PDA

View Full Version : QJ Three-handed

Softrock
05-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Playing 20-40 threehanded - I don't play alot of short handed games and my approach is either play very aggressively or muck. I have the button with QJo - first question is would anyone not play this hand three-handed?

I raise and get called by BB - a player I don't know. Flop comes J83 suits irrelevant. I bet and get called. Turn is a 5 - again no flush issue. I bet and get raised. I don't see how I can muck top pair heads up here - anyone disagree? I call.

River is an A - I don't like it, he could easily have A3 or something like that. He bets out and I just call. Once again, does anyone fold here?

BB showed AJ so I was in a world of hurt from the outset. Could I have reasonably avoided this hand or saved any money? I always worry when I tell myself it was just bad luck and there was nothing I really could have done differently but not having a read on my opponent and playing 3-handed I just don't see that I could have gotten away from this hand. I welcome any comments/criticisms.

tewall
05-30-2003, 02:42 PM
It depends on your opposition. If your opponent doesn't play much SH, you could probably fold on the turn. If he's an experienced player and you don't have a read on him, you have to pay him off IMO. A good player might raise you with hands you could beat.

Ikke
06-01-2003, 07:51 PM
"I have the button......

Nice! Get ready to put some heat on your opponents.

".....with QJo - first question is would anyone not play this hand three-handed?"

OK...let's get on with it. Raise!

"Turn is a 5 - again no flush issue. I bet and get raised. I don't see how I can muck top pair heads up here - anyone disagree?"

I can't fold here, against all but the weakest opponents. Since you didnt give info about your opponent I'll just say no.

"I call."

Considered 3-betting? Lots of advantages to raise here. See which ones?

"I always worry when I tell myself it was just bad luck..."

Stop doing that. You either played it well or didnt. That's where your focus should be on. The whole dynamic of the hand in that particular situation. The showdown is really only a tiny part of this game.

Regards

vegthe1st
06-03-2003, 02:06 AM
I think the hand was played fine considering you lacked any information about your opponent. Maybe a better play though would be to re-raise him on the turn because you are going to call two more bets anyways and by re-raising him here you can win the pot or if re-raised you can get away from the hand. IF he calls your re-raise you still must give him credit for a hand that beats yours. Now, you know you can't bluff him on the river and you also know that youre beat. So, I would check and fold if he bet on the river. Tell me what you think of this play.

Softrock
06-03-2003, 11:31 PM
I think your suggestion is a good one and if I knew this player I would have been more likely to make it. Very tough when you don't know how aggressive someone will be with middle pair and an overcard kicker or something similar when playing short handed. This hand got me started and then I had two other hands where I was in the lead and got drawn out on - ended up stuck $1000 and then must-moved to the main game. So, I didn't have a chance to make it up in a short handed game where I thought I had the advantage long term. Thanks for the response.

Ulysses
06-06-2003, 04:59 AM
I have the button with QJo - first question is would anyone not play this hand three-handed?

QJo on the button 3-handed? I'd raise it every time.

Turn is a 5 - again no flush issue. I bet and get raised. I don't see how I can muck top pair heads up here - anyone disagree? I call.

Against a button PFR here, I know many shorthanded players will checkraise w/ any pair or a draw like 9T (expecting the PFR to bet the turn w/ AK or any pair). Some (who don't play much SH), of course, only raise w/ big hands. For that reason, I'd usually either 3-bet or muck here, depending on the player. Against the players I face, I'm more likely to 3-bet.

I'd call the river 3-handed against most opponents.

Don't think you can get away from this hand without a really clear read on your opponent.

mike l.
06-06-2003, 10:31 AM
you pretty much explain in this hand why playing short handed is much higher variance. word.

Ulysses
06-06-2003, 01:40 PM
you pretty much explain in this hand why playing short handed is much higher variance.

And so much more fun.

Sirens
06-07-2003, 10:05 AM
Depending on the player and his tendencies. Some players only checkraise the turn with two pair or better. Since you dont know your opponent and you do have top pair with a an ok kicker you can call him down and see the way he played that hand for the future. In general though calling down is a good play and raising with it preflop should be natural.
-Sirens