PDA

View Full Version : I bluff in a tourney, other players offer cash for him to call

paperboyNC
10-13-2005, 01:30 PM
We have a 20 person, 2 table home tourney $20 buyin. Blinds are 600/1200 with 6 players left at our table. It's folded to me in the SB and I go all-in for 9,000 chips with K/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.

The BB has 14,000 chips and shows K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif face up while thinking. Our tourney has no time limit on decisions unless someone calls time, so he thinks for over two minutes.

Other players start offering him cash to call. They came up with $3 if he called me. I didn't want to say anything at the time because then he'd know I was dominated.

He ended folding, but I think that's against the rules, no?

TheCroShow
10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
that is so wrong, that is breaking a rule of some sort.

FouTight
10-13-2005, 01:43 PM
You should have ultra bluffed and offered him some money to call you too.

BillFranklin
10-13-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We have a 20 person, 2 table home tourney $20 buyin. Blinds are 600/1200 with 6 players left at our table. It's folded to me in the SB and I go all-in for 9,000 chips with K/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.

The BB has 14,000 chips and shows K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif face up while thinking. Our tourney has no time limit on decisions unless someone calls time, so he thinks for over two minutes.

Other players start offering him cash to call. They came up with $3 if he called me. I didn't want to say anything at the time because then he'd know I was dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

a few things (could be wrong but i don't think so)
1) Isn't a hand considered dead once a player shows his cards?
2) One player per hand. This a rule everywhere.
3) Poker Etiquette(sp?) really states that only players in the hand are supposed to speak at the table (although every home game breaks this rule i suppose)

10-13-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S funny /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But to the question at hand, that's complete BS. I'm not sure this technically fits under the one player to a hand rule but it's close.

paperboyNC
10-13-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he did, would I have to both lose the hand and fork over the cash?

EStreet20
10-13-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a few things (could be wrong but i don't think so)
1) Isn't a hand considered dead once a player shows his cards?
3) Poker Etiquette(sp?) really states that only players in the hand are supposed to speak at the table (although every home game breaks this rule i suppose

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Depends on house rules, many cardrooms say your hand is dead if you expose one or more cards. However many also say you can show your cards before a call if it's headsup (including tourneys, I actually still think the WSOP has this rule). Some, I've only seen this at NL at Showboat in AC, allow you to show either one or both cards at any time in a hand (regardless of number of people left)which I thought would be completely stupid to do. I couldn't believe it, but I heard it directly from the pokerroom director the only night I've been there (about a week after they opened). But either way, before a home tourney the host should lay out these kinds of rules.

2. Yes, they clearly were breaking or at least somehow infringing on this rule and should be penalized.

3. Yeah everyone speaks but no one should speak in violation of rule number 2 which they clearly did.

Overall, it's a tough spot, you don't want to give your hand away by speaking up. If I were you I'd talk to who runs the game and get him to inform the others that such BS won't be tolerated and if it happens again the offending party forfeits his/her buyin. Those asshles could've changed the outcome of the whole tourney.

Good luck,
Matt

FouTight
10-13-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he did, would I have to both lose the hand and fork over the cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, you could always suckout.

In reality, if anyone ever offered to "Pay" me to call their bet, I would do it in a second.

EStreet20
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Also no offense but after re-readng your post that was a pretty dumb move on your part as well. After my first read I assumed you were ridiculously short stacked, but you're not, and to make such a move with six people left and in an attempt to steal only one blind is probably not wise.

10-13-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also no offense but after re-readng your post that was a pretty dumb move on your part as well. After my first read I assumed you were ridiculously short stacked, but you're not, and to make such a move with six people left and in an attempt to steal only one blind is probably not wise.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, but that wasn't the question. if I were you i would have loved to yell at your friends to shut up, but he probably would have called and you would have been dominated. since this is a home game, there isn't much you can do, except not invite them back /images/graemlins/grin.gif

warewulf
10-13-2005, 03:03 PM
That is REALLY messed up! After the hand I would definitely yell at the people offering the money and have a talk with the host.

Regarding showing cards, I have a few players that will show their hands AFTER going all in so that someone chasing a flush wont try to suck out. Last night a guy showed a set of Kings on the turn because he knew the other guy was on a flush draw. I would never show in that situation, but I'm not afraid of a suck out every now and then.

My favorite is when I have AK preflop and someone tries to intimidate me by showing an Ace. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DoomSlice
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Call shenanegans, that is incredibly wrong.

MrMoo
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
No offense but if you aren't capable of making similar moves with < 8BB's you should seriously reconsider your tournament strategy.

paperboyNC
10-13-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There were 6 left at our table, 6 at the other table (12 people left, top 3 get paid)

10-13-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to clarify what this means. Does this mean that for a given hand, only one person has decision making power over what play to make?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just wanna be sure.

EStreet20
10-13-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There were 6 left at our table, 6 at the other table (12 people left, top 3 get paid)

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad,
I thought you meant 6 left total. Guess you were in a pretty desperate situation.

John Bedtelyon
10-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Showing his set of kings makes his hand dead...so, he went all in and folded.

JMB

warewulf
10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
No, I let people show their hands (I'm the host). If they want to show what they have, by all means! It might make my decision easier. I would never do it though.

Socrates
10-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Let me get this straight - if I have a set of Kings and go all in, I can turn my hand over before someone calls or folds? Why in the hell would I want to do that? Now, I can see the rule where the person who is left to call or not (with no other action behind mind you) can turn up his cards, but the person who moves all in? That makes no sense what so ever.

Let's say you move in and show your AQ two pair on a AKQ board. Well, I have AK so now my desicon is very easy becasue you showed me what you moved in with. Don't you think that defeats the purpose of the game? I mean, there is no decision to be made, you're either beat or not. Whether or not you call with a draw would be based on odds / read alone, not seeing the other hand. SO you show me a set of Kings. Well I have a flush draw. I have the same hand and odds that I had before you showed me, same decision. Yes, you can come up with scenarios that would make more sense, like flush draw against a boat etc... but overall this is just silly.

Lottery Larry
10-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Definately against the rules. How would THEY like it if you talked someone into calling against THEM?

Ricardido
10-14-2005, 11:39 PM
only 3$? that sucks.

chesspain
10-15-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Other players start offering him cash to call. They came up with $3 if he called me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very uncool. I would definately say something after the hand.

TheBlueMonster
10-15-2005, 07:26 PM
besides the illegality of the $3 to call thing, flipping his cards face up while deciding to call is illegal as well.

SCfuji
10-15-2005, 10:42 PM
what a crooked [censored] game.

flatline
10-16-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Showing his set of kings makes his hand dead...so, he went all in and folded.

JMB

[/ QUOTE ]

Never post again.

flatline
10-16-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
besides the illegality of the $3 to call thing, flipping his cards face up while deciding to call is illegal as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if that is the rule. Home games set their own rules.

10-16-2005, 11:44 PM
If your playing serious poker then yes this is terrible and also why I don't like playing with my good friends who don't like poker but play time to time. It just drives me nuts, they play without looking at their hand, go all in a lot on nothing, try to stare you down and make certain moves, it's pretty much a mockery of the game. Either realize it's a tourny where people are just messing around for small amounts (as in when I play with those guys) or do what I did and find people who are more knowledgeable about the game and take the game more seriously.

Scotty O
10-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Bad form with all players involved

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SheridanCat
10-17-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
flipping his cards face up while deciding to call is illegal as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, oh why, do people persist in believing this is the case? If the local rules say this is the rule, then fine. But if you're playing by TDA rules, your hand IS NOT DEAD.

You may get a penalty, but that's a whole other thing.

Regards,

T