PDA

View Full Version : Following a good example.

suited_ace
10-14-2005, 03:06 AM
This (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3388223&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post3644210) is one of the greatest ideas ever in these forums, and I'd really like to see the STT equivalent of that.

Learning the pushbot game is fairly easy and will - at least for now - probably make you a winning player up to the $33s. Achieving results like these (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=366 4845&Forum=&Words=ROI&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3 647270&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=7361&dateran ge=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&b odyprev=#Post3664845) require a little bit more than that - it requires playing more hands and playing them well.

I would really enjoy to see the top 2+2 STT posters discussing these kind of hands, if that's not too much to ask.

lorinda
10-14-2005, 03:09 AM
I thought the idea was obnoxious enough that I haven't been back to the MTT forum since.

Lori

bennies
10-14-2005, 05:35 AM
I find the discussion useful. It is sort of obnoxious, but not as much as I had feared. The 5000 post thing is stupid, but most importantly everyone is allowed to comment on the hands.

Also, it seems Lloyd reads every single post, that's cool.

durron597
10-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Tell you what. You loosen up early, and start getting yourself into difficult yet +EV situations and post about them.

Exitonly
10-14-2005, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find the discussion useful. It is sort of obnoxious, but not as much as I had feared. The 5000 post thing is stupid, but most importantly everyone is allowed to comment on the hands.

Also, it seems Lloyd reads every single post, that's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's just 500 to submit hands to be considered for Analysis like that..

Anyone can and is encouraged to give their opinions on that hand that was picked.

---

What didnt you like about the idea Lori?

mosdef
10-14-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
like about the idea Lori?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about lorinda, but it seems to me that it would severely limit the upside of an open forum if we designate "experts" and listen only to what they have to say. it just goes against the whole idea of an open forum. and you can achieve the same thing, basically, by spending time here and figuring out the posters you like and keeping an eye out for them.

the idea has the same appeal as the old "split the forum into high/low buyin forums" idea: it saves time sorting through the bad posts (and there are lots of them). but the downside (namely shutting out the opinions of anyone not designated already as an expert) is horrible, just horrible, as bill walton would say.

Cactus Jack
10-14-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm quite enjoying it. For those of us who are struggling to improve, it's very positive.

I wish we did have some way of knowing the good players when they post. It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, the meat from the fat, the good info from the poor. Who do you trust? It's not easy for someone new to figure out who to listen to and who to ignore.

I'm disappointed Lori doesn't like it, and would really like to hear why?

CJ

bennies
10-14-2005, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm quite enjoying it. For those of us who are struggling to improve, it's very positive.

I wish we did have some way of knowing the good players when they post. It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, the meat from the fat, the good info from the poor. Who do you trust? It's not easy for someone new to figure out who to listen to and who to ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]

So for you, in a perfect world, everyone would know that you (to take an example) is not a master and thus would ignore your posts?

Cactus Jack
10-14-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So for you, in a perfect world, everyone would know that you (to take an example) is (ARE) not a master and thus would ignore your posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignoring my posts is no doubt +EV.

CJ

lorinda
10-14-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm disappointed lori doesn't like it, and would really like to hear why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people liked the idea, I think it would be unfair for me to rehash my reasoning other than I have a problem with people judging posts beyond the level that we already have.

I wouldn't leave the forum if it were introduced here, despite me saying I would at the time.

Lori

10-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I think it's a good idea. I'd like to see some early stage play from some great players. i remember raptor saying higher up the buyins the game is all about the early stages since everyone can play the push/fold game.

I enjoyed them up until the Gigabet one recently. call me a donk but i'm shoving my chips in there without all this raise-re-raise nonsense.

tjh
10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
I both liked and disliked the idea.

I like the idea of braoder discussion and more complete analysis. I dislike the idea of designating "experts".

Folks come and go on this forum. A lot of the same issues get discussed again and again. Deeper and more complete analysis can be done but the "expert" discussion expert might not be the most democratic way.

A well crafted question can lead to better discussion. A recent thread discussed number of hands played per level. A discussion of statistics such as that would be good.

I dunno.... Ask a better question and get a better answer is my advice on how to improve this forum.

--
tjh

pooh74
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm disappointed Lori doesn't like it, and would really like to hear why?

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad advice, and novice posting is what makes a forum useful..."Wrong" or "poor" advice about a hand can be corrected, and when it is, it should be accompanied by "reasons why"...it is the reasoning behind the response to poor advice that really sheds light on things. At least for me, some of the best lessons I have learned here were when I would respond to a hand with my idea, get called an idiot, and I would be told why I was an idiot and really come away with something. If you weed through all of the misery and showboating around here, at the core, is the secret to success. But it takes an adept person to be able to decipher it...thats also a beautiful thing, because not just any Joe Schmoe can come here and be a great SNG player because they know how to read.