PDA

View Full Version : How To Deal with Unethical Cold Calling Methods From Real Estate Agent

TomCollins
10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I got a business card on my house when I got home from work, with a "hand written" note on the back. It said "Would you consider selling your (scratched out h) property to a prospect of ours? If you would, call me @ (scratched out 775) xxx-xxxx. Ask for xxxx."

It looks pretty authentic as a hand written note, although closer examination made me believe it was printed on the card. Someone at work who grew up in the printing business also agrees that it is likely printed on the card. I'm not opposed to selling my house and moving into something smaller and closer to town, but selling a house and moving can be expensive and a hassle, so it would have to be worth my while.

This just seems like an unethical way of soliciting business. I have a feeling that when I call, the prospect will have dried up, but she will be willing to sell my home. Pretty sleazy if you ask me. So I think I'll have a little fun with this. I figure I call her back, and tell her I'm interested in selling, but ask for an absurdly high price.

But I suck at these ideas on how to screw with her head. Any ideas OOT?

Monty
10-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Get drunk and sell your house.

10-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Post their phone number on sleazy messageboards as "Lonely Coeds looking for <font color="red">HOT</font> 3-way action with strong male partners. Call Heather and Kit at xxx-xxx-xxxx anytime of day (collect calls from state prisons accepted)."

James Boston
10-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Yes this is probably a waste of your time. Is is unethical? No. She offered to sell your house to "a prospect." It doesn't say "client" or "ready buyer." They're basically asking if you're willing to sell your house if they'll find a buyer. They don't have a specific person in mind, so if you tell them you're willing to sell you house for an absurdly high price, I'm sure they'll list it for you.

I'm in sales, and cold-calling is just part of it. No one can sit back and wait on business to come to them. These people seem to be going about it the wrong way, but they're not doing anything wrong.

TomCollins
10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
The fake hand written part is what really pissed me off. She even has fake crossed out parts. This reminds me of the "cold callers" who read the obituaries and claim to be friends of deceased.

Also, I don't care if this wastes my time, I want to make sure I waste hers plenty.

James Boston
10-14-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fake hand written part is what really pissed me off. She even has fake crossed out parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It got you to read it though. I work clean. I tell people who I'm with, and what I want. The stuff these people are trying is a waste of THEIR time, and is more likely to piss people off (as it did with you) than to generate business. "Slick sales techniques" are -EV, and it's their bad for trying it. I still say they didn't act unethically.