PDA

View Full Version : Legality of selling open source software

STLantny
10-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I dont think this really pertains to the tech forum, but what is the legality of selling open source software (that runs on linux). The way I understand it, I can sell it for whatever I want as long as I include the source code?

Boris
10-13-2005, 06:38 PM
I think this thread makes you banworthy.

STLantny
10-13-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? I havent had time to get my hands on a copy of the "copyleft" law. But redhat/mandrake etc sell linux, so whats the difference?

stabn
10-13-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like the GNU public license is easy to google or that there are other well known sites that have silly discussions about these things. And it's not like there are licenses besides the license that linux uses that might say, have other rules.

STLantny
10-13-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like the GNU public license is easy to google or that there are other well known sites that have silly discussions about these things. And it's not like there are licenses besides the license that linux uses that might say, have other rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic towards me or what? I read the GPL, and from what I understand, what my OP said (you can sell as long as you include source etc), is true? I just wanted verification of this.

mason55
10-13-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think this really pertains to the tech forum, but what is the legality of selling open source software (that runs on linux). The way I understand it, I can sell it for whatever I want as long as I include the source code?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can sell it. The problem is that you have to make the source available to anyone you sell it to and they are free to do whatever they want with it. Also, since I assume you'd be downloading it for free from somewhere, the people who buy it from you would also be able to download it for free from the same place, correct?

STLantny
10-13-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can sell it. The problem is that you have to make the source available to anyone you sell it to and they are free to do whatever they want with it. Also, since I assume you'd be downloading it for free from somewhere, the people who buy it from you would also be able to download it for free from the same place, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course, but I found a really nice program, that I can setup up a remote view/web based etc closed circuit Tv system, and a few of hte restuarants I work for asked me to put something together for them, so the way I figure, I can save myself about 500$, in software cost, because I have the knowledge to get mysql/linux/this software up and running, and I can pocket that money...most of the more robust software that controls these cameras and stuff go for like 1k-1500. And most of the owners, dont have hte time/experience/brains, to do much with the software...so I guess Im charging mroe for my time than anything...

MrTrik
10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason is correct. Whoever buys it can do what they want with it as long as they also release under GPL. This feature protects your business proposition a bit. Also, if you ever modify the code yourself and start distributing another version you need to make that version available to anyone who bought the product (and source) originally.

mason55
10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes of course, but I found a really nice program, that I can setup up a remote view/web based etc closed circuit Tv system, and a few of hte restuarants I work for asked me to put something together for them, so the way I figure, I can save myself about 500$, in software cost, because I have the knowledge to get mysql/linux/this software up and running, and I can pocket that money...most of the more robust software that controls these cameras and stuff go for like 1k-1500. And most of the owners, dont have hte time/experience/brains, to do much with the software...so I guess Im charging mroe for my time than anything...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfectly fine. As you said, you're really charging for you time/expertise. This is how companies like Red Hat survive.