me laugh. I don't think they understand that 90% of us disregard the tip jar, and if we put anything in there it won't be more than a dollar.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DasLeben is a tool.

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Nice try, but I already called you a tool on page one.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DasLeben,

You said you average 18-20%, right? How much are you going to report as income?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm somehow not surprised that this hasn't been answered.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really not anyone's business. Hourly rate is one thing, but my tax information is private.

[ QUOTE ]
then fly a plane. my dad made great money with twa. he only needed a two year degree to be a pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should refer you to the three other times in this thread that I've addressed this.

You guys really are unbelievable.

daryn
10-16-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's really not anyone's business. Hourly rate is one thing, but my tax information is private.

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is, there's little to no doubt that you cheat on your taxes by underreporting your tips. and then you are coming here complaining that you got stiffed one time by a bunch of cowboys.

hmmm....

TheCroShow
10-16-2005, 03:57 PM
das, just stop posting. we have heard what you have to say and we will continue to BEAT YOU DOWN

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the point is, there's little to no doubt that you cheat on your taxes by underreporting your tips. and then you are coming here complaining that you got stiffed one time by a bunch of cowboys.

hmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheat on my taxes? That's a pretty damn serious accusation, is it not? Come up with some proof as to how/why/when I'd do such a thing, and then we can discuss why you're an idiot for running your mouth.

[ QUOTE ]
das, just stop posting. we have heard what you have to say and we will continue to BEAT YOU DOWN

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. You guys have people on the internet on your side. I have people I know personally (read: "in real life") that have been in the service industry for years literally laughing their asses off at your replies.

Say what you want, you're not "BEATING ME DOWN," as I've got real-life people backing me up.

jakethebake
10-16-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

If he does in fact underpay his taxes, it's the only thing in this thread I've found to respect about him.

TheCroShow
10-16-2005, 04:12 PM
YSSCKY

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, well I guess this thread has degraded to this now. Yeah whatever.

I'm done.

gildwulf
10-16-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

hmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheat on my taxes? That's a pretty damn serious accusation, is it not? Come up with some proof as to how/why/when I'd do such a thing, and then we can discuss why you're an idiot for running your mouth.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. You guys have people on the internet on your side. I have people I know personally (read: "in real life") that have been in the service industry for years literally laughing their asses off at your replies.

Say what you want, you're not "BEATING ME DOWN," as I've got real-life people backing me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real-life people are a 2-1 favorite over internet people and it's not even close.

ggbman
10-16-2005, 04:19 PM
If people are allowed to be paid significantly less than minimum wage and HAVE TO declare tips they don't even get for tax purposes, i would say there is respnisiblity to tip unless service is very bad for some reason. I used to work in a resteraunt, and now that i can afford to, i tip servers very well. Whether or not you do or what your standards are is your busniess. But encouraging people to have the mindset that tipping is optional when you know for a fact that the prices on food are lower BASED ON THE PREMISE that you are going to tip your server is crap. Do what you want, but dont enoucrage this kind of behavior.

Clarkmeister
10-16-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheat on my taxes? That's a pretty damn serious accusation, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you didn't cheat, it's pretty simple to say "I claim the same 18-20% toke rate that I earn. Since you didn't, it's fairly obvious that you do.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you didn't cheat, it's pretty simple to say "I claim the same 18-20% toke rate that I earn. Since you didn't, it's fairly obvious that you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I said it's not any of your business. That's pretty different, yeah?

daryn
10-16-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, you cheat on your taxes. you know it. why not just say, yes i report all of my income? because you don't.

daryn
10-16-2005, 04:47 PM
[censored] i nominate DasLesbian for OOT survivor

Nick B.
10-16-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that daryn. I kind of like threads where one person is completely wrong but feels he needs to defend himself against everybody instead of just admitting he is wrong. (like the barron thread)

MelK
10-16-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that daryn. I kind of like threads where one person is completely wrong but feels he needs to defend himself against everybody instead of just admitting he is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn is right.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that daryn. I kind of like threads where one person is completely wrong but feels he needs to defend himself against everybody instead of just admitting he is wrong. (like the barron thread)

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you win. You're right, I'm wrong. I shouldn't go into work expecting tips at all. I should just live with the $2.13/hr that the restaurant gives me (because they're evil, not because I'm considered a tipped employee by the government), and try to make ends meet with $300/month (in reality much less than that, considering I'd have to pay money to go to work if I wasn't tipped).

Does that sound smart to you? If it does, then you should just stick with poker and never get into the working world.

Use your [censored] head.

Clarkmeister
10-16-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, because no one would get as defensive as you were if they were being honest.

daryn
10-16-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you win. You're right, I'm wrong. I shouldn't go into work expecting tips at all. I should just live with the $2.13/hr that the restaurant gives me (because they're evil, not because I'm considered a tipped employee by the government), and try to make ends meet with $300/month (in reality much less than that, considering I'd have to pay money to go to work if I wasn't tipped).

Does that sound smart to you? If it does, then you should just stick with poker and never get into the working world.

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh. i didn't want it to come to this but oh well

HAHAHHAHAHA YOU MAKE 2 DOLLARS AN HOUR AND GOT STIFFED, I MAKE $500 AN HOUR PLAYING POKER ONLINE LOLOLOLOLOOL

Nick B.
10-16-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You use your [censored] head. Jesus christ. Quit quoting the "2.13/hr" number. You know you are going to get tips over time. Don't [censored] bitch about the one time you got [censored] stiffed. Expect that for all the other tips you receive that you get stiffed sometimes. Do you think businesses don't get checks that bounce or uncollectable accounts. They do, but they don't go and post about it on a message board. They actually take it into account that for all their sales they will have 2% or 3% that is uncollectable and adjust. Don't tell me how hard your [censored] job is either. You wait tables. I paved driveways for 3 years and you know how many times I got a tip, once for $20 split 6 ways.

daryn
10-16-2005, 05:25 PM
wow, i paved driveways too. nice! now that's hard work

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You use your [censored] head. Jesus christ. Quit quoting the "2.13/hr" number. You know you are going to get tips over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite true, but I'm simply explaining to people that tips are almost all of my income.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't [censored] bitch about the one time you got [censored] stiffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a lot worse threads in this forum. Also, I've already said that I'm over it. Now I'm simply defending myself against the hoards.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't tell me how hard your [censored] job is either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't. But, read below for a little clarification.

[ QUOTE ]
You wait tables. I paved driveways for 3 years and you know how many times I got a tip, once for $20 split 6 ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples and oranges. I've had a shitty manual labor job before, and I can't at all compare it to my server job. The stresses are just completely different.

With my manual labor job, I'd be working my ass off physically for hours on end in the hot sun. At my server job, I stay indoors and talk to people. Sure, I carry food, but it's not heavy. However, the stresses are completely different. A manual labor job works your muscles hard. A server job works your brain hard. If you laugh at that, go get a server job for a week and see what I mean. We've had people walk off the job during a big dinner rush.

Let me just put it this way: I fly multiengine aircraft in instrument conditions, and there are times when my server job is more difficult.

Also, in regards to your "$20 split 6 ways": Were you considered a tipped employee by the government, or...?

inyaface
10-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I worked serving/bartending in the summer. The one thing I learned is some people don't tip and some people suck and are just bad people and you need to ignore them. Of course you get the 20% tippers who come in every day, who are the nicest people you'll ever meet and who always understand if you mess something up and they make up for the people that complain because there water doesn't have exactly 25 ice cubes in it like they asked for and the people who don't tip well because there ignorant or just cheap.

Anyone who said it is fine not to tip if the service is bad is compleatly wrong. 10% is the absolute minimum you should ever tip. Part of going to eat somewhere is paying for the service, not only the food. Therefore if you got no service it would be ok to tip nothing but for any type of service 10% should be minimum.

On another note quit your job and play poker, it's way more profitable.

JaBlue
10-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Don't a lot of places like the one where you work (7 stakes for 100$) include the tip in the bill for large parties? How come your place doesn't, and why don't you see if you can change it? Sounds like a guaranteed 15% for you might be better than getting 20% most often but having the occasional assclowns that give you nothing.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-16-2005, 07:10 PM
I love a good tipping thread.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't a lot of places like the one where you work (7 stakes for 100$) include the tip in the bill for large parties? How come your place doesn't, and why don't you see if you can change it? Sounds like a guaranteed 15% for you might be better than getting 20% most often but having the occasional assclowns that give you nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately it's only parties 8 or more where I work. I really wish they'd change it to 6 (or 7 for that matter), but I guess that's just Applebee's policy. Not much my managers can do either.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, because no one would get as defensive as you were if they were being honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being defensive at all. It's simply none of your business. Are you going to tell me right now what you made last year at your job? How much was your tax return?

The funny thing about this post is that you'll probably actually answer these questions (or simply make up numbers) just to save face. Now, go ask a random guy on the street those same two questions, and he'll tell you to go [censored] yourself.

10-16-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being defensive at all. It's simply none of your business. Are you going to tell me right now what you made last year at your job? How much was your tax return?

The funny thing about this post is that you'll probably actually answer these questions (or simply make up numbers) just to save face. Now, go ask a random guy on the street those same two questions, and he'll tell you to go [censored] yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you basically shared too much information when you said you make 18%-20% in tips. If you don't claim (IRS) 18%-20%, then you are cheating on your taxes. This has nothing to do with how much money you make.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you basically shared too much information when you said you make 18%-20% in tips. If you don't claim (IRS) 18%-20%, then you are cheating on your taxes. This has nothing to do with how much money you make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said I don't declare 18-20%? I sure didn't.

It is none of your business what I declare as tips at the end of the night.

There, now drop it. This was not the original intent of this thread to begin with.

Isura
10-16-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would want to be banned from a restaurant that would ban me for not tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. And I would make sure that every customer in the restaurant would hear that I was being banned for not tipping.

Sponger15SB
10-16-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it isn't, but that doesn't mean you can't just tell us. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sponger15SB
10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously. And I would make sure that every customer in the restaurant would hear that I was being banned for not tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather let everyone customer is the restaurant know how shitty their service is instead of making myself look like a loud mouthed dick.

10-16-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There, now drop it. This was not the original intent of this thread to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I will drop it (my first post about that part), but what was the original intent of this thread?

mmbt0ne
10-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Let me just put it this way: I fly multiengine aircraft in instrument conditions, and there are times when my server job is more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm sure this has nothing to do with your excellent people skills.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I will drop it (my first post about that part), but what was the original intent of this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure anymore. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually, I just wanted to vent right after I got off from work, but then this thread turned into a huge charlie fox.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually (if you've ever done the job), the challenge doesn't come from dealing with people, it comes from being able to memorize a large amount of information, prioritize your tasks, and do a large amount of multitasking.

Clarkmeister
10-16-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can answer that I paid all taxes on every single dollar of income. And that's the only question that you won't answer. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Be careful, they are getting more aggressive about going after tax cheats like yourself #59.

mmbt0ne
10-16-2005, 08:12 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually (if you've ever done the job), the challenge doesn't come from dealing with people, it comes from being able to memorize a large amount of information, prioritize your tasks, and do a large amount of multitasking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, none of which are applicable while flying an airplane.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can answer that I paid all taxes on every single dollar of income. And that's the only question that you won't answer. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Be careful, they are getting more aggressive about going after tax cheats like yourself #59.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think what you want, dude. I really didn't give you enough information to prove or disprove your assumption. And that's how it's going to stay.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, none of which are applicable while flying an airplane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Of course they're applicable. Are you a pilot too?

I compared two jobs that require a lot of the same basic skills. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

daryn
10-16-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think what you want, dude. I really didn't give you enough information to prove or disprove your assumption. And that's how it's going to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are just being a huge dickhead. it's not about how much you made. you either paid taxes on all your income or you didn't. you won't answer, and you claim it's because of a privacy issue, when really you are just pleading the 5th amendment, and everyone knows you're guilty bitchhhhh

HajiShirazu
10-16-2005, 08:25 PM
My only problem with tipping is that it's based on percentage, not amount served/work done. Why should you have to tip more because the prices were higher? It doesn't take any more work for the server if the bill is $300 instead of $30.

10-16-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My only problem with tipping is that it's based on percentage, not amount served/work done. Why should you have to tip more because the prices were higher? It doesn't take any more work for the server if the bill is $300 instead of $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does! Not always. We can be talking about a 30 dollar bottle of wine and a 300 dollar bottle of win. But usually a higher bill means that the server did more work.

Ulysses
10-16-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said I don't declare 18-20%? I sure didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just asking whether or not you paid taxes on all your tips. I have been a partner in a bar and know hundreds of servers/bartenders. Not a single one of them has ever paid taxes on all their income. In fact, I have never even heard of anyone even considering doing that.

I assume you are the same. So, you are cheating all of the rest of us citizens who pay all our taxes. That's relevant in this thread, since you're bitching about getting stiffed.

If you are indeed the one server who pays taxes on all his tips, please let me know and I will apologize for my insinuation.

10-16-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are just being a huge dickhead. it's not about how much you made. you either paid taxes on all your income or you didn't. you won't answer, and you claim it's because of a privacy issue, when really you are just pleading the 5th amendment, and everyone knows you're guilty bitchhhhh

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not being a dickhead; he's stuck 4 racks and is doubling the stakes in an attempt to get even.

I mean, he doesn't mind telling everyone his hourly is $2.13 and he earns a paycheck of less than $300 a month, or that he makes 18%-20% in tips; however, once asked if he claims the 20%, well... that's too personal.

This stuff is great.

TheMainEvent
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does! Not always. We can be talking about a 30 dollar bottle of wine and a 300 dollar bottle of win. But usually a higher bill means that the server did more work.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you are comparing bills at the same restaurant.

dblgutshot
10-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Is it standard in all states that serving positions get paid below min. wage since they get tips??? Never heard of this before and it sounds horrible.

Guy Incognito
10-16-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it standard in all states that serving positions get paid below min. wage since they get tips??? Never heard of this before and it sounds horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the law (at least in my state) is that if wages + tips &lt; minimum wage, then the employer has to make up the difference.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Fine. If you still consider it your business (which it's not), I pay taxes on all of my income.

Happy?

HopeydaFish
10-16-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's pretty standard. I have to wonder how the government arrived at the figure of $2.13 an hour, though. I mean, why not $2.15 or $2.00? Why make it such a weird amount?

HopeydaFish
10-16-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fine. If you still consider it your business (which it's not), I pay taxes on all of my income.

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, nobody is going to believe you.

DasLeben
10-16-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like your personal issue, and not mine.

daryn
10-16-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't believe you are a real person at this point.

HopeydaFish
10-16-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't believe you are a real person at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just stated the obvious, that everyong who has been disagreeing with him (and I'm not one of them) will refuse to believe him at this point.

10-16-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain?

Ulysses
10-16-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

That information makes me neither happy nor sad.

I am, however, quite surprised. I have never even heard of a server or bartender reporting all their tips.

Do any of your server friends report 100% of their tips? Or are you the only one you know of?

Just curious.

10-16-2005, 11:41 PM
It's very unlikely that a server or bartender would declare all their tips.

I think that the only reason that severs do get 2.13 an hour is so we can get taxed.

Damn gov't.

bdk3clash
10-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Getting stiffed sucks, but what kind of ghetto-ass restaurant do you work at where 7 cowboys can eat sirloins and shrimp and rack up a bill that barely crosses triple digits? Are you a waiter at Ponderosa or something?

Dominic
10-17-2005, 01:17 AM
hasn't this thread died already?

TheMainEvent
10-17-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, some restaurants are more expensive than others?

10-17-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, some restaurants are more expensive than others?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then, lets say you and a friend go to a lower end restaurant and you both order ribs and a beer. Tab comes out to about 40 we'll say. Next day you go to a fine dining restaurant and order a beer and ribs. This time the tab comes out to 80 dollars. You think it's ok to tip the same at both restaurants?

Jules22
10-17-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

That information makes me neither happy nor sad.

I am, however, quite surprised. I have never even heard of a server or bartender reporting all their tips.

Do any of your server friends report 100% of their tips? Or are you the only one you know of?

Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

im starting to wonder if this is even a real person. first he claims to work at a large chain establishment that bans customers for not tipping. lol. then he claims he pays taxes on every dollar he is tipped. i have known a ton of service personnel, and not one has claimed every single dollar. this dudes whole story smells like BS, and thats why hes catching this much flack.

Dave Mac
10-17-2005, 02:54 AM
kill yourself.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For me, tipping is all about refills. If you leave me with an empty glass of beer or coke for a long time, youre not likely to get a good tip from me. Maybe you didnt bring them another Budweiser quick enough, or perhaps they were pissed off that Applebee's didnt have PBR on tap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Refills and napkins. WTF is it with restaurants giving you one napkin with the strength of a kleenex these days? A napkin especially is something I want quickly. Not after you go talk to your little friends or something. I needed it perhaps because you didn't bring adequate napkins in the first place, but more importantly, because if my hands are messy, what am I supposed to do, lick them like a bear and then hold them up in the air for half an hour until you get back?

And if I want a refill, how long do you really think I'll enjoy being thirsty?

Anyone can understand that nothing can be done so instantaneously as to violate the laws of space and time, but what's a real pisser is if the server just doesn't seem to give a damn and leaves you hanging. Especially if their station with what you need is right close by and it's a 20 or 30 second matter for them to attend to. I can't tell you how many times I have had to get up and chase after napkins and a refill, and sometimes not just once, but repeatedly. And sometimes after making repeated requests.

WTF? No waitperson would like to get the terrible service I routinely see. But so many of them seem to be astoundingly oblivious to it when they're the one's doing the service.

P.S. -- when I ask for more napkins, don't bring me one goddamn napkin. Bring me at least a couple. And when you give me a refill, don't fill the glass halfway. Watch what the fyck you're doing.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

hmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my assumption no one in this thread was a bot.

daryn
10-17-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have people I know personally (read: "in real life") that have been in the service industry for years ...

[/ QUOTE ]

geniuses like yourself no doubt

astroglide
10-17-2005, 11:53 AM
'every single dollar', clark? every $1 bet over the name of an actor, sale of a dvd to a friend, that sort of thing?