PDA

View Full Version : Guns are Good - and Beautiful!

Zeno
05-29-2003, 03:29 PM
Just look at these babies: Guns! (http://www.kimberamerica.com/ten.php)

or these lovelies: More Guns! (http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=LF1)

And, in case you missed it earlier, the ultimate gun with a message: Best of the Best! (http://www.the-dirtiest.com/ballisti.htm)

Enjoy! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Zeno

PS And that's just the handguns!
PPS I'm suppose to be working today but I'm not.

HDPM
05-29-2003, 05:43 PM
I would not touch a Kimber. Worst pistol of any kind I have ever seen. Totally unreliable and poor customer service/quality control. I tried to procure one once upon a time and am glad the company was too incompetent to sell me a pistol since after trying to order one I had the hilarious experience of seeing a friend spend a lot of money on one of their single shot .45's. Oh, it held the full complement of cartridges, but would only fire one at a time. It would jam hopelessly after each round. Once you pried all the stuff out of it - spent casing, magazine, etc..., you could fire another round. It was accurate tho. Now a lot of people rave about those pistols. But I don't get it. They use poor components and let bad guns through. In my efforts to procure a .45 I got so utterly disgusted with a couple brands that I ended up getting an HK when I really wanted a 1911 type pistol. The HK is a product of modern engineering and is utterly reliable. You can carry the thing either cocked and locked, double action safety on, or double action safety off. You can perform all operations on the gun (loading, unloading) with the safety on. (Yes, follow all safety rules, don't hold muzzle to face while loading even w/ safety on, etc...) But it's ugly and boring and I want a 1911 even tho I have no need for it at all and wouldn't carry it very often. If I were going to get a 1911 now I would absolutely go to Springfield Armory. Their loaded 1911's are just a step below the Springfield FBI HRT pistol and have all the stufff you need. Customer service is excellent. Get 3 or 4 Wilson mags and you are good to go. BTW, hi-cap 1911's are ridiculous. I bet the mags are poor. The only mag to use in a 1911 is a wilson mag which holds one more than the original design and is totaly reliable (unless inserted in a Kimber). Kimber mags are not good. And if you can't get it done within 2 regular magazines of .45's you have a really bad problem and should have brought a couple rifles anyway. If you go high dollar 1911 consider Wilson Combat. But I'd go Springfield and just buy mags from Wilson.

nicky g
05-30-2003, 05:55 AM
"PPS I'm suppose to be working today but I'm not."

I should really put that as my signature, but I can't be bothered.

Zeno
05-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info HDPM. I checked out the Springfield Armory. I was thinking of getting a Sigarms .45 (P220) and almost ordered it pre-Christmas but decided to put it off. They are in the $800 to $900 range. But the Springfield 1911 is in the same price range and looks good and has more options. I checked out the website and you can order online. Which means any Moron can order a gun, which implies, with impeccable logic, that NOW more than ever, EVERYONE NEEDS A GUN. But back to the subject at hand, the Springfield 1911. The FBI HRT is a hefty $2400 but the TRP is “only” about $1400, check it out: TRP 1911 (http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-trp.shtml)

The all-purpose models are reasonable at around $850 or so with many options to choose from- Model 1911 (http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-fs.shtml)

Night sights or adjustable target sights or stainless or etc. Need to think about which is best for me. Also what are Novak low-mount sights? I am not familiar with this sight system. Anyway, Happy shooting.

-Zeno

HDPM
05-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Even if you order off the website you have to ship to an FFL who has to do all the paperwork Brady BS etc.... In the good ol days pre unconstitutional 1968 gun control act you could order direct. No more. Either FFL or law enforcement letterhead sale if yer LE.(You ain't)

Novak lo-mounts are excellent sights. Had them on a lousy S&W jammamatic with a bad trigger once. Bad gun good sights. No longer have that S&W. I would get novak lo mount night sights if I had my choice on that pistol. But it depends how you will use it and what you like. Regular lo-mounts are very visible and excellent for carrying. Gives a fast and visible sight picture and won't chew your flesh when carrying or catch on a draw. Regular sights never need maintenance and night sights will fail after about 10 years. I would never get adjustible sights on a pistol that I ever even contemplated using for self defense or carrying for any reason. Too fragile, too hard to see, too useless. Spgfld TRP looks great. The basic loaded 1911 is great too. The FBI pistol is overpriced and unnecessary. We asked a very honest and competent Spgfld customer service person about the difference between the TRP and the FBI pistol and she said not enough to justify the price difference. Friend of mine got a Spgfld and it is an excellent pistol. A sprigfield .45 with nightsights is an excellent pistol, period. Can't go wrong. I would swap the mags with wilson's though, and keep the stock mags for extras.

If you were thinking of Sig, just be sure you are comfortable with single action pistols. If you aren't the Sig is a good choice. I don't like sigs particularly, but they are top quality.

As for options, there is a company where I live that makes custom grips. Their 1911 grips are great and they can do custom laser designs in them. You can get a nice custom wood grip with a design and not have it make the pistol look like something you carry to guard a whorehouse on sunday. I have not purchased any grips from them, but have been to their shop and have seen their work. Good stuff. They do grips for some pretty big companies. That is the only option I'd do aftermarket.

scalf
05-31-2003, 06:43 PM
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif hd..just wondering...???

what would martha burk think of this thread???

lol

gl /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

HDPM
05-31-2003, 08:50 PM
This is my pistol, this is my gun.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

HDPM
06-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Don't look if you can't take a joke or are Michael Moore, Martha Burke, or Sarah Brady. No it's not (too) obscene, but it is good anyway. web page (http://www.gunchicks.com/rchicks/jenn-olivia/11jenn-olivia.jpg)

P.S. Zeno, that .45 might be a springfield.

P.P.S. Some rules of gun safety are being violated in the pic and it could set a bad example for the kiddies if you let them play with guns. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Zeno
06-02-2003, 02:26 AM
Hot babes, Hot Guns, and a Hot Summer Night make for One Hot Time. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif And Very American- Great Post. All in all correctly done. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

-Zeno