PDA

View Full Version : Would you fold this JJ overpair on the turn?

ResidentParanoid
05-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Loose, passive, fairly straightforward LL online table. 1 player in MP is a little aggressive, but he folds on the flop and doesn't play a large role in the hand:

I am UTG with J/forums/images/icons/club.gif, J/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif: I raise, EP, 2MP and button call, SB folds, BB calls; 6 to the flop.

Flop is [ 7/forums/images/icons/heart.gif, 4/forums/images/icons/spade.gif, 3/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif]: Checked to me, I bet, EP and 2MP call, button raises, BB calls, I re-raise, EP calls, 1 MP folds, 1 MP calls, button caps, all call.

Turn is T/forums/images/icons/spade.gif [ 7/forums/images/icons/heart.gif, 4/forums/images/icons/spade.gif, 3/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif]: checked to MP who bets, button raises, BB calls 2, I fold, EP folds and MP calls.

River is K/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif, T/forums/images/icons/spade.gif [7/forums/images/icons/heart.gif, 4/forums/images/icons/spade.gif, 3/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif]: checked to button, who bets, BB calls, MP folds.

Would you re-raise the flop?
Would you call the last raise on the flop?
Would you check-fold the turn?
What did the winner have?

Mangatang
05-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Preflop, I would limp with JJ in a loose/passive game (looking to flop a set). With JJ, you want either few players (1-2) or a lot of players (5+). The worst case is 3-4 players, which is what a raise in a loose/passive game tends to result in.

Flop re-raise is fine. After the cap, I suspect you're up against a set.

Turn, good fold. After a bet and and a raise, get out.

slavic
05-29-2003, 01:45 PM
The flop reraise told you set or he flopped the straight with 56s. When raised and reraised to you, I think you made good use of the information you paid for.

Unless the guy is just a maniac. Then I think you have to pucker up and call it down.

Nottom
05-29-2003, 03:57 PM
0) You didn't ask this, but in this sort of game I would limp with JJ UTG since raising doesn't limit the field much.

1) Yes I would re-raise the flop, you have no legit reason to think you are beat yet.

2) Yes you have to call getting something like 32-1 on your bet.

3) I think the turn fold is good.

4) I suspect he had 77 but 56 is likely as well.

ResidentParanoid
05-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Results: Button had 4 4 for a set on the flop, BB had Ks 6s.

The raise on the turn made the fold pretty easy for me. If there's no raise on the turn, would you call 1?

Mangatang
05-30-2003, 12:59 PM
You're right. The raise on the turn made for an easy decision. If there was no raise, I probably would have called down (and lost a couple more big bets as it turns out).