PDA

View Full Version : (11s or 22s) Minimum calling cards in each level from each position?

10-14-2005, 01:23 PM
The best 11s and 22s sng players on 2+2 need to get together and contribute a post devoted entirely on what the minimum hands to play are in each level from early, middle, and late position. HOH does this (and it is extremely helpful), but his book is not devoted entirely to sngs. I dont think he always realizes how donkish and loose the people tend to be on party sngs. Anyway, it would be extremely helpful imo to have a chart that went something like the following

MINIMUM CALLING HANDS
Level 1 (approx 9-10 players)

EP (seats 1-2): A9s, A10o, 77+
MP (seats 3-5): A7s, A9o, 55+
LP (seats 6-8): A3x, A6o, 22+

These hands are just examples, but I think if we could get something like this together for every level (or maybe it would be better to do it by the number of people left?) this could be a very useful tool. Maybe later we could go on to include not only what minimum to call with, but what minimum to raise with.

Thanks for any and all replies,

-Grant

10-14-2005, 01:27 PM
I know you're saying those are just examples but I'm significantly tighter than that early levels.

YourFoxyGrandma
10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
This has sortof already been done in those "How to Beat the Party $11s" guides that were so popular here about a year ago. There's a few different versions out there; give them a search. However, there's more that should influence your preflop calling standards than just blinds and position, which makes this sort of cookie cutter, formula-type play ineffective. Using said guides as anything beyond a rough starting point would be unwise.

10-14-2005, 01:34 PM
What else out there should influence my preflop calling standards if not blinds and position and # of players left? If I'm 8 tabling, we must assume that I have no reads, so I'm not sure what else to base my standards on. I will take a look at the guides as you suggested.

-grant

DMACM
10-14-2005, 01:45 PM
FWIW I found HOH's recommendations to be unusual. He recommends playing any ace from late position and I believe no pairs below 7? It struck me as being like the opposite of Phil Hellmuth's recommendations which are all pairs and axs. HOH doesnt seem to give much credit to implied odds of hitting a big hand. I dont intend this as a criticism I just found it interesting.

YourFoxyGrandma
10-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Even 8-tabling, you should be able to get some idea of the texture of your tables. The number of limpers to you, and some idea of their ranges along with stack sizes of everyone at the table and the blinds in relation to your stack should weigh heavily on your preflop decisions.

It should also be noted that the level of the blinds doesn't matter so much as the ratio of the blinds to your stack and the stacks of your opponents. You could come up with a guide based on these ratios, but again, with other factors to consider, this becomes exceedingly complicated and unweildy.

10-14-2005, 02:14 PM
BTW, congrats on your 1337th post.

-grant

citanul
10-14-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best 11s and 22s sng players on 2+2 need to get together and contribute a post devoted entirely on what the minimum hands to play are in each level from early, middle, and late position.

[/ QUOTE ]

egad.

pooh74
10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best 11s and 22s sng players on 2+2 need to get together and contribute a post devoted entirely on what the minimum hands to play are in each level from early, middle, and late position.

[/ QUOTE ]

egad.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...post it and Ill come and play too with the chart taped to my monitor...fun!!!!!

Nicholasp27
10-14-2005, 02:52 PM
limp in with 22-jj from any position when blinds are low

raise with ak/qq+ from any position

fold everything else

that's the basic guide...if u wanna play some poker, then throw in suited connectors and some other hands in late position, but that then strays away from the 'guide'

JudoGirl
10-14-2005, 03:15 PM
If you play from such a chart, please let me know so I can sit at all your tables! It makes range-of-hands calculations very easy which is +EV for me!!