PDA

View Full Version : Own a tent factory? Help Pakistan relief.

PhatTBoll
10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I got this email from a guy who was a few years older than me who was in my fraternity. He sent it out to a lot of guys who were in the house and other people he knows. He apparently works for the Pakistani government now and is helping with the relief effort. I thought I'd post the email as a shot in the dark kind of thing. Obviously I don't expect anything to come of this, but if it does, neat. I X'd out the phone numbers and addresses to avoid silliness. If you really think you can help somehow, PM me.

Dear All,

Firstly, thanks for your various inquiries about my family's well being during this time when Pakistan and this region is facing one of the worst crisis of it's history. With the grace of God, we were far enough from the epicentre to only be mildly shocked by this monstrously devastating act of nature. For the past week or so, me and most local friends and family members are pretty much focussed on whatever we can do for relief efforts.

I am now writing because I just got a call from the Prime Minister's Office (@12:15 AM Pak Time). Given the worsening weather situation, the Pakistan Government needs 100,000 tents urgently, and all local manufacturers are exhausted. The Pakistan Air Force has C-130 transport aircraft on standby to collect tents from any location in the world. While location is not an issue, any location closer to Pakistan is probably preferable, i.e. India, Middle East, Far East, China, Israel, etc. The Pakistan Government has enough funds to pay for these urgently required tents on terms that will be suitable to suppliers.

I humbly request you to please call any tent manufacturers in your country and find out the maximum number of tents that can be supplied. I think that the minumum number in one consignment should be enough to fit into a C-130 Transport. Please keep in mind these consignments are needed in the next 24-36 hours, as it is life or death situation.

Please feel free to call me on my Cell number at any time if you have any substantial source - +XXXXXXXXXXXX. SMS and e-mail will also be regularly checked. In case I am not available (due to shuttling b/w Lahore & Islamabad), please feel free to call Mr. Adil Akbar, who is a coordinating official at the Prime Minister's Office. His numbers are +XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, Fax number is +XXXXXXXXXXXXXX or Mobile number is +XXXXXXXXXX. His e-mail is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Please send quotations directly to his office. Given the seriousness of the situation, please only make result-oriented calls (Brothers, no offence!!). Also, the entire Paksitan Foreign Ofice has been alerted of this requirement, so I am sure that something will come out of this and other public broadcasts.

Thanking you for your contributions, prayers and well wishes to alleviate the suffering people in this region.

With warmest regards,
Omer

p.s. Please feel free to forward this e-mail.

Omer Iqbal Wahla
Executive Director
RIST International
5-A Gulberg 2
Lahore, Pakistan
Tel: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Fax: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
e-mail: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STLantny
10-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Weird.
I actually just got about 200 tents, from single person pup types, to 6-7 person ones. If this isnt a scam, pm me. Are they buying them, or do they want them donated?