PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendation for those who are learning.

johnnybeef
10-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I just picked up Phil Gordon's book, and have found it to be more valuable than hoh 2. He adresses a bunch of concepts that action dan does not that I have learned either from these boards or through playing. It is imo the perfect compliment to all of you who have enjoyed hoh, and are looking for a little more.

C-Dog
10-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Are you referring to the Little Green Book?

C-Dog

johnnybeef
10-13-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to the Little Green Book?

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

10-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Examples of some concepts?

johnnybeef
10-13-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Examples of some concepts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind stealing and bubble play are two that come to mind, although, i havent finished it. Also, he has a nice section on tells (several of which I did not see in Caro's book.)

10-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Intriguing. You have just sold me.

KneeCo
10-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Excerpts and hand charts (http://lgb.philgordonpoker.com/index.php?q=node/15)

There's been some discussion in the Books forum. Good buzz, I haven't read it.

Edit: some discussion from the Books forum (mainly about his charts) (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3574835&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

Also, a couple of people have told me that Gordon's Final Table Poker DVD is good. Though again, I wouldn't know first hand.

TomHimself
10-13-2005, 10:30 PM
when did this book come out?

betgo
10-13-2005, 10:40 PM
I'll have to read it. Thought it was maybe low content.

"No Limit Holdem" by McEvoy and Daugherty is also a decent book less advanced than HOH.

Cactus Jack
10-14-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to read it. Thought it was maybe low content.

"No Limit Holdem" by McEvoy and Daugherty is also a decent book less advanced than HOH.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what made HOH so valuable to me. It's not for beginners, so the stuff isn't dumbed down to play these hands, fold these hands. There is very little out there for intermediate to advancing players. A lot more for the fish...assuming the fish read.

Where does Gordon's book fall on the scale?

CJ

betgo
10-14-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what made HOH so valuable to me. It's not for beginners, so the stuff isn't dumbed down to play these hands, fold these hands. There is very little out there for intermediate to advancing players. A lot more for the fish...assuming the fish read.

[/ QUOTE ]

A year ago there was very little advanced or otherwise on NLHE tournament play. There was Cloutier and McEvoy and some other worthless books and some sections in more general books. I think decent less advanced books are also valuable.

cwsiggy
10-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I like Gordon's book. Just finished it. I would say HOH 1 and 2 are musch more in depth on tourney play and more advanced overall. Gordon's book is more broad, though it also focuses on tourney play. What's nice is you can just flip to any page and refresh a lesson on nl. Greatest poker bathroom book ever.

betgo
10-14-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite advanced according to this quote from the editorial review on Amazon.com:
[ QUOTE ]
A book to rank with Doyle Brunson's Super System and David Sklansky's The Theory of Poker, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book deserves a spot on the shelf of every serious student of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]