PDA

View Full Version : Am I on to something or was this just good variance?

aargh57
10-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I recall a post a little while ago where Wookie said a good strategy to try was to start playing at full ring tables when they only have a few players in them and then take advantage of the players that don't adjust to playing with less people. I've tried that strategy and like it but the problem (on the bigger sites like party anyway) is that the tables fill up pretty quickly so you only have that advantage for a short while. Anyway, I was clearing the True Poker bonus this week and during the daytime they often only had 1 table going but sometimes other players would sit down with me HU or 3 or 4 handed. I found that it was very easy to beat these guys HU just playing an aggressive style like in HPFAP. I think one of the reasons that they were willing to play HU is because they have some tournament that requires x number of hands played so this was a good way for them to get qualified for the tourney. Anyway just thought I'd see if anyone else does this type of strategy.

Bacchus
10-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I tried it before, but the problem that I've found when trying to clear bonuses is that the blinds obviously come around quicker in smaller games. So you have to make sure that your win rate increases in proportion to the blinds that you are paying.

aargh57
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried it before, but the problem that I've found when trying to clear bonuses is that the blinds obviously come around quicker in smaller games. So you have to make sure that your win rate increases in proportion to the blinds that you are paying.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a problem HU or SH. Your opponent is in the same situation. Often times they will check and let you see the flop for free when your in the big blind but you will make them pay whith your better hands. I think this is kind of the same concept as why 6max is so profitable against players that don't adjust. Also rake is less of a factor as you have less hands raked. (Granted, this is not good for bonus clearing)

imported_CaseClosed326
10-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Variance? Maybe. But this strategy does work though. Players who are decent in a full ring sometimes can't do anything right heads up. So you can easily take advantage of this. Plus playing heads up is alot of fun, and a good change of pace from the full ring grind.