PDA

View Full Version : Getting Flu Shot?

RacersEdge
10-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Getting a flu shot if you're not an old lady or an infant is just stupid. The flu's not going to kill you if you're a healthy young man and you're probably not even going to get it anyway. If you get the shot, it basically gives you an annoying cold for however long and it still might not even block the strain of flu that you'd catch anyway.

Los Feliz Slim
10-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I have never gotten one and don't plan to, but the pediatrician convinced us to have our 7-month-old get one, and she got it today. Supposed to get another one in a month as well.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you get the shot, it basically gives you an annoying cold for however long

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never gotten a cold from a flu shot. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

wayabvpar
10-14-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting a flu shot if you're not an old lady or an infant is just stupid. The flu's not going to kill you if you're a healthy young man and you're probably not even going to get it anyway. If you get the shot, it basically gives you an annoying cold for however long and it still might not even block the strain of flu that you'd catch anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone who has never had the actual flu (influenza). It is [censored] miserable, and will put you flat on your back for a week at least. I would rather not burn all my time off from work laying on the couch praying that someone will break into the house and shoot me.

mason55
10-14-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus you're just helping to create new super-strains of influenza.

dizong
10-14-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't get the flu or a cold from a flu shot

dizong

icepick
10-14-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting a flu shot if you're not an old lady or an infant is just stupid. The flu's not going to kill you if you're a healthy young man and you're probably not even going to get it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some healthy young men died within 24 hours of catching the 1918 flu.

Thythe
10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
We're just setting ourselves up for some hellish strain of super flu that defies all vaccines and remedies. It's going to happen eventually.

Matt Flynn
10-15-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We're just setting ourselves up for some hellish strain of super flu that defies all vaccines and remedies. It's going to happen eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Vaccination does not select for superflu bugs. Less replicating flu virus => fewer mutations => vaccination reduces chances of superflu.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone who has never had the actual flu (influenza). It is [censored] miserable, and will put you flat on your back for a week at least. I would rather not burn all my time off from work laying on the couch praying that someone will break into the house and shoot me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight -- you seriously think he's never gotten the flu?

Blarg
10-15-2005, 02:01 AM
A guy I knew in high school wound up in a wheelchair because of a flu shot.

I'll just take the flu.

Matt Flynn
10-15-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of young people died in each of the three flu pandemics that have occurred in the past century. Flu can definitely kill you. However, you are correct in that your failure to get a flu vaccine primarily puts others at risk more than you.

In a pandemic, a large percentage of the population will get the flu.

The shot does not cause flu. It does not contain live virus. The nasal spray contains live attenuated virus. No one with full knowledge of the situation and an intact conscience would fail to vaccinate if they had a child under 6 months or a pregnant mom.

The flu shot only blocks a few strains of flu and won't always be effective but is an extremely important defense.

A bad flu pandemic is very likely in your lifetime. It will kill 50,000 to 300,000 Americans. It will overwhelm the health care system.

Matt Flynn
10-15-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never gotten one and don't plan to, but the pediatrician convinced us to have our 7-month-old get one, and she got it today. Supposed to get another one in a month as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. Save time and don't argue next year. Unlike most government decisions, vaccine decisions are made by epidemiologists. It's just math. Sklansky would most definitely approve.

Matt Flynn
10-15-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

Matt Flynn
10-15-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll just take the flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or did he just get the flu despite the shot? Was serotyping done to prove that assertion or is it just family lore?

Also, just because the gutshot straight flush draw gets there on the river doesn't mean you shouldn't go all in on the turn with quads. Flu vaccine is just playing the odds. Simple math.

MrMon
10-15-2005, 02:33 AM
If you want to know how bad flu is and will be, read this:

The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0143034480/qid=1129357258/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-5771894-2288651?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

When the next plague hits, it's going to be beyond bad. Uncontained, they're talking 150 million dead worldwide, 1 to 1.5 million in the U.S. alone. OOTers are in the group that will be hit the hardest, so pay attention to the story.

Why OOTers? Apparently those with the strongest immune systems, those 18-35, are most vulnerable to new flu strains. Their immune system reacts so violently to the virus, you literally drown in the fluid in your lungs from fighting the infection. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Quite frankly, this is one of the few potential disasters that scares me. It can not be understated how bad this will be. It's just a matter of time.

Blarg
10-15-2005, 02:35 AM
It's just what I said it was. He did not get the flu. The shot crippled him.

Xelent
10-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Any kind of vaccination has the potential for bad side effects. It does not mean the majority of people who get a vaccination shot will become ill or have an even more serious side effect. It is a very small percentage and most of the people who do react poorly to it only get mildy sick for a short period of time.

The flu shot has nothing to do with the avian flu because it is not meant to fight against the H5N1 proteins. It is just against influenza that we have had before in the human population. It protects against the most common types that we see from year to year and it is a good idea to get a vaccination.

However, there is usually a short supply of vaccine compared to the demand. So if you are a healthy young adult that does not NEED to be healthy all winter, I reccommend not getting one. People such as doctors or people at higher risk such as dorm room students have more of a reason to get the vaccine.

JinX11
10-15-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm....all of you guys are aware of this bird flu thing that is oh, I don't know, in the news every single night, right? Maybe you've heard of it once or twice?? Judging by the posts, maybe not....

Anyways, the 1918 flu was a bird flu and it killed lots of people. Lots of non-old ladies and non-infants. I played cards with a person who works at the CDC here in Atlanta; they are worried. According to her, this thing has demonstrated a 50% mortality rate. And, in her words, "we're due for a pandemic".

CD56
10-15-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, you don't get the flu from the flu shot

CD56
10-15-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also wrong, it doesn't work like that with the flu vaccine

CD56
10-15-2005, 11:01 AM
One of the big problems with the general public regarding their perception of the flu is that a lot of people attibute any illness to being the "flu", which is simply not the case. People anecdotaly call viral URIs, sinus infections, colds, and any other minor sickness which the body clears in 3 or 4 days the "flu". They are then surprised when they hear that people have died from what to them was only a runny nose and a sore throat. They're not the same thing. It's just that the word "flu" has become a colloquialism for a whole gamut of very minor disease processes.

Cubswin
10-15-2005, 11:19 AM
They're not the same thing. It's just that the word "flu" has become a colloquialism for a whole gamut of very minor disease processes.

Very very true. I got the flu last year after avoiding it for many years. Damn, did it kick my as. 104 temp, body aches, dry cough.... i was miserable for a good 10 days. I now find it very commical now when i hear people say they have the flu and are back to work in like 2 days. That is what we call a cold... not the flu

cubs

d10
10-15-2005, 09:07 PM
There should be an option for "Yes but only because I don't have a choice."

tek
10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
I distrust vaccinations and will not get any. It's not because the vaccination may or may not create the same problems it is supposed to prevent. Instead, it's because I believe the Aids virus was introduced in Hepatitus shots.

origin of aids (http://www.originofaids.com/articles/early.htm)

another article (http://www.sonic.net/sentinel/gvcon1.html)

Godfather80
10-15-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to know how bad flu is and will be, read this:

The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0143034480/qid=1129357258/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-5771894-2288651?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

When the next plague hits, it's going to be beyond bad. Uncontained, they're talking 150 million dead worldwide, 1 to 1.5 million in the U.S. alone. OOTers are in the group that will be hit the hardest, so pay attention to the story.

Why OOTers? Apparently those with the strongest immune systems, those 18-35, are most vulnerable to new flu strains. Their immune system reacts so violently to the virus, you literally drown in the fluid in your lungs from fighting the infection. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Quite frankly, this is one of the few potential disasters that scares me. It can not be understated how bad this will be. It's just a matter of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will getting a flu shot protect anybody from this "potential disaster"? If not, why bother worrying? If we're all going down, then we're all going down.

For a cheery view of this distinct possibility, check out The Stand by Stephen King.

dizong
10-15-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll just take the flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're confusing flu shot with bullet shot

dizong

MrX
10-15-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you aren't.

dizong
10-15-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I distrust vaccinations and will not get any. It's not because the vaccination may or may not create the same problems it is supposed to prevent. Instead, it's because I believe the Aids virus was introduced in Hepatitus shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee I thought AIDS was from some bored folk boning monkeys.

It's amazing how people can ignore the results of legitimate science and documented efficacy and listen to the few nutcases who have their own theories for which there is no evidence.

It's thoughts like that that keeps measles, etc. lingering as a public health issue.

dizong

STLantny
10-15-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dizong

[/ QUOTE ]

taken from the cdc website
it doenst cause the flu but side effects include

children, side effects from LAIV can include

runny nose
headache
vomiting
muscle aches
fever
In adults, side effects from LAIV can include:

runny nose
headache
sore throat
cough

seems like a cold/flu to me

Xelent
10-15-2005, 10:25 PM
just because it's possible to have those side effects does not make it likely. It is just like any other medicene. Every person has a unique system that can reject or accept certain medicenes.

vulturesrow
10-15-2005, 10:45 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
just because it's possible to have those side effects does not make it likely. It is just like any other medicene. Every person has a unique system that can reject or accept certain medicenes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I had any trouble with the flu shot is when I got one while I was already under the weather. Put me on my ass for 3 days. I barely got out of bed for those 3 days.

dizong
10-15-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dizong

[/ QUOTE ]

taken from the cdc website
it doenst cause the flu but side effects include

children, side effects from LAIV can include

runny nose
headache
vomiting
muscle aches
fever
In adults, side effects from LAIV can include:

runny nose
headache
sore throat
cough

seems like a cold/flu to me

[/ QUOTE ]

but it's not because those symptoms are not being caused by a viral infection

CD56
10-16-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perhaps the most idiotic thing I've read in this thread, and thats really saying something.

Vaccinations are the single most cost effective and life saving medical interventions in the world's history. It's a big statement, but it's true.

How many people do you know who have died from Polio, Pertussis, Diptheria, or Tetanus? If you lived in the era prior to vaccines you would know plenty.

There is something called "herd immunity" in which because everyone around you has been vaccinated and will not get disease X, you can probably slide by without being vaccinated against disease X due to the low likelihood that you will encounter someone with the disease. This phenomenon has led to the public discounting the importance of vaccines. It has also led to plenty of quacks pushing anti-vaccine BS on a public that doesn't know any better.

Go down to your local old folks home and talk to a 90 year old about what it was like in the 30s and 40s prior to the polio vaccine. Prior to Salk et al. going in a public swimming pool was literally taking your life in your hands.

also, give this a look:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/13/AR2005101301733.html

tek
10-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Mayber you are right and maybe you are wrong. But unless you can persuade your senator or rep to pass a law making vaccinations mandatory, then I and many others will choose not to get them.

People like you can't mandate everything and I think this issue fits that assertion.

tonypaladino
10-16-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Gee I thought AIDS was from some bored folk boning monkeys.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are researchers starting to claim that aids is not sexually transmitted. Soon there will be a huge scandal in the medical community when this is proven.