PDA

View Full Version : another example of mind numbing stupidity...

dcasper70
10-14-2005, 09:54 AM
All the rain up here in the northeast caused a tree in my neighbor's yard to fall, knocking out both of our phone lines.

So I call the phone company today and explain that I have no service at home due to a downed line, and can someone come out to fix it.

No joke, after fully explaining the situation, the service rep actually said this:

"Are you calling from the home phone now?"

I had to hang up on this man.

TheMainEvent
10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
So you weren't calling from your home phone?

daryn
10-14-2005, 09:56 AM
how the hell did you make the call if your home phone was down?

this story is totally fake

Lazymeatball
10-14-2005, 09:57 AM
he was calling from his cellphone. but when you hung up, the service rep probably figured that you were just embarassed because he called you out on calling from your home phone. in his mind he won. your hangup accomplished nothing.

CollinEstes
10-14-2005, 09:58 AM
He obviously could have been using a cell phone, or at work.

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

TheMainEvent
10-14-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

psst, we're trying to antagonize him...

Dave G.
[ QUOTE ]
he was calling from his cellphone. but when you hung up, the service rep probably figured that you were just embarassed because he called you out on calling from your home phone. in his mind he won. your hangup accomplished nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. He thwarted your prank brilliantly.

daryn
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i knew i would get someone

daryn
10-14-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, solid point

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 10:01 AM
So you hung up? I guess you'll just leave the phone line down then?

CollinEstes
10-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Too early to actually think. My mistake.

diebitter
10-14-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All the rain up here in the northeast caused a tree in my neighbor's yard to fall, knocking out both of our phone lines.

So I call the phone company today and explain that I have no service at home due to a downed line, and can someone come out to fix it.

No joke, after fully explaining the situation, the service rep actually said this:

"Are you calling from the home phone now?"

I had to hang up on this man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah,getting through to someone who could help, and taking the time to explain the situation, and then hanging up at a fair way down the road in sorting it out is a pretty good example, I'd say. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dcasper70
10-14-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
Sadly, you're probably correct. There is that chance that this guy is all proud of himself catching the prankster...

mackthefork
10-14-2005, 10:12 AM
This guy obviously went on the 10 week 'La-La-La I'm not listening' course that all call centre (center) workers have to go on before they can annoy the [censored] out of ordinary people.

Mack

mackthefork
10-14-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
Sadly, you're probably correct. There is that chance that this guy is all proud of himself catching the prankster...

[/ QUOTE ]

In his defence I have 'fixed' two different peoples monitors, which were not switched on at the wall.

Mack

bluefeet
10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
[mini-hijack]

Picked up "hot & ready" pizza last night for my kid. The young lady behind the counter told me it would be $6.35, including tax. I gave her a $5 bill, a $1 bill, and 2 quarters. She picked up one of those little 99cent calculators, that was lying next to the register. I gave her a funny look as she entered "6.50 - 6......" - she noticed me staring, and said "sorry, our register is broken. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

shakingspear
10-14-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. We're going to read this story from the other angle in next month's Reader's Digest.

asofel
10-14-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[mini-hijack]

Picked up "hot & ready" pizza last night for my kid. The young lady behind the counter told me it would be $6.35, including tax. I gave her a $5 bill, a $1 bill, and 2 quarters. She picked up one of those little 99cent calculators, that was lying next to the register. I gave her a funny look as she entered "6.50 - 6......" - she noticed me staring, and said "sorry, our register is broken. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bigger hijack....i used to work at a stop and shop on nantucket in the summer...great pay and good hours....anyway, a guy comes in and asks my manager if he could get 10 crates of tomatoes, and how much it'd cost....so my boss says "sure, lets see *whips out calculator*, 10 crates........at 30 a crate........is...........three hundred dollars sir!"

pudley4
10-14-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[mini-hijack]

[/ QUOTE ]

bigger hijack....i used to work at a stop and shop on nantucket in the summer...great pay and good hours....anyway, a guy comes in and asks my manager if he could get 10 crates of tomatoes, and how much it'd cost....so my boss says "sure, lets see *whips out calculator*, 10 crates........at 30 a crate........is...........three hundred dollars sir!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This story would have been so much better if he would have come back with an answer of $3000 (or $40)

daryn
10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!

[/ QUOTE ]

prankster? i don't think you understand. i think lazymeatball is saying that the phone guy figured you got embarrassed when you realized that your home phone actually did work, and you were an idiot for even calling in the first place.

pudley4
10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[mini-hijack]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sickening how many times this situation comes up:

Cashier: "That will be $9.76"
Me: "Ok, here's $10.01"
Cashier: *blank stare*

diebitter
10-14-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys do realise there's at least one way to make money from tards like this? Using requests for change at teh same time? Watch 'paper moon' if you didn't know about it.

joeski19
10-14-2005, 11:25 AM
I’m walking back from lunch the other day, past a parking attendant waving at cars with an orange flag. As I’m walking by him... No car keys out or anything.
He says “You can park here” I say “No, thanks I’m walking” He stares at me and says “You’re walking?” /images/graemlins/confused.gif

daryn
10-14-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys do realise there's at least one way to make money from tards like this? Using requests for change at teh same time? Watch 'paper moon' if you didn't know about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could just tell us and save us the trouble of watching a crap movie/show/whatever

diebitter
10-14-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or you could just tell us and save us the trouble of watching a crap movie/show/whatever

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, here's a summary I found:
----------------
The con artist goes into a store to buy something under a dollar. At the register, he pays with a $5 bill. The store clerk takes the $5 and gives him the change. Then comes following exchange.

The con artist says, "I have too many singles in my wallet. Let me give you five $1 bills and you give me a $5 bill."

The clerk gives him a $5 bill and takes the five ones. So far so good.

While the clerk still has the five ones in his hand, the con artist says, "I still have too many bills in my wallet. Let me give you back the $5 bill, together with the five ones in your hand. And in exchange, you give me a $10 bill."

The clerk unwittingly hands him a $10 bill -- not knowing that he only owes $5, not $10, at that point.
----------------------
You can scale up the denominations of course.

Actually, now I've pasted and read it, it doesn't sound very likely, does it?

danzasmack
10-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Peter La Fleur: Top of your head. What's 50 times $100,000?
Owen: $50,000?
Kate Veatch: $5 million! Peter, are you kidding me?
Peter La Fleur: [Average Joe's team in shock, surprise, and excitement] Guys?

dcasper70
10-14-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!

[/ QUOTE ]

prankster? i don't think you understand. i think lazymeatball is saying that the phone guy figured you got embarrassed when you realized that your home phone actually did work, and you were an idiot for even calling in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, nice call (no pun intended)....