PDA

View Full Version : The Sucker Project 1.0

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
My game has apparently gone to [censored].

I am embarrased because I used to have it all together, and I was thought of as a respected poster. Those days have gone. New people have come to the board, and as far as they are concerned I am a raving lunatic of bad beats, complaints, and a shakey temperment.

My goal is an ongoing "project" to get my game back to where it was and better. I have played more SnGs then 95% of the people who frequent this board.

I have so many bad study habits, and now I have no one to blame but myself and bad luck.

I am going to pretend that everything I know about SnGs is wrong, and start from scratch for the most part. I am going to post Full HHs and also hands of importance.

I hope to attach a few respected posters to this project and really get the forum involved.

OK getting started...

I will be 4-tabling 10+1 party SnGs in sets of 4. I can't afford to play 1 ata time. If I can't beat the 11s 4tabling then I shouldnt be playing this game.
I will be using a super-tight early/pushbot late strategy.

This project will be what we make of it. It has potential to fix my game and help anyone in the future going through a similar situation.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
dude, take a week off or something. go out with friends, go take a girl to a movie, have dinner with your parents, watch reruns of seinfeld. anything that's not playing poker. you might be over analyzing the situation too much, and trying to force things that don't need to be.

Apathy
10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I think you should take some time away from SNGs and play NL cash games

pooh74
10-13-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think thats good advice (the second part that is). I don't know about sucker, but NL cash is the last thing I should do when I am down in the dumps about my SNG game. At least in an SNG, I can only lose the buy-in.

GtrHtr
10-13-2005, 04:21 PM
This may be a very helpful project to refocus yourself. My only weak recommendation is to change your avatar to something else or back to the old chip.

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 04:30 PM
time off time off time off...

I have to have some form of income. I could get a job, and I have considered it. I even wrote an email to a place I used to work, asking if they needed help with the season. That is extremly humbling.

Even with everything being as bad as it is I am still able to make ends meet with poker. I ran into a kink when one of my affiliates seems to have stopped paying... he owes me I think 3 months worth of rakeback...I havent worked all of this out yet, but I am at my patient breaking point. I am being positive that I will get paid, because my affiliate is a 2+2er.

go out with friends

Dont really have any. I jump at the chance to go out and meet new people when I get the chance, playing online poker for a living is very hermiting.

go take a girl to a movie
If it weren't for my girl I don't know where I would eb right now. We had some rocky times not long ago, but she has been an absolute pillar for me lately. She puts up with my ranting and my breakdowns.

have dinner with your parents

They live on the east coast, I live West Coast.

watch reruns of seinfeld

Been watching a lot of Cartoons and TV in my spare time. I went from seeing hardly any star trek to being an absolute nerd treky.

I tried this , and after my first bad beat I stopped. I thought it would be nice to play some easy NL and clear a bonus. Party/skins have made bonuses hardly worth it now. I want to focus on a low variance game with limited BR needed. SnGs are the place for me right now.

10-13-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I can't beat the 11s 4tabling then I shouldnt be playing this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. LOL!

In all reality I like the sounds of this project. Take it down bro!

Bigwig
10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm beginning to believe that the 'tear down everything you know and rebuild' approach should be a quarterly exercise for all players. At least semi-annually. I think it's healthy. As long as you don't tear down the good parts, of course.

microbet
10-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

10-13-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good idea to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That confirms it.

You now, HAVE to go ahead with this plan stupidsucker.

LOL!

pooh74
10-13-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm beginning to believe that the 'tear down everything you know and rebuild' approach should be a quarterly exercise for all players. At least semi-annually. I think it's healthy. As long as you don't tear down the good parts, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most +EV thing I ever do. It's usually immediately preceded by an hour long session of crying and throwing pillows against my couch..."Ooh, I am really hurting the couch, take that!!"

I love poker...

The Yugoslavian
10-13-2005, 04:43 PM
This is almost sort of what UMTerp does every 10k or whatever...I wonder if there *is* merit to revitalizing your game through a cyclical dropping down.

Yugoslav

pooh74
10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is almost sort of what UMTerp does every 10k or whatever...I wonder if there *is* merit to revitalizing your game through a cyclical dropping down.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can do that w/o tearing down the game itself...dropping can be part of it, but I think going back to very ABC poker for awhile is the crux of it, no matter what level.

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 04:46 PM
OK then,,, any advice to get things started?

Pitfalls to beware of?

I will be playing my first set starting around 3:30-ish PST

Bigwig
10-13-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pitfalls to beware of?

I will be playing my first set starting around 3:30-ish PST

[/ QUOTE ]

I just suggest study time. Review your auto plays. You know, I raise these hands from x position at y levels. I push in this spot. I reraise this hand vs. this position, etc.

I believe in having a firm starting ground. This keeps me from some of the prolonged losing streaks I've seen on these boards (I've really only ever had one bad one, just one losing month (and not much) in two years of play). Then, you adjust this standards based on opponents, table image/flavor, and stacks.

zipppy
10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Good luck, SS.

Switching to a new format can sometimes aid in getting rid of old stigmas of the correct way to play. for example, if you're used to playing party (10 person, 800/1000 starting chips), maybe you could switch to pstars (9 person, 1500 starting). It forces you to make adjustments, so getting the mindset of starting from square one might be easier to do. Maybe not, but I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there...

>>>ZIPPPY

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I really appreciate all of the suggestions for time off, switching things up etc..

I have taken time off, but I can only slack so much. There comes a time when you must face things even when you don't want to. Now is that time for me.

I may reconsider swithing formats, but not until after I give this a solid try.

What I need to help on my game, not a new game. I am at the tail end of my BR... I can't afford to experiment or take large blocks of time off. The world spins and it requires money for each orbit. I am short stacked and on the bubble. It is time to steal , not be passive.

10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am short stacked and on the bubble. It is time to steal , not be passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good qoute.

Hey man PM your screen name for Party Poker, would be interesting to sweat you and see how are you making out.

Good luck bro.

sofere
10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is time to steal

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you got a back up plan /images/graemlins/blush.gif

zipppy
10-13-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is time to steal

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you got a back up plan /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

REL18
10-13-2005, 05:09 PM
The best play in poker is stealing the blinds now i dont mean raising em out i mean just getting up grabbing the blinds and running when u steal the blinds u cant lose its always +ev at least in the very short run.

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 05:12 PM
My party Screen name is

TehBluffman

JudoGirl
10-13-2005, 05:14 PM
stupidsucker, my Party SnG hasn't gone to sh*t, because it has been sh*t since I started it (this month, hehe). I'd love to track your progress and learn anything I can from your exercise, and I'd like to sweat you if you PM me your screenname. I'm determined to master the Party $11 SnG...not for the money, but for the challenge (and hey, a few bucks in the pocket would be nice too).

I consider myself successful at the UB $11. But Party is kicking me in the behind.

Scuba Chuck
10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pitfalls to beware of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, no advanced level concepts. If you're on the bubble as the bigstack, and there's a shorty who has 1 chip, don't move allin with any two cards, when some other guy makes a raise. THEY DON'T FOLD.

microbet
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
I think the $11s vary far more from table to table than the $22s-$55s.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
computer games? (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/index.html)

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pitfalls to beware of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, no advanced level concepts. If you're on the bubble as the bigstack, and there's a shorty who has 1 chip, don't move allin with any two cards, when some other guy makes a raise. THEY DON'T FOLD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adjusting to lower limits again has indeed proved more challenging then I thought. I am always itchy to play my bigstack.

microbet
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Ok, this is probably a crazy suggestion, you probably shouldn't really do it, just do it as a thought experiment, but play some play money games. That would cure you of fancy plays.

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
computer games? (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/index.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a big gamer /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I was a guild leader in EQ.

Those days are long behind me now. I am assuming the link is due to my screename?

johnnybeef
10-13-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have to have some form of income. I could get a job, and I have considered it. I even wrote an email to a place I used to work, asking if they needed help with the season. That is extremly humbling.

Even with everything being as bad as it is I am still able to make ends meet with poker. I ran into a kink when one of my affiliates seems to have stopped paying... he owes me I think 3 months worth of rakeback...I havent worked all of this out yet, but I am at my patient breaking point. I am being positive that I will get paid, because my affiliate is a 2+2er.

go out with friends

Dont really have any. I jump at the chance to go out and meet new people when I get the chance, playing online poker for a living is very hermiting.

If it weren't for my girl I don't know where I would eb right now. We had some rocky times not long ago, but she has been an absolute pillar for me lately. She puts up with my ranting and my breakdowns.

watch reruns of seinfeld

Been watching a lot of Cartoons and TV in my spare time. I went from seeing hardly any star trek to being an absolute nerd treky.

I tried this , and after my first bad beat I stopped. I thought it would be nice to play some easy NL and clear a bonus. Party/skins have made bonuses hardly worth it now. I want to focus on a low variance game with limited BR needed. SnGs are the place for me right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

go get a job waiting tables for a while. it will cause you to actually earn your money, and put into perspective how fortunate you have been over the last several years. furthermore, it will provide you with a steady income, and a solid group of friends. I know well over 1000 people in this city my age. I'd say 60% of it came from being in a big fraternity in a big college town, but at least 40% has come from the 3 years that i worked in restaurants. The restaraunt industry is basically a bunch of people who are just out of college, but are not ready to give up on that part of their life.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 05:44 PM
you still live in the c-bus? i'm sorry. what part? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

microbet
10-13-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

go out with friends

watch reruns of seinfeld

[/ QUOTE ]

go get a job waiting tables for a while. it will cause you to actually earn your money, and put into perspective how fortunate you have been over the last several years. furthermore, it will provide you with a steady income, and a solid group of friends. I know well over 1000 people in this city my age. I'd say 60% of it came from being in a big fraternity in a big college town, but at least 40% has come from the 3 years that i worked in restaurants. The restaraunt industry is basically a bunch of people who are just out of college, but are not ready to give up on that part of their life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugg. Ugg. Ugg. Ugg. And Ugg some more.

beeyjay
10-13-2005, 05:55 PM
scuba sounds like a guy who moved from the 55s to the 33s... how many times do i need to say it this is muy -ev.

10-13-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the $11s vary far more from table to table than the $22s-$55s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

microbet
10-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Come down to SoCal, do my job for me, I'll pay you 25% more than you would as a waiter, and I'll play poker.

ewing55
10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Hey Stupid (or should I just call you Sucker?),

Sorry about that, had too, couldn't stop myself.

You want some tough love? Sounds like you need it (along with a lot of the rest of us. Me included!)

Make a committment to:
1) Post 3 complete HH's a day. Pick them off your hard drive immediatly when you are done playing. Just do it randomly, DON'T PICK THEM. I'll bet your problems are not where you think they are.
2) Then review AT LEAST 5 complete HH's with SNGPT. Every hand possible.
3) Then go to bed and relax.
4) Wake up to a bunch of "You're such an idiot" posts about your hands. (Of course everyone will say that about my comments too! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif )
5) Reply, ask questions about those posts (or just be ashamed you're such an idiot...that's usually what I do when reading posts. haha)
6) Go outside for a little while and enjoy life and let you brain do a little thinking WITHOUT YOUR HELP!
7) Fire up a couple SnGs and PROFIT!!!

You are a good player. You know how to do this. You have just gotten a little off track and need a swift kick in the butt. I'll bet the threat of a bunch of 2+2er's reviewing your HH's saying you are an idiot is enought to get you back on track.

One of my worst days was playing, not paying attention, goofing off, executing Fancy Play Syndrome to the max and then my coach shows up in the chat box! Talk about embarassing. I was so ashamed that I had someone helping me out, working for me, and I WASN'T DOING MY PART!

That instant when coach said "I'm watching" fixed my game a bunch! D I owe you man!

I think I'm a very good player, but I also know I can lose a bunch of money real quick by doing stupid things.

When this Party stuff all happened, I started playing and also reading 2+2 at the same time and stressing over what to do and how to proceed. I lost over $300 in 2 days. (Let's see, RB for the month = ~$450 and I lost $300 plus what should of been about $200 profit for those two nights. Yep, I'm stupid. You do the math. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif )

We're here for you. Besides, you need to get better so you can return to the WSOP and do well and then buy me one of them Dell monitors. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-----------------Jeff (Kitty_Liquor, HappyDog55 on Party)

PS. HappyDog55 will be watching!

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

creepy.

The Yugoslavian
10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">Happy!</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Yugoslav

johnnybeef
10-13-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come down to SoCal, do my job for me, I'll pay you 25% more than you would as a waiter, and I'll play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

cmon, the guy needs to go out and meet some people. sitting in front of a computer 24 hours a day isnt the way to go (as opposed to the 10 that i do /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

The red is from when HappyDog55 writes it with sucker's blood?

The Yugoslavian
10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

The red is from when HappyDog55 writes it with sucker's blood?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Yes it is.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yugoslav

10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Good luck!

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Looks like I won't be playing any poker today... Maybe one set.

I will be goign to a BBQ with plenty of free THC to intake.

That is exactly what I need right now.

MegaBet
10-13-2005, 07:57 PM
If you're sick of the bad beats, I'm not sure that the $11s are the best place to start again. You will be expecting a high ROI, and probably will get it after a lot of games, but you'll be sucked out on again and again. Not good for mental stability!

stupidsucker
10-13-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're sick of the bad beats, I'm not sure that the $11s are the best place to start again. You will be expecting a high ROI, and probably will get it after a lot of games, but you'll be sucked out on again and again. Not good for mental stability!

[/ QUOTE ]

I could start at the 22s, but wou8ld you seriously recommend a "new" player start at the 22s instead of the 11s?

I have about $1200, but with no rakeback, I have no buffer.

I plan to move to the 22s quickly, provided my game is in tact.

Nicholasp27
10-13-2005, 08:10 PM
get rakeback and play the 22s
u have plenty of bankroll

GtrHtr
10-13-2005, 08:31 PM
nice to see you took my weak advice, nice new avatar. 2d one I thought of, play your 11s on the skins.

stupidsucker
10-14-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nice to see you took my weak advice, nice new avatar. 2d one I thought of, play your 11s on the skins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been playing about half and half trying to get a feel for the skins. At the 11s I really dont see a difference other then the haste they start.

The avatar I have up is my original avatar. I may have had one before the sucker, but I cant remember. I thought the original avatar fit the bill perfectly. Superstion-wise I played my best poker during the JapArnoldmercial avatar.

Big Limpin'
10-14-2005, 01:21 AM
i have always associated you with a diffrent one, what you had when i first joined the forum.

it was the funny looking dude with a plaid sweatervest, holding a book or something.

how's about a retro appearance of that one?

* <font color="white"> and Yugo will always be that pseudo-erotic Peja </font>

stupidsucker
10-14-2005, 03:15 PM
The Sucker Project 2.0 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3674967&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=&amp;vc=#Post3674967)