PDA

View Full Version : Would you call an all in with worst possable hand?

10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Well the worst possible hand at the moment anyways.
.25/.50 Party NL
UTG stack = 70
Hero stack= 50
Hero on the CO (2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif,4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif)
Pre-Flop
UTG limps, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks
Flop [A /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
Pot = 1.75
UTG bets 2, Hero Raise 6, blinds fold, UTG all-in

I really trapped myself here. Best case I have a coin-flip. Worst case UTG has a bigger flush draw or a set. I just sat down and have no read on my opponent. I have a little bit of pot equity to justify a call but without a read I cannot be certain he does not have a bigger flush draw or a set and the time he doesn't have either of those hands I am a slight dog so I felt I could not justify the call with only $9 in the pot. However if I had a good read on him or the pot were larger this might be different.

My thoughts on the flop raise are as follows;
1. If my opponent is stealing I could win the pot right there.
2. If he has an ace I can get a free card on the turn, most of my opponents seem to stop betting without the nuts if someone plays back at them even with a drawing board.
3. If I hit 3 outs to straight he will never see it coming.
4. If I hit the 8 outs to the flush he will be more committed to paying off my 1/2 pot turn and river bets.
5. 1 out to Straight flush ....Please dealer throw me a /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the river /images/graemlins/wink.gif
6. He has Ax AA KQ hearts etc and he pushes back /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

As I see it the big question is not weather I call his all in but if I am thinking along the correct lines with my flop raise. The decision to call the all-in just makes for an eye catching subject header although given specific reads it does present an interesting situation.

I am also sure many will argue that the call pre-flop is not correct however with my style of aggressively stealing pots I do show a profit with these types of hands with position and so I remain unconvinced that this is a mistake. At most I feel it is a small one but my stats( albeit small sample size) so far show otherwise..

I am a very new to No-limit and have < 20,000 hands of play, so please constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thanks,
TF

slydeni
10-14-2005, 06:37 PM
fold this pre flop... not a very good starting hand.

kurto
10-14-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry but this hand should read...

dealt 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

thought to myself... ugg, what trash. Fold.

See how much easier that is when you play the hand correctly?

Since you went ahead and played it...
On the flop... there is not a single hand you are drawing to that is the nuts. When the action goes to you, you say... "Why did I play this trash again? Do I hate money?" and now you fold.

Since you didn't fold and raised, and he's reraised all in, you're still an underdog to anything except a bluff. Fold.

[ QUOTE ]
I am also sure many will argue that the call pre-flop is not correct however with my style of aggressively stealing pots I do show a profit with these types of hands with position and so I remain unconvinced that this is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the proper way to steal pots is to limp with junk then reraise someone who's shown an interest. Frankly, if you're just stealing, it doesn't really matter what your cards are and you might as well just say, "I'm in late position, a bunch of people limp. I limp with 2 cards. Someone bets, I reraise to try to steal. I have some real weak draws but its not much to mention. What do you think?"

10-14-2005, 06:48 PM
That is fine and i understand your posistion on not playing this hand pre-flop. But that is not really the question I have with this hand. I am really looking for input on the post-flop play and what I feel is an interesting situation.

afreeman
10-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Without reads, all you can do is consider the odds that are being offered.

You have between 3 and 12 outs with a hand that only might beat a bluff at this point. You have no implied odds, since villain is all-in. Even 12 outs require 1.2:1 to call, and I doubt that more than half your outs are good.

Seems like an easy fold.

elus2
10-14-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the flop... there is not a single hand you are drawing to that is the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 out to the straight frush /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Instacall. You have a straight flush draw. Just make sure you hit the 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif on either the turn or river, preferably the river though because that will be more painful to the villain and it will put him on massive tilt when you suck out. While villain is in a fragile and irrational state of mind /images/graemlins/confused.gif, he will play badly and you can take his money easier. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stu-unger
10-14-2005, 10:30 PM
i think u should call this right after u put your whole bankroll on the side bet.

ps make sure u bet red, red always wins...

seriously u r not getting the odds to call off your stack and u r likely not drawing to half as many clean outs as u think.

10-14-2005, 10:58 PM
I am really not concerned that he has 64utg. I like 4 of my outs and I am ok with the remaing 8 outs.

Lets just say that I agree the pre-flop play is questionable although by playing them selectivly when I can get in a pot cheaply I show a profit with them. Not saying I am right just that if it is a mistake it is a small one and the flop play is 10x more important.

I agree it is a clear fold but It did make me wonder under a slightly diferent situation when I might be calling with this hand. A larger pot. Would anyone ever consider calling with this and if so what would you need to have in the pot?

I realise most of you would never put yourself in this situation, be that as it may. Here it is and you are faced with a $2 bet and a nothing pot.
Do you really fold in this spot just b/c you are not drawing to the nuts?
Does anyone call here?
Would anyone raise?

Having just sat down I do not know this guy but I do have a good feel for the typical opponent. This guy turned out to be a not so typical opponent, he busted out in less than 30 hands.

10-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Your opponent most likely limped with Ace-Face or 77 UTG, so of course, your only outs are runner-runner two pair/trips (If you don't face the set of course) or catching 3 5's and 9 hearts. 12/47 cards. 4-1 dog with two cards to come.

Personally, I don't mind playing 24o/s once in a while, and I like the $6 raise on the flop. After he shoves though, personally, I don't call my whole stack on a gamble like that. Im done with the hand.

afreeman
10-14-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone ever consider calling with this and if so what would you need to have in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure you probably have about 8 outs, roughly. So, I'd call when getting 2:1 or better.