PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pokerstars regulars

Freudian
10-13-2005, 03:06 PM
So I'm playing a SnG and once it is HU the other guy asks if I want to chop? That happens often?

pokerlaw
10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
i've seem it happen at the $500 turbos, but never on a game i've been in.

Freudian
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've seem it happen at the $500 turbos, but never on a game i've been in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have chopped. Afterall the difference between 1st and 2nd for the 15+1 turbos is $27.

I said no because I like living on the edge.

Jbrochu
10-13-2005, 03:16 PM
It's only happened to me once in 10 months, but it was at a $55 which I thought was kind of strange since we're talking about small $$$.

10-13-2005, 03:16 PM
If you feel you are the better player, a chop would be incorrect.

Jbrochu
10-13-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I said no because I like living on the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Sidekick
10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
I have had it happen to me once in over 2k SNGs this year. I cannot tell you if I'm the exception or the rule as far as frequency goes, but I suspect it is just really rare for others to ask for a chop in the SNGs.

I always figured that deals for chopping the pot are done because folks are hedging their bets with the time/difficulty in reaching a final table in a multi. But those issues really don't apply in a SNG, so why bother chopping?

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-13-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have had it happen to me once in over 2k SNGs this year. I cannot tell you if I'm the exception or the rule as far as frequency goes, but I suspect it is just really rare for others to ask for a chop in the SNGs.

I always figured that deals for chopping the pot are done because folks are hedging their bets with the time/difficulty in reaching a final table in a multi. But those issues really don't apply in a SNG, so why bother chopping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some heads up games last forever. By chopping, you both get better than 2nd and can immediately fire-up another game. I have always played on Party and this will soon be an option there. I recently got a Stars account and did not know they do this. But it seems to me to not be a terrible option... unless as someone said you are the better player... but even then you could still finish 2nd...

Eric Draven
10-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Only happened in about a year and a half... Then again I play 10s

Freudian
10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Problem is that you have to mail the support and they will come to the table. If there was a chop button I would start thinking about doing it.

Based on the few turbos I have played the blinds escalate so fast that you probably would lose time if you chopped.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Problem is that you have to mail the support and they will come to the table. If there was a chop button I would start thinking about doing it.

Based on the few turbos I have played the blinds escalate so fast that you probably would lose time if you chopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case you're probably right... it does not sound faster...

Sidekick
10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Well, the one time this year it happened to me, the other player was a very respectable player and the blinds were very high. We agreed to the chop and then agreed that the winner would send 2nd place finisher the difference in the cash between 1st and 2nd place. We then just both pushed until we had a winner.

Took a measure of trust in the other player rather than rely upon support, but it worked out just fine for me in this instance and was much quicker than having to contact support.

bluefeet
10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the one time this year it happened to me, the other player was a very respectable player and the blinds were very high. We agreed to the chop and then agreed that the winner would send 2nd place finisher the difference in the cash between 1st and 2nd place. We then just both pushed until we had a winner.

Took a measure of trust in the other player rather than rely upon support, but it worked out just fine for me in this instance and was much quicker than having to contact support.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this a few times...was it you?! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roman
10-13-2005, 04:11 PM
it happens quite often at the higher levels when two respected people play HU who can trust eachother. They simply go all in and winner transfers loser the difference.

psyduck
10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya think?

10-13-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there was a chop button I would start thinking about doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be cool as hell. Like you could start a vote, and it'd have to be unanimous. Provided it was, the purse would be split.

Bigwig
10-13-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm playing a SnG and once it is HU the other guy asks if I want to chop? That happens often?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do it frequently. The reason was that I could only play two stars tables at one time on the computer that I had, and that heads up battles on Stars can last a looooooong time. I had one go for over 100 hands once. It was crazy. I just wanted to chop and get another game started.

10-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I've chopped maybe five times at levels $27-$109. I usually take the chop if the other guy wants it and I have many tables running. I have never done it through support, but I've always received the split.

There is not much you can do if you don't get the money so you have to trust the other guy or ask if you can do the exhange.
If I don'f feel I have an edge it's nice to chop with big blinds.

-Skeme-
10-13-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly.. sometimes in the Turbo SNGs, both opponent's are handicapped due to the gigantic blinds. I'd be willing to chop if it was just going to be a crapshoot.

Indiana
10-13-2005, 06:17 PM
I do it all the time

Indy

housenuts
10-13-2005, 06:44 PM
it might have been me. i always ask to chop at the $15+1 turbos as a joke.

bawcerelli
10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
someone asked me to chop a 15+1 stars turbo too. i said no because if they're asking to chop, they're probably not very good. unless like the post above me did it as a joke. i finished 2nd in that tourney!!!!!

10-13-2005, 08:42 PM
All the time. I think it's a good idea at times, but not because I feel inferior to the other guy. I think I'm as good as anyone I play most of the time, but these things are crapshoots at the end and there is another factor.

Even if I think I can beat the guy, cause he'll lay a hand down, I have more chips, etc...I play these to make money and if it takes me 15 more minutes to have a 70% chance of winning 10% more of the prize pool, I think that's -EV for me. I'll make more money chopping and moving on to the next one. I think it's funny to offer it, get turned down and then beat them. I think too many people see it as a sign of weakness...well, good luck with that.

durron597
10-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I feel like my HU edge is very high against a large percentage of opponents. So I would have to believe for some reason that this opponent was particularly good at HU for me to accept a chop (I have never yet done it).

Exitonly
10-13-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly.. sometimes in the Turbo SNGs, both opponent's are handicapped due to the gigantic blinds. I'd be willing to chop if it was just going to be a crapshoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're better than him, chances are you'll crapshoot better than he will, it might just take a longer/bigger sample size for the difference to show..

So, if you are better than him, and the short term results aren't crucial, it's stupid to chop.

The smaller the blinds, the quicker your better play will show a difference.

Exitonly
10-13-2005, 08:50 PM
[Poster is an idiot]

durron597
10-13-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Very large edge my ass. Mr. 50/50 distribution for 1st and 2nd.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

More like 60/40...

Exitonly
10-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Son of a bitch.

I've read 3 posts on this forum today.

and i confused the authors.

Ignore me, i'm a jackass

(i've read your other post, and fnord's, and yea i'm a tool)

bleh