PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a big stack early in a rebuy

10-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I've got 7.5k in the Stars $3 rebuy after 5 hands. Should I be done taking chances now since I probably won't be able to get a bigger stack than this by taking peoples whole stacks. Aren't I more likely to just bust these down to nothing and have to start over? This is, of course, assuming I don't have a monster.

Thanks
Will

betgo
10-14-2005, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't gamble to gamble, but I wouldn't be afraid to take chances if I thought they were favorable. Just play solidly, adjusting for the fact that a lot of other people are not playing solidly. Forget using a big stack to play aggressively for the next 2 1/2 hours.

10-14-2005, 08:41 PM
This isn't a relatively big stack compared to what people amass, and no, you can easily keep building a bigger and bigger stack, in fact that is your goal, as you can often get your money in on big edges, and shouldn't ever be passing up on those.

Are you talking about knowingly getting your money in on hypothetical 50/50 situations? I mean obviously you want to avoid -EV spots either way, but I'll easily pass up on the even gamble as I'm presented with so many bigger edges during the first hour.

10-14-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm usually looking for a 20k stack and nothing less than a 12-15k stack before rebuys by the first break. Having 7.5k at the break and rebuying to 9.5k is going to put you around average. If you lose the 7.5k you should be able to double rebuy to 3k and still double to 6k before the break and have 8k with addon.

Personally I still look to improve my stack with 7.5k. I'm definetly looking for better spots than with 3k but I'm still willing to gamble for that big stack.

10-14-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm proud to say that with a sweet run of cards, up to 18k.

10-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Lol chipleader is 43K right now. Within a min of the start of the tourney someone was already at 10k. This tourney is crazy.

10-14-2005, 08:53 PM
no joke, i don't even make the top 30

10-15-2005, 09:41 AM
This is my new favorite tournament on stars - true rebuy madness at it's finest. 7.5k after the first five hands happens on a lot of tables. Take a peek at some of the other more active tables out there, like where your chipleaders are, and notice the stacks there.... 30k, 40k, 55k etc... there are still some tables that have solid TAG players but the players on these tables usually don't get big stacked by the break.

The stack builders are either dumping chips and making every effort to snatch them back or they're picking up chips from people willing to rebuy repeatedly. Solid poker is definitely not the norm during the first hour in these things and you'll see some really crazy pushes with some people willing to push literally any 2 cards. Knowing all-in hand values and how they matchup preflop will definitely help here.