PDA

View Full Version : G.W.B.=P.O.S.

02-25-2002, 05:32 AM
I'm really starting to hate the man, our prez. First he bags the Kyoto treaty and now he wants to push some crock of @#)%! plan on us. His proposal is to reduce greenhouse gas emmisions relative to the size of our economy. What a joke! Our economy is growing, albeit slowly, so our emission of greenhouse gases can also grow under his proposal. That's some kickass plan! Instead of reducing the levels to pre 1990 levels, we're going to do our part by merely not increasing it as fast as we'd like to. Screw the rest of the world. Why should we have to abide by treaties we've signed? If I wasn't an American citizen, I'd hate us too. We're like the single occupant vehicle that insists on driving in the car pool lane because our time is so much more important than everybody else's. A bunch of selfish assholes, that's what we are. Good God I hope he doesn't get re-elected.

02-25-2002, 06:43 AM
Actually car pool lanes are a pet peeve of mine. Years ago I use when I lived in LA I would see the empty carpool lanes on the freeways while the other lanes would be totally backed up with stopped cars. Of course, cars not moving pollute more than moving vehicles.

By the way, don't blame pollution on me, I own and drive a hybrid that is a super low emission vehicle.

02-25-2002, 08:51 AM
i just wish people like you all would hold saddam and bin laden to the same environmental standards you hold a gr8 president who has to compromise to keep the economy going instead of irresposibly catering to wild-eyed environmentalist terrorists....gl...i wonder what the pollution was from intentionally starting kuwait oilfields on fire and ramming wtc...gl

02-25-2002, 09:54 AM
The President represents special interest groups. This is nothing new in American politics.

Republican Rep. Dan Burton of Clinton hating fame has stated publicly that the President is acting like a king or dictator in his relations with Congress.

Nevertheless, the American democracy is still the best thing going on planet Earth. The pendulum will swing back to the middle with time.

I don't think it's constructive to lable him a P.O.S.

02-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Kyoto treaty was a crock. Its good we're out of it. That treaty was designed to handicap our economy and help the third world and China. I am not willing to sacrifice our economy so other people can pollute a lot more than we do.

And our time is more important than everybody else's. At least I want my government to assume that. :-)

02-25-2002, 10:56 AM
Alger must truly hate himself.

02-25-2002, 12:52 PM
"Kyoto treaty was a crock. Its good we're out of it. That treaty was designed to handicap our economy and help the third world and China. I am not willing to sacrifice our economy so other people can pollute a lot more than we do."

WHAT?!!! No other country even comes close to to polluting as much as we do. And the economy--George is looking to put Reaganomics to shame. At the end of his reign, I'm expecting that the economy and the environment to be in sad shape. Of course the top 1% will have made out like bandits, as usual. No Sir, I don't trust him one bit. But then, I'm just starting to get a grasp on the backasswards reasoning that this administration subscribes to.

02-25-2002, 01:30 PM
from what i understand, these types of treaties do the following:

1) measure pollution of industrial nations.

2) tax industrial nations (US, europe) and transfer that wealth to 3rd world (and russia china)

note that nothing is really done about pollution. (bunch of bs about buying pollution credits, etc.)

also heard that the city of chicago is currently paying some similiar sort of world pollution tax.

do internet search on tobin tax for something similiar. (tobin, toben, something like that. everytime currencies are exchanged there would be a tax.)

also note that if youre old enough to remember, air quality today is much better than, say, 1970s.

brad

02-25-2002, 01:50 PM
I'd kinda like to see some of the book profit go to a big Benz or Caddy instead. :-)

02-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Do yourself a favor. Move out of America. You hate it's institutions, and you are a threat to peaceful, law abiding, tax paying citizens. It's only a matter of time before the authorities move against you.

02-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Yes...and the entire former USSR was one great big environmental disaster, so to speak...they literally trashed just about everything (in environmental terms).

02-25-2002, 03:58 PM
To expect the same of Saddam Hussein as you do from the richest most powerful country in the world is like expecting the same from a well-to-do Harvard grad as you do from a poor ex convict high school dropout. Holding GWB to the same standards as Saddam is absolutely ludicrious.

02-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Greenhouse gases DO need to be reduced but I don't think the Kyoto treaty is the way to go.

02-25-2002, 04:08 PM
It is also ridiculous seeing the endless idling traffic jams leading up to the toll booths in NYC and some other Eastern cities. Raze the damn booths and add 1/4 cent or whatever to the state gas tax (the argument that not everyone uses these roads but would still be paying is true, but that just happens with lots of other taxes too, like school taxes).

02-25-2002, 06:05 PM

02-25-2002, 06:20 PM
O.K. Maybe P.O.S. is a bit over the line. I find the current policies that Bush is espousing to be short sighted and damaging for the long term. I am lucky to be able to dissent without fear of reprisal and do believe that our system is the best thing going, but it's headed in the wrong direction.

02-25-2002, 06:34 PM
brad,

The reason our environment is so much cleaner is due to things like the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act. These are the programs that Bush would likely find "damaging to the economy". My problem with us pulling out of Kyoto is that we signed the freaking agreement and we should stand by it. What the hell. I'm currently a Biology major--maybe 8 years of Bush will provide me with a lifetime of restoration projects to work on.

02-25-2002, 06:47 PM
but the planet cannot tell the difference...that's my point...gl

02-25-2002, 06:49 PM
spoken as only a lawyer could...good point counselor...the only revenge against the bastards is living well...lol..gl

02-25-2002, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah!!--it's true man! Just because I detest the direction our President has us headed, it must mean I'm pro-terrorist. I consider myself a human being first, American second. And give me a f*^&king break about our "great leader" compromising to keep the economy going. He's compromising to keep our big corporations rolling in dough. It just so happens that middle class America is satisfied just enough to not bitch about it, and lower class America is disorganized just enough to be unable to make any real change occur. And I don't hold terrorists like bin Laden or self serving dictators like Saddam to any moral standard. I do hold my President to a much higher standard. When he bullshits us with this bogus greenhouse gas reduction that's actually an increase plan, I draw the line. How do you react when someone treats you like a dumbass? I get pissed.

02-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Convert another lane to car pool. If this doesn't increase car pooling convert another...

02-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Mason,

You should have carpool lane privileges when you're driving that car. How do you like it? I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them.