PDA

View Full Version : Best Disney animated movie.

pudley4
10-13-2005, 01:33 PM
These are on constantly at my house (5 year old son + 2 year old daughter = cartoon heaven /images/graemlins/laugh.gif), so I definitely have my own current opinions.

I broke these up into 2 categories - the first 16 are the *Classic Disney* movies; the last 16 are more *Modern Disney* movies. I had to cut some out to keep it at 16 each (The Rescuers, for example). These are all *Disney Masterpiece* movies (Disney's own designation). The numbers do NOT represent any type of seeding or ranking

Blarg
10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Junglebook is the best. Funny and imaginative, and most importantly, the songs are not only exceptionally good but don't constantly intrude and stomp all over the movie. They're a great spice, not a main course. The best of the bunch comes from back when Disney made comedies, not musicals/romances. The songs then were bright points, not downtime.

Shajen
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Wow, I don't have any kids, and yet I've seen almost every movie on this list.

WTF?

SL__72
10-13-2005, 01:45 PM
The animated Robin Hood is by far their best work. Not only is the movie awesome but the music is too. Its all sung by Roger Miller.

M2d
10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
where is Song of the South?

namknils
10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
You mentioned your son and daughter, but not your wife. I don't any kids yet (son on the way), yet I own most of these movies already because my wife loves them.

samjjones
10-13-2005, 01:47 PM
This is a good poll, but it needs to be properly seeded if you are doing an elimination style kind of thing.

Phoenix1010
10-13-2005, 01:48 PM
The Lion King tramples all over the competition in every regard. The rest are playing for second, although OOT has shown poor judgement in the past.

namknils
10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
I prefer Aladin over the Lion King.

M2d
10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
damned children. fantasia (the original) rules.

istewart
10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Lady and the Tramp or Dumbo for me. I loved those when I was a kid.

The Lion King and Aladdin were also good, but of course, very gay as well.

Mulan makes me LOL.

BCPVP
10-13-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. How is Dumbo even with it?!

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The animated Robin Hood is by far their best work. Not only is the movie awesome but the music is too. Its all sung by Roger Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've watched this twice in the last week and I agree.

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good poll, but it needs to be properly seeded if you are doing an elimination style kind of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this was a bad format choice. A free-for-all would have been better methinks.

Soul Daddy
10-13-2005, 02:39 PM
My favorites are Alice in Wonderland and Fantasia, but that could be the drugs talking.

IndieMatty
10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Little Mermaid/Aladdin

swede123
10-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Some tremendously brutal matchups in the "classics" section. Snow White is totally THE Disney movie of all time, yet Robin Hood is one that I have the greatest memories of, along with Pinochio. I just bought Cinderella for the wife (and future little ones), as it was out on DVD for the first time ever, haven't gotten around to watching it yet though. Nice idea for a poll, by the way!

Swede

RunDownHouse
10-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Sword in the Stone isn't getting any respect at all here. Its a top-5 for sure. I think Alice in Wonderland may be the best of them all, but its pretty hard to choose among the top ones.

"Archimedes! You're alllll WET!"

vulturesrow
10-13-2005, 02:50 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Some tremendously brutal matchups in the "classics" section. Snow White is totally THE Disney movie of all time, yet Robin Hood is one that I have the greatest memories of, along with Pinochio. I just bought Cinderella for the wife (and future little ones), as it was out on DVD for the first time ever, haven't gotten around to watching it yet though. Nice idea for a poll, by the way!

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Some of the matchups are not well done. But props for the post.

drewjustdrew
10-13-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen about 5 of these movies, but I voted in every category. In only one category had I seen both movies.

mmbt0ne
10-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Definitely not enough Beauty and the Beast love in here. Come on people, it was nominated for Best Picture!!!1

I refuse to vote in that last collection of abortions.

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely not enough Beauty and the Beast love in here. Come on people, it was nominated for Best Picture!!!1

[/ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy but Beauty and the Beast and Lion King did nothing for me.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only because angela lansbury is a gmilf.

lucas9000
10-13-2005, 03:14 PM
fantasia needs to win this.

swede123
10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Of all the "recent" Disney movies listed only Aladin is even worthy of being named in a category close to the classics. It's not in the same ballpark, but it is in the same league, while the other recent movies aren't even the same sport.

Swede

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy but Lion King did nothing for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're crazy, stupid lady.

lucas9000
[ QUOTE ]
Little Mermaid/Aladdin

[/ QUOTE ]

i just lost some respect for you.

imported_CaseClosed326
10-13-2005, 03:16 PM
I can't believe sword in the stone is losing.

lucas9000
10-13-2005, 03:17 PM
i think the winner of this contest should face off against the secret of nimh.

the secret of nimh wins.

swede123
10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
The Sword in the Stone is pretty sweet, but you can't discount the awesomeness of 101 Dalmatians. I mean Cruella DeVille is pretty much the model for every female villain in every animated movie since.

Swede

M2d
10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the secret of nimh wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
watership down's rabbits would kick nimh's mice's asses.

MonkeeMan
10-13-2005, 06:21 PM
It's losing, but I think Lady and the Tramp had the best animation of them all, excluding the computer generated ones, which is like comparing dicks and dildos.

ClassicBob
10-13-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen about 5 of these movies, but I voted in every category. In only one category had I seen both movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible. If you haven't seen both movies, you should leave it blank.

An exception is made for the Lion King, as it clearly pwns whatever bullshit it's up against in the first round.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The voices are good, but this is otherwise way down on my list.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disney is no longer releasing versions of it or showing it anywhere due to racial concerns.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Lion King tramples all over the competition in every regard. The rest are playing for second, although OOT has shown poor judgement in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the Lion King is far and away their best of the past 25 years or so.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I refuse to vote in that last collection of abortions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a big fan, and Angela Landsbury's voice is really unappealing to me.

Too much music, and much more schmaltzy and dull than the movie it ripped off. See the French original, if you haven't already. It's one of the best movies ever made.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the secret of nimh wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
watership down's rabbits would kick nimh's mice's asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron Giant.

peachy
10-13-2005, 06:35 PM
u OFFICALLY rule for making this post!!!! its such a hard decision for me!!!! ggrrrr

Emperors new groove is by far the funniest though!

of course almost half the ones i voted for are way behind...guess they are more "girl" geared /images/graemlins/frown.gif

i own every single one of these and im 25 and watch them alot!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

last week when Cinderella came out for the 1st time ever one DVD i bought it THAT DAY!

2+2 wannabe
10-13-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I came to this thread just to vote for the lion king

ranked 10th?!??!?!? please

CieloAzor
10-13-2005, 06:46 PM
For me, there's 2 great classics (Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone), and two great newer ones (Aladdin, Lion King). Sword in the Stone's probably too obscure to overcome a tough opponent like 101 Dalmatians though. That one's good as well, so I can't blame anybody for backing it, especially if they haven't seen SitS. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

peachy
10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the secret of nimh wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

aawww!!!! i have this movie too!!! i loved it as a child!!

I think my mom wanted to kill me b/c id watch that and Dark Crystal and Labrynth over and over and over and over along with The Sound of Music

was Fievel the mouse (Fivel goes west, an american tail, etc) was it a disney movie??? i liked those too...

ok nope looked it up...not a disney movie...but i still liked it!

In more recent movies though I lovedddddd Ice Age and Monsters Inc.....TOO CUTE!!!! and of course Finding Nemo - me and my roomie would actually go to kid movies on release day no matter what they are!

Reef
10-13-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the secret of nimh wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

that movie was awesome. I also can't help but feel 'The Hobbit' also deserves a wildcard entry, even though it's not Disney.

peachy
10-13-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disney is no longer releasing versions of it or showing it anywhere due to racial concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]

what and when was this?

peachy
10-13-2005, 06:54 PM
ok...what was the cartoon with the thistle bushes? a bear? and a bird? i remembering singing in it and one of the characters being evil/sneaky....why cant i remember this movie? what was it?

swede123
10-13-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok...what was the cartoon with the thistle bushes? a bear? and a bird? i remembering singing in it and one of the characters being evil/sneaky....why cant i remember this movie? what was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who's ever gone through the ride "Splash Mountain" at Disney Land/World at least know about the main characters of this fine movie.

Swede

Blarg
10-13-2005, 07:01 PM
What and when? You mean you don't know the movie?

If that's what you mean, it's the one with Brer Bear and Brer rabbit, and Uncle Remus, the old black dude, singing songs in live action while mixed with the cartoon characters. Some of them were really good and catchy, like the famous Zippity-Doo-Dah song. But oversensitive people could possibly twist around his less than perfect diction and grinning hap-hap-happiness to be racially demeaning. So now Disney has decided not to re-release this one again.

Seems like a mistake to me; Remus wasn't an Uncle Tom, just annoyingly happy. But his songs and stories rocked. And as for his intelligence, well, he was a storyteller and an old wise figure, not a Stepin Fetchit kind of fool.

peachy
10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What and when? You mean you don't know the movie?

If that's what you mean, it's the one with Brer Bear and Brer rabbit, and Uncle Remus, the old black dude, singing songs in live action while mixed with the cartoon characters. Some of them were really good and catchy, like the famous Zippity-Doo-Dah song. But oversensitive people could possibly twist around his less than perfect diction and grinning hap-hap-happiness to be racially demeaning. So now Disney has decided not to re-release this one again.

Seems like a mistake to me; Remus wasn't an Uncle Tom, just annoyingly happy. But his songs and stories rocked. And as for his intelligence, well, he was a storyteller and an old wise figure, not a Stepin Fetchit kind of fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the one i was just askin the name to a post above this one!!!!! i loveddddddddddddddd that movie used to watch that and Mary Poppins

M2d
10-13-2005, 07:05 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh my what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine heading my way

Mister Bluebird on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actch'll
Ev'rything is satisfactch'll
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!

Blarg
10-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Catchy stuff. They used to show this on t.v. when I was a kid, and little kids loved it. The cartoon stories were fun, too.

Argus
10-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I think all the people that voted for Dumbo should rewatch both Dumbo and Fantasia, then come back and beg to change their votes.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Both of them are nowhere near the top of the list.

Argus
10-13-2005, 08:02 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Both of them are nowhere near the top of the list.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Fantasia" is completely avant-garde and somewhat highbrow, so I can see why some people might not like it. But to think that a film of its magnitude is nowhere near the top of the list is showing an ignorance of how innovative this film was to Disney's future development.

It came out in 1940, and the techniques developed to create the visual effects they wanted changed the way animated films were made. Although "Fantasia" itself often forgot about characters to instead create a work of visual and aural beauty, the softness and depth of the animation carried over into all their future works.

Of course innovation alone does not earn a film merit, but "Fantasia" is more than innovation. It abandons preconceived notions of what makes a Disney film, but the interpretation of classical works is fantastically done. They breath life into music, and the music makes the animation seem more vibrant. This isn't as easy as it might appear at first, and I enjoy it.

"Dumbo" on the other hand, is brief, trite, low-budget, and childish. I prefer children's shows that have an equal appeal to everyone (eg. "SpongeBob SqaurePants", "Aladdin"). "Dumbo" isn't the worst of the Disney's films, but it certainly stands in sharp contrast to "Fantasia", especially considering it was their next film. It certainly has its moments, but there is nothing remarkable about it. It's merely one of the first entries in a long series of children's fairytales. For a film to be considered the best, I think it ought to have something recommending itself beyond being a pleasant way to spend an hour. I cannot imagine watching "Dumbo" over and over, but there is so much depth and uniqueness to "Fantasia" that I have watched it over 30 times.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, for all the checkmarks that could be put beside Fantasia's name for it's virtues, it is inconsistent, with some parts so vastly overshadowing others in watchability that it feels very uneven and sometimes actually a bit dull. It's a movie ideal for fast-forwarding through to get to the good parts. Because of the disparate quality of the segments, I have to give this one a nod for its achievements and high points, but rank it as one that's often more "interesting" than enjoyable. I feel almost obligated to like it in a scholarly way rather than simply like it. I find myself having to try too hard to like it. I can feel the effort.

Vavavoom
10-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Wow.....this is a good thread...however...they should have been seeded correctly....

Robin Hood is one of my faves - But is up against the Goliath of Disney Films...(Snow White)

Modern - I'm thinking Lion King/ Little Mermaid for best modern...

Dumbo/Pinocchio/Jungle Book....Some personal faves...this is tough....

**Edit**

Beauty &amp; the Beast (can't see how this is not in classics)....It's up against The Little Mermaid &amp; Lion King (Which happens to be one of the highest grossing films ever...IIRC)...This is tough...

BTW - How the hell is Fantasia beating Dumbo....No Way !

bholdr
10-14-2005, 03:35 AM
do da do dat do dat do dat
dit da do dat dit-dat dooo
dit da do dat dat dee dit-dat doo
ahh dit dah doo dah doooo...

that robin hood tune...

I'm gonna be humming that all night, damn you!

JaBlue
10-14-2005, 03:38 AM
jungle book and lion king

PS you need an option for "i have seen neither"

Vavavoom
10-14-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

that robin hood tune...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have all the disney soundtracks on my IPOD and Itunes when I'm playing P*kie.....

"Prince John, that phoney king of England...."

M0n3y0nf1r3
10-14-2005, 04:09 AM
Have we all forgotten about the "Great mouse detective"? It pwns most of the movies here, cept for Beuty/Beast, Aladin, and Lion king.
-Andrew

bholdr
10-14-2005, 04:11 AM
i am renting that movie TOMORROW!

still the best robin hood flick (with men in tights a close second)

Luzion
10-14-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy but Beauty and the Beast and Lion King did nothing for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG.. are you kidding?

rmattman
10-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I believe that Song of the South may still be available in PAL format in the UK. Otherwise, bootleg copies in the format widely used in the US are usually available on Ebay, most of which were recorded from Laserdisc (if you don't mind the Japanese subtitles during the songs).

CrazyEyez
10-14-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

that robin hood tune...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have all the disney soundtracks on my IPOD and Itunes when I'm playing P*kie.....

"Prince John, that phoney king of England...."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the safety on ol' Betsy?

http://lnx.ginevra2000.it/Disney/robin/sheriff.gif

SL__72
10-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Such a great movie... Its the only one from which I have a full some memorized...