PDA

View Full Version : Best Disney Animated Movie (Round 2)

pudley4
10-15-2005, 01:08 AM
I'll respond to some comments first:

[ QUOTE ]
Beauty and the Beast should be a Classic

[/ QUOTE ]

The movies were divided chronologically; all the *Classics* were from before 1981 (Fox and the Hound); all the *Moderns* were from 1989 on (Little Mermaid). This was done because there was a definite shift in the style of movies around this time period (they became more modern in storyline, and more of a musical than just a story)

[ QUOTE ]
these should be seeded

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeding the Classics is very difficult, as almost all of them are very good. Plus, since we're only looking for the best one, it doesn't really matter if/when the #1 and #2 movies match up. However, because the Classics are so closely matched overall, I'm allowing the first-round losers to play off against each other. The finals will then pit the second-chance winner against the Classics winner and the Modern winner.

[ QUOTE ]
(Lion King) ranked 10th??? please

[/ QUOTE ]

The numbers are not rankings.

[ QUOTE ]
What about (insert non-Disney animated movie here)?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I'm only using the Disney movies (hence the title of the thread). I'm only using the ones that Disney classified as part of their *Masterpiece Collection* (which is why some are missing). Also, as stated, there were more than 32 movies, so some got left out. Some of the omissions were easy (Three Caballeros), some were more difficult (The Rescuers, left out of the Classics), and some were for aesthetic reasons (Black Cauldron: fell between Fox and the Hound, which was the end of the Classics, and Little Mermaid, which was the beginning of the Moderns; Rescuers Down Under: left off because Rescuers was left off). In any case, none of the excluded movies had a chance to win this thing anyway /images/graemlins/wink.gif

KDawgCometh
10-15-2005, 01:24 AM
I think the most interesting matchup is gonna be the alice in wonderland/101 dalmations. Both are great movies and both deserve to go into the next round. I like this poll, makes you remember how many great disney films there are

MEbenhoe
10-15-2005, 01:25 AM
if anything beats the jungle book you are all insane, that movie is brilliant.

webmonarch
10-15-2005, 01:25 AM
This is a very well thought ut poll. The only one I had to think about was Modern QTR 1. I went with Little Mermaid.

ALso, it is kind of scary that I have seen so many of these.

Clarkmeister
10-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Jungle Book wins.

pudley4
10-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Sorry, it seems the forum software f*!#!#$ up the poll. The matchups are still correct, they are just listed in the wrong order. Obviously Classic qtr 1 will face off against Classic qtr 2; 3 v 4, and so on.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 01:34 AM
I've got to agree. The Jungle Book is fantastic. It doesn't just win; it wins by a lot.

Argus
10-15-2005, 01:45 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I think the most interesting matchup is gonna be the alice in wonderland/101 dalmations. Both are great movies and both deserve to go into the next round. I like this poll, makes you remember how many great disney films there are

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly. That was the only comparison I had to think about. Both are great, but I gave the nod to Alice in Wonderland because I have a taste for the psychedelic. I couldn't fault anyone that voted the other way, and I'd love to see either advance.

diebitter
10-15-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The truth is roaring out at you here, people.

peachy
10-15-2005, 02:57 AM
god!!! u paired them soooooo hard!!!! to where my favs dont stand a chance!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

diebitter
10-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Spill the beans, Peach. What are your favourites?

zokbarjazz
10-15-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
god!!! u paired them soooooo hard!!!! to where my favs dont stand a chance!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
little mermaid and alladin /images/graemlins/frown.gif classics.

YourFoxyGrandma
10-15-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm assuming most people haven't seen The Emperor's New Groove, because it's [censored] hilarious. The Lion King has that nostalgia thing going for it, but I think TENG is the funniest Disney movie in recent times, if not ever.

xorbie
10-15-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming most people haven't seen The Emperor's New Groove, because it's [censored] hilarious. The Lion King has that nostalgia thing going for it, but I think TENG is the funniest Disney movie in recent times, if not ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. IMO, Lion King might be the best, but TENG is definitely the funniest. By a wide margin.

[censored]
10-15-2005, 03:20 AM
I hate to see The Fox and the Hound go out so early, it's my personal favorite.

diebitter
10-15-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That hasn't got a cenobite's chance in heaven against the mighty Jungle book though.

Tough draw.

CardSharpCook
10-15-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

amen.

Also, tough draw for robin hood, but it seems it has enought to beat out the original.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. IMO, Lion King might be the best, but TENG is definitely the funniest. By a wide margin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it's funnier than The Jungle Book. Everything King Louie does is gold. Baloo is funny too. Sheer Khan and the snake are both funny, and their scenes together are hilarious.

goofball
10-15-2005, 03:57 AM
yeah, the jungle book will take this. It's pretty cruel though, matching up robin hood and fantasia

J_V
10-15-2005, 03:58 AM
If Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, or Lion King won, I'd be happy.

Chairman Wood
10-15-2005, 04:03 AM
Little Mermaid vs. Aladdin was the only tough choice.

HoldingFolding
10-15-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
10-15-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Spill the beans, Peach. What are your favourites?

[/ QUOTE ]

almost all the ones that are paired are ones its rough for me to pick b/w id have to go look back at the original list and go back and forth to do that...thats ALOT of work

diebitter
10-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Fair enough.

There are some corkers that are paired.

What's your favourite then? Just trying to get an insight into Peachy.

Chris Daddy Cool
10-15-2005, 09:40 AM
aladin vs little mermaid is a ridiculously hard match up imo since i think both are in the top 4 or 5 to begin with. (i picked aladin).

i hope mulan beats Pocahontas because i don't think pocahontas is that good (for disney standards).

i hope the final match up is lion king vs aladin because those are my two favarorites.

peachy
10-15-2005, 09:42 AM
i had an apiphinay (sp?) and decided to open the thread in another window too....here are the ones that are hard for me to pick b/w:

snow white and dumbo
sleeping beauty and the sword and the stone
lion king and the emporers new groove
little mermaid and aladdin
jungle book and fox and the hound
bambi and peter pan

rest were easy no thought picks /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Escape
10-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Gotta love disney. Gotta love this post.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

peachy
10-15-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why these two were SOOOOOOOO hard for me!!

Lion King is classic to me but dude the Emperors New Groove is the funniest cartoon let alone disney movie that ive EVER seen...a friend encouraged me to watch it and it was halarious...david spade was a gem in it. Everyone ive made watch it loved it too!!

Vavavoom
10-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Little Mermaid vs Aladdin = BRUTAL !

peachy
10-15-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it's funnier than The Jungle Book. Everything King Louie does is gold. Baloo is funny too. Sheer Khan and the snake are both funny, and their scenes together are hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

amazingly it is MUCH funnier than Jungle Book and thats one of the 1st i can remember watching ever and one of mah favs - but the emp. new groove walks all over it

im actually gonna go pop this in while i work on midterms etc

diebitter
10-15-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

snow white and dumbo
bambi and peter pan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd agree with most of em. However, I'm curious - you, [censored] and CardSharp rate FatH as better than (or at least on a par with) the mighty Jungle Book - I've got this film (well, my kids have got this film), and I haven't actually watched it since being a kid, and remember not really enjoying it much.

I think, given these 3 opinions, it requires another viewing....

And, yeah, the Emperor's New Groove is by far the funniest. The guy with his own theme music cracks me up!

peachy
10-15-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

snow white and dumbo
bambi and peter pan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd agree with most of em. However, I'm curious - you, [censored] and CardSharp rate FatH as better than (or at least on a par with) the mighty Jungle Book - I've got this film (well, my kids have got this film), and I haven't actually watched it since being a kid, and remember not really enjoying it much.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can still hear the hound howling...i loved this movie as a kid...and it broke my heart when they werent allowed to be together anymore...i loved this movie to pieces

diebitter
10-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Hmmm, I might try and rewatch early in the week - I'll get back to you...

peachy
10-15-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

snow white and dumbo
bambi and peter pan

[/ QUOTE ]

And, yeah, the Emperor's New Groove is by far the funniest. The guy with his own theme music cracks me up!

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhahaha cronks character and david spade as the lama - u cant get any funnier...my fav part is when they are on the river and go:

Uh Oh, Let me Guess Huge Waterfall? - david spade
YUP - John Goodman
Sharp Rocks? - david spade
Most Likely - John Goodman
Bring It On!!!!!! - david spade

i about pee mahself everytime

that and:
I'll turn him into a flea! A harmless little flea! Then I'll put that flea in a box, then I'll put that box in another box, then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives...ahahahaha! I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER!

diebitter
10-15-2005, 10:01 AM
I have to say, thinking about it, I'm tempted to start a thread 'what would your theme music be', but I think it's been done

peachy
10-15-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to say, thinking about it, I'm tempted to start a thread 'what would your theme music be', but I think it's been done

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha r u talkin about when hes runnin out of the castle all mission impossible style??

diebitter
10-15-2005, 10:03 AM
yeah. But we've all done that, right?

peachy
10-15-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah. But we've all done that, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe im watchin the movie now...im gonna get NO work done

Clarkmeister
10-15-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lion King was great for the first 70%, but the rushed ending was an afterthought and really made it pale compared to some of these other gems.

gorie
10-15-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Little Mermaid vs Aladdin = BRUTAL !

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix1010
10-15-2005, 10:54 AM
I was going to be the fifth person to say that the Little Mermaid/Aladdin matchup is just ridiculously tough. I went with the seashells. Instead I'll be the fifth person to say that TENG is incredibly funny, like laugh out loud every minute funny, and if you haven't seen it you're missing out. Still...

[ QUOTE ]
The Lion King tramples all over the competition in every regard. The rest are playing for second

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
10-15-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to be the fifth person to say that the Little Mermaid/Aladdin matchup is just ridiculously tough. I went with the seashells. Instead I'll be the fifth person to say that TENG is incredibly funny, like laugh out loud every minute funny, and if you haven't seen it you're missing out. Still...

[ QUOTE ]
The Lion King tramples all over the competition in every regard. The rest are playing for second

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha i just got done watchin it AGAIN...and god i had forgotten half the funny stuff in it...this movie is beyond halarious on so many levels...

i love the NO TOUCHY and oooo theres a scary leaf!! and a scary tree!! lol and the squirrel with the ballon!! HAHAHAH

diebitter
10-15-2005, 01:14 PM
My theme tune has to be the main james bond theme-tune...

So, as I take out the trash - Na-NANANA-NAAAAA-Na-NaNa...

Blarg
10-15-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

amazingly it is MUCH funnier than Jungle Book and thats one of the 1st i can remember watching ever and one of mah favs - but the emp. new groove walks all over it

im actually gonna go pop this in while i work on midterms etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it is funnier, there's no way it could walk all over it in any other way. That movie is pretty much perfect. The songs are great, and the blending of songs into the movie is the best Disney ever did it. The characters are all great, the animation is great, the story is great, the voices can't be beat, and it's one of the rare ones even for Disney that is just as enjoyable for adults as kids.

Sykes
10-16-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Lion King and TENG many times and love them both, but if you want me to pick a better movie, it's Lion King far and away.

Like it's one of those things where I can say "and it's not even close" and be correct.

Whoever picked Brother Bear over Beauty and the Beast is on crack.

Plus where is toy story/monsters inc,.

Who is picking robin hood over fantasia?
Also, really unfair to pair Aladdin with Little mermaid =/

I dunno if this means anothing but I have 11/12 agreeing with majority. only picking fantasia over robin hood.

peachy
10-16-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Lion King and TENG many times and love them both, but if you want me to pick a better movie, it's Lion King far and away.

Like it's one of those things where I can say "and it's not even close" and be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

monsters inc i ADORE...its almost as funny as the emperors new groove...but that one and toy story if i recall correctly wasnt done by "disney"...to me it still is...but some consider that pixar stuff as another section/generation type stuff - its another company although joint with disney if u wanna call it that

Sykes
10-16-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

monsters inc i ADORE...its almost as funny as the emperors new groove...but that one and toy story if i recall correctly wasnt done by "disney"

[/ QUOTE ]

not totally by disney but disney sure whores out those movies. i've seen toy story dolls and monster inc dolls in disney stores, so to me, it's a disney movie.

Blarg
10-16-2005, 12:34 AM
I haven't been able to make myself watch Monsters Inc. yet. I can take very little Billy Crystal before wanting to go on a homicidal rampage. And even the commercial was incredibly cornballed up in the worst, most cravenly simpering Billy Crystal way.

peachy
10-16-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't been able to make myself watch Monsters Inc. yet. I can take very little Billy Crystal before wanting to go on a homicidal rampage. And even the commercial was incredibly cornballed up in the worst, most cravenly simpering Billy Crystal way.

[/ QUOTE ]

it really is cute!!!! he gets to me sometimes too but u dont even realize it in this movie!! u need to watch both that and emp. new groove!! uve missed out on 2 of the best disney movies in a humorous way!

Blarg
10-16-2005, 12:55 AM
I'll watch TENG to see if it's what it's cracked up to be, but it would have to hit me like the very Word of God or something to shake me off thinking Jungle Book was the funniest.

Monsters Inc. -- maybe someday. But I think it will take a good deal of counseling first to get over my Billy Crystal phobia.

peachy
10-16-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll watch TENG to see if it's what it's cracked up to be, but it would have to hit me like the very Word of God or something to shake me off thinking Jungle Book was the funniest.

Monsters Inc. -- maybe someday. But I think it will take a good deal of counseling first to get over my Billy Crystal phobia.

[/ QUOTE ]

see...people have hyped up the emp. new groove here...including me...so if u watch it try to be open minded and not expecting too much /images/graemlins/frown.gif I did this and totally loved it and still think its beyond halarious