PDA

View Full Version : QQ, need help with pot control

10-14-2005, 04:03 AM
This is my 9th hand at the table. Don't have any reads really. On a side note, I have played slightly over 1000 hands at NL 100 after moving up from NL 25. I kind of skipped NL 50 because I was trying to clear the previous PS bonus and it has a much better clearance rate at NL 100. Basically it allowed me to take a shot and I ran well, so I've been trying to stay here. That being said, I think I have some important lessons to be learned. Any help is appreciated.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($50.60)
MP ($127.75)
Hero ($103.95)
Button ($99.85)
SB ($152.05)
BB ($92.05)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $21, MP calls $13.

Flop: ($76.50) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, UTG calls $25.60 (All-In), MP calls $35.

Turn: ($172.10) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($172.10) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $172.10

Robfish
10-14-2005, 04:37 AM
I think i would bet again on the river here. Its very unlikely MP has you beat.

Cant see anyone playing a 4 that way considering the pre flop action.

MP would surely bet TT or 88 and also probably would possibly re raise pre flop with KK or AA. He probably has AK and may call a small bet.

UTG player would probably have re raised all in pre flop with KK or AA but he could have TT or 88 thats why i think you should try to get some more in the side pot.

Alternatively UTG might have high cards too or JJ and you win the lot but i would bet on the end again.

jkkkk
10-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Pre-flop I don't like 3-betting QQ here, MP will have AA-KK a lot of the time here after he 2-bets and once UTG calls you must assume he most likely has AA or KK. Also if for whatever reason you are going to put in a third raise pf then make it more, around 40.

I don't really see a right way to play this hand post-flop because you massacred it pre-flop. Check-fold is probably best.

10-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Yes, I felt awkward about the preflop situation. I thought just coldcalling a reraise preflop to 12 would be a horrible decision, and folding would be way to weak, so I decided to raise, and was really weak about it.
Then on the flop, I felt like I had to bet to protect against an A or K rolling off and giving away the pot, but the pot was so big that I again found myself in an awkward situation.
So what is your action on the flop assuming you called the reraise to 12 and your opponent leads out for 20-25?

Also, if you raise to around 40 and he pushes, its an easy call right? You would be getting around 2.33 to 1 (if UTG folds) and 3 to 1 (if UTG pushes), and you are about a 3 to 2 dog if he only does this with AA,KK,and AK.

boondockst
10-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Why does everyone move up to a level they're not ready for?

TreyOfLight
10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So what is your action on the flop assuming you called the reraise to 12 and your opponent leads out for 20-25?

[/ QUOTE ]You fold. The flat call leaves you playing for set value or a cheap showdown.

Raising preflop, on the other hand, pretty much commits you to going broke against AA, KK.

It's 6-handed and one could make a case for either line, but I think this is a good spot to exercise caution.

djoyce003
10-14-2005, 09:37 AM
unless the guy is uber lag, he's got at worst AK and KK and AA are likely...you will likely get no action against AK unless you are beat and of course you are dominated by AA and KK. I probably flat call the reraise and play my QQ very carefully....I'd say based on the action it's safe to say you are probably up against AK...but there is a chance you are up against a frightened KK...i'd check behind on the river because I don't think a worse hand calls you.

fuzzbox
10-14-2005, 09:53 AM
I start with 100, I have QQ, I have 3-bet preflop, and the pot on the flop is 75.

I push the flop (especially this flop).

Only TT/KK/AA/random 4 are ahead, get it in.

If Im gonna 3-bet then I also make it 36 to go (not 25).

fuzzbox
10-14-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You fold. The flat call leaves you playing for set value or a cheap showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is entirely not true. Calling a reraise pf, does NOT leave you playing QQ for set value. You are attempting to get more money from AK that misses/lower pocket pairs, and you are trying to balance that against losing money to AA/KK.
You dont have to go broke on a rag flop, but you often will, because our villain does not have AA/KK every time he reraises.

The reason for not 3-betting, is if villain will only call you (or push) with AA/KK. Thus you dont make extra money from AK/lower pocket pairs that bet the flop, and you still lose the same amount to AA/KK.

jkkkk
10-14-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I felt awkward about the preflop situation. I thought just coldcalling a reraise preflop to 12 would be a horrible decision, and folding would be way to weak, so I decided to raise, and was really weak about it.
Then on the flop, I felt like I had to bet to protect against an A or K rolling off and giving away the pot, but the pot was so big that I again found myself in an awkward situation.

Also, if you raise to around 40 and he pushes, its an easy call right? You would be getting around 2.33 to 1 (if UTG folds) and 3 to 1 (if UTG pushes), and you are about a 3 to 2 dog if he only does this with AA,KK,and AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold calling is not horrible at all here, if UTG cold calls the raise as well and then leads for pot on a T high board into two players I'm probably folding, Its unlikely hes going to bluff a pfrr+caller. His range (when leading the flop) will usually include JJ-AA or better hands such as sets.

If UTG and MP check, I'm betting and folding to a raise probably.

If you do 3-bet pf then yes, theres no way you can fold afterwards, either it goes in pf or on the flop.

Gugel
10-14-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I start with 100, I have QQ, I have 3-bet preflop, and the pot on the flop is 75.

I push the flop (especially this flop).

Only TT/KK/AA/random 4 are ahead, get it in.

If Im gonna 3-bet then I also make it 36 to go (not 25).

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU FORGOT THE LEGENDARY T4. I PUSH ALL-IN WITH THAT #$%!PREFLOP. IT'S 100% GUARANTEED TO WIN.

TreyOfLight
10-14-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is entirely not true. Calling a reraise pf, does NOT leave you playing QQ for set value. You are attempting to get more money from AK that misses/lower pocket pairs, and you are trying to balance that against losing money to AA/KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, then, I've entirely not understood your line. Are you saying to cold-call preflop, and raise the continuation bet allin? Or just call the flop, leaving an $80 pot and hero with $65 behind? Or what?

I don't see how you can play for unimproved value without getting all-in most of the time. Slowplaying the queens to win some extra money from AK/JJ sounds OK, maybe, but there's going to be an A,K, or J on over half of the flops; what's the plan then?