PDA

View Full Version : Rebuy Tournament Question(s)

Eric Draven
10-13-2005, 05:39 PM
This is probably a stupid question.

How many rebuys are commmon (per player) in your average rebuy tournament? I'm thinking about doing one, but don't want to put too much money out on one, or waste money on one by not rebuying enough, etc.

Also is it suggested to play supper LAG trying to build a stack, since you can keep rebuying? I've heard of Negranu and Ivey playing as such, and a few players in other posts have implied that it's not bad (Raptor comes to mind).

Rickyroodido
10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I gamble alot and rebuy 1-8 times, or until I atleast tripple up. If the other players have wealthy stacks and im at the start, I take the "addonrebuy": but you need to have less then the starting stack to do so (atleast at primapoker where I play). Im always taking the addon.

NiR
10-13-2005, 05:50 PM
well i always take the addon. i use about 3-7 atleast.

ZBTHorton
10-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Including the add-on...I am extremely happy if I spend less than 5.

nath
10-13-2005, 05:59 PM
I double rebuy to start and gamble as much as I think I can to try to get a big stack in the first hour.
I always take the add-on.
So sometimes I only use three buy-ins. Sometimes, 10-12 or so.
As with all things, "It depends".

(My favorites are the people who don't double rebuy. Especially if they bust 3 or 4 times and then quit. Thanks for pumping up the prize pool!)

ZeroPointMachine
10-13-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also is it suggested to play super LAG trying to build a stack, since you can keep rebuying? I've heard of Negranu and Ivey playing as such, and a few players in other posts have implied that it's not bad (Raptor comes to mind).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this has gotten completely crazy online. "Super Lag" in a WSOP tournament and what you see in the typical online rebuys are two completely different animals. There is no such thing as playing looser and more aggressive than the typical online re-buy table. The good news is that most of the players don't change gears when they get a big stack. They are more than willing to call your all-ins because you are "lagging it up". I personally think the best way to play these is to quitely exploit the lags.(lag really isn't even close to the right term)

Play your game. Be a little more liberal with your calling range. Anytime you feel you have the best hand put all your chips in because you will be called. Get a read on which players have repect for their chips and which don't. Don't try to push anybody off a pot.

The great thing about the rebuy tournaments is that they allow you get ahead of the blinds and actually play semi-deep stack poker during the 2nd and 3rd hours. You don't need to get 20K in the first hour. 3-4K plus the add-on is plenty to allow you time to out play the fish after the rebuy period.

I play most rebuys for 3 or 4 buyins. More than 7 is really rare.

betgo
10-13-2005, 07:24 PM
I generally take the initial rebuy and addon. Usually that is all I need, because the stakes aren't that big by the end of the rebuy period. A lot of people play loose, so if I have a big hand and people are willing to go allin, I will. Sometimes I get busted and double rebuy.

In a rebuy supersatellite, I may not take the initial rebuy. I try to avoid even gambles and rebuying. If the structure is real fast like with some Paradise supersatellites, where the blinds at the end of the rebuy period are more than half the buyin, I can go through a lot of rebuys, but I try to avoid it and just make it through the rebuy period.