PDA

View Full Version : isolating on a paired board

10-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Sometimes I find myself with a PP in early position (esp. blind) and the flop comes up paried over my pair while the third card is lower. Noting that the majority of the time a paired board doesn't give anyone trips, and that people like to bluff at them or bet if they pair the smaller card or bet with overcard(s), I attempt to check raise isolate if one person bets out. The isolation is usually successful, but of course I don't always win money.

ONce isolated, and if my opponent doesn't 3 bet (fold to this, no?) I usually check call it down. I figure I have a profitable hand if I cut the field, but not so if I bet.

Is this standard or stupid?

SackUp
10-14-2005, 01:49 AM
You need to bet out after you c/r this kind of flop. Often you will take the hand down righ there and more importantly you will often have the best hand. Also, depending on the player you can b/f the turn if you are raised.

There are probably a couple hands with this situation posted somewhere, just go down a couple pages.

Or post a hand you are confused on. the former being the preferred route if possible as we have so many hands up here already.

10-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Thanks. Found a good example.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#000000">
Button has Qs Ah (three of a kind, queens).
Hero has 8d 8s (two pair, queens and eights).
Outcome: Button wins 9 BB. </font>

SackUp
10-14-2005, 02:35 AM
c/r on flop is good. I might consider betting out here sometimes, though c/r is probably better with the large field.

The turn is a fairly easy b/f. This is not a real draw heavy board and not much he could be raising you with that you are beating unless he is just FOS.

Also, do not include the results in your posts as it will skew comments.

Chaos_ult
10-14-2005, 02:36 AM
I think you have to bet on the turn here. By just checking and calling, we really don't know where we're at. If you bet out on the turn, and he raises now, you can safely assume he has a queen, or ten, as long as he's not too tricky..) and can assuredly fold.