PDA

View Full Version : The Solid White Line...

10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Let me know if anyone is with me here...

In my state (and I assume most if not all US states), it is "illegal" to cross a solid white line on the highway. Everyone follow? Sure ya do.

So coming home from work there is always this entrance ramp I get on (to the right lane of the highway), which has a solid white line all the way to the "end" of the ramp, for at least 12 car-lengths). Each day, the highway is slow right there, and it never fails that some idiot in front of me tries to get over WELL before the end of the ramp, and thus crossing the line to do so, slowing me, and everyone behind me down.

WHY!? It should be noted that there is NO LEFT EXIT FOR AT LEAST 4 MILES, so there is no need for anyone to rush to the left side.

I ALWAYS try to drive to the end of the on-ramp (because it both: puts me ahead of about 10 slow-moving highway cars, AND is the only "legal" way to enter the highway)

When I do this though, people on far right-hand lane of the highway always notice that I'm "getting ahead of the highway traffic", and try to c*ck-block me when I try to enter their lane, as if I'm "cheating".

I always yell in my head "ITS ILLEGAL TO CROSS THE SOLID WHITE LINE HO!!" lol.

So, basically, I get punished for being one of the few people that understands the legal way to drive, and also understands that it benefits me to follow the rules in these instances.

Does anyone else ever come across this situation? Does it bother you as much?

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-14-2005, 04:04 PM
You live in TX, don't you? So you've got a shotgun handy, right?

10-14-2005, 04:05 PM
lol. No, I don't own guns. Well, I have arms, but not "guns that fire".

daryn
10-14-2005, 04:09 PM
yeah, it bugs me. you're not supposed to cross the white line.

10-14-2005, 04:25 PM
But I mean, do people try to block you from entering because they think you cheated?

That is what really bugs me. They are ignorant. Plus the shmucks ahead of you getting on the ramp who slow to a stop and put their blinker on b/c they don't want to "butt in line", when there is 120 feet of on-ramp still to go, blocked off by the solid white line.

UGGGGG.

daryn
10-14-2005, 04:30 PM
i dunno man, i usually have the gas floored when i'm getting on the highway if there's no traffic in the right lane

10-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Anyone who's driven in Houston more than 11.87735 hours should have noticed that:

98.27491% of the drivers in Houston should have their nuts kicked! If they don't have nuts, use your imagination.

10-14-2005, 04:40 PM
lol. That's not the point. The point is when it's very slow-moving in the right lane, and staying on the on-ramp till the end gains you about 10 car-lengths.

10-14-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who's driven in Houston more than 11.87735 hours should have noticed that:

98.27491% of the drivers in Houston should have their nuts kicked! If they don't have nuts, use your imagination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. This has to be the city with the most horrible drivers in the US. I think it's mainly immigrants and stuff, who cause most of the headache. I swear I pass people all the time that you can tell are not from here (The US), and they drive HORRIBLY.

Plus all the fat chicks talking on cell phones in the left lane doing 50.

Bump-en-Stein
10-14-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol. That's not the point. The point is when it's very slow-moving in the right lane, and staying on the on-ramp till the end gains you about 10 car-lengths.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole world is fvcked. So, why do you expect people to understand about the white line?

stabn
10-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Here in seattle there are a couple of places where you are dumped into the left lane on a freeway. The one that causes me the most touble is 520 > I-5 south when i want to take the first exit. Getting across six lanes of traffic can be a huge pain in the ass and in this case crossing the white line and starting early makes it a lot easier.

In your case though i'm all for spaying and neutering the drivers involved.

10-14-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, some words of sympathy!

edfurlong
10-14-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here in seattle there are a couple of places where you are dumped into the left lane on a freeway. The one that causes me the most touble is 520 > I-5 south when i want to take the first exit. Getting across six lanes of traffic can be a huge pain in the ass and in this case crossing the white line and starting early makes it a lot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have to do this every day to get to work.

I no longer fear death.

stabn
10-14-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have to do this every day to get to work.

I no longer fear death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once or twice a month when i get off my ass and go to downtonw is bad enough. Every day sounds like hell.