PDA

View Full Version : Sayings that people totally butcher.....

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Some examples of phrases and words I hear almost daily that are totally wrong and/or misused:

"I could care less"
-----really? Personally, when I don't really care "I couldn't care less"

"Orientated"
----not a word. Its oriented.

Irregardless
-----not technically a word. Its regardless.

and a bit obscure, but...

"Chomping at the bit"
-----wrong. Its "champing at the bit". Everyone says chomping

Please add yours and/or just call me a nit.

"I could care less"......

pudley4
10-14-2005, 01:38 PM
supposably.

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Irregardless of the fact that this thread has been done several times, you were obviously just chomping at the bit to do it again. I suggest you become orientated with the search function...or not. Really I could care less.

istewart
"Due to."

Unacceptable in most situations that people commonly use it.

"Very uniquely."

You don't hear this that much but when you do, people deserve to be shot.

STLantny
I used to say for all intensive purposes....

supposubly- I hate people who say that

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless of the fact that this thread has been done several times, you were obviously just chomping at the bit to do it again. I suggest you become orientated with the search function...or not. Really I could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

shakingspear
10-14-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
supposably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this one sucks.

swede123
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake is back /images/graemlins/smile.gif

27offsuit
[ QUOTE ]
I used to say for all intensive purposes....

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear someone say that every G.D. day!

4_2_it
10-14-2005, 01:43 PM
This thread is rediculous /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wes ManTooth
10-14-2005, 01:43 PM
absosmuffly rediculpuss

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 01:44 PM
I hear people say "conversate" a decent amount.

asofel
10-14-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake is back /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] this is one of those good ones you were looking for /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brainwalter
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
irregardless (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=irregardless)

M2d
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
others are bashing you for re-posting an unoriginal thread idea, but you shouldn't let yourself be a scrape goat.

astroglide
10-14-2005, 01:47 PM
most people think that 'nonplussed' means 'unimpressed'. i think it's probably #1 on the list of words people try to use to sound smart and get wrong.

MonkeeMan
10-14-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a mute point.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I haven't read through the replies, so there's a good chance that this is a repeat, but:

"intensive purposes"

AngryCola
10-14-2005, 01:54 PM
One in the same.

daryn
fustrated

junkmail3
You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass, but then..no. It's gotta be your bull

Jeff W
Wary vs. Weary

I strongly agree w/ your #2 and #3.

offTopic
10-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I hate it when people use "sayings" and "words" interchangeably.

AngryCola
10-14-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Due to."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guilty of saying this a bit too much.
Care to elaborate?

junkmail3
10-14-2005, 01:58 PM
http://cs.hbg.psu.edu/%7Earr135/caring.png

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 01:59 PM
anyways...I was down in our cafeteria getting breakfast this morning, when one of the dumb customer service girls ordered "one egg without no yolk." I really wanted to smack her...and she is our customer interface *sigh*

TheWillMo
10-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Incidentally, I hate when people say that there's something wrong with "I could care less." It's not corrupted, it means the same thing as "I couldn't care less." I googled and found this: link (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html)

They say it better than I do.

bravos1
10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Orientated"

[/ QUOTE ]
dictionary.com does not agree see here (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=orientated)

The funny thing about this is that in the 2nd definition when the are giving examples, they infact use oriented and not orientated. LOL
[ QUOTE ]

Irregardless
-----not technically a word. Its regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

they tend to mistake it for regardless as you mentioned or irrespective.

Again, I believe many dictionaries include this, but state that it is an irregular word and is incorrect to use it and the such...

[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

Phrases like this ALWAYS change over time as some of the words (champing in this case) just start to become not used anymore.

One of my favorites pointing to a word not used properly is Alanis Morrisette's song Ironic. Nothing mentioned in that song has anything to do with irony.... now that IS ironic /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CrazyEyez
10-14-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, I hate when people say that there's something wrong with "I could care less." It's not corrupted, it means the same thing as "I couldn't care less." I googled and found this: link (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html)

[/ QUOTE ]
You're trying to tell me that "could" and "couldn't" mean the same thing?
Ok.

CORed
10-14-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fustrated

[/ QUOTE ]

Or flustrated.

daryn
10-14-2005, 02:06 PM
i call BS

CrazyEyez
10-14-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just read the link.
Asinine.

Slow Play Ray
[ QUOTE ]
i call BS

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded.

istewart
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Due to."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guilty of saying this a bit too much.
Care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should rephrase. In conversations I suppose it's not that big of a problem. In writing it's used all the time though.

Here's a blurb from www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com):

[ QUOTE ]
Usage Note: Due to has been widely used for many years as a compound preposition like owing to, but some critics have insisted that due should be used only as an adjective. According to this view, it is incorrect to say The concert was canceled due to the rain, but acceptable to say The cancellation of the concert was due to the rain, where due continues to function as an adjective modifying cancellation. This seems a fine point, however, and since due to is widely used and understood, there seems little reason to avoid using it as a preposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that it is a fine point but I've encountered a fair share of English teachers and what-not who don't like to see it used that much.

Then again, this whole thread is fine points. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

WLVRYN
10-14-2005, 02:19 PM
unchartered territory

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
"Six one half dozen of another"

10-14-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

Groan...there is no reason for the "s" at the end of "anyway".

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

Groan...there is no reason for the "s" at the end of "anyway".

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is probably the most common and annoying one.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this wrong? besides the poor english, that is...?

10-14-2005, 02:49 PM
I hate it when people use the word "however" too much.
I was walking down the street one day, however I had to stop because I broke my leg.
Correction - I was walking down the street one day, but I had to stop because I broke my leg. Some say it to sound smart, but after a while it gets annoying.

man
10-14-2005, 02:52 PM
I think one of the most interesting things about language is the way that words and phrases change over time. I also feel that it's ludicrous to bind language to certain standardized rules. (of course there are exceptions, but I'm talking about conversational language) part of the beauty of language is that it can morph, but we are still able to communicate with it. it also seems really neat to me that someone today can read middle english and still get the jist of it, even though a lot of the words and phrases are totally different.

in short, you guys are a bunch of nits (said the nit.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif ). the purpose of lanuage is communication. if you understand what someone means why does it matter how they say it?

DasLeben
10-14-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a mute point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, this just kills me. I feel like stabbing people repeatedly when they say "mute point." It's "moot point," damnit.

SL__72
10-14-2005, 02:59 PM
I love it when people say "over exagerate."

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this wrong? besides the poor english, that is...?

[/ QUOTE ]

When people say this, it is obvious that they have no idea that the actual saying is "Six of one / half dozen of another".

Its lazy grammar turned into stupid grammar by the fact that people don't even understand that the saying relates to dozens and half dozens.

Anyways...

10-14-2005, 03:01 PM
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3815/typicaltattooedguy9xr.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/9224/typtatguyclose1hn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

lu_hawk
10-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Many people say "mine as well" when they mean to say "might as well".

Slow Play Ray
i guess what you are trying to say is not translating well into text.

either that, or i'm just stupid.

SL__72
er, confusing affect and effect.

offTopic
10-14-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a mute point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, this just kills me. I feel like stabbing people repeatedly when they say "mute point." It's "moot point," damnit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you try to stab the ones that say, "moot point", meaning not worthy of discussing when "moot" really means the opposite?

10-14-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Orientated"

[/ QUOTE ]

dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Orientated)

My grad work involved determining the orientation of a single crystal material. My lab mate always said 'orientated' and it drove me nuts, until I realized it was interchangeable with 'oriented'.

SL__72
10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
???

Main Entry: moot
Function: adjective
1 a : open to question : DEBATABLE b : subjected to discussion : DISPUTED
2 : deprived of practical significance : made abstract or purely academic

daryn
10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a mute point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you try to stab the ones that say, "moot point", meaning not worthy of discussing when "moot" really means the opposite?

[/ QUOTE ]

moot != opposite

offTopic
10-14-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
???

2 : deprived of practical significance : made abstract or purely academic

[/ QUOTE ]

What is definition 1?

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a mute point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

moot

adj.
1. Subject to debate; arguable: a moot question.

2. a. Law. Without legal significance, through having been previously decided or settled.
b. Of no practical importance; irrelevant.

10-14-2005, 03:13 PM
This guy used to work with me in our office, and he was from the backwoods of East Texas, and was the dumbest-sounding motherf***er I've ever met.

I don't know how this guy got a college degree.. he was like 55 years old and here are some of the GEMS he'd either WRITE ON OFFICIAL REPORTS, or tell clients over the phone:

"Other words" instead of "in other words", and he said this constantly when it wasn't applicable, "other words", when he didn't need to say it.

"thumb of rule", I'm not kidding. "The thumb of rule is that.... " What a f***ing joke.

"Culver sack", he WROTE this on a report (meaning cul-de-sac, like in a neighborhood).

"mist", instead of midst, as in "there is a change in level in the mist of the sidewalk" WTF??!! This was on a report.

"closes", this is how the guy spelled "clothes". I sh** you not.

"pacific", this is how he said "specific". Constantly, to clients over the phone.

"people that's", instead of "people that are", as in "people that's handicapped have a difficult time getting around."

"wait juss second", this is "wait just a second". He constantly cut off clients on the phone to say this. Very rude.

He also pronounced "digital" like "digical", and words that ended in a "t" were silent... as in "architec", etc.

We finally had to axe the tard, because our company was losing credibility. He was a real nice guy but just painful to occupy a non-enclosed office next to him.

His name is actually partly the inspiration for K Steel.

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make me drive to Daisley and throw a bad beat on you.

Rooster71
10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this incorrect? Have you ever seen a anxious horse "chomp" at the bit in its mouth? This is the origin of the phrase.

Adding "ate" to words in order to make the speaker sound more intelligent is common nowadays. I used to work for a VP who loved to say "we'll conversate over that".

Shajen
10-14-2005, 03:16 PM
excuse me, can I axe you a question?

daryn
10-14-2005, 03:18 PM
excape
expresso

mmbt0ne
10-14-2005, 03:18 PM
begs the question

10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
I used to work with this draftsman who used to say "elevate" meaning to "draft the elevations of this building" exterior or interior.

He'd be like "I still need to elevate the North facade of this building".

Uhhh, he isn't ELEVATING anything, he's drafting. Why can't he just say draft?

Note: This guy also said "Six and one half dozen to another"

astroglide
'expresso' is so much worse because people think that's the CORRECT name

i caught boys n the hood sometime on cable not so long ago and there was a funny scene where fishburne's wife is ms high class. they go to a restaurant and she says, "i'll have an expresso" in a really aloof way.

elwoodblues
"ATM Machine" - Automatic Teller Machine Machine
"7 am, in the morning" as opposed to 7 am in the evening?
Anyways

A mother of a friend of mine used to say "six of one, dozen and a half of another." Ummmm, no.

private joker
[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when people use the word "however" too much.
I was walking down the street one day, however I had to stop because I broke my leg.
Correction - I was walking down the street one day, but I had to stop because I broke my leg. Some say it to sound smart, but after a while it gets annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! I dated a girl like this once. She attended this self help seminar, and she went to it like every month or something. They had this group of people. They were all about being positive. In the group, they made a rule that you could never say "but," because it implied negativity for some reason. So every time you wanted to say 'but', the group made you say 'however' instead -- if you violated it, you were charged somehow.

So this girl kept doing this outside the group, like when we were alone together. "I need to go to the bathroom however I don't want to get out of bed." This pissed me off so much I broke up with her. Seriously.

10-14-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you could never say "but," because it implied negativity for some reason. So every time you wanted to say 'but', the group made you say 'however' instead

So this girl kept doing this outside the group. "I need to go to the bathroom however I don't want to get out of bed." This pissed me off so much I broke up with her. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love OOT /images/graemlins/heart.gif

10-14-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"ATM Machine" - Automatic Teller Machine Machine
"7 am, in the morning" as opposed to 7 am in the evening?
Anyways

A mother of a friend of mine used to say "six of one, dozen and a half of another." Ummmm, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe she meant "six of one dozen, and half of another"?

Good catch on the ATM machine thing, but it's "automated", not "automatic". lol.

There are plenty more redundancies like this.

private joker
10-14-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This guy used to work with me in our office, and he was from the backwoods of East Texas, and was the dumbest-sounding motherf***er I've ever met.

I don't know how this guy got a college degree.. he was like 55 years old and here are some of the GEMS he'd either WRITE ON OFFICIAL REPORTS, or tell clients over the phone:

"Other words" instead of "in other words", and he said this constantly when it wasn't applicable, "other words", when he didn't need to say it.

"thumb of rule", I'm not kidding. "The thumb of rule is that.... " What a f***ing joke.

"Culver sack", he WROTE this on a report (meaning cul-de-sac, like in a neighborhood).

"mist", instead of midst, as in "there is a change in level in the mist of the sidewalk" WTF??!! This was on a report.

"pacific", this is how he said "specific". Constantly, to clients over the phone.

"people that's", instead of "people that are", as in "people that's handicapped have a difficult time getting around."

"wait juss second", this is "wait just a second". He constantly cut off clients on the phone to say this. Very rude.

He also pronounced "digital" like "digical", and words that ended in a "t" were silent... as in "architec", etc.

We finally had to axe the tard, because our company was losing credibility. He was a real nice guy but just painful to occupy a non-enclosed office next to him.

His name is actually George W. Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

private joker
10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Good catch on the ATM machine thing, but it's "automated", not "automatic". lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like PIN number?

2+2 wannabe
10-14-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
excape
expresso

[/ QUOTE ]

ex cetera

[censored] that bugs me

CrazyEyez
10-14-2005, 03:33 PM
"Acrost." - my mother-in-law

DasLeben
10-14-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like PIN number?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or people writing "dollars" on a check, even when "dollars" is already there on the check. It comes off as "one hundred dollars and 20/100 dollars."

fnurt
10-14-2005, 03:34 PM
If you have a problem with "I could care less," consider the common variation "I could give a sh*t." Everyone gets what that means; I have yet to hear anyone complain that it should be "I couldn't give a sh*t."

I would nominate the use of "tow the line" instead of "toe the line," and "reign in" instead of "rein in."

DMBFan23
10-14-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly every thread has been done before. we get it.

good post.

MelchyBeau
10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
The exception proves the rule.
--no you dipshit, if you find a counterexample to the rule, it isn't valid.

the confusion between affect and effect.

Melch

Rooster71
10-14-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

His name is actually partly the inspiration for K Steel.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds very familiar. Did you work in the Texas Governor's office in the mid-late 90's?

CrazyEyez
10-14-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a problem with "I could care less," consider the common variation "I could give a sh*t." Everyone gets what that means; I have yet to hear anyone complain that it should be "I couldn't give a sh*t."

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it should be "couldn't give a sh*t."
"Could give a sh*t" is idiotic. Though if I were saying it, I'd say "I don't give a sh*t." Should "I do give a sh*t" be acceptable also?

Just because people know what it means doesn't mean it's not moronic.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless
-----not technically a word. Its regardless

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, i was going to make this thread based on this exact word the other day but figured it wouldn't go well.

there are a few girls at my gf's work that say this thinking that b/c they say it they sound smart and it bothers the hell out of my gf.

private joker
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This sounds very familiar. Did you work in the Texas Governor's office in the mid-late 90's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try -- you're a half hour late. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3675103&Fo rum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =3673925&Search=true&where=&Name=19577&daterange=& newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post3675103)

10-14-2005, 03:48 PM
That is two W. comments thusfar.

I think everyone gets it... he's an idiot. And enough people voted for him to get him elected.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make me drive to Daisley and throw a bad beat on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you are too afraid to make a Daisley appearance nowadays anyway. You and Suited Deuces both, you twinks.

private joker
10-14-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think everyone gets it... he's an idiot. And enough people voted for him to get him elected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it to the politics forum. This place is just for making harmless jokes.

mason55
10-14-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, i was going to make this thread based on this exact word the other day but figured it wouldn't go well.

there are a few girls at my gf's work that say this thinking that b/c they say it they sound smart and it bothers the hell out of my gf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how many times we have to go over this, irregardless is an acceptable word.

10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how many times we have to go over this, irregardless is an acceptable word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, it's not. The consensus amongst OOT'ers is that it is not acceptable.

Irregardless is the illegitimate love-child of Regardless and Irrespective.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
well she looked it up and a few months ago sent me an article where a lawyer tried to use this word in his opening statement in a major case on the supreme court and the judge stopped him in the middle of the monologue to ridicule him and tell him how ignorant he was and that it was a "fool's word" and to not use it in his court room. i will see if she still has the article.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 04:05 PM
website you should check out (http://www.irregardless.org/) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

diebitter
10-14-2005, 04:09 PM
"[censored] or Bust"

so which one is preferable there then?

Bulldog
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Orientated"

[/ QUOTE ]

These drive me nuts. I was at a bank the other day, and a teller had these buzzwords tacked up like "accuracy", "friendliness", and "preciseness". Yes, preciseness. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

"Cohesiveness" bothers me too. I guess it is a word, but damn, just use "cohesion"!

On the post-case interview on Judge Judy the other day, the uppity plaintiff who won said, "she used profound language around my son, and I wasn't going to keep living there with all that cursing going on". Heh.

Justin A
10-14-2005, 05:06 PM
My wife gets really annoyed with overuse of literally.

"She was literally drop dead gorgeous"

"It's literally hot as hell out there"

I know some people who use it so much it replaces 'um' as a pausing point in a story.

"So, literally, we were driving along minding our own business, when, literally, this car..."

10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
So, like, I mean, er uh, youse guys are sayin' we doehn get no French bimma fents?

10-14-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"So, literally, we were driving along minding our own business, when, literally, this car..."

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? This must be the dumbest San Diego...an..? since Ron Burgandy.

gunt
10-14-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like PIN number?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or people writing "dollars" on a check, even when "dollars" is already there on the check. It comes off as "one hundred dollars and 20/100 dollars."

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with this... my car insurance company told me to write "dollars" on my checks so they know the difference...What difference?... it allready says dollars at the end of the line on my check?

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 05:19 PM
You still playing weekly? I haven't seen any emails in the last couple/few weeks.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You still playing weekly? I haven't seen any emails in the last couple/few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

not every week, we've had a couple sporadic games. i lost my original email list and had to redo it - might've forgot you, i'll check it monday.

we better be careful - this is bordering on flat-out p*ker content in OOT.

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this incorrect? Have you ever seen a anxious horse "chomp" at the bit in its mouth? This is the origin of the phrase.

Adding "ate" to words in order to make the speaker sound more intelligent is common nowadays. I used to work for a VP who loved to say "we'll conversate over that".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why its incorrect, it just is.

Yes, "chomping at the bit" makes 'sense', but the fact remains that it is a bastardized version of the correct saying, which is "champing at the bit".

Just because everyone says it doesn't mean its correct. It just means everyone is lazy and ignorant, but hey, that's the american way.

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to work with this draftsman who used to say "elevate" meaning to "draft the elevations of this building" exterior or interior.

He'd be like "I still need to elevate the North facade of this building".

Uhhh, he isn't ELEVATING anything, he's drafting. Why can't he just say draft?

Note: This guy also said "Six and one half dozen to another"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Ray?! You hear that? He didn't even know what he was saying. He was just saying what he heard, oblivious to its meaning.

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 05:28 PM
nucular....

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
excape
expresso

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Daryn, who the fu*k is that vibrating face in your avatar?

It hurts.

daryn
10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
bruiser (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=5790&what=search&Forum=& Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&where=bodysub&Name=57 90&daterange=1&newerval=5&newertype=w&olderval=&ol dertype=&bodyprev=)

10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Maybe they are saying "Champing", but it just so happens that everyone you've ever come across who said this, had an accent that made their "A" sound like "O"???

Variance is a crazy thing.

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I called someone out via email a couple weeks ago on this, and he showed me that it was, in fact, listed in the dictionary.

Granted, it said something like "improper use of 'regardless'" or something to that affect/effect.

That's why I put 'technically'....

B Dids
10-14-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Acrost." - my mother-in-law

[/ QUOTE ]

My father used to work in radio. When he had to edit town interviews, he would go to great pains to remove the "t" from this work. (this is back when you were actually cutting tape).

27offsuit
10-14-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not every week, we've had a couple sporadic games. i lost my original email list and had to redo it - might've forgot you, i'll check it monday.

we better be careful - this is bordering on flat-out p*ker content in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought we were talking about circle-jerking.

My bad.

Dr. Strangelove
10-14-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
begs the question

[/ QUOTE ]

BAM! I see this misused every day and it bugs the [censored] out of me.

Cosimo
10-14-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The exception proves the rule.
--no you dipshit, if you find a counterexample to the rule, it isn't valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This proverb has a legal sense -- an exception being made demonstrates that a rule exists. The latin for this legal meaning is exceptio probat regulam (in casibus non exceptis).

I've seen some mention in science journals that suggest that "proves" in the proverb should be "proofs", meaning "tests", but I think that's a folk etymology and the legal sense is the true origin. As for current use, however, this sense is useful: an exception helps define the scope of a rule.

So I see three possible usages for this phrase:

1) Because we see an exception being made here, we know that in general that there is a rule.

2) This exception helps define the rule; we know the limits of the rule do not extend to this case.

3) This exception tests the rule, showing it to be false.

JaBlue
10-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Buy yourself a copy of Strunk and White's On Style and enjoy

Amid Cent
10-14-2005, 07:29 PM
"Coming down the pipe".

SoloAJ
10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
begs the question

[/ QUOTE ]

BAM! I see this misused every day and it bugs the [censored] out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this one misused?

Edit: Blar, I just asked roommate what he thought it meant. I now will take it as truth that most people don't know what this term means...I guess I never heard anyone misuse it (oddly).

LAGmaniac
10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
begs the question

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

How is this one misused?

[/ QUOTE ]

"This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?"

ddubois
10-14-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?"

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not seeing the problem.

ThaHero
10-14-2005, 08:16 PM
"When in Rome..."

See Anchorman. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gusser
10-14-2005, 08:19 PM
My skin crawls when anyone says "speaking of the devil". It's "speak of the devil" short for "speak of the devil and he will come". I don't know why but it kills me.

gus

Claunchy
10-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Purposely.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Purposely.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do people butcher this?

SoloAJ
10-14-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that makes no sense. the phrase 'begs the question' refers to something being granted as true when it might not be.
"OOT should kick all of the retarded posters in the nuts."....the information granted as true that may not be is that all OOT posters have nuts...so it begs the question..

Done.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that makes no sense. the phrase 'begs the question' refers to something being granted as true when it might not be.
"OOT should kick all of the retarded posters in the nuts."....the information granted as true that may not be is that all OOT posters have nuts...so it begs the question..

Done.

[/ QUOTE ]

This still isn't even entirely accurate. The phrase is used in logical arguments - an argument that "begs the question" actually assumes, in and of itself, that what it is actually arguing for for is true. In other words, you use your original point as proof of your point.

A more accurate example using your idea would be "OOT posters have no nuts, so you cannot kick them in the nuts" - this statement truly begs the question, because you have to assume the first part is true in order to know the second part is true. It is a sort of circular logic. Maybe this isn't a great example, but I was trying to use your same thought.

ddubois
10-14-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

I've always understood that when something 'begs the question', that something induces one to ask a followup question.

So I turn to google. This is what I found. It's not completely clear either. It sounds like my understanding of the phrase is common, but more colloquical than correct? I think?

"What is the origin of "begs the question"?

(Phrase origins)

It's said that beggars can't be choosers, although some people would like a few options when using a common expression featuring the word "beg." The origin of begs the question is "petitio principii" - Latin for "laying claim to a principle." It describes an argument that is false because it relies on a conclusion that is assumed but not proven.

Over time, "begs" has also come to mean "poses" or "addresses" the question. To highlight some people's unhappiness with this trend, the Canadian Oxford devotes several paragraphs to what it clearly identifies as an expanded but "disputed" definition. The lexicographers resist weighing in with a ruling - unsurprising, since dictionaries prefer description to proscription nowadays. But the 1997 Oxford Guide to Canadian English Usage doesn't hesitate to offer advice:

"In Canadian newspapers, 'begs the question' almost always means 'raises the question' or 'brings up the issue.' Although this usage is very common, it should probably be avoided because it is completely at odds with the formal meaning of the expression and constantly criticized by commentators."

Several news organizations, including the Canadian Press and Globe and Mail, have also told their journalists to stick with the original meaning. The CBC has published style guides over the years with similar recommendations, and columnist Martin O'Malley sent a reminder to the corporation's online news staff recently, along with some practical advice: "Since we seldom use 'begs' this way, many assume it means 'demands that a question be asked.' It does not. Best to avoid the phrase or risk embarrassment."

TimM
10-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Here's one I never heard anyone else use, other than a former co-worker.

He would say "relative to" when he meant "relevant to".

"I just found out something relative to the discussion we had earlier."

SoloAJ
10-14-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This still isn't even entirely accurate. The phrase is used in logical arguments - an argument that "begs the question" actually assumes, in and of itself, that what it is actually arguing for for is true. In other words, you use your original point as proof of your point.

A more accurate example using your idea would be "OOT posters have no nuts, so you cannot kick them in the nuts" - this statement truly begs the question, because you have to assume the first part is true in order to know the second part is true. It is a sort of circular logic. Maybe this isn't a great example, but I was trying to use your same thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your post. I was simply trying to leave the argumentative aspect out of it. I figured my post would explain it to those who don't know what the phrase means. Many people think that an example of 'begging the question' just means that a statement makes you ask another question. In reality, most simply, 'begging the question' has to do with assuming, without proof, that some aspect of the statement is true. This is simply not true.

As for the post that didn't understand what I was trying to say (not SlowPlayRay)....your misunderstanding is a result of the fac tthat you think 'begging the question' means it induces you to ask a question in a cause effect manner. That is the source of your confusion.

ddubois
10-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Passage 1:
It has been said that 'Someone should round up all of OOT and kick them in the nuts'. This begs the question: Do the members of OOT even have nuts?

Does everyone agree that this is a proper usage of the phrase?

Passage 2:
This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: How are we ever going to balance the budget?

They seem superficially similar to me. It seems like the dispute then, is not that a statement prompts a question. Both camps agree on this point. But, more specifically, what kind of question is prompted. Passage #2 is an example of any related or followup question question that could be prompted from the preceding statement. Passage #1 is an example where a specific kind of question is prompted - one that questions the validity of some pre-supposition made in the original statement.

I can see how the latter usage could have evolved from the former, when compared this way. It's a fairly subtle difference.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Passage 1:
It has been said that 'Someone should round up all of OOT and kick them in the nuts'. This begs the question: Do the members of OOT even have nuts?

Does everyone agree that this is a proper usage of the phrase?

[/ QUOTE ]

Noooooooo, this is EXACTLY how people use it improperly all the time!

This was good advice:

[ QUOTE ]
Best to avoid the phrase or risk embarrassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just found this: wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question) rules - read and learn!

ddubois
10-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Your going to have to show me what you beleive to be a proper usage then.

jdl22
10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Orientated"
----not a word.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=orientate&x=0&y=0)

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I already did: "OOT posters have no nuts, so you cannot kick them in the nuts"

This statement "begs the question." For the record, this phrase was not necessarily meant to be followed up with the question it begs, since it is implied in the original statement. But anyway, in this case, "the question" would be "is it even accurate that OOT posters have no nuts in the first place?"

Read the wikipedia entry I linked to - it explains it better than I can.

It's time for me to go get drunk.

*Edit* One more interesting passage from wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
Modern usage controversy
More recently, to beg the question has been used as a synonym for "to raise the question", or to indicate that "the question really ought to be addressed". For example, "This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" This usage is often sharply criticized by proponents of the traditional meaning, but has nonetheless come into sufficiently widespread use that it is now the most common use of the term. Careful usage still favors phrases such as "invites the question" or "raises the question".

Arguments over whether the newer usage should be considered incorrect are an example of debate over linguistic prescription and description.

[/ QUOTE ]

fingokra
10-14-2005, 09:05 PM
the over use of "utilize"

seldom is this word needed
"use" is more concise without losing meaning
99% of the uses of "utilize" are pretense

mostsmooth
10-14-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Orientated"

[/ QUOTE ]
orientated is a word, your thread svcks

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Orientated"

[/ QUOTE ]
orientated is a word

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been established no less than 4 times now.

ddubois
10-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Ok, I think I see now. I think intermingling example usage with the rest of your text has the effect of making your example less clear than you might like.

Passage #3:
OOT posters have no nuts, so you cannot kick them in the nuts. This statement begs the question.

So this is how you would use this phrase? You would actually say the above when corresponding with someone? When I read this, my mind immediately says "What question?". Seriously, if that's correct usage, [censored] correct usage.

mostsmooth
10-14-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Orientated"

[/ QUOTE ]
orientated is a word

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been established no less than 5 times now.

[/ QUOTE ]
in this thread? i didnt read it. did they also establish this thread svcks?

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Here is a much simpler example, not forcibly tailored to OOT posters' lack of nuts:

This painting is trash because it is obviously worthless.

This statement begs the question.

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in this thread? i didnt read it. did they also establish this thread svcks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks 4 posts above yours for one example.

And no - that's why I deleted that part from the quote.

Keats13
10-14-2005, 09:27 PM
The classic example of begging the question:

We know that God exists because the Bible says so, and everything in the Bible must be true because it is the word of God.

SoloAJ
10-14-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

We know that God exists because the Bible says so, and everything in the Bible must be true because it is the word of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for--what i can only hope--settles this explanation for good. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd rather have discussion on it though to end a few peoples annoying habit of misusing it. There are many others I hate (some included already).

How about people who think it's wet your appetite? Those are some patzers too.

chunk
10-15-2005, 01:05 AM
It's ironic that noone said "irony".

No, I guess it isn't.

Swax
10-15-2005, 01:06 AM
How about "overexaggerate"? I think the word "exaggerate" implies the "over" part.

"Whole 'nother" instead of another.

gorie
10-15-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my boss says this ALL the time. it drives me nuts.

SoloAJ
10-15-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No, I guess it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought someone did mention it. Either way, there's some crappy Katie Holmes movie I remember watching where she misused the term ironic and the teacher laid into her explaining that she didn't have any clue what irony was apparantly. I wish I could memorize the quote so I could say that to all the idiots I hear who don't have a clue.

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My skin crawls when anyone says "speaking of the devil". It's "speak of the devil" short for "speak of the devil and he will come". I don't know why but it kills me.

gus

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what this post is all about.

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 03:21 AM
Isn't it begs 'TO' question?....

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even get me started. Take notes here.

When you're saying 'you are', you spell it 'you're'. When it is time to spell your name, you spell it 'your'.

Stop embarassing yourself.........

jk

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's fu*king poetically mind-bending.

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Purposely.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Purposefully.

Jesus Ray, snap the f*ck out of it.:)

daryn
10-15-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it begs 'TO' question?....

[/ QUOTE ]

you are probably thinking of "beg to differ"

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Orientated"

[/ QUOTE ]
orientated is a word, your thread svcks

[/ QUOTE ]

Assmunch, if there is a God, (censored) will ban you.

And this thread has been hit 1200 times already, so go make your own sucky thread.

Notice how I used your correctly......

Jeremy517
10-15-2005, 03:45 AM
"The La Brea Tar Pits" actually means "The the tar tar pits".

Slightly more helpful than this "gem" would be every single thing listed here:
Common Errors in English (http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html)

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Orientated"
----not a word.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=orientate&x=0&y=0)

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you are a dumbass. 'Inflected' means 'to modify'. As in 'change'.

It is a bastardized version of the correct word.

Man.

smurfitup
10-15-2005, 04:53 AM
i used to say all-intensive purposes too! i thought i was the only retard /images/graemlins/smile.gif

smurfitup
10-15-2005, 04:56 AM
this is sort of off topic, but i have to vent.. the new phenomenon of saying "i feel that/like..." instead of "i think" is making me pull my hair out. especially in section.. it's INFURIATING.. that's all

private joker
10-15-2005, 05:07 AM
It's not really a saying, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the people who leave out the space in "no one." It's not "noone." Why do people keep saying noone? This virus is going around almost as fast as the lose/loose one.

diebitter
10-15-2005, 05:13 AM
To get boring, your description of the use 'noone' as a virus relates to the ideas present in the field of cultural evolution, or 'memetics'.

What 'gene' is to genetics, then 'meme' is to 'memetics'. This use of 'noone' is an example of a meme - a specific, single idea that is relatively new to the current cultural consciousness.

It's an interesting area, and first explored in the 'Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins, and expanded on in his later works.

Just my poundsworth.

stinkypete
10-15-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, most people who say "i could care less" aren't saying it sarcastiscally. they're just clueless.

stinkypete
10-15-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife gets really annoyed with overuse of literally.

"She was literally drop dead gorgeous"

"It's literally hot as hell out there"

[/ QUOTE ]

that literally makes my head explode.

Slow Play Ray
10-15-2005, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Purposely.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Purposefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well these are both perfectly acceptable words - but I am willing to bet people misuse purposefully far more than they misuse purposely. Purposely is the one that means "intentionally" - purposefully means more like "determinedly".

Purposely = on purpose
Purposefully = with purpose

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Purposely.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Purposefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well these are both perfectly acceptable words - but I am willing to bet people misuse purposefully far more than they misuse purposely. Purposely is the one that means "intentionally" - purposefully means more like "determinedly".

Purposely = on purpose
Purposefully = with purpose

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected.

It was 3:30, I was drunk. And stoned.

Did take it down last night though.

27offsuit
10-15-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not really a saying, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the people who leave out the space in "no one." It's not "noone." Why do people keep saying noone? This virus is going around almost as fast as the lose/loose one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your write.

theben
10-15-2005, 12:22 PM
eventually these misspoken sayings will become the most dominant form of the phrases and eventually be the 'correct' form of the sayings

nowadays, they are perfect cromulent phrases

David04
10-15-2005, 01:04 PM
The misuse of momentarily and presently.

Roy Munson
10-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Anybody that says nucular when they mean nuclear is retarded. The President of The United States of America is included.

bravos1
10-15-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"The La Brea Tar Pits" actually means "The the tar tar pits".

Slightly more helpful than this "gem" would be every single thing listed here:
Common Errors in English (http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like steak tartar pits??? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bravos1
10-15-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No, I guess it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's ironic that you did not read the thread before bringing up ironic. I already mentioned it, and specifically referred to Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic".

Ohhhhh... the irony /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Vern
10-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Lets nip this thread in the butt.

I always think of the Coppertone kid with the puppy nipping at her swim suit bottoms when I hear this.

My mother always used to admonish us with: "Never lick a gift horse in the mouth."

pauliewalnuts
10-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Come on. You dont think its the least bit ironic that when I considered suicide last night I found 10,000 spoons when all I needed was a knife?

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many people say "mine as well" when they mean to say "might as well".

[/ QUOTE ]

steal a page from the MTG community, shorten that to "MISE!" it has many uses, it's universal, the equivalent to "fo'get abowt it!"

hearing "what's your SSN number" annoys me, or "i forgot my PIN number" or "NIC card."

SoloAJ
10-15-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your write.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice play.

I love how recent posts are pointing out how people misuse phrases..yet..those people think they are geniuses for using the saying 'at the right time'...yeah. no nipping in the butt....People are stupid (not the poster who brought it up, I realize that.)

gorie
10-15-2005, 06:30 PM
a guy i knew thought "in particular" was "impraticular"
i thought it was funny.

lane mcbride
10-15-2005, 06:55 PM
-guess what? that's one that annoys me. It's a command, not a question. You are telling them to guess. not asking them a question.

-spelling definitely wrong.
-spelling judgment j-u-d-g-e-m-e-n-t (despite the fact that some sources indicate both is correct).
-the misuse of to, two, and too.
-saying perscribe instead of prescribe
-when people ask how are you and the person responds I'm well when they mean good. I can see that you aren't sick dipshit.
or conversely when people say how are you doing and people say well.
-the misuse of their, there, and they're

TheCroShow
10-15-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(despite the fact that some sources indicate both is correct).

-when people ask how are you and the person responds I'm well when they mean good. I can see that you aren't sick dipshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you would rather hear someone say "i'm doin good?"

both is correct eh? what is this, ebonics 101?

lane mcbride
10-15-2005, 08:05 PM
i meant good at the end of that last one. got confused apparently. I just meant the misuse of adverbs and adjectives

Slow Play Ray
10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lets nip this thread in the butt.

I always think of the Coppertone kid with the puppy nipping at her swim suit bottoms when I hear this.

My mother always used to admonish us with: "Never lick a gift horse in the mouth."

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I had a Turkish professor in college who used to say "i feel like i am beating a dead cow" and "same old dance and song"

SoloAJ
10-15-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware that if someone says that they are 'doing well' that is the correct answer? "Well" is used in reference to a verb (see: adverb) where "Good" is an adjective. So you either say "I am good." or "I am doing well." ....So if someone asks how you are doing...and you answer in one word..."Well".....Hope that clarifies your mistake.

Brainwalter
10-15-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only heard people use this correctly.

bravos1
10-15-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on. You dont think its the least bit ironic that when I considered suicide last night I found 10,000 spoons when all I needed was a knife?

[/ QUOTE ]

But did it rain on your wedding day?

bravos1
10-15-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this one.. NH.

The funny thing to me is that it does not even sound right if you use it correctly.. "Thats a whole another story." Bleh...

stinkypete
10-15-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-guess what? that's one that annoys me. It's a command, not a question. You are telling them to guess. not asking them a question.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, you're asking them if they'd like to guess.

SCfuji
10-15-2005, 09:31 PM
i think some of these sayings are worse then others. but than again, what do i know?

Aces McGee
10-15-2005, 09:46 PM
The one that really gets me that I don't think anyone has mentioned is when people write "should of" when they mean "should have." I recognize that, when spoken, the contraction "should've" sounds exactly like "should of," but that's no excuse for being grammatically incorrect in writing. The same is of course true of "would've" and "could've" and like constructions that I may be forgetting.

Along the lines of "begs the question," I think people use the term "slippery slope" far too liberally. (I also happen to think it's a stupid term to begin with). When I was in college, there was a girl in one of my philosophy classes who used "slippery slope" pretty much every time she opened her mouth.

"Whether or not" is redundant; "whether" is all that is necessary, as are most uses of the word "both."

For diplomatic reasons, I'm not going to get into the language constructions I've heard my girlfriend (raised in North Carolina) and her family use. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-McGee

miajag81
10-15-2005, 10:02 PM
I was doing some studying at the coffeeshop down the street earlier today and I overheard the girl at the next table say to her boyfriend say "I feel like such an... AUTOMATRON!" I stifled laughter.

SoloAJ
10-15-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was doing some studying at the coffeeshop down the street earlier today and I overheard the girl at the next table say to her boyfriend say "I feel like such an... AUTOMATRON!" I stifled laughter.

[/ QUOTE ]

How??

jakethebake
10-16-2005, 12:41 PM
People who say reoccurring (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3688214&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) instead of recurring.

Lazymeatball
10-16-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this one.. NH.

The funny thing to me is that it does not even sound right if you use it correctly.. "Thats a whole another story." Bleh...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you are not using it correctly. You should have said "That's a whole nother story." It's not proper english and it's used much more in conversation than in text. Don't think of the "a" as an article, but rather the beginning of thw word "another." Basically people are using the word "whole" in the middle of the word the same way people insert the word F*cking into the middle of words. This is just my interpratation.

TheCroShow
10-16-2005, 02:16 PM
this is one that bothers me and can be debated either way:

"In my HUMBLE opinion." If your opinion is so humble, why do you have to state for me that it's humble? I find it slightly annoying and it can be argued either way.

10-16-2005, 02:42 PM
I work with a girl who insists on pronouncing the "L" in salmon SALLLL-MON. Drives me crazy

Rooster71
10-17-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Change the word "elected" to "appointed" and I agree.

Rooster71
10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why its incorrect, it just is.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Great answer. But you are still wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because everyone says it doesn't mean its correct. It just means everyone is lazy and ignorant, but hey, that's the american way.

[/ QUOTE ]
When someone states something to be correct and cannot provide any reason as to why other than "I don't know why its incorrect, it just is", that is lazy and ignorant.

Rooster71
10-17-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

Phrases like this ALWAYS change over time as some of the words (champing in this case) just start to become not used anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/wftwarch.pl?032905)

From www.merriam-webster.com (http://www.merriam-webster.com):
[ QUOTE ]
An equestrienne expecting her first child asked about the phrase "champing at the bit." Perhaps her patience was wearing thin—and perhaps she missed horseback riding—but our friend admitted to being driven crazy by people who described themselves as "chomping at the bit."

Eager to learn—and again, we quote—whether she should consider herself "righteously indignant or foolish and inflexible"—our friend turned to her Collegiate Dictionary. That's where she discovered that while champ and chomp have nearly synonymous transitive senses, champing or (chomping) at the bit is an intransitive usage.

For a long time, chomp and champ enjoyed slightly different intransitive senses: to chomp was to chew or bite on something; to champ was tomake biting or gnashing movements. Champ was the usual word to describe the noisy biting or chewing associated with farm animals; when an unruly or impatient horse bit or gnashed a bridle's bit, he or she was said to being "champing at the bit." That literal champing became figurative when it was applied to humans impatient at restraint or inactivity.

So does this mean chomping at the bit is incorrect? "Chomping at the bit" is the newer of the two phrases, but it is well enough established to have earned its place in the dictionary. Traditionalists may prefer champing but those eager for change may well feel comfortable chomping.

[/ QUOTE ]

27offsuit
10-17-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right! They change over time into wrong words like 'chomping', which stupid people believe MUST be the saying because hey, chomping and bit go hand-in-hand, right?

Then Websters says "F*ck, every idiot and their brother says 'chomping' now. Sh*t, just make it chomping. Not one of these f*ckwads reads a dictionary anyway."

So yah, you're right. "They always change"......

Its the American way. Lazy and ignorant, but not wrong.

And that brings me next to "hand-in-hand", which I just used above. Most idiosos say 'hand and hand', which is totally wrong. I'm sure that'll be changing soon, though.

Crveballin
10-18-2005, 02:01 AM
I hate when people mis pronounce crayon.

Its Cray- on
not crown or crayen.

CRAY... ON

Rooster71
10-18-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right! They change over time into wrong words like 'chomping', which stupid people believe MUST be the saying because hey, chomping and bit go hand-in-hand, right?

Then Websters says "F*ck, every idiot and their brother says 'chomping' now. Sh*t, just make it chomping. Not one of these f*ckwads reads a dictionary anyway."

And that brings me next to "hand-in-hand", which I just used above. Most idiosos say 'hand and hand', which is totally wrong. I'm sure that'll be changing soon, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Refer to the definitions above of chomping and champing. BTW, you have still not answered my question regarding how you "know" what is correct.

This is like arguing with a child who "knows" the answer because "daddy said so" and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Many examples listed in this thread have no correct usage under any circumstances. But given the difference between the words "chomp" and "champ", I cannot see how someone could say what is the correct or original term. But since you seem to be so smart, maybe you should write a "correct" reference that can compete with Merriam Webster.

27offsuit
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Refer to the definitions above of chomping and champing. BTW, you have still not answered my question regarding how you "know" what is correct.

This is like arguing with a child who "knows" the answer because "daddy said so" and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Many examples listed in this thread have no correct usage under any circumstances. But given the difference between the words "chomp" and "champ", I cannot see how someone could say what is the correct or original term. But since you seem to be so smart, maybe you should write a "correct" reference that can compete with Merriam Webster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go, hero....

http://www.langston.com/English/ ---its right near the top.

27offsuit
10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Easedropping is not a word...

...eavesdropping is.

ZeeJustin
10-18-2005, 03:23 PM
God Bless You.

The majority of the time I hear this phrase, it's pronounced
godbleshoo (I'm talking specifically post-snease of course).

JihadOnTheRiver
10-18-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God Bless You.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's like the difference between saying lil' and little. Its the same thing IMO.

Sephus
10-18-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God Bless You.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're off base here.

this happens because when your tongue goes from making the "sss" sound to making the "yuh" sound, it can tend to make the "sh" sound.

(this is the same reason "want you" can come out as "wanchu.")

27offsuit
10-18-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God Bless You.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just say 'post-snease'?