PDA

View Full Version : Time to move up

mojobluesman
10-14-2005, 07:14 PM
I've been winning slightly north of 4BBs per 100 playing .50 - 1.00 at PP and UB for the last 10K hands.

My last adventure into $1-$2 was a losing experience, but I think I was running a little bad and I know I'm playing a little better now.

I would like to try moving up. I have the bankroll to support a move straight to 2-4. People keep saying that the rake structure at $1-$2 makes it very tough to win.

Any suggestions on which way to go?

MrWookie47
10-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I'd learn some 6 max before playing 2/4. Also, jumping straight to 4x the stakes will be shocking. Playing for twice the bucks is shocking enough already. I'd play some 1/2 just to easy into the change in dollar signs, even if you don't hang there forever.

mojobluesman
10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks.

I've been playing some $1-$2 at Pacific because it's even looser that $.50-$1.00 at PP and UB. I'm hoping that prepares me for the move up. If I do well at $1-$2 there, I'll try some $2-$4 there before trying $2-$4 at PP.

I'm actually more afraid of 6-max at any limit because I won't know how to handle facing so many more raises pre-flop. I'll know when I want to raise, but I won't know when I should call pre-flop raises that I would normally toss in a full ring game.

cold_cash
10-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I'd play some 6-max, even if it's at your old limit. I really think it will help. (And some of those situations you mentioned are ones you're going to need to be able to navigate eventually.)

Hang around in the HUSH forum some.

It's fun and if you're like a lot of other posters I know you might just get hooked. I would say 95% of my poker sessions have been shorthanded once I started.

10-14-2005, 08:48 PM
yeah 6max is much more fun.

POKhER
10-14-2005, 09:12 PM
if you beat .50/1 at UB (Rock fest) for 4BB/100 at 10K.... Your better than me thats for sure!

man i'm down 30BB, that place is a rock fest(Poker Share) - Site sucks and bonuses are hard to clear.

Move to 1/2 if your comfy, meanwhile read up and fix your leaks and find new ones to fix.
Good luck,
p.s. Am jelous if you can beat UB for 4BB! Any advice? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ChuckyB
10-14-2005, 09:25 PM
For about 4,000 hands I was up 6BB/100 at PP .50/1.00 6-max. At that point I had the bankroll and the desire to move up to 1/2 6-max.

It's easy money there, but you will run into slightly better players. If I were you, I'd go there before the jump all the way up to 2/4.

If you have the bankroll, don't be afraid to dabble at 2/4. For me, I believe I have the skill to play at 2/4, but there's a lot of easy money at 1/2 6-max. And the occasional guy cleans my clock. I want to give it at least a couple of months before going up.

jaxUp
10-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Sounds like you have a decent grasp of the game and are feeling confident. I recommend 4 or 5k hands of 1/2 6max (obviously more if you feel you need it), and then take shots at 2/4 when you can afford to. It's pretty safe and that way you'll get some 6max experience on the way.

ChuckyB
10-14-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...jumping straight to 4x the stakes will be shocking. Playing for twice the bucks is shocking enough already. I'd play some 1/2 just to easy into the change in dollar signs, even if you don't hang there forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so true. Being able to lose $24 by having AA cracked instead of just $12 takes a little getting used to. In the very beginning of my first day at 1/2 I was a little wary. But then you realize that's why you have a big bankroll relative to the stakes.