PDA

View Full Version : Stupid movie thing I hate

BottlesOf
10-14-2005, 09:51 PM
I hate the following which often happens in movies.

Two people are having a disagreement, maybe one is holding the other prisoner, or one is robbing the other, or one is trying to get the other to do something they don't want to do. Anyway, the one person has a gun and is trying to use it to persuade the other person. The other person resists and refuses to comply, but then, the first person COCKS the gun. Uh-oh, now he must be serious, he cocked the gun. This is now an entirely different situation, and I will immediately back down. Lame.

Blarg
10-14-2005, 09:58 PM
This sounds like it was inspired by Roger Ebert's thing on his site where they've assembled a whole encyclopedia of these. It's a very fun read and fun subject though. Anyone who hasn't seen it on Ebert's site should check it out.

10-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Here's the one I hate:

Hero of the movie fights the bad guys for most of the movie sustaining many cuts, bruises and other assorted injuries that don't seem to affect him at all.

However, when he's with his love interest and she's cleaning him up and bandaging his wounds, he looks like he's in a lot of pain. Lot's of wincing.

BottlesOf
10-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Don't know of it. Link?

Klepton
10-14-2005, 10:01 PM
i'm ashamed to say this was on LOST last episode. very good observation.

BottlesOf
10-14-2005, 10:02 PM
It's everywhere.... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bigdaddydvo
10-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Actually firing a warning shot is much cooler than just cocking a gun.

witeknite
10-14-2005, 11:23 PM
I can't remember which ones, but I think there has been at least one movie that involved a pump action shotgun having a shell chambered as the "I'm serious" warning. This is especially retard as it says, "I couldn't have shot you a second ago."

WiteKnite

TimM
10-14-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually firing a warning shot to the kneecap is much cooler than just cocking a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
10-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Good point.

MelchyBeau
10-14-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Here's the one I hate:

Hero of the movie fights the bad guys for most of the movie sustaining many cuts, bruises and other assorted injuries that don't seem to affect him at all.

However, when he's with his love interest and she's cleaning him up and bandaging his wounds, he looks like he's in a lot of pain. Lot's of wincing.

[/ QUOTE ]

that could actually be adrenaline. It has been known that people are able to ignore pain while thier addreniline is pumping

Melch

jacki
10-14-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't know of it. Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebert movie glossary (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=GLOSSARY)

private joker
10-15-2005, 12:02 AM
I get annoyed by the cliche of the Cemetery Restraining Order (as I've termed it). It's like, whenever there's a funeral in a movie, the main character always comes, but stands like 100 ft. away from the gravesite and grieving relatives, usually near a tree so he can't be seen. At the same time he's usually either stalking the widow or feeling guilty. Or both.

Amid Cent
10-15-2005, 01:03 AM
When there's a movie you've never seen before with a really hot chick. You watch the entire damn movie just waiting for her to get nekkid - and she never does.

I want my two hours back!

Blarg
10-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Here's one I got from Ebert:

[ QUOTE ]
Chinese Chase Rule

In any Asian city, or any city with a Chinatown, all chase scenes happen to occur on Chinese New Year, and lead directly through a parade. NEIL MILSTED, Chicago (Published: 12/11/94)

[/ QUOTE ]

and another:

[ QUOTE ]
Cinematic Aphrodisiac Effect

The presence of a motion picture camera inspires some of the most beautiful women in the world to engage in passionate sex scenes with actors who they would reject in real life as unshaven, badly dressed losers with cigarette breath. (Published: 9/10/95)

[/ QUOTE ]

And a final one:

[ QUOTE ]
Chamber Music

Hollywood cops in low-budget movies always show their intentions to finally confront the villain by withdrawing their pistols and chambering a round. Since a cop is always supposed to be ready to fire his gun if needed, why do they carry them unchambered? Because it looks cool to do stick in a round. DAWSON RAMBO, Tucson, Ariz. (Published: 12/11/94)

[/ QUOTE ]
(sic) where apparent above; Ebert's site has a lot of what appear to be typing errors.

Reading through the whole list is great fun, and will bring up lots of movie memories.

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 02:44 AM
it's strictly for the movies, so many things are for the movies only OBVIOUSLY!