PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a correct application of "When I do not want overcalls?"

DZgroundhog
10-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Local 2/4 B&M

Reads: BB is typical loose-passive 2/4 player; seems to be better than the standard weekend B&M fish.
UTG+1 is a LAGgy tricky older guy who was teaching his wife how to play and was letting her sweat him; made a few comments to her about how his river bluff check-raise would've worked in the "bigger games" that he usually plays but he didn't want to play them tonight or something; seemed to like building big pots (3-bet with 75s, may have actually been to isolate but this is 2/4 so what was he thinking)

Hero is in SB
Hero is dealt A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="#666666"> 1 fold </font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666"> 3 folds </font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666"> 1 fold </font>, <font color="red"> Hero raises </font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="red"> Hero bets </font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666"> UTG+2 folds </font>, <font color="#666666"> CO folds </font>.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="red"> Hero bets </font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red"> UTG+1 bets </font>, Hero ????

I'd say UTG+1 is gonna bet pretty much any two cards at this point after seeing some of his crazy river bluff raises earlier in the night. I'm assuming BB would never check behind with diamond paint since I've seen him bet the river without the mortal nuts before (which is why I say he's better than the standard 2/4 player).

Is this the right time to check-raise to avoid the overcall from the BB? (which is definitely gonna happen if he has a diamond)

DZ

emitch
10-14-2005, 12:58 AM
grunching

I would say no, this is more of a "you are only going to get called (or reraised) by hands that beat you". They will not fold a diamond for a 13-15? BB pot, at least I wouldn't.

Otherwise nice hand. I like the flop and turn bet and not getting scared off by the flush board.

my 2cents

mitch

10-14-2005, 01:47 AM
I really doubt raising will force out a flush at this point at best you'll get cold-called by a BB flush wondering if you hit a bigger one and if UTG actually has a flush you're in deep trouble. I highly doubt BB would check a flush here hoping UTG would bet it for him and I can't fold to one bet from UTG with top set. Call and hope BB gives you the overcall and UTG was bluffing.

xenthebrain
10-14-2005, 08:49 AM
This strategy is only useful if the bettor might be bluffing and the overcaller might fold a better hand than yours to a riverraise.

This is not the case here.