PDA

View Full Version : "hey can i get your screenname?"

tbach24
10-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I haven't yet said this. It seems so wrong. I have a number of friends at school, most of whom are day students (I'm a boarder) and I see most of the day from 8-4. The only time I'm really in my room is from 6-10 and most of that is spent doing homework (8-10 is mandatory homework). Yet it feels like I'm missing something. I don't have any of my "friends" (to tell the truth with 1 being acquantince and 10 being true friend, they're mostly in the 6-8 range) screen names or phone numbers. There's never really the oppurtunity for it. And it seems so odd.

With girls, since it's high school and I see most of them every day and have time to talk during the day I don't wanna be like "can i get your number?" because that would be direct hitting on them and possibly make girls that I'll see 5x+ days per week for the next 2 years feel awkward around me.

The whole AIM thing seems harmless yet I can't bring myself to do it. Also, I found out I'm pretty funny (I would've never thought so) but I don't think it's because what I say is funny, but my delivery is solid. I'm not sure. So I think a bit of my charm would be lost online, which is probably true for most things.

Yeah, so that's it basically. I'll probably be here for further questioning.

manpower
10-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Invite a few out to a movie, diner, bowling, or whatever else it is people are doing for fun. Phone numbers and screennames will ensue.

Malachii
10-14-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"can i get your number?" because that would be direct hitting on them

[/ QUOTE ]
And you certainly wouldn't want to do that, now would you?

Bradyams
10-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Is it wierd that I don't have a screen name? I hate instant messaging.

mason55
10-14-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess. You don't watch TV either?

scotty34
10-14-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you remember high school?

bravos1
10-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Just volunteer to take them to a cool party. Tell them you'll pick'em up at their house. You'll obviously need their # to inform them that you are coming to pick them up.

You'll end up with their phone #, house address, and a good BJ if your smooth about it!

tbach24
10-14-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I directly hit on them it might make things awkward. In the real world, where you might not see a person too much, or on a 5k person campus making things awkward with one girl is fine, but in a 500 person high school (high schools are cliquey remember) it wouldn't be good. I still do hit on girls, but I always make them feel comfortable when doing so. That's not really my problem.

I liked the whole "hang out with a few, get numbers/sn's later plan". Good thinking.

[censored]
10-14-2005, 07:25 PM
tbach

start with getting their email address. work on exchanging a few emails and establish a basic level of communication. once that is accomplished just drop in asking for their screen name. It should and will seem like the natural progression.

on another note, I don't think going the email/chat direction is the best method for starting something but if it is the route you take the above is how I would do it.

BobboFitos
10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
teddy, pull da trig nig

twankerr
10-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Phone number is the easiest to get. Ask what you are doing they are doing this weekend. No matter what they say, say you're doing xxxxx until yy:yy. Then say you'll call them when you are done, at which point you are simply amazed by the fact you don't have their numbers. Proceed to ask for number. Very simple, human interactions.

James282
10-14-2005, 07:31 PM
When I was in college, I was in a similar situation and feeling really gay because I normally have no problem at all asking a girl out etc..but she was a girl I knew from work and it was a similar thing, there was no way for us to NOT see eachother for the semester if things were weird. So I just made a joke out of asking her for her screen name. One funny thing is that pretty much everyone is embarassed to say their screen name. Casually make a joke about this sometime in a decent context.

"Ever notice how even the most confident people mutter their screen names when you ask them? Hey, what's your screen name? 'Uh..SkiTheSlopesFast112...' 'peanutbuttergirl, it's a long story...' Everyone is at least LITTLE embarassed about their screen name."

This was a really long time ago, so that's not exactly what I said, but it worked like a charm and we both laughed about how stupid our screen names were. She IM'd me later that week to ask what was going on that following weekend.
-James

tbach24
10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Okay here's a somewhat more specific example:

I'm talking to a girl I've just met and will see around campus quite a bit, but not really have much a chance to really talk to more than a "hey-hey" passing thing. We get along and all that stuff. I'm interested in her but I'm also interested in about 50 other girls so it's not that big a deal. When we're wrapping things up would it be alright just to be like "can I get your screen name?" even just thinking about it just seems weird.

Consider these variables:
1. She's in a lesser grade
2. She's in a higher grade (much more important than age in hs)
3. She's in a couple classes with you
4. You've already talked to her a lot (ie gotten to know her)

I don't paticularly want to really ask any of these girls on a 1-on-1 sorta thing (yet).

tbach24
10-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Good stuff. Twankerr's plan too.

peachy
10-14-2005, 09:10 PM
if a guy asked me for this...i wouldnt answer him and just walk off...no matter what he looked like

Bradyams
10-14-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess. You don't watch TV either?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't, but that's mainly because we decided to not get cable TV.