PDA

View Full Version : Short-money players at the table

RiverJohn
05-29-2003, 01:56 AM
In general, how does it affect your play when there are one or two short-money players at the table?

Specifically, we'll assume these players are not very good (average?). Let's further assume that there is one very good player (besides yourself, of course!) and one other average player, both with a sufficient bankroll.

Is this game worth playing? Or might the two short-money players get lucky and grab a good portion of your stack, while your potential is very limited?

I ask this because these situations frequently occur in online $3/6 games.

Would it change your answer if both fully-funded players were good?

Do you start folding all but your very good hands now, try to get it headsup with the short playera on upper-mediocre hands, or play somewhat normally?

Ginogino
05-29-2003, 03:27 PM
RiverJohn:
Two points... First, shortstacked players frequently are on a special kind of tilt, in that they are looking for any excuse to get their money in so that they can quit the game and do something else, so frequently their ordinary betting/raising standards are even lower than usual.

A second note is that some players with "normal" stacks become easier to bluff once there is an all-in player in the pot. If the all-in player is only in for the pre-flop betting, the side pot can become substantially larger than the main pot, and some players still in the main pot are less likely to call a bluff since they figure they'll get to see your hand eventually (this is especially true of the player whose motivation to call you down consists mainly of fear of losing to an unknown hand).

Gino

RiverJohn
05-30-2003, 01:53 AM
ThanX Ginogino,

I use the second strategy at times...figure it out on my own during the hand.

Are there any other specific strategy changes that are recommended?

stripsqueez
05-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Hi
i'm with Ginogino , in particular his first point...ie these players are often looking for an excuse to lose the last of thier $$ and leave

i have done well taking opportunities to get them heads-up such as raising their pre-flop raise with hands that can win without improvement , ie small pairs or ace or king high