PDA

View Full Version : Jacks in Level 1, ($22)

10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
I was totally up the creek on all streets. Do I reraise pf? What if I get checkraised on the flop, do I push or call a push? What about the turn, fold-call-raise; and why? River, I think this is an easy check, is it?

Comments please

#Game No : 2871419202
***** Hand History for Game 2871419202 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:16560116 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Thursday, October 13, 17:08:36 EDT 2005
Table Table 67299 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 2: MadtownTilt ( $775 )
Seat 8: flickman38 ( $675 )
Seat 4: JohnTorrio ( $1185 )
Seat 9: LesPoisson ( $790 )
Seat 5: alportorange ( $850 )
<font color="blue"> Seat 6: castanza_g ( $775 ) </font>
Seat 3: FGBIII ( $985 )
Seat 7: hunnybaby79 ( $800 )
Seat 10: ccsoftware ( $1165 )
Trny:16560116 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to castanza_g [ J /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
<font color="red"> ccsoftware raises [30]. </font>
MadtownTilt folds.
<font color="green"> FGBIII calls [30]. </font>
JohnTorrio folds.
alportorange folds.
<font color="blue"> castanza_g calls [30]. </font>
hunnybaby79 folds.
flickman38 folds.
LesPoisson folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ] POT=115
<font color="red"> ccsoftware checks. </font>
<font color="green"> FGBIII checks. </font>
<font color="blue"> castanza_g bets [100]. </font>
<font color="red"> ccsoftware folds. </font>
<font color="green"> FGBIII calls [100]. </font>
** Dealing Turn ** [ A /images/graemlins/club.gif ] POT=315
<font color="green"> FGBIII bets [55]. </font>
<font color="blue"> castanza raises [125] </font>
<font color="green"> FGBIII calls [70]. </font>
** Dealing River ** [ 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ] POT=565
<font color="green"> FGBIII checks. </font>
<font color="blue"> castanza_g checks. </font>

Results:
<font color="white"> FGBIII shows [ Ts, Ks ] a pair of nines.
castanza_g shows [ Js, Jh ] two pairs, jacks and nines. </font>

ace_in_the_hole
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
When you make that small turn raise, what range are u putting villain on? I think this is a good raise if read him as way behind.

sofere
10-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I really don't like the way this hand was played.
PF - Limping Jacks is very weak when you have position after the flop. I don't mind limping this in early position and playing for set value, but when you have positon on 2 limpers, pop this up to about 120-150.

Since you limped, you have no clue what these other guys have. The flop bet is good, I like 75-100 here, but once you're called, you can't get too attached to the hand. The call looks like a flush draw, a pair of 4s or overcards, thinking you're on a continuation bet, as a set of 9s will probably raise, but once that overcard hits, I'm hoping for as cheap a showdown as possible. I call his 55 and call a small bet on the river.

My guess without looking at the results is he had A4, Axs or AT-AQ

pineapple888
10-13-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was totally up the creek on all streets. Do I reraise pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Please allow me to quote myself from another recent JJ post involving a limp. I think my points are just about equally applicable to a minraise on L1:

"One reason is to drive out random flops where you can go broke against junk. (See "reverse implied odds" if you want the theory.)

The other reason is to clarify your hand, so it's much easier to make a decision on the flop.

The other reason is to drive out as many overcards as possible with a strong but vulnerable hand.

The other reason is to create a strong table image.

The other reason is that shallow stacks create low set value.

I guess that's enough. Lecture over."

[ QUOTE ]

What if I get checkraised on the flop, do I push or call a push? What about the turn, fold-call-raise; and why? River, I think this is an easy check, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take a shot on the flop. If you get check-raised, there's no magic formula, you just have to go with your instincts at that point.

Once I'm called on the flop, I'm just trying to check it down. I flat-call the small bet on the turn, don't see any point to your small raise.

10-13-2005, 06:51 PM
I raised because I wanted to see a free showdown. Another benefit is if he's on a draw he doesnt see a cheap river. And if Im reraised I can be pretty sure I'm behind and fold.

If he has an Ace and I called the turn, the pot would be 425 and he'd probably bet 100-200, maybe more. I raised 70 more which is alot cheaper. Because of the strength I've shown on both streets he should be checking weak aces and monsters(in hopes of trapping) on the river. If his hand is weaker then a pair of jacks, then he's not putting anymore money in anyway. So I win the maximum and lose the minimum.

Is my thinking flawed?

patrick dicaprio
10-13-2005, 06:57 PM
ugh. reraise preflop!!! the turn play is ugly. you have to raise more here. your raise is too small and he is correct to call with a draw only. when you are up against a draw feel free to play the turn strongly, i do, and i dont mind getting all in. if they miss you cant get chips on the river and you will oftne get them to take the worst of it on teh turn because they assume they will get a lot of chips on teh river when a third spade comes.

the way he played this hand he obviously didnt have an A. so why not bet the river and hope he calls???

Pat

patrick dicaprio
10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
there is no way he is betting that small with an A. he has to have a draw here most of the time. once he calls hero's raise you can be pretty sure all he has is a draw and no ace. i would be shocked if he had an A here.

Pat

pineapple888
10-13-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raised because I wanted to see a free showdown. Another benefit is if he's on a draw he doesnt see a cheap river. And if Im reraised I can be pretty sure I'm behind and fold.

If he has an Ace and I called the turn, the pot would be 425 and he'd probably bet 100-200, maybe more. I raised 70 more which is alot cheaper. Because of the strength I've shown on both streets he should be checking weak aces and monsters(in hopes of trapping) on the river. If his hand is weaker then a pair of jacks, then he's not putting anymore money in anyway. So I win the maximum and lose the minimum.

Is my thinking flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, this all went straight over my head. Which, not to be arrogant, probably means it went straight over your opponent's head as well, so he won't do what you think.