PDA

View Full Version : classic rock?

tdarko
10-14-2005, 02:03 AM
when i am in the car i usually don't listen to the radio but when i do its usually on a classic rock station and then my next choice is one of the many alternative stations here in dallas.

a few days ago, i heard 3 songs on a classic rock station that i had never heard on a classic rock channel before.

they were:

1. alice in chains- man in the box
2. guns n' roses- paradise city
3. nirvana- smells like teen spirit

are any of these or all of them classic rock songs? i am interested to here what others define as "classic rock," is it a time period or a type of music? many arguements can be had.

Dominic
10-14-2005, 02:04 AM
all it means is, is that you're getting old. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

istewart
10-14-2005, 02:11 AM
On Q104.3 around here you will frequently hear all the early 90s rock bands. I personally don't like Alice in Chains so I would never classify them as such.

DarkForceRising
10-14-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
all it means is, is that you're getting old. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I hear the term classic rock I think of Journey, Boston, Zep etc...It's hard to believe the aforementioned stuff is 15+ years old.

asofel
10-14-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when i am in the car i usually don't listen to the radio but when i do its usually on a classic rock station and then my next choice is one of the many alternative stations here in dallas.

a few days ago, i heard 3 songs on a classic rock station that i had never heard on a classic rock channel before.

they were:

are any of these or all of them classic rock songs? i am interested to here what others define as "classic rock," is it a time period or a type of music? many arguements can be had.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not classic rock. journey and boston are not classic rock. classic rock is eric clapton, zeppelin, creedence, hendrix, the allman brothers, fleetwood, skynyrd, the stones, stevie ray and santana to name a few...

MrWookie47
10-14-2005, 02:20 AM
I think it's definitely just the fact that we're getting older. I noticed the same thing today, actually. I heard some song, "I don't wanna come back down from this cloud," that I hadn't heard in years on the classic rock station here (feel free to post the title and artist for me, because I'm far too lazy, drunk, and tired to google it). Of the songs you listed, Paradise City (and other GnR) has been a classic rock station staple for the last 5 years at least. Smells Like Teen Spirit is just starting to creep in, and deservingly so, IMO. Alice in Chains? Meh.

asofel
10-14-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's definitely just the fact that we're getting older. I noticed the same thing today, actually. I heard some song, "I don't wanna come back down from this cloud," that I hadn't heard in years on the classic rock station here (feel free to post the title and artist for me, because I'm far too lazy, drunk, and tired to google it). Of the songs you listed, Paradise City (and other GnR) has been a classic rock station staple for the last 5 years at least. Smells Like Teen Spirit is just starting to creep in, and deservingly so, IMO. Alice in Chains? Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, nirvana is NOT classic rock, as much as i loved them.

and that song is "come down" by Bush...if its classic rock then peachy is loved in OOT...(no offense girl...)

zephed
10-14-2005, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

they were:

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not classic rock. journey and boston are not classic rock. classic rock is eric clapton, zeppelin, creedence, hendrix, the allman brothers, fleetwood, skynyrd, the stones, stevie ray and santana to name a few...

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who?

ChipWrecked
10-14-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

they were:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, despite the length and girth of the cock Journey sucks, it is most certainly classic rock. And Boston? Sheeeit, you should have been around in the late 70's, dude.

newhizzle
10-14-2005, 07:02 AM
theyve been playing GNR on classic rock stations for a while now

Slow Play Ray
10-14-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
all it means is, is that we're getting old. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

imported_The Vibesman
10-14-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. At least in New England, it's common to hear Paradise City or Sweet Child O' Mine on the classic rock stations. The Black Crowes, too.

I guess they couldn't keep the same 40-song playlist forever.

What burns me is that the "oldies" stations now have the playlist the classic rock stations used to have...the hits from the sixties and seventies. There's not one station on the radio up here that still plays 50's music like Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and the old Elvis stuff. I don't know if there's many left in the country. I like to listen to this stuff sometimes, and it ticks me off that I can't on the regular radio.

FouTight
10-14-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. At least in New England, it's common to hear Paradise City or Sweet Child O' Mine on the classic rock stations. The Black Crowes, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was goin to bring up. Our classic rock station has been playing the black crowes for a few years now. I have been wondering when they achieved this status and how long they've been a band for. It always seemed to me that they were a relatively recent band.

MonkeeMan
10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

they were:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I love SRV, he doesn't belong in this list.

asofel
10-14-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

they were:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, despite the length and girth of the cock Journey sucks, it is most certainly classic rock. And Boston? Sheeeit, you should have been around in the late 70's, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i posted that last night i figured that it wasn't exactly correct in that they are classic rock, but not what I think of when someone says "classic" rock...I like boston a lot actually, but they bridge classic rock and the 80's for me more than actually represent what i think is truely classic....

and yea, gnr being classic rock is just funny to me....

drewjustdrew
10-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Black Crowes was big in late 80's/early 90's. Maybe you are thinking of Counting Crows. They are more mid 90's.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess they couldn't keep the same 40-song playlist forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
well maybe not 40 songs give the radio SOME credit /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

i guess i don't listen to the radio enough (probably a good thing) since hadn't heard GNR on a classic station before.

there are many arguements for this. i originally was kind of confused cause i thought, "nirvana? chains? this is alternative/grunge, it should be on the EDGE (our alternative station) not classic rock." i was thinking that classic rock is defined as a type of music not a year in music. this is what i have always thought and i would get be confused when 80's music would filter in the station but wouldn't think anything of it b/c i classified it has classic b/c it was artists such as the boss and aerosmith and the stones etc that had hits in the 70's as well.

i can somewhat understand GNR, but chains and nirvana aren't even really rock. nirvana not really started but "launched" a whole new scene of music and now they have moved from the alternative station (the scene they launched) to classic rock.

FWIW, "teen spirit" was played after fleetwood mac "gypsy" and before supertamp "the logical song."

MonkeeMan
10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I always figured classic rock was stuff newer than oldies but older than newies. So as the years pass, more stuff falls into the classic rock category but oldies are always songs of the 50's/early 60's. Sort of like antiques without the oldies.

FouTight
10-14-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Black Crowes was big in late 80's/early 90's. Maybe you are thinking of Counting Crows. They are more mid 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, why, I am NOT queer, but thanks for the suggestion.

drewjustdrew
10-14-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, why, I am NOT queer, but thanks for the suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. I was confused by your loc.

texaspimp
10-14-2005, 12:37 PM
tdarko, is this on ZPS? I haven't been lived in Texas for about 15 years, but ZPS and Q102 were the two stations I listened to most. And KLBJ in Austin.

zephed
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i can somewhat understand GNR, but chains and nirvana aren't even really rock. nirvana not really started but "launched" a whole new scene of music and now they have moved from the alternative station (the scene they launched) to classic rock.

FWIW, "teen spirit" was played after fleetwood mac "gypsy" and before supertamp "the logical song."

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

kyro
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
That's nothing. I heard DMB's "Ants Marching" on my classic rock station here. That had to have been a mistake.

jakethebake
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And KLBJ in Austin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I was there I could not belive Dudley & Bob were still on. What a couple of idiots.

MonkeeMan
10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And KLBJ in Austin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I was there I could not belive Dudley & Bob were still on. What a couple of idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, who wants to listen to them talk all morning?

James Boston
10-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Every "classic rock" station (forget your definition of what is and isn't classic rock) is targeting men 25-54, a huge chunk of that being 35+. A guy who was in college during the heyday, and will have fond memories of Pearl Jam, STP, Alice in Chains, etc... is now in his 30's. You will also notice that most classic rock stations have all but eliminated their 1960's catalog, as that audience has moved away from radio, or to Oldies formats. Forget trying to define classic rock, it boils down to what songs are testing well among the target demo.

bravos1
10-14-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every "classic rock" station (forget your definition of what is and isn't classic rock) is targeting men 25-54, a huge chunk of that being 35+. A guy who was in college during the heyday, and will have fond memories of Pearl Jam, STP, Alice in Chains, etc... is now in his 30's. You will also notice that most classic rock stations have all but eliminated their 1960's catalog, as that audience has moved away from radio, or to Oldies formats. Forget trying to define classic rock, it boils down to what songs are testing well among the target demo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully the best classic rock station here in the bay area (KFOX) still plays the 60s stuff. I love it, and I wasn't even born until the mid 70's.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
please elaborate.

since you didn't elaborate i guess i will. nirvana isn't rock, they are a mix of punk/alt rock and pop that comes out as grunge which isn't rock n' roll. they didn't start grunge music even though people think they did but they did "launch" it or take it to the next level or shove it to the mainstream or whatever you think is the appropriate wording. nirvana's influences are punk and ska bands and some pop bands and you hear it in their music.

when i made the comment i was making i was talking about being confused on how the grunge era could be sandwiched in between stevie nicks and breakfast in america, thats a wide range. why nirvana? why hasn't STP, soundgarden, pearl jam been on a classic rock station?

Predator314
10-14-2005, 02:06 PM
I've heard various GnR and Nirvana songs on my classic rock stations. I've never heard any AiC though. It would be sweet if I did though. Radio in WV = crappy.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
really. our station plays so many that i will just start rambling a few off the top of my head

Hendrix Albums:
Are You Experienced? 1967
Electric Ladyland 1968

Led Zeppelin Albums:
I 1969
II 1969

Moody Blues Albums:
Days of Future Passed 1967
On the Threshold of a Dream 1969
To Our Childrens, Childrens, Children 1969

The Doors Albums:
The Doors 1967
Strange Days 1967
Waiting for the Sun 1968
Soft Parade 1969

The Beatles Albums:
holy crap i can't even begin here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

there are so many more. your classic rock station seriously doesn't play songs from these albums or other great stones albums etc. from the 60's?

tdarko
10-14-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is this on ZPS?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes it is.
[ QUOTE ]
Q102

[/ QUOTE ]
was a great station but its THE EDGE now. a good station half the time.

do you remember Z-rock? that station was good and they turned it into 97.1 the eagle which absolutely rocked and now that station is gone and we have some gay JACK FM station now that sucks ass. the eagle had howard stern and played all the best music. so i basically only listen to KZPS now.

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nirvana isn't rock, they are a mix of punk/alt rock

[/ QUOTE ]
Your definition of rock is way too rigid if you can't find room for Nirvana. Or any band of similar ilk, be it grunge, punk, etc...

[ QUOTE ]
why nirvana? why hasn't STP, soundgarden, pearl jam been on a classic rock station?

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes you think they haven't? Didn't you say you haven't listened to these stations in a while?

I classify "classic" as a time frame. Clearly what you consider classic rock was not classic rock when it was released. I'm sure these stations have some sort of time frame in mind where songs fall off of a regular rotation on other channels and become part of their domain. 12 years is a long time in music, so I don't disagree that early 90's stuff is borderline classic rock at this point.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think they haven't? Didn't you say you haven't listened to these stations in a while?

[/ QUOTE ]
they might have played it you are right. for one its not like i NEVER listen to the radio, i do listen to it and i have never heard STP or any of the others and i haven't seen anyone else chime in this thread talking about hearing big empty and fell on black days on their classic rock station either.
[ QUOTE ]
I classify "classic" as a time frame

[/ QUOTE ]
this is good. you are asnwering my question.

at what point do you start losing your audience? my father can't cover a span of 30 years. he is a classic rock freak (the reason i listen to it) but when you start sprinkling nirvana in there and others you are going to lose him and i am sure others his age. why not keep early 90's with the modern stage?

TheMainEvent
10-14-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand is why classic rock stations almost instantaneously went from playing 1964-1978 to 1975-1995. There was no gradual transition period. I never remember hearing much 80s music on classic rock stations, then all the sudden I hear Blues Traveler /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I classify "classic" as a time frame

[/ QUOTE ]
this is good. you are asnwering my question.

at what point do you start losing your audience? my father can't cover a span of 30 years. he is a classic rock freak (the reason i listen to it) but when you start sprinkling nirvana in there and others you are going to lose him and i am sure others his age. why not keep early 90's with the modern stage?

[/ QUOTE ]
An interesting question. I certainly see your point. It's likely just a matter of marketing and demographics. There is only room for a certain amount of stations in most markets and this stuff has to fall somewhere. It can't stay in the modern era forever, it has to age at some point. Probably around the time that the particular demographic that the station is seeking is right around the the age that was listening to these bands at their peak popularity.

I suspect you'll start hearing some STP and others on these stations in the coming months and years. Nirvana as the bridge gapper makes perfect sense to me. While that might not appeal to those of an older generation who have a certain definition of classic rock, they will likely have to adjust unless new stations of 90s rock find a market of their own, as consumers of your father's age are likely not the top priority of advertisers.

imported_The Vibesman
10-14-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I classify "classic" as a time frame. Clearly what you consider classic rock was not classic rock when it was released. I'm sure these stations have some sort of time frame in mind where songs fall off of a regular rotation on other channels and become part of their domain. 12 years is a long time in music, so I don't disagree that early 90's stuff is borderline classic rock at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet if The Stones or Steve Miller put out an album today, most, if not all classic rock stations would play tracks off it.

I personally hate classification of music. I think it's the worst thing that ever happened to music. Some of the bands I listen to, like A3 or Poe, I don't even know where to find them. I also find it offensive that, because I like the Stones and Bruce Springsteen, someone else thinks I should also like The Eagles, Boston or Journey. These bands sound nothing alike to me.

I do always get a kick out of the music at K-Mart: They have two sections (not counting soundtracks), country and everything else. Ray Charles sits next to Christopher Cross.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do always get a kick out of the music at K-Mart: They have two sections (not counting soundtracks), country and everything else. Ray Charles sits next to Christopher Cross.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha the "popular" section!

zephed
10-14-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
please elaborate.

since you didn't elaborate i guess i will. nirvana isn't rock, they are a mix of punk/alt rock and pop that comes out as grunge which isn't rock n' roll. they didn't start grunge music even though people think they did but they did "launch" it or take it to the next level or shove it to the mainstream or whatever you think is the appropriate wording. nirvana's influences are punk and ska bands and some pop bands and you hear it in their music.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nirvana IS definitely rock. Categorize them into whatever genre you wish, but it still falls under the broad "rock" category.

Punk and grunge are also rock music.

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll)

tdarko
10-14-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
just like wiki says, so are r&b and jazz and many other genres so why do we have seperate stations for all these types of music?

why don't we just throw them all on one station since they are all rock n roll then? that ought to be interesting /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Fill in the blank:
Punk ____
Grunge ____

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
just like wiki says, so are r&b and jazz

[/ QUOTE ]
It means that rock is derivative of those forms, not the other way around. Rock started as an offshoot of R&B. Punk and grunge are simply forms of rock.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fill in the blank:
Punk ____
Grunge ____

[/ QUOTE ]
its a genre, and not the point. like zephed's little wiki link, rock n roll through tons of genres that would never even be considered to be played with the likes of a what is played right now on classic rock channels (i.e. jazz, r&b).

there has to be a point in which rock n roll is divided or the audience will be. so you are going to put punkROCK right after a beatles tune? my mom would call the station wondering why the [censored] social D is on that station.

rock n roll is too broad this is why we break it down.

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 03:32 PM
That's fine and I understand all of that. But there is nothing that is just rock. Everything that you consider "rock" I could classify into some sort of sub-genre. I'm basically still taking issue with your statement that Nirvana is not rock.

Technically, rock n' roll would be almost exclusively the Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis 12-bar blues stuff.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It means that rock is derivative of those forms, not the other way around. Rock started as an offshoot of R&B. Punk and grunge are simply forms of rock.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes and...

they are all still forms of rock n roll correct? from elvis pressley to social distortion to nirvana to the beatles to bb king to dylan right? its just a matter of what genre they fight in. this is why we have a radio station for king, a radio station for nirvana and social d, a radio station for dylan, the beatles and maybe elvis.

i mean there is a reason stations play one type of music right? to appeal to an audience, then when you add a whole new breed from another decade that has completely different influences i just don't think its going to fit in and the audience will understand it.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm basically still taking issue with your statement that Nirvana is not rock.

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry. they are rock.

i was thinking too technically when i made the comment.

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes and...

[/ QUOTE ]
just clarifying, as it seemed that you might have misinterpreted.

[ QUOTE ]
they are all still forms of rock n roll correct? from elvis pressley to social distortion to nirvana to the beatles to bb king to dylan right? its just a matter of what genre they fight in. this is why we have a radio station for king, a radio station for nirvana and social d, a radio station for dylan, the beatles and maybe elvis.

i mean there is a reason stations play one type of music right? to appeal to an audience, then when you add a whole new breed from another decade that has completely different influences i just don't think its going to fit in and the audience will understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally agree. And it works the other way. I like a lot of that 90s stuff, but I'm not going to listen to a classic rock station to listen to it. At some point there will probably be enough support for it to produce its own genre. Right now, the producers must feel that it doesn't belong with the newer stuff, so it gets lumped in with the "classic" material. I don't pretend to have a intricate understanding of the market and what it's ready for. I suspect that these huge corporations that run the radio stations do.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 03:52 PM
you think they maybe slowly introducing newer material into the playlist and then in about 5 years we will be hearing everything from what has been mentioned in this thread to weezer?

Soul Daddy
10-14-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you think they maybe slowly introducing newer material into the playlist and then in about 5 years we will be hearing everything from what has been mentioned in this thread to weezer?

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless there is demand for that sort of stuff to be its own genre with its own station, yes.

EDIT: I think it will be a gradual influx and will be fairly selective regarding what bands and songs are included, at least initially.

benza13
10-14-2005, 04:03 PM
I hate sounding like a shill, but I constantly praise satellite radio and one of the major reasons is the way they segment the music so well (Sirius in my case). There are a few different classic rock stations, and you aren't going to hear Nirvana on any of them. Nirvana is played on a few other channels, the modern rock channel, the alternative channel and a modern rock/punk/rap mix channel targetted at the skate/snowboard type of crowd. They are probably on a couple other channels that I dont listen to as frequently also. There are a variety of classic rock stations too, one is classic ~1960-1975, ~1970-1985, 80s hair rock, harder music from the 70s and 80s, and another channel that plays mostly b-sides and hard to find material from ~1965-1985. This makes it easy to find the type of music I want to listen to at that time. I stopped listening to regular radio even before I got satellite because most of the stations seemed to be really confused on what their true format was, playing classics, early 90s and newer stuff all back to back and it was hard to hear a consistent batch of good music.

James Boston
10-14-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
really. our station plays so many that i will just start rambling a few off the top of my head

Hendrix Albums:
Are You Experienced? 1967
Electric Ladyland 1968

Led Zeppelin Albums:
I 1969
II 1969

Moody Blues Albums:
Days of Future Passed 1967
On the Threshold of a Dream 1969
To Our Childrens, Childrens, Children 1969

The Doors Albums:
The Doors 1967
Strange Days 1967
Waiting for the Sun 1968
Soft Parade 1969

The Beatles Albums:
holy crap i can't even begin here .

there are so many more. your classic rock station seriously doesn't play songs from these albums or other great stones albums etc. from the 60's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it all depends on what's testing well in music research. The 60's stuff you just named tests really well. As far as the Stones go, of course we still play them. Songs like "Honky Tonk Women" and "Start Me Up" test well in the demo, while older Stones songs like "Time Is On My Side" or "Get Off My Cloud" don't test as well. I shouldn't have made such a broad statement that the 60's catlog is gone, it's just very scaled back.

Also, in markets with multiple classic rock stations, often one will lean to the older era, and the other will be more late 70's, 80's, and early 90's. In markets with only one, you won't hear the older stuff played as much.

tdarko
10-14-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, in markets with multiple classic rock stations, often one will lean to the older era, and the other will be more late 70's, 80's, and early 90's. In markets with only one, you won't hear the older stuff played as much.

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes sense. two stations, one working as kind of a middle man to eliminate that grey area...we have this in dallas (the station plays all kinds of music from david bowie to motley crue to cream).

just so you know i mentioned the stones for a reason /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bravos1
10-14-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while older Stones songs like "Time Is On My Side" or "Get Off My Cloud" don't test as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really suprises me.. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif both of those songs, and even the early 20-somethings can relate to "Get off my cloud" since it was sampled by ????? in the mid 90's.

James Boston
10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I'll be at their show in Atlanta tomorrow. Trip report to follow.

James Boston
10-14-2005, 08:09 PM
The 2+2 crowd is a more informed crowd. We're going to know pop culture stuff (i.e. older Stones songs). The population at large is different. Music testing relies heavily on familiarity. "Start Me Up" is much more recognizable than the older Stones catalog. And this stuff changes all the time. Old stuff can become "cool" again. Researchers can screw up. Our research firm forgot to test Van Halen once. Not a song, but their entire catalog. Of course, we couldn't stop playing them all together.

KDawgCometh
10-14-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do find it a bit strange that a lot of mid 60s rock is getting phased out in the age bracket that I'm in. I think someone that is in the male 25-54 bracket that listens to classic rock would want to hear that music since we don't listen to the crap that MTV deems popular and "good".

It also makes me wonder if I'm gonna have to hear weezer and smash mouth on a classic rock station in 5-7 years becasue that is what my demographic "wants", cause that makes me kinda sad if you think about it

while I think that certain bands/songs will test better, i also think that someone who wants to listen to classic rock will have no problem listening to the music that is getting phased out right now by the radio stations

James Boston
10-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Well, without boring you with every detail, classic rock will never be the 80's and beyond. Certain old songs will continue to test well, certain new songs will as well, and will get sprinkled in. In 10+ years, you might hear Weezer on a classic rock station, but you'll still hear Hendrix.