PDA

View Full Version : Rocky VI Underway

samjjones
10-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Is This A Good Idea? (http://www.thisislondon.com/films/articles/20625597?source=Daily%20Mail)

10-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Why call it Rocky 6? Why not celebrate Stallone's age, by calling it Rocky 60?

imported_The Vibesman
10-13-2005, 02:24 PM
It would seem like a better idea than the fourth Rambo movie, which that article mentions Stallone is trying to get made.

Everyone hates Rocky V, I didn't think it was any worse than Rocky IV. No matter how bad it was, the bit with Mickey screaming in his head as he tries to get off the pavement is good.

"What are ya doing down there? I didn't hear no bell! One more round, Rock...Mickey loves ya."

imported_The Vibesman
10-13-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why call it Rocky 6? Why not celebrate Stallone's age, by calling it Rocky 60?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shortsighted. Then what would he call the 60th Rocky movie when it comes out?

samjjones
10-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I concur that Rocky V has its moments. Unfortunately, most of them are centered around the unintentionally hilarious performance by Tommy Morrison. Rocky V might be the most quotable of all of them, actually.

Phoenix1010
10-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Is he going to fight, or is it about his son? Have their been any halfway decent modern sequels to any of the classics? Hollywood just can't leave a good thing alone, I'll be avoiding this movie out of protest.

manpower
10-13-2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Rocky_t-shirt_bum_link.jpg

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone hates Rocky V, I didn't think it was any worse than Rocky IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're usually dead on, but wow...this is just blasphemy.

Duke
10-13-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I concur that Rocky V has its moments. Unfortunately, most of them are centered around the unintentionally hilarious performance by Tommy Morrison. Rocky V might be the most quotable of all of them, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no way.

If he dies, he dies. I must break you. Hit the one in the middle. My Prediction? PAIN.

As an aside, I think it's time for a "Movies" forum.

~D

Duke
10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have their been any halfway decent modern sequels to any of the classics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Batman Begins kinda fits into this category.

~D

utmt40
10-13-2005, 02:50 PM
http://data.over-blog.com/lib/5/4/83045/pics/movie93.jpg

Phoenix1010
10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Oh that's a pretty good one. Unfourtunately for every Batman Begins there are five Terminator 3's.

jdl22
10-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Does Rocky keep getting his ass kicked by lesser opposition but keep fighting because he believes the lord wants him to once again be undisputed heavyweight champion but there's not a chance in hell he will win even one belt then at the end he gets banned from boxing because he's too old and his skill level has diminished and they ban him for his own good?

ptmusic
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
As long as Frank Stallone sings, I'm paying.

-ptmusic

swede123
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. Rocky IV is such a superb 80s action flick, while Rocky V is just poo.

Swede

10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apollo dies, and Rocky flies to Russia sans Adrienne to train for a fight with a 6'5" killer, on Christmas? How is this not better than a movie with an HIV+ guy and a Don King wannabe?

It all boils down to which movie has more screen time for James Brown, and that is hands down Rocky IV.

Yeti
10-13-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh that's a pretty good one. Unfourtunately for every Batman Begins there are five Terminator 3's.

[/ QUOTE ]

T3 was waaaaay more fun than the snoozefest that was BB.

Duke
10-13-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is extremely difficult for an opinion to be incorrect, but you have succeeded where most others fail. Jolly good.

~D

10-13-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is he going to fight, or is it about his son?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck no, his son isn't gonna fight! His son would be too old to fight anymore!

How ironic..

manpower
10-13-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

T3 - User Rating: *******___ 6.9/10 (35,990 votes)
BB - User Rating: *********_ 8.3/10 (56,667 votes) top 250: #112

Shajen
10-13-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

sans Adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea.

imported_The Vibesman
10-13-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Apollo dies, and Rocky flies to Russia sans Adrienne to train for a fight with a 6'5" killer, on Christmas? How is this not better than a movie with an HIV+ guy and a Don King wannabe?

[/ QUOTE ]

It all boils down to which movie has more screen time for James Brown, and that is hands down Rocky IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to stir the pot a little. Maybe saying that Rocky V is no worse than Rocky IV is going too far...but I think Rocky IV is a pretty damn bad movie. Getting past everyone letting an exhibition bout between a huge Russian killer and a retired fighter get to the point where the retired fighter gets killed, we have a heavyweight champ flying to Russia to fight on Christmas for free. BS. The ridiculous montage involving the juxtaposition of their training methods. Since when is Paulie qualified to be in his corner anyway? The Russian crowd starting to root for Rocky at the end, sure, that'd happen. The "If I can change, you can change," speech after he wins. This film is one long piece of cheese. It's an enjoyable piece of cheese in some ways, especially to those of us that are tremendous fans of the first Rocky film(s).

I'll admit, I went too far. Rocky V is definitely worse. It's not even really watchable until the last half-hour, but right when Tommy goes back to the old neighborhood to goad Rocky into fighting, and knocks down Paulie ("You shoulda left him on the street where you found him,"), I start enjoying the movie. And I'm a sucker for any bit with Mickey in it.

Maybe that's why I didn't like Rocky IV as much as some other guys did. No Mickey.

Admittedly, I hadn't thought about the James Brown angle. That is a fantastic point. Any film with James Brown has got to be better than...well...any film without.

Yeti
10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

T3 - User Rating: *******___ 6.9/10 (35,990 votes)
BB - User Rating: *********_ 8.3/10 (56,667 votes) top 250: #112

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh fk! I take back everything I said. You have obviously proven me wrong.

flatline
10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Color of Money is the only one that comes to mind.

imported_The Vibesman
10-13-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one I thought of, but it's really not even that good, very overrated movie, especially in comparison to The Hustler, which is just brilliant. I guess Color of Money could be described as half-decent though.

The new Superman Returns looks like it'll be interesting.

Maybe any Bond fans could comment on the new films vs. the old ones. I'm not really a fan of either, tho I have seen a bunch of them.

swede123
10-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Vibesman, bro. You have to see Rocky IV for what it is, a really great bad 80s movie. It shares this honor with lots and lots of movies from the 80s, that have turned into classics not because of their qualities but because of their severe cheesiness. Meanwhile, Rocky V is just a bad movie. I think that's why everyone is going nuts about your statement.

Swede

Bradyams
10-13-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Russian crowd starting to root for Rocky at the end, sure, that'd happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one part of that movie that really pissed me off. There is no way that would happen.

swede123
10-13-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Russian crowd starting to root for Rocky at the end, sure, that'd happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one part of that movie that really pissed me off. There is no way that would happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

But a 6'6" dude would get smacked around by a 5'6" Stallone. Come on guys, the appeal of IV is that nothing makes sense.

Swede

Voltron87
10-13-2005, 04:42 PM
I haven't seen any of the Rocky movies.

10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is grounds for banishment from OOT.

samjjones
Whoa...lets slow down here. Nobody is insinuating Rocky V is anywhere near as entertaining as Rocky IV. IMO, Rocky IV is definitely the most rewatchable of all five (Rocky III is close behind). It does have its merits, however.

swede123
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is grounds for the death sentence in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shajen
10-13-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict: PAIN.

samjjones
10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Maybe, if I can change....and you can change....someday...Voltron can change.

ptmusic
10-13-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whoa...lets slow down here. Nobody is insinuating Rocky V is anywhere near as entertaining as Rocky IV. IMO, Rocky IV is definitely the most rewatchable of all five (Rocky III is close behind). It does have its merits, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocky (I) isn't more watchable? It's actually a great movie.

-ptmusic

samjjones
10-13-2005, 05:00 PM
No. Rocky is definitely a great movie, but it has to spend so much time on character development and the Rocky/Adrian romance that it is a chore to tune into the end. Rocky IV, on the other hand, benefits from already having all of its characters well-defined, and can jump right into fantastic subplots like Rocky's kid aging 10 years in one movie, Rocky and Apollo becoming best friends, James Brown's showstopping tour de force, and Paulie getting a robot.

swede123
10-13-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocky (I) isn't more watchable? It's actually a great movie.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's arguing that IV is a better movie than the original, rewatchability doesn't always mean a better movie though. Of course The Seven Samurai is a better movie than Office Space, yet I feel the urge to watch Office Space much more often.

Swede

samjjones
10-13-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's arguing that IV is a better movie than the original, rewatchability doesn't always mean a better movie though. Of course The Seven Samurai is a better movie than Office Space, yet I feel the urge to watch Office Space much more often.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry...I thought this was a given. For instance, "Apocalypse Now" is a great movie, but I'd much rather watch "Road House" for the 782nd time when I'm sitting around with friends drinking a few beers.

McGahee
10-13-2005, 05:03 PM
The 2nd round of the fight simply makes Rocky IV a classic.
If you don't get chills watching Rock pummel the Russian after the bell rings, followed by each corner storming the ring & throwing chairs...well, that's just good cinema.
"He's cut! The Russian is cut and it's a bad cut!"

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 2nd round of the fight simply makes Rocky IV a classic.
If you don't get chills watching Rock pummel the Russian after the bell rings, followed by each corner storming the ring & throwing chairs...well, that's just good cinema.
"He's cut! The Russian is cut and it's a bad cut!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on. Clearly the best line was: He is not a man, he is like a piece of iron.

samjjones
10-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Interesting piece of trivia: the guy who played Drago's handler also played "Count Malachi" on "Happy Days". Us oldtimers (30+) can appreciate that.

DeezNuts
10-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Right now the movie is actually being titled "Rocky Balboa" and not Rocky 6. It has a tentative release date in February 2006 but has been moved around a bunch of times, which is never a good sign for any film(sometimes leads to releasing straight-to-video or dropping the project all together).

DN

samjjones
10-13-2005, 05:12 PM
How can this be true? Its almost the middle of October, and they haven't even started filming yet! That would be one of the quickest turnarounds in film history if they got this thing out the door by February.

DeezNuts
10-13-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can this be true? Its almost the middle of October, and they haven't even started filming yet! That would be one of the quickest turnarounds in film history if they got this thing out the door by February.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my bad. I meant February 2007. Sorry about that.

DN

Blarg
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was unexceptional but a good fun watch. I would much rather have seen Schwarzenegger's head go into the toilet than the girl's, though. I'm sure he could have one of his best stupid taglines ever after pulling his head out of the toilet, too.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was an amazing turd, especially compared to the original. The disappointment everyone felt in Scorcese after that movie was so thick you could cut it with a backhoe.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry...I thought this was a given. For instance, "Apocalypse Now" is a great movie, but I'd much rather watch "Road House" for the 782nd time when I'm sitting around with friends drinking a few beers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, watching that one twice would be tough going for me.

samjjones
10-13-2005, 05:38 PM
http://movienetwork.tv/content/thumbnails/roadhouse.jpg

Pain don't hurt.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I want to see him as a boxing commentator. He could be like a more respectful, less drunk Larry Merchant. They both speak at about the same speed, and like Larry, he could write out a bunch of silly metaphors on napkins to read during a fight, and then screw them up while everyone tries to just move along without comment or lets out a snicker.

Rocky Balboa trying to route complicated high-falutin' eloquence through Philadelphia street speak and pugilistic brain damage would be worth hearing on any fight. He could go on riveting old man non-sequiturs about how prunes are helping his bowel movements and such, and sometimes mistakenly think he had been in the match and won the fight, and grab the belt and hold it up in the air triumphantly.

I'd watch a fight with Rocky Balboa as borderline senile commentator any day.

Hal 2000
10-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Coming up.. Pongo's review of Rocky Five.... Thousand.

Mick: Did ya fight last night?
Rock: Yeh.
Mick: Did ya win?
Rock: Yeh.
Mick: Yeh, who'd ya fight?
Rock: Spider Rico.
Mick: Heh, heeee's a bum.
Rock: You think everybody I fight is a bum.

Xelent
10-13-2005, 08:59 PM
They need to go strait to Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge!

RRRRICK
10-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Rocky is one of my all time favorite films. It was Stallone breakthrough film and since then he has only made one other credible film, First Blood.

That fact that he has gone on to star in a long list of formulaic drivel probably tarnishes what was and still is a wonderful piece of work.

Rock VI is total lunacy

utmt40
10-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Let me say this before you watch this...I am a big Rocky fan and this is just plain funny.

Check this out...pretty funny turn on the volume (http://www.spoil-sports.com/RockyVI.htm)

imported_The Vibesman
10-14-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vibesman, bro. You have to see Rocky IV for what it is, a really great bad 80s movie. It shares this honor with lots and lots of movies from the 80s, that have turned into classics not because of their qualities but because of their severe cheesiness. Meanwhile, Rocky V is just a bad movie. I think that's why everyone is going nuts about your statement.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go with that. It seemed to me people were trying to say that Rocky IV was on a level w/ Rocky, Rocky II and even Rocky III.

I can watch the first three Rocky movies constantly, and have, but the fourth and fifth, I can't really watch over and over again. Just bits and pieces, for the laughs or the chill factor.