PDA

View Full Version : out to dinner, is this a dick move?

Tyler Durden
10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
On Tuesday night my g/f took me out to dinner at a nice place. We order a bottle of wine and don't get carded. The menu says that if you're under 26 and don't get asked for your ID then you get a free dessert (she turned 25 two weeks ago and I'll be 25 in two months).

So the question is, if we take advantage of the policy and let the waiter know that we want 2 free desserts, is it considered a dick move to do so?

What would you do?

IndieMatty
10-14-2005, 12:12 PM
I try and not get the waiter fired.

lu_hawk
10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
It would be a huge dick move because the waiter would get in trouble with the manager.

Freakin
It's their policy, but the waiter is probably the one paying for the desserts. If you do choose to go for the desserts, at a minimum you need to tip the waiter for them. I think it would be best to go for one free dessert.

Freakin

CollinEstes
Yeah I would say that is pretty lame.

BreakfastBurrito
They specifically put it into the menu so it's perfectly fine, if not expected, to be taken advantage of. Tip the waiter a bit extra and everyone's happy.

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's their policy, but the waiter is probably the one paying for the desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if that's all that happens to the server.

Tyler Durden
10-14-2005, 12:17 PM
We took advantage in the form of two free desserts and overtipped as a result.

Please continue the discussion.

IndieMatty
I'm sorry, after reading the responses, maybe I should clarify. This is a HUGE DICK [censored] MOVE. You are classless if you try and take advantage, not to mention the fact that 126 can spare the 10-20 bucks on desert.

CollinEstes
Don't know where you live but in Texas the resturants are under so much pressure from TABC that alot of them say they will fire anyone who doesn't card. The fines they get if it is TABC catching them are huge.

wh1t3bread
Definitely a dick move. The only thing this accomplishes is you saving 10 bucks and the waiter losing 10 bucks or hearing it from the Manager and probably spitting (or worse) in your free desert.

I just can't believe someone thinks you look 26. You look like you haven't even hit puberty (and no that crustache doesnt count).

Edit: I also can't believe you have a girlfriend. That is all.

Freakin
10-14-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I retract my earlier comments... the waiter will almost surely get in trouble.

Freakin

10-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I would bet $ that the waiter got fired. Management puts the free desert thing in there to get customers to NARC on the staff. Perhaps the waiter got what he deserved for not carding 25 year olds (I don't think so). Hope that desert tasted good, it probably cost someone his job. The extra $7 you gave him does not make up for it.

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Meh. I wouldn't worry about this. The waiter probably just walked back to the dessert tray and got them himself. I doubt he entered it in the computer or that anyone even knew about it.

Wes ManTooth
10-14-2005, 12:22 PM
assuming the waiter did a good job that night and was being considerate by not carding, I think this would be a bad move.

Telling on the waiter to there manager to be a cheap ass and get a free dessert, is lame and shows no class

10-14-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely a dick move. The only thing this accomplishes is you saving 10 bucks and the waiter losing 10 bucks or hearing it from the Manager and probably spitting (or worse) in your free desert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, there was something in your desert to. Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts. Seeing as he know was was going to get fired or, at a minimum, written up, you got a bonus prize in whatever you ordered.

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard this a few times. I've worked at several restaurants and never prepared my own desserts.

Paluka
10-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I think you have to tell the waiter first, and ask him if taking the free one screws him.

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to tell the waiter first, and ask him if taking the free one screws him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good answer.

daryn
10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds like a primo play

10-14-2005, 12:28 PM
no. Rules are rules. They set the rule up, they got to live by it. If this is a "nice restaurant", then you've probably already paid for the desert anyway.

IndieMatty
10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

decent answer, but the waiter most likely would never be like "oh crap, yeah it does, do me a solid and don't ask for the desert ok?"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they should take him out and put him in a hole in the desert.

wtf? So he failed to card a 25-year old... not grounds for firing. Jesus.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard this a few times. I've worked at several restaurants and never prepared my own desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just depends. At a minimum, the waiter does have to get the desert "from the back." Upset server = extra sauce.

IndieMatty
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no. Rules are rules. They set the rule up, they got to live by it. If this is a "nice restaurant", then you've probably already paid for the desert anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to add, I doubt this is a "nice restaurant"; what halfway decent place has a gimmick like this?

daryn
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

decent answer, but the waiter most likely would never be like "oh crap, yeah it does, do me a solid and don't ask for the desert ok?"

[/ QUOTE ]

you're saying he woudln't answer the question honestly?

Tyler Durden
10-14-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. They put it on the goddamn menu.

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to add, I doubt this is a "nice restaurant"; what halfway decent place has a gimmick like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing. It's most certainly not a gimmick to get people in the door. It's a measure to weed out those that might cost them a lot of money in the future.

TheMainEvent
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but if you asked him who pays for the dessert and whether he is likely to get canned I think he is obliged to give you an honest answer. There's no way it doesn't screw him at all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not carding is a very serious restaurant offense. Obviously not carding a 25 year old is not going to get the restaurant fined, however, restaurant management put that NARC policy in place to cover their butts and will not be happy with a server potentially getting them fined and a liquor license taken away.

People get fired for a lot less.

wh1t3bread
[ QUOTE ]

They put it on the goddamn menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Manager put it on the menu, not the Waiter who actually serves it to you. This is where the situation gets tricky.

scdavis0
10-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow you are just a total square.

10-14-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They put it on the goddamn menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Manager put it on the menu, not the Waiter who actually serves it to you. This is where the situation gets tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! You pulled a Cindy Brady (perhaps I just dated myself). To paraphrase Mike Brady, Nobody likes a tattletale. You snitched, go get your sash and monitor the high school hall for kids running.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, there was something in your desert to. Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts. Seeing as he know was was going to get fired or, at a minimum, written up, you got a bonus prize in whatever you ordered.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. i hope you and this theoretical "girlfriend" enjoyed the extra glaze on your brownie...

Tyler Durden
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right IndieMatty it wasn't a "nice restaurant" I was just lying about that part. Really it was a major dump.

HopeydaFish
10-14-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what my answer would have been. Of course, you're asking this question knowing full that the answer won't be something that is good for the waiter.

I probably would have told the waiter that he needs to be more careful in future, and showed him my ID. However, I'd tell him that I wouldn't be ratting him out but that the next customer might not be so kind.

offTopic
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right IndieMatty it wasn't a "nice restaurant" I was just lying about that part. Really it was a major dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

What restaurant was this?

scdavis0
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
This thread angers me in a way that shouldn't be possible.

What kind of total lame ass square do you have to be to actually take advantage of this situation?

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What restaurant was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

hardee's

Turning Stone Pro
When you and your friend go over there to apologize for getting him terminated.

TSP

wh1t3bread
10-14-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What kind of total lame ass square do you have to be to actually take advantage of this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason your posts in this thread are making me laugh alot.

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because he keeps saying "square". I guess we can't all be "hep cats" like him, daddy-o.

krimson
10-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Definitely a dick move. The waiter will likely be in trouble and have to pay for the desserts. Why make some guy who is probably just scratching out a living pay for your food?

Besides, do you enjoy being ID'd at a nice restaurant? I find it a bit degrading to the fine dining experience. Why punish this guy for not hassling you?

wh1t3bread
10-14-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Probably because he keeps saying "square". I guess we can't all be "hep cats" like him, daddy-o.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right. TD is an L7 Weenie.

asofel
10-14-2005, 12:45 PM
I think some people fall on the side of rules, protocol, and do what's technically correct or allowable. Others let things slide.

Yes it is printed on the menu. Can't you think of other situations where the rules should slide and people should be cool though? Perhaps forgetting your id at a place where its obvious you are 21? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

asofel
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hep or hip?

Wes ManTooth
10-14-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely a dick move....

Besides, do you enjoy being ID'd at a nice restaurant? I find it a bit degrading to the fine dining experience. Why punish this guy for not hassling you?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

Aloysius
10-14-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm sort of surprised by all the "no taking advantage of this offer". Unless TylerDurden and his girlfriend look unusally old for their ages - and so for this particular gimmick there's a high probability the waiter makes a mistake, why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

Assuming they look like your avg. 25 year olds, it's on the waiter to do his job correctly. Personal, accountability.

And if Tyler didn't take advantage of the situation, likely the waiter would make the mistake again, and someone else would.

Also, from the restaurant's perspective - is it better for Tyler to let this guy off the hook, and leave the restaurant with a waiter who clearly could, going-forward, do real damage to them when this waiter doesn't card someone who actualy is under 21? Even if Tyler spoke to the waiter about it, if they didn't take advantage of the offer, you think that's going to change the waiter's future behavior?

Hope you enjoyed your desserts. I would have.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hep or hip?

[/ QUOTE ]

hep

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]
I think some people fall on the side of rules, protocol, and do what's technically correct or allowable. Others let things slide.

Yes it is printed on the menu. Can't you think of other situations where the rules should slide and people should be cool though? Perhaps forgetting your id at a place where its obvious you are 21? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

asofel
10-14-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hep or hip?

[/ QUOTE ]

hep

[/ QUOTE ]

hep is so not hip /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hep is so not hip /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it may have been in the 50s.

IndieMatty
10-14-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should elaborate.

I guess I meant this along the lines that even asking the question is a "dick move". No matter what the answer is, the waiter will have to give you the free desert(s) or else now he is breaking 2 rules. How should he know, that you don't work for the state, or if this is a chain restaurant are a "secret shopper"; who is actually grading you on your service.

Aloysius
10-14-2005, 12:58 PM
That may be true - but this isn't some stupid rule in place that is arbitrary restaurant policy. It's a rule in place to police the waitstaff.

Why are you so concerned about this waiter? Why aren't you just as concerned for the restaurant owners who have an employee that could potentially jeoparidize their business?

IndieMatty
10-14-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That may be true - but this isn't some stupid rule in place that is arbitrary restaurant policy. It's a rule in place to police the waitstaff.

Why are you so concerned about this waiter? Why aren't you just as concerned for the restaurant owners who have an employee that could potentially jeoparidize their business?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an excellent point.

I am going to turn my pot dealer in tomorrow for supporting terrorism.

Seriously, that is a good point. Although, I'm guessing this restaurant is probably owned by Tri or Darden. I guess it is because the drinking age is 21 and I'd like to think the waiter is able to use his better judgement, rather then hassleing everyone between 21-30.

How about warning the waiter when you leave at the end?

10-14-2005, 01:04 PM
If he's a good enough server he won't get fired.

If he's not good enough, and he gets fired, then we can safely assume that the lack of carding is just an excuse to fire a mediocre server, as well as a good opportunity to scare the SH** out of all other servers.

So, it all boils down to...is he a good server, or not?

canis582
10-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Everyone got their just deserts.

asofel
10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
btw, what was this "girlfriends" take on it, if she existed you know...

wh1t3bread
10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about warning the waiter when you leave at the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is probably the best scenario. The waiter doesnt get in trouble. You limit the owners future liability. And when you go there again, get the same waiter and he might hook you up.

scdavis0
10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
How does taking advantage of the offer and then tipping extra make any sense at all?

You could have just bought them outright and avoided eating sabotaged desserts (LOL at you for doing so).

wh1t3bread
10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Edit: My editting skills suck today....

beta1607
10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On Tuesday night my g/f took me out to dinner at a nice place. The menu says that if you're under 26 and don't get asked for your ID then you get a free dessert

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of a nice place that had this on the menu - are you sure it wasn't the Outback?

Shajen
10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On Tuesday night my g/f took me out to dinner at a nice place. The menu says that if you're under 26 and don't get asked for your ID then you get a free dessert

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of a nice place that had this on the menu - are you sure it wasn't the Outback?

[/ QUOTE ]

Places like this with cheapskate owners put [censored] like this on the menu for 1 of two reasons:

1) they've been busted for serving underaged people in their restaurants

2) they are trying to avoid being busted for underaged drinking.

Now, to answer your question:

I don't eat dessert, the question is moot. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bravos1
10-14-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should elaborate.

I guess I meant this along the lines that even asking the question is a "dick move". No matter what the answer is, the waiter will have to give you the free desert(s) or else now he is breaking 2 rules. How should he know, that you don't work for the state, or if this is a chain restaurant are a "secret shopper"; who is actually grading you on your service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if you are a "secret shopper" or work for the state? If you ask, "Hey, do you have to pay for this and that is all, or may you get fired if I ask for this?". His response should be, "I do/do not have to pay for this and I will/will not possibly be fired. Is this the case for you? Can I see your ID? Would you like your desserts?" Here he has answered your question truthfully and can not get in trouble because he did so.

If he does this, it is totally back on you. If he said he has to pay and/or may get fired, then say "No thanks, be careful next time, by the way I'd like to order 2 McFlurry's please /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ". If he states that he will in no way get in trouble or have to pay, well then it is up to you to decide whether or not you want it.

If you are a secret shopper or work for the state, he is screwed anyway as really won't matter what his answer to the question is, but he still did not hurt himself any more aswering this way.

If you ask the waiter.. it seems to me that it is a no lose situation for both parties unless the waiter is a complete moran!

10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the feck orders wine at TGI Fridays. Clearly the sign of a major douchemaster. <font color="white"> Just kidding Tyler, all in good fun </font>

Wes ManTooth
10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by the way I'd like to order 2 McFlurry's please

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

DCJ311
10-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Generally this is not only a dick move but a major self-cockblock in the eyes of whatever woman you're with.

I mean, it is +EV from a monetary standpoint, but you're ruining all comraderie with a person who is in control of what goes into your food when it is brought out of the kitchen.

Then again, I used to be a waiter, and those who have worked in that type of industry will almost 100% think you are a dick here, while those who haven't may be more inclined to agree with your position.

WDC
10-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Ask the waiter first. Find out how much trouble he is going to be in. If he says no biggie go for it.

Tyler Durden
10-14-2005, 04:16 PM
The restaurant was Carlyle in Arlington/Shirlington, Virginia.

I ordered a Caesar salad and a filet mignon and the g/f got the soup of the day and some big salad and we ordered the wine.

I think the total was $86.

Tyler Durden
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post Jake. This had me laughing out loud.

10-14-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sabotaged desserts

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great band name.

eviljeff
10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
if you really want to be dick, order a dessert with alcohol in it and then ask for another free dessert if he doesn't card you for that. then eat neither of the desserts.

RacersEdge
10-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Perfectly fine - rules are rules. Enjoy the dessert and give the waiter an extra buck per dessert.

What kind of dessert did you get?

bravos1
10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you really want to be dick, order a dessert with alcohol in it and then ask for another free dessert if he doesn't card you for that. then eat neither of the desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
awesome!

RacersEdge
10-14-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not carding is a very serious restaurant offense. Obviously not carding a 25 year old is not going to get the restaurant fined, however, restaurant management put that NARC policy in place to cover their butts and will not be happy with a server potentially getting them fined and a liquor license taken away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever think maybe he deserves to be fired?

Bump-en-Stein
10-14-2005, 04:37 PM
The whole night was a door-to-door Dick Move.

tonypaladino
10-14-2005, 04:41 PM
dick move

DcifrThs
10-14-2005, 04:45 PM
WOAH WOAH...

you have a GIRLFRIEND??? like a chic could stand to be yaser'ed for more than a short period of time lol.

time for you to find me when im on IM and tell me about this situation.

in terms of the dick move, yea, its kinda dick but imo it 100% depends on the girl.

i dont think you ever met my ex Candace but she would LOVE to take advantage of this situation. my current girl id never even think about it. so to answer your question, is your girlfriend the type to send back a good meal b/c it had

a) been slightly overcooked,

b) been slightly overspiced,

or

c) been sitting for too long on the take out window for your server (i.e. the plate is WAYYY hotter than the meal and its clear its been sitting for a while)

if a b or c is true you can shamelessly take advantage of this policy.

Barron

siccjay
10-14-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, did you get fired?

2+2 wannabe
10-14-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How does taking advantage of the offer and then tipping extra make any sense at all?

You could have just bought them outright and avoided eating sabotaged desserts (LOL at you for doing so).

[/ QUOTE ]

how has this not got more consideration?

it leads me to believe that the "extra tip" the OP gave was little to nothing

I love how people going out for a $70+tip supper would take a free dessert (you look like such a pussy doing it)

this isn't "free soft-serve cone with purhcase of large fries" - if I went out to a restaurant with a girl and pulled the free dessert move, I'd fully expect to not be called again

DasLeben
10-14-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then again, I used to be a waiter, and those who have worked in that type of industry will almost 100% think you are a dick here, while those who haven't may be more inclined to agree with your position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree here. I'm a server, and I think that this would be a seriously dickhead move. You're risking getting the server fired just so you can get a free dessert. Do NOT take the restaurant up on that offer if you're at all respectful to other people.

Wired Jokers
10-14-2005, 05:27 PM
By pulling this stunt, your girlfriend now and for all time thinks:

1) You are a jackass
2) You are a cheap S.O.B.

Trust me, she does.

Pay for your frigging meal, for crying out loud.

10-14-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever think maybe he deserves to be fired?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually covered this in another post. No, a waiter should not be fired for failing to card 25 year olds.

Think about it; you're on a date. Is getting carded +EV on a date? At a bar, sure, EVERYONE is carded. At a restaurant it is annoying.

I agree with the poster that said those who work(ed) in food industry vote dick; those who haven't said screw the waiter.

Klepton
10-14-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WOAH WOAH...

you have a GIRLFRIEND??? like a chic could stand to be yaser'ed for more than a short period of time lol.

time for you to find me when im on IM and tell me about this situation.

in terms of the dick move, yea, its kinda dick but imo it 100% depends on the girl.

i dont think you ever met my ex Candace but she would LOVE to take advantage of this situation. my current girl id never even think about it. so to answer your question, is your girlfriend the type to send back a good meal b/c it had

a) been slightly overcooked,

b) been slightly overspiced,

or

c) been sitting for too long on the take out window for your server (i.e. the plate is WAYYY hotter than the meal and its clear its been sitting for a while)

if a b or c is true you can shamelessly take advantage of this policy.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

you are getting more and more like microbob everyday. it's getting to the point where i'll stop reading them.