PDA

View Full Version : He calls out my hand....significant tell or not?

4ever
10-14-2005, 09:34 AM
As you can see, I read much more than I post but I was involved in a hand that I think deserves a bit of attention.
I'm playing at Oceans 11 (Oceanside, Ca.) in the 2-3 NL game. Buy in is $100-$200. As far as other games in the area of the same blind level, this on here is argualbly on of the toughest. This is 100% in my opinion but some others have disagreed with me.

To my point. I was involved in a hand with a player (who happens to be a 2+2 poster who can reveal himself if he sees this post but otherwise I will keep it secretive.) As it turned out, he was probably the best player at the table. I didn't really see anyone else as a big threat.

I don't remember vivid details about the PF betting but that's not what I'm wondering about. We ended up heads up on the flop. I had position on him with TPTK (A9) He made a small bet and I raised about 4 times what he bet. He called.

The turn was a Q. He checked to me. I'm not sure if he respects my play or not at this point so I have no idea whether or not this is a bait check or a weak one. I felt it likely that he could be trying to trap me know that I would probably push after I raised, so I checked. (in retrospect, a feeler raise would probably have been a better move.)

The River was a K. I made it no secret that I didn't like this card (this was involuntary) and he thought for a seconed or two before making a pretty big bet. One that was a little more than half of what I had left. I was just ready to give it up, about 75 percent sure that he either had one of the overs or he flopped something huge. then he said to me "you have A9?" Which brings me to my question. This sent up a red flag for me. Why would he say that? My thought process led me to believe that he was pretty sure that I had A9 and he said that to show me that he wasn't afriad of it. This of course led me to believe that he WAS indeed afraid of a 9. Unfortunately...I still ended up folding. He showed my his rags. 7,4 I think. He said he only showed me because I was a 2+2 reader (another reason for the post.)

Was I right in believeing that he was a bit afriad of the 9 or should I not be putting too much thought into this phrase at all? If I would have trusted it, I'de be a bit richer, but I don't want to be a pattern recognizing human sheep. I'de be interested in any input. Thanks, posters.

DRKEVDC
10-14-2005, 10:18 AM
IMHO he was trying to move you off of your hand. I have run into this live before and typically re-raise to watch the person fold.

bernie
10-14-2005, 11:42 AM
You had top pair 9 with best kicker. Your play through the hand told him that.

You checked 2 streets and induced a bluff. He has to bet that river.

You gave up the initiative and disregarded your position. Why not bet the turn? Then I he calls, you likely would've been able to get a free showdown if you wanted.

As far as it being a tell? In this case, it was. But that doesn't mean it will be for all people who do this. The tell was the least of your worries. I'd concentrate more on your play of the hand. That would be more beneficial, imo.

b

jba
10-14-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You had top pair 9 with best kicker. Your play through the hand told him that.

[/ QUOTE ]

spot on. depends a lot on the preflop action but your postflop action paints your hand pretty well.

As for the signifigance of him calling it out before you call, my hunch is that it was more of a 'look how smart I am" than any kind of play.

idrinkcoors
10-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Remember what Caro says: "Weak means strong, Stong means weak." And "Find out what your opponet wants you to do. Then do the opposite." By calling out your hand, he was acting strong, and wanted you to fold.

4ever
10-14-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The tell was the least of your worries. I'd concentrate more on your play of the hand. That would be more beneficial, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, like I said, I just over thought it and was afriad of the trap...a mistake that I have made before. Giving up my position was huge and I shouldn't have had to be in that situation anyway, but if I see it again, I won't let it affect me to a large degree. Thanks bernie and others as well.

daryn
10-15-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMHO he was trying to move you off of your hand. I have run into this live before and typically re-raise to watch the person fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not just call and win?