PDA

View Full Version : Airports are [censored] ricidulous

ggbman
10-14-2005, 03:34 PM
I cant think of any other time you pay as much money for a service where is so constantly acceptable for things not to be timely. I'm venting because my flight is delayed, so i will miss my connector, so i won't get into MN until like 11:00 instead of 8 when i skipped class to get there ealier.

DasLeben
10-14-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cant think of any other time you pay as much money for a service where is so constantly acceptable for things not to be timely. I'm venting because my flight is delayed, so i will miss my connector, so i won't get into MN until like 11:00 instead of 8 when i skipped class to get there ealier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the frustration, but there are so many things that are beyond the control of anyone that affects how timely everything operates.

The worst I remember was sitting on the ground in DFW in an MD80 for over an hour, and having people get all pissed off at the airline for the delay. Meanwhile, a thunderstorm raged overhead.

daryn
10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
i think it's pretty amazing that you can pay a few hundo and get into a big metal tube that flies you across a huge country

ggbman
10-14-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it's pretty amazing that you can pay a few hundo and get into a big metal tube that flies you across a huge country

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, overall its a good deal, im just venting because this has happened the last couple of time i have flown. I think flights get delayed enought that airlines should try to work out systems where they can send passengers to each others flights to make things more convientant for people, there are people who have more pressing reasons to be on time then me.

daryn
10-14-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, overall its a good deal, im just venting because this has happened the last couple of time i have flown. I think flights get delayed enought that airlines should try to work out systems where they can send passengers to each others flights to make things more convientant for people, there are people who have more pressing reasons to be on time then me.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah, airports definitely suck, there's just nothing you can do about it

last few times i have flown i have been dangerously close to missing connecting flights due to delays

canis582
10-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Did you get felt up by a 63 year-old man while going through security? I love when that happens.

"Leonard Washington don't get buck naked for no one"

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Flight s get delayed. No way around that. I just wish they were more forthcoming with information when it happens. It's just annoying sitting around not knowing anything. Plus the airlines manage to find the rudest people on earth to provide customer service.

BoogerFace
10-14-2005, 03:59 PM
It's faster than walking/driving/other modes of transport.

If you fly enough, you will get used to it.

Forbin
10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think flights get delayed enought that airlines should try to work out systems where they can send passengers to each others flights to make things more convientant for people, there are people who have more pressing reasons to be on time then me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The major airlines have a system set up exactly like that.

http://airtravel.about.com/cs/delays/a/rule240.htm

Unless you're flying on one of the low-cost carriers like Southwest or JetBlue - they generally have a policy of never pushing their passengers over to other airlines. While the 240-like rules on the majors don't cover weather or some other problems, they do have other rules (all in the contract of carriage) stating when and how you can get your ticket endorsed over to another airline because of other delay causes.

I've had success in the past getting United to endorse my ticket onto other carriers when a delay in my initial flight would make me miss my connection, and no alternate United flights could get me to my final destination in a reasonable timeframe.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-14-2005, 04:01 PM
My favorite was when my wife and I were flying out to Seattle to visit a friend. We ended up delayed something like 4 hours on some trouble with the plane. First, the plane was late getting in. Then, they came over and said we'd be delayed about half an hour because of a problem with "a light". Every half hour or so, they backed it up another half hour to 45 minutes. Finally, we got on the plane and pushed off. As we were taxiing out to the runway, the plane came to a halt. The captain came on the PA a few minutes later and said something about how there's a problem with the plane that they couldn't fix, but "we're just going to take off anyway". We were next in a long line of planes to get on the runway and we ended up sitting there for an hour and a half before returning to the gate. They didn't let us off the plane and we sat there for another hour before finally taking off.

Voltron87
10-14-2005, 04:06 PM
4 hours? thats it? you are way overhyping it.

benza13
10-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Might as well share one of my airports suck stories. Flying home from Vegas once, get to our layover stop with about 45 minutes before our next flight, check the monitors and everything seems cool. Run to grab some food quick and rush through our meal. Get to the gate ~10 minutes before scheduled takeoff right as they are announcing that it is delayed. Delays continue, keep getting pushed back an hour at a time. Turns out (we find out after about 4 hours) that our flight crew is stuck at another airport due to bad weather and we have to wait for them, of course they knew this the whole time and failed to tell us. Not to mention they gave us food vouchers after all the restaurants were already closed. After about an 8 hour wait, we finally take off. We also have to make an extra stop along the way to drop off some other stranded passengers. Arrive at 4:30 am instead of 8:30 pm, and after a long weekend in Vegas I dont think you can get more tired than I was getting off that last plane.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-14-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but 2.5 of it was sitting in the airplane on the ground. The real kicker was that there was still something wrong with the plane and the pilot basically said "[censored] it I'm going anyway."

4_2_it
10-14-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The captain came on the PA a few minutes later and said something about how there's a problem with the plane that they couldn't fix, but "we're just going to take off anyway".

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the pilot a heavy set middle age man wearing a bright blue shirt and a hat with an anchor on it? Was the co-pilot a lanky fella with a bright red shirt?

Brom
10-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow, I always thought it was a myth that planes get delayed. The kind of thing I always see people complaining about, but never experienced myself.

I fly somewhere and back about one or two times each month, and have done it for the last 4 years. I have never had a plane leave anything less than on time, and usually they are early. I should say that I never fly trans-Atlanticly, and the average flight doesn't contain a connecting flight either.

BoogerFace
10-14-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but 2.5 of it was sitting in the airplane on the ground. The real kicker was that there was still something wrong with the plane and the pilot basically said "[censored] it I'm going anyway."

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt the pilot made the call. Usually they have to get a fax from 'the home office' is some thing is broken. This happened to me once. One of the cockpit windshields was cracked, maintenance patched it, and they needed a signoff from somewhere before takeoff.

Voltron87
10-14-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2.5 is a bitch, but not extraordinary. I've done 7 hours on the ground in the plane waiting to takeoff.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
As an aside, did you guys know that planes are struck by birds about 16500 times a year? There are about 8500 cases where it's unknown what kind of bird it is, but of the times where the kind of bird can be determined, the birds colliding the most are passerines, hitting 2500+ times, followed closely by gulls nearly 2400 times and raptors just over 1000 times. Also, there are 45 incidents of birds hitting parked planes. The most common flight segment for bird collision is during approach for landing, hitting about 5000 times, followed by take-off at about 3200. About 2700 birds are hit as the plane is rolling down the runway on landing and 2200 as it's climbing.

This is according to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

tonypaladino
10-14-2005, 04:36 PM
http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/511/image_09.gif