PDA

View Full Version : Computer illiterate wants to add monitors to laptop....clueless,

JMP300z
10-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Ok...simple, overdone Q but I really would like someone to take the time and spell out some options for me:

I have a Gateway laptop that is a few years old that my dad got for free for ordering supplies from some company ([censored] i cant even figure out what model) with like 28gb hd that im using almost all of, 1.33 ghz, 256 ram, celeron processor. It barely supports running winamp, pt, gt, party and aim but it somehow manages, sometimes it freezes up and spazzing when PT is loading data or trying to access any of it. It probably has some virus's, but its been functional (sometimes freezing than unfreezing a bit but no crashes or major problems).

When I go to settings I can change it to add another monitor and then I can change the resolution to a bunch of options. I think its an intel Graphics Controller 1??? anyways, normally I cant make the resolution bigger than 1024x768 but when i add the other monitor i have the option of increasing it but is it the increased combined resolution or the extra monitor. Also I have 3 plugs in the back that look like a printer, somethin and somethin, one i assume can fit a monitor right?

ANYWAYS, my laptop sucks and I am willing to fork over some $$ to buy a new setup w/ dual monitors to 8 table or more. PLZ help me give me some options! Laptop or desktop. I dont even know where to start when buying a computer. I was at best buy today but that seemed stupid to buy from there?? I want something good, bug free, streamlined etc. Help!

Thanks in advance!

-JP

Link774
10-14-2005, 09:14 AM
I don't get your question, you want to add a monitor or get a new laptop? Yes, you can just plug in a monitor to your existing monitor and fiddle with the settings a bit to crank up the resolution on both displays. As far as new laptops go, I have a Dell 9300 with a very high resolution screen (1900x1200) which is good for 4-tabling with no overlap. You could hook up another monitor to that as well. If you want to spend a little less look at the 6000, it has a smaller screen (15.2" instead of 17") but it should also fit your needs.

JMP300z
10-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Either use my existing which im starting to think is a bad idea or buy a new one (good idea!)...the 15 inch monitor can fit 4 tables w/ no overlap??

-JP

Link774
10-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Mine can't. I just use the 2nd monitor for scoping out new games now that party lets me open more tables. It depends on the maximum resolution of your video card and the monitor.

JMP300z
10-15-2005, 11:35 AM
with the dell 6000 i have the option of wuxga...am i correct that this goes up to a resolution that will allow 4 tables w/ no overlap even on a 15'' monitor?

Im also looking at the desktops...Not sure about my needs except that it was recommended to get 1GB Ram and a decent graphics card. Other than that, not sure if anything else is that important for my needs.

thanks for you help link!

-JP