PDA

View Full Version : Party versus Stars SNG structure

SomethingClever
10-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Let me preface by saying that I don't really play SNGs or tourneys much.

However, I have played enough tournaments to know that essentially the slower the blinds go up, the more skill is involved. The smaller your stack in relation to the blinds, the more luck is involved.

So, Party gave me a free $100 the other day (with a 1500 raked hand cashout requirement that I didn't feel like clearing) and I played a $50+5.

The blinds seemed to go up *extremely* quickly. This is compared to Stars, where I've occasionally played in a $5+.50.

So, is there just a sick amount of variance in these things or what? I actually got 3rd, but I feel like it was all luck. I played about 5 hands, and it could have been anyone's game.

I read the FAQ; just interested in some thoughts from you guys who play like 4 or 8 of these at once.

Runner Runner
10-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Yes, there is more luck involved due to the stacks not being as deep and the tourneys going quicker. However, you can earn so much more per hour playing at Party even if your ROI would be higher at a different site. Shorter tournies means you play more per hour, which is great if you can stand the swings.

Indiana
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Party is just a preflop game. You can't develop your game there like over at stars and the players are weaker. That's not my interest when it comes to poker. Yes, just like the next guy I do like $$$, but I think long term.

Indy

Freudian
10-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Pokerstars turbo is more about luck than Partys SnGs. Pokerstars reguular SnGs will give you much more bang for your bucks, but many of us like a quickie.

The Yugoslavian
10-14-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party is just a preflop game. You can't develop your game there like over at stars and the players are weaker. That's not my interest when it comes to poker. Yes, just like the next guy I do like $$$, but I think long term.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you on all accounts, /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Postflop - talk to Unarmed...he learned postflop just on party.

Strength of play - meh....Stars is different...not better.

Yugoslav

runner4life7
10-14-2005, 04:12 PM
There is a different skill in party and its often referred to as being a "pushbot" There is lots of math (ICM calculations) and when pushes are +EV and -EV based on position, stack size, cards and calling ranges. A lot of players dont know this too well even at the 50s. You probably know all this with your numerous posts but because of your amazingly hot avatar I wanted to post.

SomethingClever
10-14-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a different skill in party and its often referred to as being a "pushbot"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was sensing; just wanted to confirm/deny it in this forum.

Also, my avatar says thanks....

pokerlaw
10-14-2005, 04:29 PM
awesome avatar. she is one FINE newslady

Iamafish
10-14-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstars turbo is more about luck than Partys SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

Freudian
10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstars turbo is more about luck than Partys SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience with turbos is anything but extensive but I got the feeling that I got to the stage where I have push (and perhaps more important) and where I have to call faster in the turbos. Also since the stacks are so deep in the turbos it seemed rarer that people go all-in in level 1 compared to Party because it would have to be a serious overbet and call to get there.

And when ITM it turns into a crapshoot with gigantic blinds. Compared to Party I found that there was even less room to be patient or to have any kind of strategy while ITM.

I didn't say that I thought turbos couldn't be played for a profit. Because of the hugeness of the blinds, if you get players to fold where they really shouldn't (which happens pretty often) you gain huge chunks of EV.

JudoGirl
10-14-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstars turbo is more about luck than Partys SnGs. Pokerstars reguular SnGs will give you much more bang for your bucks, but many of us like a quickie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh??? Even pokerstars turbo are slower than Party's 11-33. So how can they be more luck-ish than Party's???

Iamafish
10-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Huh?

Stars you're ITM with maybe 3k and 200/400 blinds.

And party you'll be ITM with 1k and 150/300 blinds.

Which one has less strategy ITM....party.

Freudian
10-14-2005, 04:48 PM
I didn't play a huge amount of them but pretty much every single one I made it to the top 3 the blinds were 400/800. Perhaps it was due to the supposed tightness of them lately.

I felt there were more situations where people had to push and someone else had to call. And relying on showdown poker makes you rely more on luck.

One factor is that after ~5k SnGs on Party my brain is so used to everything there that I have blind spots. Another is , like I mentioned, my sample at Pokerstars might be unrepresentative for the turbos in general.

Cactus Jack
10-14-2005, 05:09 PM
For about a month I've been trying to get this across, but met with a lot of resistance. I thought that with the recent changes, it would come up even more, but still, major resistance to any kind of change.

Guys who have learned to play the Party pushbot game are very successful doing it. Could they move to a different site with the same success? Very debatable. No doubt many could, but I have my doubts whether it would be many. Just not the same game at all.

I play FT, PS and Party, switching between all three sites depending on many factors. My game is improved by having to learn different styles. My post-flop play is sharpened with deeper stacks, my mind is clearer playing the turbos, and the fishing is fine at all three.

It is a different game played with the same cards and rules. As one honest man put it, I'm not leaving Party because that's the game I know and I'm not going to change.

I maintain that learning how to beat the Party SNGs might be extremely profitable, but long-term it's stifling.

My dos unasked-for centavos.

CJ

Freudian
10-14-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I maintain that learning how to beat the Party SNGs might be extremely profitable, but long-term it's stifling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most who play enough of them learn to see patterns, opportunities and plays that have nothing to do with preflop play.

I do think it is healthy to mix things up by playing cashgames or for example omaha. Not only does it force your brain to look at problems from a slightly different angle it also should prevent fatigue to a certain extent.

Big Limpin'
10-14-2005, 05:17 PM
http://fresh99.com/images/frenchnewsanchor/M-Theuriau-0137.jpg

Ok, i just got off the phone with Ms. Theuriau. Conversation went something like:

Her: Allo? Allo?
Me: Hey sexy!
Her: Big Limpin'! i've sure missed you and your big Canadian member
Me: Yeah...you know it.
Her: Whne can you make your next booty call in Paris? I'm all wet over here.
Me: Damn girl...those private jets dont come cheap...i'll have to play some more SnGs first to afford it.
Her: C"mon pleeeeaaazzzzeee!!/1?!
Me: ok ok ok...hows next week for you?
Her: (all excited now) Oh boy! Say, is it ok if i invite some of my girlfriends over? We can have a lingerie pillowfight, drink tequila, and eat foie gras.
Me: Cool. I love foie gras. Hey...not fatties, ok?
Me: Look, i have a question for you...some guy on a poker forum is asking about the difference between Party and Stars SnG structure...whats your take on that Melissa?
Her: Oh for sure the Party games are soft and all...and PS has a rep for better players...but i dont buy that...Its probably more player dependant.
Me: elaborate...
Her: Well, its more about timed blinds versus 10 hands...you have more hands in the "red zone" on stars...and especially heads up...you skill can show through there playa!
Me: Word. What about $/hr?
Her: The consensus is party is higher....but i think its negligable (if your palying style is condusive to the PS format)
Me: Yeah, i'm saying!
Her: Plus, that Lee Jones is such a hottie
Me: %^$*($$^!?!?!?!?WTF??? Biatch, you're making my penis soft.
Her: I'm just saying...
Me: Girl, your lucky you are so freakin gorgeous...i'd dump you at the drop of a hat otherwise.
Her: Actually, YOU are lucky im so hot.
Me: Thats true. Limpin' out.

***<font color="white"> partially fabricated. truth is, i hate foie gras </font> ***

Onaflag
10-14-2005, 05:25 PM
nh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Onaflag..........

A_Junglen
10-14-2005, 05:37 PM
You've got far too much time on your hands.

SomethingClever
10-14-2005, 05:38 PM
She looks a little overly tanned in that shot, and it's not my favorite pic, but DAMN.