PDA

View Full Version : can negreanu really beat live nl cash games w/ his eyes closed?

10-14-2005, 03:13 AM
I genuinely, and honestly believe I could beat that game without ever looking at my cards. I'm dead serious. I couldn't win if they knew that obviously, but I am certain that I could squeak out a small profit just by taking pots that no one else wants.

haha, i can't tell wheather this is a joke or something he truly believes like his "advantage" in the greenstien HU stud matches. i'm not dissing the guy or nothing but beating nl cash game w/out looking at your cards? really?

Aceshigh7
10-14-2005, 03:14 AM
Of course he could. NL is so much more about reading your opponent than limit.

10-14-2005, 03:17 AM
It depends on what "that game" is and what he means by "beat that game". If the game is soft enough and "beating the game" means walk away with a profit, absolutely. If you play NL long enough, you will recognize plenty of situations where the cards don't matter.

CrazyPsycho
10-14-2005, 03:18 AM
I think he was referencing the 5/10 NL game at Wynn, and DN sat down with $125,000.

10-14-2005, 04:30 AM
damn this is funny. hahaha (http://www.recgroups.com/t/1/758580#a758580)

2+2 wannabe
10-14-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
damn this is funny. hahaha (http://www.recgroups.com/t/1/758580#a758580)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you can read this [censored]

it's worse than this forum

10-14-2005, 04:43 AM
it's called entertainment guy, lighten up. you're not at the wtp forum to learn something are you? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sammysusar
10-14-2005, 11:50 AM
he could simply pretend to look at his cards everytime but not really look. have tried this. so he definitely could.
i think he could be a small winner in the game as long as know one knew he did not look. probably most really good players could do this.

10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Wasn't there a story about DN on a cruise ship only playing Phil Hellmuth's folded cards in a game?

sammysusar
10-14-2005, 12:43 PM
yeah i saw that. i think that might be worse than playing without knowing your cards.

West
10-14-2005, 03:01 PM
It seems like from time to time Negreanu will talk about sitting down at a game like this and playing some hands blind, etc. I'm pretty sure he's said similar things before.

I personally think this scenario has as much to do with a probable huge disparity in the relative worth of the money being played for, between Negreanu and most everyone else at the table, than it indicates that Negreanu is "just that good" that he can beat the game playing blind. That's not to suggest that he isn't a great player - just that it's a little easier to throw thousands of dollars around while playing your cards blind when you're a multi multi millionaire.

Apathy
10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah i saw that. i think that might be worse than playing without knowing your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, it's not worse.

Vincent Lepore
10-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Negreanu is blowing smoke here. There is no way for him to prove his claim. There is also no way to disprove his claim. But there is no requirement to disprove his claim. He opened his mouth and as far as I am concerned put his foot in it. He is really sounding like a small minded braggard with this claim. He is basically saying that the players in the 5-10 HLH game are big dopes and/or that he is so skillful that there is noone in that game that has a chance of taking his money. He rally sounds like a silly little boy with this claim.

Vince

soah
10-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Earlier this year DN did a similar thing (messing around in a 10/20 game) and on one hand he openly announced that he was playing the hand blind. By the turn he was convinced that his sole opponent in the hand held an unimproved AK, and he announced that if no A or K came on the river he was moving in the rest of his stack. The river blanked, he moved in, and his opponent mucked AK.

One hand may not be much to draw conclusions from, but it's still pretty impressive.

xorbie
10-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Think about how many pots you play that don't go to showdown.

10-14-2005, 08:48 PM
I think the important question that everyone should be asking themselves here is: Who cares?

West
10-14-2005, 09:55 PM
For whatever moderator moved the thread - do you think more people are interested in discussing Negreanu playing no limit in the small stakes pot limit/no limit forum, or in the WPT forum? People read the WPT forum to discuss poker personalities. Some of you guys seriously need to find something to do with yourselves besides power tripping on the forums.

Huskiez
10-15-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Earlier this year DN did a similar thing (messing around in a 10/20 game) and on one hand he openly announced that he was playing the hand blind. By the turn he was convinced that his sole opponent in the hand held an unimproved AK, and he announced that if no A or K came on the river he was moving in the rest of his stack. The river blanked, he moved in, and his opponent mucked AK.

One hand may not be much to draw conclusions from, but it's still pretty impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually at the table playing with him when this hand occurred. I searched through the archives and found the summary (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1932565&page=0&fpart=all &vc=1) I made of the session for anyone who wants to read other hands.

By the way, he wrote on his blog that he could beat the 10-20 game at the Bellagio after this session. I think that's what OP was referring to.

I am pretty sure he could after playing with him. He wasn't even sober or playing for real in my account.

TheHip41
10-15-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he was referencing the 5/10 NL game at Wynn, and DN sat down with $125,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think DN is a good player, and I like him, but this is a dick move. It's like the donkeys sitting down with 12000 at a 2/4 party table. OOO, you are so cool. What a tool thing to do.

Malachii
10-15-2005, 06:45 AM
I hate to be a nit, but shouldn't this go in the WPT forum? I don't particularly care if DN can beat a 5/10$ game with his eyes closed.

punter11235
10-15-2005, 06:50 AM
I dont know about Wynn 5/10 game but he would stand no chance at all at any level online from 0.01$/0.02$NL to 5$/10$NL.

vulturesrow
10-15-2005, 04:42 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I hate to be a nit, but shouldn't this go in the WPT forum? I don't particularly care if DN can beat a 5/10$ game with his eyes closed.

[/ QUOTE ]

SEriously, why the fvck is this in here?

Hotel Detect
10-16-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Negreanu is blowing smoke here. There is no way for him to prove his claim. There is also no way to disprove his claim. But there is no requirement to disprove his claim. He opened his mouth and as far as I am concerned put his foot in it. He is really sounding like a small minded braggard with this claim. He is basically saying that the players in the 5-10 HLH game are big dopes and/or that he is so skillful that there is noone in that game that has a chance of taking his money. He rally sounds like a silly little boy with this claim.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Vince I think you forget how unique it is that DN basically blurts out his actual thoughts into a blog for all to see. He probably said this because it genuinely ocurred to him and he doesn't hold anything back. I am not saying I agree with him all the time but there is something I respect about it and i think is representative of the brash attitude i think all great poker players should have.

theblitz
10-16-2005, 04:06 AM
"Young" Mr. Doyle Brunson claims the same thing.

Lucky
10-16-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SEriously, why the fvck is this in here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is worthwhile, if for nothing else to show that that in limit you play your own cards, while in NL, you play your opponents cards.

Also, it gives all of us inspiration to start picking up more loose pots by reading hands better.