PDA

View Full Version : Monitor going black

private joker
10-14-2005, 01:25 AM
I have a PC desktop. The monitor is a Dell 17" that is about 7 years old. The tower is one year old.

Just recently, something odd started happening. Every once in a while, the monitor screen just goes black. Its power is still on and the computer is functioning normally (I can hear IMs coming in, etc.) but I just can't see a thing. Then about 15 seconds later, it comes back on like nothing happened.

Any guesses?

TheTROLL
10-14-2005, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a PC desktop. The monitor is a Dell 17" that is about 7 years old. The tower is one year old.

Just recently, something odd started happening. Every once in a while, the monitor screen just goes black. Its power is still on and the computer is functioning normally (I can hear IMs coming in, etc.) but I just can't see a thing. Then about 15 seconds later, it comes back on like nothing happened.

Any guesses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try it on another PC to confirm the issue is with the montior not the PC, but probably a soldered connection inside the monitor has failed. Does slapping it hard when it goes blank restore the picture? I really wouldn't spend much time on a screen worth about $3. Replace.

Maulik
10-14-2005, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any guesses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try it on another PC to confirm the issue is with the montior not the PC, but probably a soldered connection inside the monitor has failed. Does slapping it hard when it goes blank restore the picture? I really wouldn't spend much time on a screen worth about $3. Replace.

[/ QUOTE ]

craigslist.org will find you good used (read: cheap) monitors if you know what you're looking for.

CORed
10-14-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The monitor is a Dell 17" that is about 7 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time for a new monitor? I don't think I've ever gotten a monitor to last for 7 years.