PDA

View Full Version : Flush over flush

jsnipes28
10-13-2005, 08:03 PM
How often does flush over flush happen. I can't really remember it happening to me before at all, but i lost two buy-ins today with a lower flush.
For instance, if the flush comes on the turn, villain bets, u call/raise and a blank falls on the river. Villain checks, are u checking behind here or are you pushing?

I suppose the only tihng that calls a turn raise, assuming he is a half decent player, is a set or a higher flush. So are you losing more to a higher flush than you recoup from a set by betting/pushing. Do you guys ever fold an 8 or ten high flush to a bet on the river?
Appreciate any comments or advice.

10-13-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How often does flush over flush happen. I can't really remember it happening to me before at all, but i lost two buy-ins today with a lower flush.
For instance, if the flush comes on the turn, villain bets, u call/raise and a blank falls on the river. Villain checks, are u checking behind here or are you pushing?

I suppose the only tihng that calls a turn raise, assuming he is a half decent player, is a set or a higher flush. So are you losing more to a higher flush than you recoup from a set by betting/pushing. Do you guys ever fold an 8 or ten high flush to a bet on the river?
Appreciate any comments or advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gauge your hand strength relative to opponents' hand, using the sequence of bets etc to determine their hand.

Example: someone raises preflop, check/calls flop of 8s Js 9d, goes bonkas when another spade hits, you can put them on the nut flush or minimum K high flush.

Generally it's best to chase a flush it's to the nut flush, so there's no difficult decisions to make.

10-13-2005, 08:38 PM
When in doubt just go all in...See what happens

pokernicus
10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
The answer is 'it depends.' If stacks are deep and if your opponent generally has been sensible, then you need to tread much more carefully if you're holding a baby flush and your opponent has pushed.

In the instance you suggested of the Villain checking the river (after a third flush card falls on the turn and you show aggression), I would typically go for a value bet on the river.

Here's the rationale. Most people notice when three cards of the same suit are on the board, and are likely to be a little more skittish about calling with marginal holdings or even betting reasonably good hands.

If he bet on the turn (trying to represent the flush himself), and you played back at him, he is more inclined to put you on the flush. If he checks to you on the river, I would interpret that much more as a sign of weakness than of deception.

Therefore, a super large bet on the river (unless you have a maniac image that your opponent was paying attention to) is not so likely to get called.

If you make a small/medium-sized value bet on the river, you can likely get a worse hand to call. (It depends in part on what hands you can put him on; e.g., if he has top pair, he may be more likely to call a larger bet.)

If you get check-raised on the river, then you have to re-evaluate based on exactly how large/small your flush is, whether he has played the hand consistent with a bigger flush, his capability of bluffing (though he would have to be a little crazy to stone-cold bluff in hopes that a small flush would fold, since it takes a lot to fold a small flush), and also how deep the stacks are.