PDA

View Full Version : Small Stakes Hold Em By Ed Miller

10-15-2005, 02:29 AM
Was wondering if anyone had any comments on this book? I don't know anyone who has read it but 2 plus 2 never seeems to disappoint me so I was just wondering if anyone would recommend it or had anything bad to say about it. Also, does the book touch on no limit hold em at all or is it strictly limit hold em? Any help would be appreciated.

lautzutao
10-15-2005, 02:44 AM
SSHE is kinda the Micro/Low limit Bible. That should quantify it for you.

10-17-2005, 01:01 PM
there are only 300 million posts about this, whats one more?

10-17-2005, 02:05 PM
what's all these references to the fact that there have been threads before??? i get tired of it, especially given that the search function is not exactly perfect on here.

anyhow, great, great book and NO, it doesn't touch on no-limit at all (or would be a few pages at most or mentioned in passing).

key thing about this book is that it says you need a good reason to fold a potential winning hand when there's a large pot. and no, 3rd pair is not a potential winning hand. it's more like "don't automatically assume the worst!" and i think it's good advice.

PJS
10-17-2005, 02:30 PM
As one of the other posters said, it's the bible of low limit. The book is especially helpful if you have been playing a while, and are looking to move to a more advanced stage in your game. As for bad things about the book, I personally haven't got anything negative to say about it.

jakethebake
10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Never heard of it. Is it new?

benfranklin
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's all these references to the fact that there have been threads before??? i get tired of it, especially given that the search function is not exactly perfect on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been literally thousands of posts about this book. People who post questions like this have obviously done absolutely nothing to try to answer their own question, and are fair game for flames about their lack of effort.

The search function works very well. If anyone doesn't know how to use it, I'd advise starting with the FAQs in the Beginners Forum and the Internet Forum.

Warren Whitmore
10-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Its a great book. The only thing I would change it the title. Should be called how to play in loose games. It is good for any limit where > 40% of the players are seeing the flop.

10-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Thank you. Nice to see someone respond w/ something meaningful. I too get tired of the "use the search" reply. The search isn't that great so I'd rather post my own stating what I exactly want to know rather than waste an hour of my time searching for it.

10-18-2005, 12:37 AM
lol thanks for the help Ben. Or should I say lack thereof. The search wastes my time even more than you do so I'd rather make my own post stating what I want to know.

10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
just came out last week

Rudbaeck
10-18-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The search isn't that great so I'd rather post my own stating what I exactly want to know rather than waste an hour of my time searching for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the search on this site isn't all that great. But if you think you need an hour to find a review of SSH using it then you are retarded to the point of being non-sentient.

All your rants against the above rant boil down to: "I am a spoiled brat and want to be spoon fed."

For your information it took me almost 20 seconds to find a review using the search engine. Which I'll admit is kinda slow, but atleast it beats your 1 hour estimate by a wee bit.

10-18-2005, 09:01 AM
The short bus does take me to school every day. That's no reason to make fun of someone. We were all created equal. On a more serious point, an hour probably was an exageration but it would take a lot longer than this new post. Get over it. Noone made you look at it.

Rudbaeck
10-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I'll be kind and reiterate what (almost) every other review screams: Buy the book already! If you ever play limit hold'em against loose and timid opponents it will pay for itself in a session.

10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
lol it's already on it's way big man

Ed Miller
10-18-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol it's already on it's way big man

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this thread. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

steamboatin
10-18-2005, 06:29 PM
It is anexcellent book full of infortation that you won't find anywhere else.

when you first get the book and until you really begin to understand it, your standard deviation will go through the roof.

bweiser8311962
10-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Great book.

Between it and HOH they are my bibles.

I'm surprised how cheaply you can get SSHE on PokerStars. A lot of books are a lot more "expensive" in terms of points needed to get them.

mackthefork
10-19-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is anexcellent book full of infortation that you won't find anywhere else.

when you first get the book and until you really begin to understand it, your standard deviation will go through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'd say about it is - It's the best written poker book on the market, anyone with the beginnings of a winning game can totally transform their play using the ideas presented. For me he's taken a lot of complicated ideas and meshed them together in a way that makes everything easy to understand, and the writing style is perfect for the intended readership.

Mack

Supern
10-19-2005, 08:48 AM
I agree it's a good book.
But the praise for SSHE is out of control.

What's lacking in this book is quite a bit:
* how to play the turn
* how to play in tight games
(many tight players at low limits)
* how to play in the blinds (against steal etc)
* analysing flop texture (ITH is way better at this)
* how to take notes about opponents (what to look for)
* how to play against different player types (T/L, P/A)
* not much about about bluffs, semibluffs
* isolation preflop
* getting raised on the turn
* shorthanded play
* psychology
* ...and probably many more concepts missing

I know there are other book from 2+2 that has all these concepts. But if you read what people say about SSHE you may think that it is the only book you will ever need.

Well that just ain't true.

Maybe we have SSHE 2 coming with the missing parts?
That would be sweet! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-19-2005, 12:01 PM
My copy just arrived after waiting for weeks for the mail (I am overseas). Between posting here and reading SSH I will most likely get fired from work. Oh well!

PJS
10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
"Between posting here and reading SSH I will most likely get fired from work"

Then you need to make damn good use of the book then. LOL

Eratosthenes
10-19-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's a good book.
But the praise for SSHE is out of control.

What's lacking in this book is quite a bit:
* how to play the turn
* how to play in tight games
(many tight players at low limits)
* how to play in the blinds (against steal etc)
* analysing flop texture (ITH is way better at this)
* how to take notes about opponents (what to look for)
* how to play against different player types (T/L, P/A)
* not much about about bluffs, semibluffs
* isolation preflop
* getting raised on the turn
* shorthanded play
* psychology
* ...and probably many more concepts missing

I know there are other book from 2+2 that has all these concepts. But if you read what people say about SSHE you may think that it is the only book you will ever need.

Well that just ain't true.

Maybe we have SSHE 2 coming with the missing parts?
That would be sweet! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also nothing about Omaha or stud in this SSH. I'm returning my copy!

10-19-2005, 11:02 PM
lol. I don't think there's really anyone on this site that really thinks they only need one book anyway. Most 2 plus 2ers have multiple books and are actually directed to the web site by buying a book. I don't think I need another lesson on anything that guy said in his list so I'm fine with my purchase. I'm actually very glad the book doesn't go over this stuff as it would bore me to death.

10-19-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is either dripping with sarcasm or with stupidity, and I can't tell which...

Dudd
10-20-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is either dripping with sarcasm or with stupidity, and I can't tell which...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is either dripping with sarcasm or with stupidity, and I can tell which...

10-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Well, Im a NL player switching to Limit, and Im wondering... where would I find information on limit bluffing.... see, to me, a bluff or semi is a pot bet on the turn, or a push, or somesuch... not so possible anymore.

And no, I can't search "limit bluff book section semi bluff"

so please just answer it for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-20-2005, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is either dripping with sarcasm or with stupidity, and I can tell which...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you enlighten everyone?

10-20-2005, 07:47 AM
I haven't gotten that far yet...but I'm pretty sure that all-out bluffing is a definite no. In small stakes you need the best hand to win at showdown and all bluffing will do is lose you money. Semi-bluffing is good if you have a pot equity advantage because you could either win it right there vs. few opponents or if you are on a strong draw and your hand comes in it make for good value betting.

jakethebake
10-20-2005, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you really need to have your sarcasm meter checked.

Supern
10-20-2005, 08:21 AM
As I said the book is a good one.

But if you read the boards here it seems like this book is all you need.
And thats just not true.
I just wanted to tell it like it is.

It's a good book that lacks alot of info on how to play limit.

10-20-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be kind and reiterate what (almost) every other review screams: Buy the book already! If you ever play limit hold'em against loose and timid opponents it will pay for itself in a session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Literally. I bought and read this book and went from a habitually red balance player to an overwhelmingly green balance player. My bankroll is up 200% in 3 weeks (yeah, variance I know) after finishing this book. I am rereading it now to pick up some more points about my post flop play.

Heck, just the starting hand chart is enough to make the book worth reading. And thats just 4 pages.

WallyWattz
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Has anyone that has read SSHE also read HE For Advanced Players? I have my FPP's on pokerstars to spend and I'm considering one of these two books. Is there really a great difference between the topics talked about in the two?

Niediam
10-20-2005, 05:15 PM
SSH will be much better for your game.

WallyWattz
10-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I assume that much of SSH is applicable to the party .5/1 games? This book is simply about limit poker, correct??

Niediam
10-20-2005, 09:31 PM
The book is strickly about limit hold'em and is completely applicate for Party micro and smallstakes limit games.

Malachii
10-20-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Im a NL player switching to Limit

[/ QUOTE ]
Shame on you.

Petteri
10-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Small Stakes Holdem is book about loose games. If you play in games there usually 4-7 players see flop and great deal of hands go to showdown Small Stakes Holdem is the book.

For tighter games were players can release their hands and usually 2-4 players see flop there is 2 other books. Holdem Poker for Advanced Players and Middle Limit Holdem Poker cover tighter games.

In online poker HPFAP and MLHP are best books for 2/4 $ and up. My personal opinion is that Middle Limit Holdem Poker is the best limit book available.

Supern
10-21-2005, 03:10 AM
You should definitely buy HE For Advanced Players as well as SSHE.
It teaches you how to play against the better players at low limits.

Megenoita
10-24-2005, 05:52 AM
People should stop saying SSHE is a book about loose games. It's not. It's a book about thinking properly about poker applied to loose games. Point is, SSHE applies to tight games at higher levels, too. Before SSHE, I was winning slightly at 1/2. After SSHE, I've yet to see a level to which it doesn't apply. I asked Ed Miller and he said that even up to 100/200, it applies. The EV calculations, hand range estimations, etc. are concepts that apply to every game at every level.

I believe it's more accurate to say that HEPFAP applies to tighter games with thinking opponents than it is accurate to say that SSHE is for loose games. That's why SSHE is a superior book overall.

What I really wish is if someone would write a SSHE book specifically for 6 max 10/20 and above. That would be sick.

M

Felipe
10-25-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been literally thousands of posts about this book. People who post questions like this have obviously done absolutely nothing to try to answer their own question, and are fair game for flames about their lack of effort.

The search function works very well. If anyone doesn't know how to use it, I'd advise starting with the FAQs in the Beginners Forum and the Internet Forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that people should use the search function. However, posts like there are only 300 million posts about this, whats one more? are worse than the OP's post. It generates no discussion, discourages new memebers from posting on 2+2, clutters the good replies, and makes him look like a dumb-azz! I think the OP's question is valid. if people don't like it, lock the post, or just flip to another post worth reading.

Really, if the post bothers you so much, how can you even find the courage or desire to even reply! how sick! Just ignore it and move on. Don't clutter good responses with useless derogatory comments.

I'm of the philosophy "there aren't stupid questions, only stupid answers." there are only 300 million posts about this, whats one more? is one of them.